Author Topic: 2009 NBA Finals  (Read 26470 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2009 NBA Playoffs
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2009 at 07:16 PM »
Honestly I am an Orlando fan (due to the fact that Amway Arena is just 5.5 miles from where we live). Seeing their games regularly on TV, I can say that the Magic has a fair chance of beating the Cavs. I believe LeBron is LeBron. He'll score whenever he wants to. He can shoot, drive, rebound, steal, pass. One thing that will really put the Cavs on the ropes would be their supporting cast. A Courtney Lee or a JJ Redick can stop Maurice Williams just like what they did with House and Allen. Varejao/Lewis matchup is an offensive nightmare for the Cavaliers, defensively they're equal. Frontcourt-wise, the Cavs is the underdog. It'll be LeBron's show, no doubt about that.

I think the pressure is on the Cavs merely for having an MVP on their roster. And since both teams are hungry to get into the Finals, this series will be a nailbiter. I'm seeing a Game 7 in the offing. :)

If we go by history, all champion teams from way back boast of talented, impeccable Big Men.  Except for one team -- Jordan's Chicago Bulls ( you wouldn't rate Luc Longley and an aging Robert Parish as great right? ).  Spurs has Duncan/Robinson/Horry.  Lakers had Jabbar/Shaq.  Rockets had Olajuwon/Sampson.  Boston has KG and had a young Parish back then.  Sixers had Moses.  Detroit had Wallace & Wallace. So between Dwight Howard and say, Varejao or Ilgauskus, who you gonna pick?  That's the problem for Cleveland.  As you said, it's really a Lebron show.  Unless we all agree that he really is the new "23" or MJ that will compensate for the lack of big men, then I'd say that history will repeat itself again this year.

Offline geckoph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2009 at 07:48 PM »
If we go by history, all champion teams from way back boast of talented, impeccable Big Men.  Except for one team -- Jordan's Chicago Bulls ( you wouldn't rate Luc Longley and an aging Robert Parish as great right? ).  Spurs has Duncan/Robinson/Horry.  Lakers had Jabbar/Shaq.  Rockets had Olajuwon/Sampson.  Boston has KG and had a young Parish back then.  Sixers had Moses.  Detroit had Wallace & Wallace. So between Dwight Howard and say, Varejao or Ilgauskus, who you gonna pick?  That's the problem for Cleveland.  As you said, it's really a Lebron show.  Unless we all agree that he really is the new "23" or MJ that will compensate for the lack of big men, then I'd say that history will repeat itself again this year.

Sampson? He did not win any championships with the Rockets...

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2009 at 09:33 PM »
I agree, having a big man in the line-up is a prerequisite for a championship.
Jordan and the Bulls had Bill Cartwright as their big man during their first 3-peat. The Bulls traded Oakley just to have a big man. Then they got Dennis Rodman during their second 3-peat. Of course, The Worm can't be considered a big man but having led the NBA in rebounds per game for a record seven consecutive years, he should be considered as one.

The Cavs have Ilgauskus, Verajao, Joe Smith and Big Ben. Unlike the Sixers and the Celtics, Dwight will have his hands full. Lebron has ample "big man" support for his championship journey.
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM »
King James all-around game makes up for whatever big man shortcoming Cleveland might be considered as having. James rebounds like a power forward, passes like a guard and now, defends like a premier defender. I expect Cleveland to run the pick and roll more with Ilgauskas pulling Dwight outside and letting James go straight to the hole where Verajao and King James himself have a good chance of grabbing the offensive board if and when he misses.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2009 at 03:22 AM »
(AP) - A look at the NBA's conference finals (with regular-season records):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 CLEVELAND CAVALIERS (66-16) vs. No. 3 ORLANDO MAGIC (59-23).

Season series: Magic, 2-1. Orlando had a pair of double-digit wins at home, including a 116-87 rout on April 3 that was Cleveland's worst loss of the season and nearly its worst since drafting LeBron James in 2003. James had 43 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists in the Cavaliers' 97-93 home win on March 17, but was a combined 17-for-47 from the field in the two games in Orlando. Dwight Howard averaged 18.3 points and 14.7 rebounds, but was limited to eight shots in the Magic's loss.

Storyline: After opening with eight straight double-digit victories in one of the most dominant performances in NBA playoff history, the top-seeded Cavaliers are rested and four wins away from a second trip to the finals in three years. But the Magic have matched up well with them and are confident after outlasting defending champion Boston in seven games.

Key Matchup I: Mo Williams vs. Rafer Alston. Neither team would have been as good without trading for its point guard: the Cavaliers acquiring the all-star Williams in the summer and the Magic dealing for Alston after Jameer Nelson went down. Alston played well in two games in an Orlando uniform against Cleveland, scoring 23 points in one and finishing with a double-double in the other. Williams struggled against Orlando, shooting 38 per cent and collecting only eight assists in three games.

Key Matchup II: James vs. Hedo Turkoglu. Hard to imagine James struggling again against Orlando the way he's playing in the post-season, averaging 32.9 points on 53 per cent shooting. Turkoglu seems to have rediscovered his game after a shaky start to the post-season and was sensational in the clincher against Boston, finishing with 25 points and 12 assists.

X-Factor: Mickael Pietrus. The Magic wanted the swingman mostly for his defensive abilities, and they'll hope he can help slow down James. But he's provided some unexpected offence lately, scoring 17 points three times in the semifinals, including in Game 7.

Prediction: Cavaliers in 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 LOS ANGELES LAKERS (65-17) vs. No. 2 DENVER NUGGETS (54-28).

Season series: Lakers, 3-1. Two meetings were in November, one before the trade for Chauncey Billups that remade the Nuggets. Billups averaged 18 points and 7.7 assists in the other three games, but the Lakers did a good job on Carmelo Anthony (14.5 ppg, 32.8 per cent shooting) and limited the Nuggets to 13-of-61 shooting from 3-point range in the final three games. Kobe Bryant averaged 31 points, while Pau Gasol had a couple of huge performances in averaging 18.3 points and 12.3 rebounds.

Storyline: The Lakers dominated the Western Conference in the regular season, but after needing seven games to get past undermanned Houston in the second round, they haven't looked like the West's best in the playoffs. Denver has, overwhelming New Orleans and Dallas and looking capable of making its first NBA finals appearance.

Key matchup I: Derek Fisher vs. Billups. Billups is playing in his seventh straight conference finals and is the reason the Nuggets, who've made it this far for the first time since 1985, won't be nervous. Fisher was badly outplayed by Houston's Aaron Brooks and his shot has been off lately, but the Lakers will count on his experience against Billups.

Key matchup II: Gasol vs. Kenyon Martin and Nene. Gasol's 21-point, 18-rebound performance in the clincher against Houston looked like a couple of his games against Denver this season. He went for 16 and 16 in the first meeting, and 27 and 19 in the last. The Nuggets' frontcourt tandem will try to be physical with Gasol to prevent him from those types of big nights.

X-factor: Andrew Bynum. The centre has been wildly inconsistent since returning from his knee injury, and the Lakers are hoping for the Bynum they saw in Games 5 and 7 against Houston (14 points), not the scoreless one from Games 4 and 6. He averaged 11 points and 9.3 rebounds while shooting 62 per cent against Denver - and the Lakers won all three times he played.

Prediction: Lakers in 7.

I agree with the AP predictions above.  :)
We deserve better.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2009 at 07:47 AM »
Just stumbled upon these Nike commercials.  We all know who Nike wants to see in the Finals. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH4TMUjgoOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znkbMJJTyQ&feature=related
We deserve better.

Offline ruth2art

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM »
The Black Mamba lifts the Lakers over the feisty Nuggets.. ;D

Offline msgt16

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM »
Lakers win! Kobe composed sa FTs. Lupet. ;D Bantayan nila dapat si Melo sa game 2.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2009 at 02:45 PM »
Sorry loss for Denver.  They were leading almost 3/4 of the way.  Even led by as much as 13 at one point.  They were defending well and executing good plays until that blooper in the last 30 seconds -- a weak inbound pass stolen by Ariza and eventually, a 4 point lead for LA.  A costly error indeed.  I'm a Laker fan but I really think Denver was the better team in this game.  But their lack of experience in a "deeper" playoff series showed in the end.  In short, bumigay nung huli

Good game.  No blow outs here. And a good head to head between Anthony (39 pts) and Kobe (40 pts).  Pretty even match up if you ask me. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009 at 03:18 PM by mattia »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2009 at 03:58 PM »
Lakers win! Kobe composed sa FTs. Lupet. ;D Bantayan nila dapat si Melo sa game 2.

Nung ininterview si Coach Phil, he said ala na silang magagawa kay Melo.  The guy's a scoring machine.  He said however that the game plan was to limit Billups.  That's why if you notice, Coach Jackson put Kobe on Billups all game long.  Chauncy still managed 18 points and 8 assists but wasn't too much of a presence, missing some crucial shots. 

As Laker fans (i presume you are too) we must be happy with this win. Because Denver played better!  And still we won.  That poor inbound pass was really a killer.  Poor execution and lack of experience did the Nuggets in.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2009 at 05:37 PM »
Just realized that the last 4 playoff teams are all lead by Redeem Team starters: Kobe, Melo, Lebron and Dwight.

Says a lot about their durability to still be able to carry their teams this late into the season with virtually no rest last summer, particularly for Kobe who is much older than the other 3.

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM »
Game 1: eastern conf. finals:

Orlando steals one in Cleveland. 107-106

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM »

As predicted, Orlando will give Cleveland a tough time.  I was not surprised at all that Cleveland lost Game 1.  I will not be surprised too if Orlando beats Cleveland in this series.  I will say this again - you cannot win a championship without "A Few Good Big Men".  Unless you have a Jordan and a Pippen as your backcourt, you gotta have tremendous frontcourt baby!  So sorry for Cleveland and Lebron, it will be an uphill battle from hereon with Ilgauskus and Varejao manning the frontcourt(both were a non factor in the dying minutes).  Among the 4 remaining teams, the Cavs are the least likely to win because of this reason.  Good luck.  By the way, the two best players of the game were Lewis ( who hit the winning trey ) and who else, Dwight Howard!  Need i say more?

Lebron was cramping bad after the game.  That's what happens when you put all hardwork to the guy.   .  Can they bounce back after their first ever loss in the post season?  Remains to be seen.  But for a Laker fan like me, I'd rather play the Cavs than face the Magic dahil mas madaling kalaban ang Cavs. Go Cavs!!

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM »
Woohoo!!! I'm not a Magic fan, but, I'm happy the Cavaliers finally lost 1 home game at the Playoffs...YEAH!!! ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM »
The Turkoglu/Lewis pick-and-pop plays gave Cleveland the hardest time and it exposed the Cavs' need for a strong frontcourt to guard a Dwight Howard and/or help out to cover a shooter in Pietrus, Alston and Lee. I think what SVG did with the second half was also give the points to LeBron and have him win or lose the game.

And also, like I said, it's LeBron's show.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM by wedge »

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2009 at 05:48 PM »
sa orlando, hinayaan nila si lebron to score 49 points and made sure that the bench did not perform well. parang "import" strategy sa pba ang ginawa nila. if may import na scorer, local coaches would sometimes let the import score and score pero made sure that the 4 other players on the court will not be able to get big games.

Offline msgt16

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM »
Nuggets take Game 2. Sayang yung lead ng Lakers nung first half. Bawi na lang game 3.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2009 at 01:22 PM »
Nuggets take Game 2. Sayang yung lead ng Lakers nung first half. Bawi na lang game 3.

Good defensive stops for the Nuggets.  Particularly on Kobe and their scorers on the last two plays.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2009 at 09:31 PM »
I predict a Nuggets win on Game 3 (which, sadly, I will be able to watch because it falls on a Sunday). A blowout, maybe by 20 points or so.

And then LA will win Game 4 (which, sadly, I will not be able to watch live because it will be on a work day).

As to the last 3 games, may the best team win. Which means the Lakers :)

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2009 at 09:56 PM »
sana umabot ng game 7 ang lakers - nuggets :)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM »
sana umabot ng game 7 ang lakers - nuggets :)

abot yan and the refs will make sure the lakers win.

WHERE AMAZING HAPPENS

Offline Aberforth777

• Collector
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM »
Sayang clutch jumper ni Hedo. Lebron answered with a huge 3!
Cavs wins Game 2 95-96 to even series 1-1.
2-0 na sana sayang talaga, bawi na lang sa home court! Go Orlando!

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM »
Yeah, it's somewhat a lucky shot. But give Lebron the credit, he carry his team again. Cleveland would have been in deep sh*t if he didn't make that shot.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM by dyerds »

Offline ruth2art

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM »

LEBRON SAVES THE GAME.

Offline Aberforth777

• Collector
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM »
Manghihinayang sigurado ang Orlando sa game na to kung sakali matalo sila sa series na to against Cavs.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2009 at 01:17 PM »
I think Orlando can take the series if they have the mindset to do it. They can crawl back from big leads and win. I'm not sure about Cleveland if they can do the same. They still rely on James to do all the work for them. One thing to note is Cleveland's offense in the second half. When Orlando started to come back, Cleveland's answer was merely LeBron.

One "mistake" Van Gundy made during the last play was to put Turkoglu against James instead of Pietrus who can somewhat matchup with LeBron in quickness. He should've covered the three-lane instead of allowing them an alley-oop. But yeah, give the credit to LeBron. He really carried his team on his shoulders throughout the entire game.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2009 at 05:31 PM »
Tough loss for Orlando. But I think they can bounce back from this - they recovered nicely after Big Baby's shot in Game 4 in the Boston series. It's Cleveland that has to be concerned why they keep falling apart after posting big leads. Game 3's really going to be interesting.

As for the LA-Denver series, crucial too for LA to win this next one. Don't think they respond well whenever they trail in a series.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 at 10:34 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2009 at 06:20 PM »
if you noticed the trend, kahit malaki lamang nahahabol... so walang safe talaga...it happened to the lakers and it happened to the cavs too...
interesting series for both indeed...

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM »
Ariza steals this one for LA again! Still gotta hate that FT shooting. Good thing they made the ones that mattered.

We deserve better.

Offline msgt16

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM »
Lakers win! Black Mamba strikes again. ;D