Author Topic: Handsomely-made Filipino movies  (Read 1716 times)

Offline R2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Handsomely-made Filipino movies
« on: Apr 02, 2009 at 05:00 AM »
Seen Ploning at last. One thing that can be said about the film is that it's handsome to look at (Charlie Peralta is credited as DP). Other films that comes to mind:

Gaano Kadalas Ang Minsan? - Viva Film's sophomore output is a masterclass in glossy melodrama for which they became well-known. The opulent locales, Romeo Vitug's cinematography, and the icing on the cake: fabulous wardrobe for Vilma Santos,Hilda Koronel,Dindo Fernando,and company, courtesy of Christian Espiritu, that almost upstaged Danny Zialcita's beguiling, though implausible, love triangle drama. Best bit/s: the three lead characters in all of those to-die-for clothes.

Noli Me Tangere - Gerardo De Leon pulled all the stops to his film adapt of Jose Rizal's highly regarded novel; his earlier (and no less brilliant) Sisa was just a rehearsal,in hindsight. DP is Emmanuel Rojas and, if I'm not mistaken, De Leon's fellow National Artist Botong Francisco is involved with production/costume design. Best bit/s: Sisa (Lina Carino) running through the street, across the screen, with Mt Arayat in the background.

Oro,Plata,Mata - a triumph in technical brilliance, Salvador Bernal (costume design), Don Escudero and Rodell Cruz (production design), and Rody Lacap (cinematography) were behind the visual delights of Peque Gallaga's masterpiece. Best bit/s: Trining (Cherie Gil) and Miguel (Joel Torre) in a slow-mo shot frolicking witn an herd of sheep.

Karnal - it's so well-designed, I can feel the dust and the sweat. This is one of the many collaborations between Marilou Diaz-Abaya and her husband-cinematographer Manolo; Fiel Zabat is production designer. Best bit/s: the patricide scene.

Hihintayin Kita Sa Langit - Carlitos Siguion-Reyna's second outing introduced him to a wider audience, and his eye for aesthetics were realised with the tandem of Romy Vitug (cinematography), Joey Luna (production design), and the gorgeous pair that is Dawn Zulueta and Richard Gomez. Best bit/s: those final scenes set against a Batanes sunset.

Private Show - Chito Rono's debut showed what this wunderkind can do, but strangely, all the colours that I can remember from this film are black and white. V bleak film, indeed. Credited as DP is Joe Tutanes, production design is by Dante Mendoza. Best bit: the final scene.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009 at 05:11 AM by R2 »

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
Re: Handsomely-made Filipino movies
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 04:14 PM »
Kailangan Kita is a sight to behold.  You get to forget its story flaws because of its spectacular scenery and look.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 11:28 AM »
I think almost all of Carlos Siguion-Reyna's films are handsomely made. Romy Vitug's cinematography was a stand-out in INAGAW MO ANG LAHAT SA AKIN, which I'm currently watching right now and beginning to like it. Saw it first time when it came out in the theatres. And Snooky Serna gave a cinematic tour-de-force performance with a haunted past.

Yam Laranas  glossy look in ANG LALAKI SA BUHAY NI SELYA was also unforgettable, same with Marissa Floreindo's photography in LIGAYA ANG ITAWAG MO SA AKIN.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 03:54 PM »
I loved Yam Laranas' "Ikaw lamang hanggang ngayon" starring regine and richard because of the cinematography. it made manila and the pasig river  look so romantic.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 07:15 AM »
Romy Vitug's cinematography was a stand-out

We're talking 'handsomely made' right? Not 'sensibly plotted' or 'realistically drawn' or anything like that?

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 08:55 AM »
Baler looked really good.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 11:04 AM »
We're talking 'handsomely made' right? Not 'sensibly plotted' or 'realistically drawn' or anything like that?

Yeah......what could be your pick, Noel?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 11:27 AM »
Check out O'Hara's Mga  Bilanggong Birhen. Romy Vitug at his finest, doing period, and with a decent budget.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 11:33 AM »
Was Mario really fired from the set of MGA BILANGGONG BIRHEN? I'll check that one out.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 01:43 PM »
Fired? He walked out. Well he was fired, presuming he'd humble himself and ask for his job back, but he just walked on out and never looked back.

Romy Suzara edited it, which is why it's wretchedly edited--not the smooth, trademark precision of an O'Hara film.

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2009 at 07:47 AM »
do they sell dvd of reyna films?

I think almost all of Carlos Siguion-Reyna's films are handsomely made. Romy Vitug's cinematography was a stand-out in INAGAW MO ANG LAHAT SA AKIN, which I'm currently watching right now and beginning to like it. Saw it first time when it came out in the theatres. And Snooky Serna gave a cinematic tour-de-force performance with a haunted past.

Yam Laranas  glossy look in ANG LALAKI SA BUHAY NI SELYA was also unforgettable, same with Marissa Floreindo's photography in LIGAYA ANG ITAWAG MO SA AKIN.