Author Topic: Info on step by step PS3 internet connectivity  (Read 3299 times)

Offline BassProAddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Info on step by step PS3 internet connectivity
« on: Mar 05, 2009 at 02:00 PM »
Hi all. How do you connect the PS3 to the internet? I have good DSL connection in my house.Do I need a router? Do I need a modem too (my PC is far from the PS3 but phone jack near the PS3)?

Can anybody here lend their expertise?

TIA

Online frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Info on step by step PS3 internet connectivity
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 06:21 PM »
marami options since ps3 can be connected through wired or wireless. assuming naka pldt dsl ka then i would suggest getting a wireless router.

internet -- dsl modem -- router -- pc and ps3 (wireless)

Offline BassProAddict

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2009 at 08:58 AM »
Can I NOT have a PC connected to the PS3?

So...
Internet data cable-->modem(doesn't the ps3 have a built in modem?)-->router-->PS3?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2009 at 10:13 AM by BassProAddict »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
Can I NOT have a PC connected to the PS3?

So...
Internet data cable-->modem(doesn't the ps3 have a built in modem?)-->router-->PS3?

Nope, the PS3 doesn't have a built-in modem. You technically can have your PC share the internet connection with your PS3 but that would mean that your PC has to be on if you want to play online. It's too much hassle, not advisable.

Best get yourself a router.  :)

Offline BassProAddict

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
So what's the connection sequence?

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM »
connection sequence will be

dsl modem > router > pc's and ps3

sorry dont know how to make it into a triangle (for the pc and ps3)

better get yourself a wireless router para walang hassle sa cables, once you've set everything up, just open internet connections sa ps3 settings and connect via wireless or wired mode

if youre thinking about playing online, i'd suggest you go wired kase its much more stable than going wireless (well it also depends on how far away your ps3 is from your router)

hope this helps!

Offline robvillegas

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 04:11 PM »
If I may add:

Medyo maselan ang PS3 when it comes to wireless routers. I use a Netgear wgr614 ver. 4 at home and ayaw (i've tried all the configurations) magconnect ng PS3 unless i turn password protection off. So i ended up with an unprotected wifi signal, pero i disabled SSID broadcast.

sometimes din, when Im online with the ps3, it affects the other laptops connected via wifi. if only malapit sa play room ko yung router, i'd use a wired connection.

hope this helps.

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 04:16 PM »
i'd have to agree with that, my ps3 cant even get a decent signal when my laptop's on and connected, i'd have to turn off the laptop when i connect to the ps store para lang maka sign on ako, if not, kahit ilang beses ako magsisign on walang mangyayari  >:(

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 01:03 AM »
i use a PS3 with a d-link n-router... it's in my room and shares the internet connection with 2 other laptops (the router is in the living room) ... in fact NOTHING in the house is connected to the router via a hard wire except for the modem. all of the computers are on wi-fi. and i have not had any problem with it. whether its connecting to the playstation store or surfing the web or downloading updates (a 77MB update downloads in 3 mins.)

i am a little puzzled at why you guys are having trouble hooking your PS3s to your internet connection via wi-fi. i think the only change i did was assign a specific IP address to it (via d-link's network menu) and it connect without trouble all the time. :)

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:16 AM »
@ SPaCeMaN SPiFF

wow, really? im puzzled as well since im really getting a bit frustrated when updating and trying to sign up for stuff on the ps store.  :(

though when we use my bro's ps3 on the upstairs sala, we dont encounter the problems we encounter on my unit in my room.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:05 PM »
yup... not really sure if i did anything different. the wi-fi connection is secure, so i just had to configure the wi-fi settings with the security info and i was good to go.

heh heh... i even signed up on to the playstation network via the ps3. everytime i put in a newly purchased game pa nga, it downloads the update right away. without any trouble. plus it even detects one of the laptops as a media server. lol.

happy with it so far... :)

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 08:05 AM »
buti nalang sa new house e nasa room ko na un wireless router, so that means more wifi signal for my ps3, hehehe, and yup, my ps3 detects all the pc's in our house as media servers, and there are times that I can actually access them (after some configurations with windows media player)  ;D

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009 at 02:38 PM »
i use a PS3 with a d-link n-router... it's in my room and shares the internet connection with 2 other laptops (the router is in the living room) ... in fact NOTHING in the house is connected to the router via a hard wire except for the modem. all of the computers are on wi-fi. and i have not had any problem with it. whether its connecting to the playstation store or surfing the web or downloading updates (a 77MB update downloads in 3 mins.)

i am a little puzzled at why you guys are having trouble hooking your PS3s to your internet connection via wi-fi. i think the only change i did was assign a specific IP address to it (via d-link's network menu) and it connect without trouble all the time. :)

Ako rin bro.  I have a desktop computer and a macbook both connected via wi-fi and my PS3 has no problems whatsoever connecting via wi-fi (except for the fact na nag aagawan sila ng IP but I resolved that immediately by assigning different IPs to all three.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009 at 02:39 PM by SiCkBoY »