Author Topic: VIVA Blu-ray distribution  (Read 7722 times)

Offline ob120485

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • A Sith Lord w/ Elder Wand, One Ring & Walther PPK.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
VIVA Blu-ray distribution
« on: Mar 08, 2009 at 12:46 AM »
I was at AstroVision at SM City Dvo last night and the manager showed me a list of Blu-ray movies under 20th Century Fox available for order basis. They are selling at Php 1,500.

I can't totally recall the list but here are some of the titles listed:

Alvin and the Chipmuks Movie
Die Another Day
Devil Wear's Prada
Alien Vs. Predator 2
Night at the Museum
Passion of the Christ
Transporter
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
The Day After Tomorrow
Daredevil Director's Cut
and etc...

As far as I reviewed the threads, I saw no posts yet regarding this. Can I ask for verification from other sources, stores or etc regarding this? Thanks!  :)

Offline chuck427

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
Re: VIVA Blu-ray distribution
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 07:38 AM »
There also selling Bluray's in Cebu Astro as well for Php 1500.. though its not only Fox but also Paramount (Indiana Jones) and Sony Pictures (Starship Troopers).. Still too expensive for me...Amazon would still be best place to order i think.. ;D ;D ;D
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 08:43 AM »
Ya they have these in Astro Makati. The other branches probably have these too. I recently bought Silence of the lambs and Passion of the Christ (these are around 23 dollars in amazon, so imo great buy na). Imo, these are good prices na for a start, although I also find them kinda expensive (I wish they can be priced at 1,200, 1,500, and 1,700 tops.) However, buying locally in Astro is good if you want to buy one or two pieces lang. In amazon, to save shipping, I usually try buying a minimum of at least 8 discs to maximize shipping, so I usually end up spending more. Meron little advantage din buying locally.

I also noticed that some of these titles by sony are already out there 1 week before amazons release date. So thats another advantage if one can't wait ;D.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2009 at 08:45 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 09:56 AM »
Hay naku, I just checked the Silence of the lambs now and noticed at the back it says 25 gig. Special features listed at the back are just the following
1. Breaking the silence
2. Understanding the madness
3. Original theatrical trailer

Ok I got into the disc and checked out the features, looks the same naman on the features listed in hidefdigest.
The only thing now is I wonder if this is a 50 gig disc or talagang 25 gig

Oh well, should have bought at amazon, especially on my favorites just to be safe. This is one of my favorites and I can't believe I got ripped off like this if indeed this is a 25 gig disc.

Checked the video now and it looks pretty good naman, beginning it looks like dvd (I jumped to conclusion at the beginning of the film ;D), as the movie moves on its better. The best this movie can look I guess.

Its totally my fault for not checking the back first I guess. Oh well, charge it to experience.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2009 at 11:22 AM by Moks007 »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 11:22 AM »
Hay naku, I just checked the Silence of the lambs now and noticed at the back it says 25 gig.

Ok I got into the disc and checked out the features, looks the same naman on the features listed in hidefdigest.
The only thing now is I wonder if this is a 50 gig disc or talagang 25 gig

Oh well, should have bought at amazon, especially on my favorites just to be safe. This is one of my favorites and I can't believe I got ripped off like this if indeed this is a 25 gig disc.

Checked the video now and it looks pretty good naman, beginning it looks like dvd (I jumped to conclusion ;D), as the movie moves on its better. The best this movie can look I guess.

Its totally my fault for not checking the back first I guess. Oh well, charge it to experience.

Review at Amazon:
"Don't bother with this Blu-ray...
I just watched the 2 disc collectors edition a couple days back and loved it so when I spotted this in the store today I snapped it up. Trouble is....without a serious A/B test....it didn't really look ANY better than the standard disc and is twice the price. Frankly ...I wish I had NOT purchased this on BLU-RAY and its one of my favorite movies. Much of this will no doubt be due to the available light photography for the film which doesn't upgrade well..but be warned."

Look like it's the same at Amazon.  So I hope you are comforted...  :)

Yeah, some titles like Passion of The Christ is cheap.  I am just wary to watch all that gore in High-Def.  The SD version is moving enough for me...

OT na pala...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 11:36 AM »
Review at Amazon:
"Don't bother with this Blu-ray...
I just watched the 2 disc collectors edition a couple days back and loved it so when I spotted this in the store today I snapped it up. Trouble is....without a serious A/B test....it didn't really look ANY better than the standard disc and is twice the price. Frankly ...I wish I had NOT purchased this on BLU-RAY and its one of my favorite movies. Much of this will no doubt be due to the available light photography for the film which doesn't upgrade well..but be warned."

Look like it's the same at Amazon.  So I hope you are comforted...  :)

Yeah, some titles like Passion of The Christ is cheap.  I am just wary to watch all that gore in High-Def.  The SD version is moving enough for me...

OT na pala...

hehe... the pic quality looked little better as the movie went forward. But ya its really not anything to be excited about. I would rate it around 3 to 3.5 stars the most. Can you believe best buy ata is charging around 44 dollars for this film (I read this somewhere). Crazy talaga ;D

hehe..ya Passion of the Christ indeed have that gory scene. I already told my wife if we watch it together I will fast forward that scene ;D..I can't take/bear that scene also

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 12:01 PM »
With Viva distributing Bluray, I am having second thoughts whether to preorder Slumdog Millionaire.  Wonder if they will bring in Bluray from Fox Searchlight...

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Re: VIVA Blu-ray distribution (and WARNING to those who want to buy)
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 10:49 PM »
Warning
on PASSION OF THE CHRIST (Viva Bluray):

Region: A, B, C

50Gig Disc.  On my Samsung BDP-1500, it keep returning to title screen when I press play. Updated my player's firmware (have not done so since purchase), and the problem goes away.  Many Fox Bluray requires the latest firmware, and this is one of them.  BD Disc content is satisfactory, mirrors US BD disc.  It says 'Made in Austria'.

My main issue is that the DVD case back says it's two-discs with the second disc being a Standard DVD that contains documentaries and some deleted scenes.   The one distributed by Viva is One Bluray disc and nothing else.  No second disc.  I notice something might be amiss when after I went home and realize that it doesn't have the white sticker on top of most (99%) of R1 DVD or Blurays.  So I opened it up and found that it's is missing the second disc.

It's not much of an issue for me, since I already have the Definitive Edition DVD, and the second disc seems similar (according to description).   But for all others be forewarned!  No wonder it's cheaper (when shipping is counted) than Amazon's price.

Viva up to it's old tricks of one-disc instead of two-discs even if the package says it's two-disc.  No problem for me, if it's an old title and the price has already been discounted (like Snow White DVD), but at 1,500, these Bluray are full-price.  You expect everything that's listed should be available...

Not a problem if the Bluray contains only one-disc but if it's two, be sure to check before buying...
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 12:34 AM by techdude »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
Re: VIVA Blu-ray distribution (and WARNING to those who want to buy)
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 08:05 AM »
Warning
on PASSION OF THE CHRIST (Viva Bluray):

Region: A, B, C

50Gig Disc.  On my Samsung BDP-1500, it keep returning to title screen when I press play. Updated my player's firmware (have not done so since purchase), and the problem goes away.  Many Fox Bluray requires the latest firmware, and this is one of them.  BD Disc content is satisfactory, mirrors US BD disc.  It says 'Made in Austria'.

My main issue is that the DVD case back says it's two-discs with the second disc being a Standard DVD that contains documentaries and some deleted scenes.   The one distributed by Viva is One Bluray disc and nothing else.  No second disc.  I notice something might be amiss when after I went home and realize that it doesn't have the white sticker on top of most (99%) of R1 DVD or Blurays.  So I opened it up and found that it's is missing the second disc.

It's not much of an issue for me, since I already have the Definitive Edition DVD, and the second disc seems similar (according to description).   But for all others be forewarned!  No wonder it's cheaper (when shipping is counted) than Amazon's price.

Viva up to it's old tricks of one-disc instead of two-discs even if the package says it's two-disc.  No problem for me, if it's an old title and the price has already been discounted (like Snow White DVD), but at 1,500, these Bluray are full-price.  You expect everything that's listed should be available...

Not a problem if the Bluray contains only one-disc but if it's two, be sure to check before buying...

Thanks for the info, sir..I just checked it now and ya its a one disc. Stupid me, I already read the back couple days ago and really don't know the reason I did not notice its a one disc when i opened it. I also notice that it has no sticker seal nga on top of the disc like the region 1's. I also notice that it says Directors Edition, not Definitive edition.

SCREW YOU VIVA. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY FROM YOU. I know its my fault, I really have to check amazon details first or the disc's details in the net before buying. Sometimes I even go to Netopia or any internet cafe to check something out right there mismo before buying bec I have doubts sometimes. This time I was just browsing and can't stop my itch again. I guess my itch turned to a bruise. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(..

This is not cheaper versus amazon/jac..but I thought ok na for 1500. Amazon/jac is around 1200 to 1300. Oh well..

By the way, I will try to return this bec there is a justification for it. It says 2 disc at the back but only one disc. I will try to get my refund today. I'm ready to fight this.  ;D..Suntukan if I have to... haha.. No naman, Im cool 8) ;D

Thanks again sir for the info
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 08:07 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 08:36 AM »
Wait a minute Im confused now. I just checked amazon and it says also one disc. Is this a one disc or two disc version? I went into the disc now and the special features are the same ones listed in hidefdigest on the one disc. The other features that are listed in the "so called" disc 2 at the back are nowhere to be found.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 10:12 AM »
Baka nga, there could be two flavors.  But the review on DVDTalk says it contains a second Standard Defintion disc:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36408/passion-of-the-christ-the/

And since the case states clearly the second disc, I believe Amazon will have that second disc (Amazon's info are not always accurate). DVD Empire list it as two-disc (BD + SD):
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1435424
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 10:13 AM by techdude »

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 10:15 AM »
sorry, removed my post.  i thought you guys were talking about silence of the lambs.. passion of the christ pala.  hehehe.  my bad.   ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 05:23 PM »

I don't get those guys from Viva.  They really think there's a high price elasticity of demand for BD?

Quality ranks much higher than price for BD customers.  Otherwise, they would have bought a budget DVD-5. 

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 09:48 PM »
sorry, removed my post.  i thought you guys were talking about silence of the lambs.. passion of the christ pala.  hehehe.  my bad.   ;D
Actually, the post is relevant, as it shows there might be variation of releases of the same title, as moks007 stated Passion was listed as 1 disc on Amazon.  But I still think it's a typo...

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 10:06 PM »
Actually, the post is relevant, as it shows there might be variation of releases of the same title, as moks007 stated Passion was listed as 1 disc on Amazon.  But I still think it's a typo...

ok, so reposting:

Wait a minute Im confused now. I just checked amazon and it says also one disc. Is this a one disc or two disc version? I went into the disc now and the special features are the same ones listed in hidefdigest on the one disc. The other features that are listed in the "so called" disc 2 at the back are nowhere to be found.

Could there be two versions of this release?

One is this:

And the other one is this:

Maybe the one in green background is the 2-disc version where the VIVA-released BD was copied from?  ???

Just a thought...  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 10:07 PM by coffeetiger »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 07:19 AM »

Ya I think its a typo. I went back to Astro yesterday and told them I want a refund. "as usual" they told me they don't do refunds. I told them its not my fault and I have most of the titles there. But I don't feel like arguing with them, so as usual "pakisama nalang" I will probably just change it to Pink Panther, street fighter ;D or something. However the lady told me they will call viva and see what they can do about it. Indeed a lesson learned for me here :(. Have patience, check first, and an advantage to know if its the movie comes in 25 gig, 50gig, 2 disc etc etc.  ;D ;D Those will probably be hard to remember with all the films out there :D ;D Problem kasi sometimes when you are there  you just want to purchase it so to avoid the hassle of going back and forth. I made this kinda a big issue  ;D bec. if I spend 1,500 I want it to be worth it. Value for money. I just love Passion of the Christ too much to let the second disc go by.

ok, so reposting:

Could there be two versions of this release?

One is this:

And the other one is this:

Maybe the one in green background is the 2-disc version where the VIVA-released BD was copied from?  ???

Just a thought...  :)

Hello,  indeed a relevant post. I also noticed the covers are different. Maybe its just a slipcase or something? Anyway, the one viva have is a 25 gig disc. I checked hidefdigest and Dvd beaver, it says 50 gig. When I went into the disc, all the features looks complete naman. Again if I spend 1,500 I want it on a 50 gig. Getting ripped off is just sooo painful ;D ;D..

There is a solution here. I will probably drop by Cardinal audio  just to take a look at these. They are usually complete, lots of selection  hehe..Huag lang pahalata I'm just checking these out ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2009 at 07:25 AM by Moks007 »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM »
There is a solution here. I will probably drop by Cardinal audio  just to take a look at these. They are usually complete, lots of selection  hehe..Huag lang pahalata I'm just checking these out ;D
You won't be if you bought something from them. :D

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM »

I will probably drop by Cardinal audio  just to take a look at these. They are usually complete, lots of selection  hehe..Huag lang pahalata I'm just checking these out ;D

Huwag pahalata... hala... for all we know Dindo of Cardinal Audio is checking out this thread. hehehehe  :P

True, they have quite a selection of BDs there and they usually acquire them one week ahead of the release date.  Thing is, is there a way to check if the BD is indeed 2-discs or single disc?  like, is there an open/unsealed item for the customer to check or preview?  Or is the info at the back of Region A U.S. import BDs accurate enough that when it says 2-discs it is guaranteed to have 2 discs?

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
Do any of these have a logo or sign that they come from VIVA?

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 01:58 PM »
You won't be if you bought something from them. :D

hehe..Viva already took my money ;D ;D..

Huwag pahalata... hala... for all we know Dindo of Cardinal Audio is checking out this thread. hehehehe  :P

True, they have quite a selection of BDs there and they usually acquire them one week ahead of the release date.  Thing is, is there a way to check if the BD is indeed 2-discs or single disc?  like, is there an open/unsealed item for the customer to check or preview?  Or is the info at the back of Region A U.S. import BDs accurate enough that when it says 2-discs it is guaranteed to have 2 discs?

haha..pa simple simple nalang ako when I walk in and act like just checking things out hehe ;D ;D..

Ya that will be hard to tell bec its sealed up. But I would think the info at the back of the US import would be accurate. Also maybe Dindo would know.

Do any of these have a logo or sign that they come from VIVA?

As far as I know, none ata..But the lady that helped me out is from Viva.

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM »

As far as I know, none ata..But the lady that helped me out is from Viva.

yikes...I just hope that there was just a mix up when sir moks007 bought his bluray..cuz it will definitely suck if VIVA continues this road.. :( :( :(

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM »
I just came back from hong kong. I also saw some of these fox titles there. They are priced at 199 to 239hkd. I was sooo tempted to get Jumper and Man on Fire for 199hkd ;D..Ok na to me for the price dapat, but had second thoughts bec I'm already broke  ;D..These titles also have no seal at the top, not US imports, but majority looks the same as their US counterpart (specs and features). Looks like these are the "affordable" or "SOME" may be the "watered down" version like Passion and Silence, depending on which movie I guess. You just have to be a smart shopper and depends on what are your requirements when buying. I was so furious bec. I found out there are two versions and I could have gotten the US version at amazon at a lower price pa.  The Passion of the Christ  HK version I saw have a slipcase. Kinda heavy, so I don't know if its a 2 disc version or its just the slipcase. Again kinda fuming mad bec I could have gotten this hk version instead of the one viva offers (same price lang). They are also selling the US import version there and it is quite heavy, so I would guess its indeed a 2 disc version.

Regarding what Coffeetiger mentioned on the Silence of the lambs. I also saw the one with the other cover. It indeed says 50 gig at the back. So what we have here is the 25 gig and the other is indeed a 50gig. For the money I would get the 50 gig even if all the specs and features are the same, or even if it will not make a big difference whether its 25 or 50gig. The word 50gig just sounds better to me. ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM by Moks007 »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 02:44 PM »
when i saw BDs being sold at 1.5k yesterday sa Astro kala ko naka sale. almost bought nga eh. but after reading this thread baka sa market place na lang uli ako bili  ;D

brader Raymond ako din almost bought sa HK BDs, also noticed no white sticker on top and besides broke din pala ako. bought na lang RE 5 for my son only to find out same price lang ito dito sa atin  ;D

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 03:56 PM »
Regarding what Coffeetiger mentioned on the Silence of the lambs. I also saw the one with the other cover. It indeed says 50 gig at the back. So what we have here is the 25 gig and the other is indeed a 50gig. For the money I would get the 50 gig even if all the specs and features are the same, or even if it will not make a big difference whether its 25 or 50gig. The word 50gig just sounds better to me. ;D

Ako naman, given that both versions have the same specs and features, it would boil down to the cover art.  Of course, if there is a slip cased version, I'd get that.  If not, then I'll settle for the one with a more appealing cover art.   ;D  In the case of silence of the lambs, I find the one with green border much more appealing.

I am still waiting for my copy of silence of the lambs (US) which I acquired via trade in another forum.  I just hope it's the one with green borders.  :-\  Once I get my copy, we can compare specs and features and see if there are some missing in the 25gb local version. 

when i saw BDs being sold at 1.5k yesterday sa Astro kala ko naka sale. almost bought nga eh. but after reading this thread baka sa market place na lang uli ako bili  ;D

Yes, all BDs being sold in our local stores have a price tag not lower than P1500.  I think this is too expensive considering that some of them are watered down versions.  It is definitely more practical to buy from the marketplace.

On a side note... I hope local distributors such as VIVA would consider putting out slipcased versions too.   ;D

Offline DOM

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 10:01 AM »
good day,

i tried to go to astrovision. and 
i am wandering why the bd title POTC in astrovision are selling without slip case? is there another version of BD POTC?
i also try to compare other titles of bd from astrovision and from amazon, one difference is the case quality of BDs.
hehe thanks

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM »
good day,

i tried to go to astrovision. and 
i am wandering why the bd title POTC in astrovision are selling without slip case? is there another version of BD POTC?
i also try to compare other titles of bd from astrovision and from amazon, one difference is the case quality of BDs.
hehe thanks

far as i know, there are no slipcased blu-rays available locally.  That is what I find off-putting nga eh.  I would rather buy from amazon or get it from the marketplace - brand new or 2nd hand.  Although, features and content would prolly be similar to the US version, at least the latter is presented in superior packaging at a slightly cheaper price.  :)

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 12:29 PM »
I noticed that VIVA blu-rays are different than that of US Blu-ray releases. For one, walang yung white sticker on top of the case. Iba din yung print and layout ng labels. Yung Magnavision releases, exactly the same with US releases. Have not checked warner releases. For me, hindi sulit bumili ng blu-ray pag VIVA release lalo na pag P1,500 up ang price.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2621
« Reply #27 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 12:48 PM »
hindi kaya locally produced ung mga bd sold dito kaya ganun ung quality?  ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 11:25 PM »
Meron ako nabili sir sa astro sale yung The Day the Earth Stood Still for only 750 pesos. So far okay na naman ang PQ at SQ. Yun nga lang ang panget ng cover hindi katulad ng binibili ko sa amazon. Bumili lang ako just to try kung okay and sale kasi hehehe ;D