Author Topic: Recently Discovered TV Shows You Might Not Have Heard About Yet  (Read 50661 times)

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rebooting.  The other thread (Most recently viewed TV Shows/Torrents) is fast becoming a TV viewing diary for some members. :)  My fault really for not being explicit enough.

When  i started that thread, it was to point members to interesting shows NOT AVAILABLE locally. Although the title is quite generic, I thought my posts were self explanatory, besides, there are threads for the more popular shows.

Everybody who's into downloading knows that the latest season of most of the popular shows are just starting and you can post to your heart's content to the various threads dedicatied to these shows.

So ground rules:

1. This is NOT your TV viewing diary.

ex.  If you pointed out that The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency as different from the other detective shows as the setting is in Botswana and the characters are supposed to be Africans, that's good.  You do NOT have to post each and every episode you watched.  Unless, of course, one episode has particular interesting point you may want to put accross.

2. This is not for TV shows with existing threads.

Most popular TV shows have their own threads already, go nuts.

3. This is NOT your TV viewing diary.

I just can't emphasize this enough.  As one member pm'd me, it is getting harder to wade through all the posts to find the diamonds in the rough.

voj

To start the ball rolling.

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - at first i thought this is like that Woman's Murder Club or something like Sex in the City goes Detective.  Surprise, surprise.  The setting is Botswana, Africa with all the poverty, customs, life unique to the area.

Kings -  As I mentioned in the other thread.  It's a modern day kingdom very loosely based on King David of the Bible.

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
Re: Recently Discovered TV Shows You Might Not Have Heard About Yet
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM »
Dead Set Zombies attack the British Big Brother set. Nuff said.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM »
Thanks voj!

Lost Season 5 ep 10--just kidding!

How The Earth Was Made

This series from The History Channel travels the globe to reveal the geological processes that have shaped our planet. Each episode will look at a single location and examine how the features that we see today have formed over millions of years—whether by colliding continents, volcanic eruption or the abrasive power of vast ice sheets. These processes, which intimately affect the way we live today, have been lost in the mists of time. Using the clues that were left behind, combined with expert evidence from geologists in the field, this series rolls back the millennia to see how the slow but immensely powerful forces of geology have shaped our world.

I tried out ep5 New York and it was very good. The latest episode is Great Lakes. Looking forward to Yellowstone next week. How the caldera was created should be interesting. I plan to get the previous episodes too. This is a new series. Just 7 episodes so far.

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009 at 01:51 PM by sardaukar »

Offline RDyENT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 12:51 PM »
Better Off Ted and Being Erica

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 09:22 PM »
Rebooting.  The other thread (Most recently viewed TV Shows/Torrents) is fast becoming a TV viewing diary for some members. :) 

LOL. Good one. :) And thanks for this new thread Voj! Lord knows we need it.

X already namedropped Dead Set. Other interesting Brit series would include:

1. Red Riding - a detective/mystery series set during the 70s. Kind of brings back the paranoia-filled undertone of that era.
2. Horne and Corden - Sketch show from two of Gavin and Stacey's breakout stars
3. Wallander - Kenneth Branagh as Scandinavian detective. Need I say more? :)
4. Apparitions - TV horror that's creepy as hell
5. Parents of The Band - Stage parents try to control a band formed by their kids. Starring Jimmy Nail in a role that is soooo perfect for him.

As for American series, only thing I'd recommend is Chopping Block. A new reality compe***on revolving around restaurants. The concept is actually kinda lifted from Restaurant Wars. But Chopping Block is worth watching because of Marco Pierre White, the original Brit bad-ass chef. The man is brilliant but really gives you the creeps. :)

Oh! and Rupaul's Drag Race, if you can stand watching drag queens in a compe***on that melds Project Runway, Top Model and Dancing with The Stars. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009 at 09:23 PM by indie boy »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 01:33 AM »
Comedies galore - - - The Mighty Boosh and Snuffbox and the immortal Absolute Power. All of which are not exactly recent but if you haven't seen it, then that makes it new, don't it?

And as much as it isn't exactly obscure, it's still an immense head-scratcher why no one has ever gotten hooked on Spooks aka M:I5 in this here parts. It's well into its 6th season and is hands down the finest espionage TV series out there . . . not the best TV show ever made, that would be The Wire (and yes, until a thread on this impeccable and  magnificent show hits the ground running, I will not stop preaching its gospel and converting the poor, lost unsaved out there who haven't been converted yet.)  ;D

And I am about to crack Law and Order UK soon . .. if only to see a cast member of Battlestar Galactica in a far less depressing milieu (and no, I haven't seen the finale yet so no spolierish comments please, thank you.)
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009 at 01:36 AM by X44 »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:05 AM »
Very well said sir voj.  ;D This is a good thread especially for those people who are tired of watching the same old stuff.  :)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM »
Very well said sir voj.  ;D This is a good thread especially for those people who are tired of watching the same old stuff.  :)

Yup. And tired of seeing post after post of which episode of what show someone watched ("Chuck Season 8 Episode 2" ::) ???)  . . .tends to get monotonous and pointless after some time and a waste of the two minutes of trouble you take to check out, in case it's something like what we have here so far.

Having said that, do check out Ultraviolet, an early series by Apparitions maestro Joe Ahearne.  It's sort of like X Files only it's British and it's with vampires instead of aliens. Cracking stuff.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM »
Is Wallander based on Henning Mankel's Kurt Wallander series of crime novels?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM »
Is Wallander based on Henning Mankel's Kurt Wallander series of crime novels?

I think so, wedge. Haven't seen it,though, so I wouldn't know if it gets  right that cold,frosty, often glum aura I so love about Mankel's work.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM »
Better Off Ted

A workplace comedy from the creator of Andy Richter Controls The Universe. If you like your comedy minus the laugh track with the vibe of The Office and 30 Rock, this show is for you.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM by dobler »

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM »
Better Off Ted and Being Erica

Please provide short description.  (edit: as I was writing this, Dobler gave description for Better Off Ted).  But going forward, it would be best if we provide short info on the series we are suggesting.

Re: The Wire

I downloaded this after X44's persistent :) plugging and this is really a very well written series.  Not your run of the mill wire tap crime scenarios, this one has realism that only politics, apathy, and plain u n-common sense can provide.

I'll try Spooks soon.

p.s. Guys, let's stop bashing the other thread, it has it's purpose for some of our members, let us not rob them of their enjoyment.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:22 PM »
LOL. Good one. :) And thanks for this new thread Voj! Lord knows we need it.

X already namedropped Dead Set. Other interesting Brit series would include:

1. Red Riding - a detective/mystery series set during the 70s. Kind of brings back the paranoia-filled undertone of that era.
2. Horne and Corden - Sketch show from two of Gavin and Stacey's breakout stars
3. Wallander - Kenneth Branagh as Scandinavian detective. Need I say more? :)
4. Apparitions - TV horror that's creepy as hell
5. Parents of The Band - Stage parents try to control a band formed by their kids. Starring Jimmy Nail in a role that is soooo perfect for him.

As for American series, only thing I'd recommend is Chopping Block. A new reality compe***on revolving around restaurants. The concept is actually kinda lifted from Restaurant Wars. But Chopping Block is worth watching because of Marco Pierre White, the original Brit bad-ass chef. The man is brilliant but really gives you the creeps. :)

Oh! and Rupaul's Drag Race, if you can stand watching drag queens in a compe***on that melds Project Runway, Top Model and Dancing with The Stars. ;D

Pre,

I'm reposting this from the other thread. Nag marathon ako last weekend. They'll be back for a second series next year.

Being Human (Series 1, 6 episodes)

British series about three flatmates living together in Bristol, England. Before you scream Three's Company, the trio is a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost. An entertaining mix of genres that explore the issues faced by unlikely friends as they try to lead normal lives.

Also recently finished, Eastbound and Down

Show features Danny McBride as a foul mouthed former pro baseball pitcher trying to make a comeback. Cursing has never been this quotable...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 02:56 PM »
Loved Being Human and it's good that it's coming back. Hopefully, it airs alongside the new Gavin and Stacey.

I've seen Eastbound and Down, it's funny but for some reason Danny McBride bothers me hehe.

Party Down looks like it has some promise especially with Lizzie Kaplan in the cast.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 02:57 PM »
Re: The Wire

I downloaded this after X44's persistent :) plugging and this is really a very well written series.  Not your run of the mill wire tap crime scenarios, this one has realism that only politics, apathy, and plain u n-common sense can provide.

I'll try Spooks soon.

Hehe. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Now I'm off to collect my commission.  ;D ;D

Spooks is great,too. It also goes under the title M:I5.

To comply with your request, voj - - -

Mighty Boosh is a surreal Brit comedy revolving around characters played by comedians Julian Baraatt and Noel Fielding aka The Boosh. Indescribable, almost. Thanks to an Alan Moore interview, I went looking for this.

Snuffbox is another Brit sketch comedy about . . well, hangmen.

And Absolute Power is of course the classic Brit comedy about a PR firm starring the always wonderful Stephen Fry - - -his recent guest spot on Bones was one of the few things about that show I liked (although Emily Deschanel ain't so bad,hehe). It was shown for a time on one of the cable channels, I don't remember which. It's flat out  brilliant (up there with the original The Office, though way different tonally) and has since become one of my all-time faves. I have downloads but I'm thinking of getting the Region 2 DVD Box.

I'm also tracking down Space Race, not sure if its a proper series or a TV movie  but its BBC and it comes highly recommended by Warren Ellis, who is some kind of go-to man when it comes to shows worth the trouble - - -he doesn't think much of Chuck and thinks the world of Aaron Sorkin. Man has taste. Haven't seen it though so can't weigh in. But it's  based on the space race. I'm so there.

And then of course there's Doctor Who, which I'm starting to crack season per season. Not exactly an obscure recommendation, but obscure don't always mean good. And this one is.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:00 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:09 PM »
although Emily Deschanel ain't so bad

Right on man! It's her eyes and them some. I've been watching that show since season 1. Off topic but during an appearance on Craig Ferguson's show, she told a a childhood story about Zooey. They were on an island and was told by their mom to stay out of the water since it was shark infested. Zooey then says, "Do all sharks make that noise?" (humming the Jaws theme). Just how cute is that?  ;D

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:59 PM »
Right on man! It's her eyes and them some. I've been watching that show since season 1. Off topic but during an appearance on Craig Ferguson's show, she told a a childhood story about Zooey. They were on an island and was told by their mom to stay out of the water since it was shark infested. Zooey then says, "Do all sharks make that noise?" (humming the Jaws theme). Just how cute is that?  ;D

Hehe. Cute story. I'm not a regular on Bones but whenever I do watch it, it's usally beacuse of our Ms.Deschanel,same way Jill Hennesey keeps me glued on Crossing Jordan. Both are not my regular type of shows but everytime I chance on them, I stay glued. ;D

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM »
Guys, Breaking Bad is on its second season.  Original webisodes are also available on PSN.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM »
Breaking Bad is great.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 10:14 AM »

Kings -  As I mentioned in the other thread.  It's a modern day kingdom very loosely based on King David of the Bible.

Watching this now. Really promising. :) Ian McShane is the man.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009 at 10:14 AM by indie boy »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 08:01 AM »
Reuven, Cruzack and I were already talking about this in Facebook --

The Unusuals
Southland
Harper's Island

and the piece de resistance, Caprica.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM »
... And I've had so much fun watching the first two episodes of Krod Mandoon. ;D It's hilarious fantasy satire. Lots of cool in-jokes regarding the whole fantasy genre.

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM »
Thrilla In Manila - a special featuring what many believes to be the greatest fight in history.  It is somewhat mislabeled probably due to the marketing appeal of that fight.  This is more of a post-mortem of the Ali-Frazier rivalry mostly dealing on the side least represented in media, Frazier. 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 12:37 PM »
... And I've had so much fun watching the first two episodes of Krod Mandoon. ;D It's hilarious fantasy satire. Lots of cool in-jokes regarding the whole fantasy genre.

Did you watch episodes 1x01 and 1x02 separately, or did you watch the special premiere episode that merged the two? In case you watched the two stand-alone episodes, they total about 8 minutes shorter than the special merged pilot, with several scenes deleted.

That's a lot of jokes you missed. ;)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
Yikes, I watched the separate episodes. I was wondering why there was a file with both episodes but I thought it was one of those bogus torrents. I'll check it out again. Thanks!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
Thrilla In Manila - a special featuring what many believes to be the greatest fight in history.  It is somewhat mislabeled probably due to the marketing appeal of that fight.  This is more of a post-mortem of the Ali-Frazier rivalry mostly dealing on the side least represented in media, Frazier. 

Heard great things about this docu. Still haven't found it yet though.

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 01:09 PM »
Yikes, I watched the separate episodes. I was wondering why there was a file with both episodes but I thought it was one of those bogus torrents. I'll check it out again. Thanks!

found it at iptorrents.com

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
Some of you might want to try these two Brit shows, which you may watch separately, but you SHOULD watch in tandem:

Moving Wallpaper & Echo Beach.

Echo Beach is your typical over-the-top soap. Think a British version of The OC. However, Moving Wallpaper is a very witty The Office-style companion show to the show. It's a mockumentary about the writing/filming/behind-the-scenes of Echo Beach. So events that happen on Wallpaper affect the storylines, casting, etc. of the other show, while also mocking how inane it is.

Hilarious!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2009 at 02:03 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 03:37 PM »

A three-part internet musical.

Prime mover: Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse)

stars:
- Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, How I Met Your Mother) - Dr Horrible (applicant, League of Evil)
- Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle) - Capt Hammer (hero)
- Felicia Day (Buffy

creating a buzz at youtube. Very funny.  There's a DVD but watch a few excerpts in youtube. :)

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 09:05 AM »

So You Think You Can Dance

like american idol but it instead of singing it is dancing (and it's quite obvious)
im not into dancning (pareho nga kaliwa paa ko eh) but when i tried to watch this especially season 4 i begin to appreciate dancing, grabe ibang klase pala dancing lalo na pag pro ang mga choreographer (lalo na si Mia Michaels).. i really recommend watching this show especially season 4...

season 5 will be on may 2009..