Author Topic: PV80 or PV8  (Read 1130 times)

Offline rafmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PV80 or PV8
« on: Feb 08, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
I'm buying  second plasma tv in 2 weeks time. Currently I have a Panny PV70 and now I'm choosing  between the PV80 and PV8. Price difference is just 5k. I will do side by side comparison when I get back from a trip next weekend, but would need to get your opinions. I remember before comparing the PV70 and PV7, the resolution and picture quality was leagues apart.

TIA

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: PV80 or PV8
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:01 PM »
pv80 of course! ;)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:26 PM »
I'm buying  second plasma tv in 2 weeks time. Currently I have a Panny PV70 and now I'm choosing  between the PV80 and PV8. Price difference is just 5k. I will do side by side comparison when I get back from a trip next weekend, but would need to get your opinions. I remember before comparing the PV70 and PV7, the resolution and picture quality was leagues apart.

TIA

For that extra 5k you get the following from the PV80

-The ECO picture mode (adjusts picture automatically depending on your lighting conditions)
-Additional HDMI input
-SD Card reader
-Swivel stand
-Piano black finish

Hope this helps=)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:29 PM »
For that extra 5k you get the following from the PV80

-The ECO picture mode (adjusts picture automatically depending on your lighting conditions)
-Additional HDMI input
-SD Card reader
-Swivel stand
-Piano black finish

Hope this helps=)

UPDATE: Picture quality is identical, just that the PV80 has a slighter brighter picture yet retaining the well known plasma black level.

Both have 1,000,000 to 1 Dyna contrast ratio and a native contrast ratio of 15,000 to 1.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 05:32 PM »
If I'd do it over again I will get the PV80 instead of the PV8. It's not that I don't like my PV8...it's great.
But for 5K and the extra things Carlo listed I think it's worth it.
I specifically like the extra HDMI input  ;D ;D ;D
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:08 PM »

Meron ka rin lang PV70, hintayin mo nalang yung X1.  30k:1 contrast ratio, new video engine (again and of course), video playback through SD card, tapos mas energy efficient, and bago style ng remote control (hehehe).  Out na sa Tokyo since 28 January so the international models should be available elsewhere within the next few months.  No need to rush on the 8 series now I think.  Bili ka around middle or 3rd quarter of the year.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:16 AM »
Sir,

I have a PV8, and very satisfied ... there should be not much of a difference (if any) in picture quality considering they are using the same panel ... it may probably boil down to the price difference ... if I am buying the unit now, I'll likely get the PV80 because the difference is only 5k - this was 10-15k when I bought the unit hence the price difference was really substantial, that was more than 6 months ago.

I'm saying that the price difference is the key, because most of the added features in the PV80 are not really that important in my case (and probably other users depending on their needs) ... here's my take on the added features of the PV80 over the PV8

• Swivel Stand - no use to me (why swivel a 42-inch plasma tv? screen is large, viewing angle is great)
  • 3 HDMI - I only need two (DVD and TViX) ... I can always use my Denon AVR if I need additional HDMI inputs
  • SD Card reader - my DVD player have USB-in, I can always plug my card reader and use any format of flash memory (I use Memory stick btw for my camera)
  • ECO - can be compensated with manual adjustments (not sure if this is really used, I had the same thing on my old tv, but I prefer the manual)
  • Piano Finish - well, this was actually the feature that I was wanting to have ... this is what could have swayed my decision when I was buying the unit

On another note regarding the 5k price difference now - if you do not have an HT setup yet, you can use the 5k to buy an HTIB ... sellers usually package an HTIB by just adding 5k ... PV8 is a GOOD BUY!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:59 AM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 01:18 AM »
Meron ka rin lang PV70, hintayin mo nalang yung X1.  30k:1 contrast ratio, new video engine (again and of course), video playback through SD card, tapos mas energy efficient, and bago style ng remote control (hehehe).  Out na sa Tokyo since 28 January so the international models should be available elsewhere within the next few months.  No need to rush on the 8 series now I think.  Bili ka around middle or 3rd quarter of the year.

the price is too good to refuse  ;D

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 01:20 AM »
Sir,

I have a PV8, and very satisfied ... there should be not much of a difference (if any) in picture quality considering they are using the same panel ... it may probably boil down to the price difference ... if I am buying the unit now, I'll likely get the PV80 because the difference is only 5k - this was 10-15k when I bought the unit hence the price difference was really substantial, that was more than 6 months ago.

I'm saying that the price difference is the key, because most of the added features in the PV80 are not really that important in my case (and probably other users depending on their needs) ... here's my take on the added features of the PV80 over the PV8

• Swivel Stand - no use to me (why swivel a 42-inch plasma tv? screen is large, viewing angle is great)
  • 3 HDMI - I only need two (DVD and TViX) ... I can always use my Denon AVR if I need additional HDMI inputs
  • SD Card reader - my DVD player have USB-in, I can always plug my card reader and use any format of flash memory (I use Memory stick btw for my camera)
  • ECO - can be compensated with manual adjustments (not sure if this is really used, I had the same thing on my old tv, but I prefer the manual)
  • Piano Finish - well, this was actually the feature that I was wanting to have ... this is what could have swayed my decision when I was buying the unit

On another note regarding the 5k price difference now - if you do not have an HT setup yet, you can use the 5k to buy an HTIB ... sellers usually package an HTIB by just adding 5k ... PV8 is a GOOD BUY!  ;D

thanks for the feedback. the price diff is very minimal and i guess i'll have todo a side by side comparison. not really a fan of htib

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 06:01 AM »
im a pv8 user myself and it is a good buy ;D, side by side comparison might not be as fruitfull since these units have basically the exact specs :D, the only differences have already been stated above (3 hdmi, piano finish, swivel, sd card slot) ;D

my take on this is think about what gadgets will you be using on the tv, will you be using just 1 hdmi device? 2? or 3? :)

but, if it was me, id go for the pv80, an additional hdmi slot is what ill go for specially since i have multiple hdmi devices =)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
laking bagay nung extra hdmi in my case  :)
ninjababez online ..