Author Topic: A TV series reboot  (Read 1274 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
A TV series reboot
« on: Feb 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM »
Since Hollywood has a penchant for "rebooting" old movies to gain more mileage out of different franchises, then it stands to reason that TV series could too. But let's get away from how Hollywood would do it and see how you could re-imagine an established TV series. If you were a producer or writer what TV series would be a good candidate for a reboot and how would you do it?

If I could, I would reboot Sapphire and Steel and turn it into a mad Grant Morrison sci-fi, fantasy, psychedelic adventure not unlike The Invisibles. No leaving your brain at the door for this new series. It's going to be thought provoking, with plots you will have to pay attention to in order to understand. The series is already like Morrison's wet dream anyway so bringing it to the most extreme in that direction would be a great idea. Oh, and I'd bring in more of the elements to the show. The original series only showed two other elements aside from the title characters.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM by indie boy »

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A TV series reboot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
One of my favorite Philip K. Dick essays was an imaginary episode of Mission Impossible. His version of Mission Impossible, I'd watch that. Only one problem, though - - - he's dead.

Sapphire & Steel filtered through Grant Morrison? I'd watch that, too. And I won't be surprised if it crossed the man's mind at some point. He actually re-booted another Brit Sci-Fic classic, The Avengers  on a comicbook.

The closest TV has come to achieving the weird density of Morrison might well be JJ Abrams' Lost. There's a series that requires you to pay attention. Which probably explains why many people like it, it hurts too much to think through it. . . so they turn it off and watch Heroes instead.  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:21 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
But to answer indie's question properly . . .

. . if it were up to me, I'd reboot The Six Million Dollar Man. The Bionic Woman reboot sucked bigtime. My version would be a dark utterly frakked-up cyberpunk cocktail of black science, body horror, sadomasochism, nanotechnology, government conspiracies and high-tech espionage. Tone is somewhere between David Cronenberg, William Gibson and  Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Maybe I'll get Warren Ellis to write it. And Shinya Tsukamoto  of Tetsuo fame  himself to direct the pilot.

Also, I'd like to see a CSI in a city with some pretty bizarre and perverted  crimes. CSI Japan, yeah. As to who'll write and direct? Oh man, take your pick - - - Hideo Nakata, Takashi Miike,  Kiyoshi Kurosawa,  Tsuakamoto again.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:35 PM by X44 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:41 PM »
Also, I'd like to see a CSI in a city with some pretty bizarre and perverted  crimes. CSI Japan, yeah. As to who'll write and direct? Oh man, take your pick - - - Hideo Nakata, Takashi Miike,  Kiyoshi Kurosawa,  Tsuakamoto again.

That would be a massive production because in Japan where crime rate is very low, and where many of the police officers have nothing to do but check on illegally parked BICYLCE near train stations, or practice running along the pedestrian lane, I'd estimate at least 5000 police officers would be on hand to solve a single crime.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:44 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:57 PM »
Well, it is fiction. And you could do it like the Brits, 6 episodes per season, hindi OA kagaya ng Amerika. Also, they have ghosts there that manifest as physiological wounds or diseases. And Yakuza.

Plus, CSIs aren't police offciers, di ba? They're scientists. ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:59 PM by X44 »

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 07:08 PM »
I'd remake UFO with ah...um...er...what am I saying? The series was perfect--dark stories, groovy clothes, cool vehicles, and all. If anything else, I've would've liked the series extended with more seasons and episodes, with added insight and revelations of the aliens' sinister purpose on Earth. A remake would be great, particularly if they kept the series within the time frame of the 1970's. SHADO rules!
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 07:11 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 07:12 PM »
SHADO rules indeed! And Stryker is da man!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM »
I'd reboot BJ and the Bear, and as a bit of stunt casting, cast one of the original Landers sisters as "The Bear."  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...