Author Topic: 2009 NBA Finals  (Read 26491 times)

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
Re: 2009 NBA Playoffs
« Reply #300 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 12:18 AM »
More predictions from the "experts" (for what it's worth and while we wait for Friday's tip-off):

As expected, none of these guys is thinking that this is going to be a short series.  Mr. Abbott, I hope you're wrong.  :) 

As for Jameer Nelson returning to play in the Finals, it looks like a sure thing from all indications.  He will probably play no later than Game 3 in Orlando (para dramatic).  This ploy could either provide an emotional boost for Orlando, or it could backfire.  Kontrahin kaya ng LA with Adam Morrison or Sun Yue?  :)             
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2009 at 09:43 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2621
« Reply #301 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 08:50 AM »
who's better? howard or shaq in his prime?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #302 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 08:56 AM »
Lakers will poof Magic hehe
Not so magical, Lakers in 5. 8)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 11:08 AM »
who's better? howard or shaq in his prime?

prime Shaq vs current Howard...

Shaq pa rin.    During the 3peat Lakers, he averaged almost 30 ppg, 14 rpg 3apg and 2.5 bpg.  I think yung mga years na yun, dun talaga sya prime.  That was the time rin na Centers are real Centers, and PFs are real PFs.   Di tulad ngayon daming converted Centers (na dating PFs, Nene, Gasol etc), and Power Forwards (na dating mga SFs Lewis, Odom etc).

I dont know though sa Howard version 3-4 years from now.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 11:14 AM »
definitely Shaq at his prime.

I hope Orlando wins.

I just don't think the Lakers deserve it. They have been inconsistently lucky. 7 games vs. Houston... and they should have been swept by Denver if not for 2 bad inbound passes.

Orlando however, has been surprising.

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
definitely Shaq at his prime.

I hope Orlando wins.

I just don't think the Lakers deserve it. They have been inconsistently lucky. 7 games vs. Houston... and they should have been swept by Denver if not for 2 bad inbound passes.

Orlando however, has been surprising.

Kaya nga best of seven series ang playoffs kasi it takes 4 wins to win a series, regardless of how you win it. If the LAkers went the full route all the time but still win it all after all is said and done, that's all that matters. The team with ther four wins after every series deserve it coz all it takes is four victories. Coulda woulda shoulda na lahat ng arguments afterwards.

Re: Shaq vs Howard

I'd pick Shaq over Howard. Shaq had more go-to moves developed in his prime while Dwight's still develolping his offensive game. Give Dwight a couple of years and let's see.

Offline [Sp0oN]-HD

• Apprentice
  • death from above
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 12:40 PM »
Let me just say that the triangle, like any offensive play, is effective if done properly. It doesn't matter how long it's been (it's been around longer than 10 years AFAIK) around, but the fact that not all team use it is a testament to how difficult it is to run; but d@mn it looks good when done properly.

it's been around since the 1940's (the basic ideas were initially established by Hall of Fame coach Sam Barry at the University of Southern California).

Phil Jackson has been using the Triangle Offense (also known as the Triple-Post Offense) since the early 1990's

Offline darth_rye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
it's been around since the 1940's (the basic ideas were initially established by Hall of Fame coach Sam Barry at the University of Southern California).

Phil Jackson has been using the Triangle Offense (also known as the Triple-Post Offense) since the early 1990's

Dont leave Tex Winter for the triangle offense.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 01:59 PM »
An Interesting Article from Ken Berger of cbssports.com

====

Listen to a Western Conference GM who pointed out that one of the biggest factors in this series will have nothing to do with talent. It will have to do with how Jackson and his coaching staff tactically adjust their defensive scheme to defend the 3-point line better than Cleveland did in the conference finals.

"Cleveland is very rigid as far as defensive rotations," the GM said. "Phil is a lot more flexible. That flexibility will allow the Lakers to use their length and defend the 3-point line better than Cleveland did."

And it all goes back to the question of whether you double-team Howard in the post or play him one-on-one and stay with the shooters. Teams like Cleveland, San Antonio and Boston are loyal to a rotation scheme that dictates doubling the post scorer and rotating to the shooters. You can't be stubborn that way against Orlando if you're going to solve that conundrum. Jackson is stubborn about some things, but solving conundrums is his specialty. If his previous championship teams are any indication, it might take the Lakers three, four or five games to figure it out. But they will figure it out.

So sometimes it comes down to coaching philosophy and the coach's willingness to adapt and change -- from series to series, within a series and within a game. If Mike Brown had been more adaptable and less stubborn, the NBA might've had its Kobe vs. LeBron matchup, after all. Don't believe me? Read this quote from the Cavs' Wally Szczerbiak after the Cavs lost to Orlando: "They had a dominant big man, they were knocking down 3s all over the floor, and they had our heads spinning in rotations the whole entire time."

=====

If LA can defend well against the 3 point shooters of Orlando, and let Kobe do the rest, Orlando is in trouble.  It would be interesting also how SVG will adjust.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 09:05 PM »
Kaya nga best of seven series ang playoffs kasi it takes 4 wins to win a series, regardless of how you win it. If the LAkers went the full route all the time but still win it all after all is said and done, that's all that matters. The team with ther four wins after every series deserve it coz all it takes is four victories. Coulda woulda shoulda na lahat ng arguments afterwards.

I totally agree!!    Parang yung sinabi ni Kenyon Martin after losing the series with the Lakers, he said, "We felt we were the better team."

Hehe, as far as I know, the better team always wins in a 7 game series.  ;D ;D ;D

The NBA PLay-off system should always produce a deserving champion.  Four play-off series, 16 wins all.   Walang swerte-swerte dyan.........

Whoever wins it, Lakers or Magic, deserves to be called NBA Champion.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 01:35 PM by Munskie »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: 2009 NBA Finals
« Reply #310 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 10:22 AM »
The only thing I remember about Shaq is his free throw misses.  How could a professional basketball player (who practices long hours everyday) be that dumb on the free-throw line?

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 10:27 AM »
The only thing I remember about Shaq is his free throw misses.  How could a professional basketball player (who practices long hours everyday) be that dumb on the free-throw line?

kaya nga nauso dati ung hack a shaq ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #312 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
mismatch yata  ??? this is not an exciting game
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline e_none

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • --mangyan man kami--
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 11:33 AM »
mismatch yata  ??? this is not an exciting game

they must find a solution to guard kobe or else.... 4-0 lakers win ;D
H5360/onkyo607/pv80/ps3/7.1/WDTv...

Offline msgt16

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #314 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 11:46 AM »
Lakers win! ;D The Mamba strikes again! Lupet! Superman only 1 out 6 FGs. Magic Three Party only 8 of 23. Maganda defensive rotation ni Zenmaster. :)

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
who's the better free throw shooter between shaq and dwight? ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:40 PM »
Schooled in game 1.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:42 PM »

Re: Shaq vs Howard

I'd pick Shaq over Howard. Shaq had more go-to moves developed in his prime while Dwight's still develolping his offensive game. Give Dwight a couple of years and let's see.

No need to lecture me about a race to 4 in 7 bud. I fully comprehend that. thats why I started with "I just dont...." ergo my personal opinion. I'm not disputing the rules.

great game by the Mamba. looks like he's going for the kill early.... Orlando better fix their offensive rotation quick or have some lucky 3-ball all game or its sweepy sweepy...
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:47 PM by ctlim »

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 01:23 PM »
Sorry bro kung parang lecture yun, pero I just wanted to butt my opinion in, too, that after all is said and done, it's still a 4-wins-to-advance series and that luck is far from the determining factor in deciding who wins.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #319 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
Yan na nga ba sinasabi ko, eh. If Orlando suddenly loses their 3pt shooting, paano na sila? Just 35% today.

Completely share your sentiment. You're a professional basketball player. It's your job. There's no excuse, ma-pride lang talaga si Shaq (or tamad). He felt he was good enough of a player that he didn't need to work on his FTs. What he didn't realize is that he had just worked on his FTs (the way Malone did who was also below 50% at the start of his career and ended at almost 80%) and got it to about 70%--around where Duncan is--he wouldn't have to work so hard in his later years. They wouldn't have been pounding and hacking him the way they did.

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2163
« Reply #320 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 01:43 PM »

Try to shoot the ball from the freethrow line with a small arrow basketball (kids basketball). Ang hirap i-syut diba? Ganyan ang feel ng regular spalding ball sa huge hands ni Shaq kaya kirap syang mag syut. Nasubukan ko yan e... hehe...

Shaq is the better player than Dwight. I don't think Dwight will be better than Shaq even years from now.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 01:48 PM »
Regarding Shaq's FT woes.

Yup.   Shaq has huge hands.  From the wrist up to the tip of the middle finger, it is 12 inches.  Isang ruler yun.  Mahirap nga talaga mag shoot sa maliit na bola.

And he injured his hand when he was a child (from a fall), that prevents him from having a regular shooting motion with his fingers.   Its more of a palm shot, or push rather than the regular shooting with your fingers.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #322 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
I don't buy the excuse that he has big hands. It might prevent him from being a 90% FT shooter. But it's not going to stop him from hitting at least 70% if he at least tried. I've tried playing with a small ball. Of course it's harder, but that's nothing years of practice won't improve. Are you telling me that if you shot 50% using that small ball, and 10,000 shots plus another, what, 30,000 to 50,000 shots at practice later, you're still going to be stuck at 50%? No improvement at all? I'd say only if you weren't trying. 

Funny article about Shaq's 5,000 missed freethrows:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=ShaqFTs-081218

Shaq's teammate Nash has missed 253 free throws in his 883 NBA games. At that rate, it would take him 17,451 games to miss 5,000. If he played every regular-season game for 200 seasons, he'd still fall short.

Entering Dec. 19, the top 12 FT% shooters had missed a combined 4,995 free throws in 45,076 attempts.

If Larry Bird were to come out of retirement and miss his next 3,000 free-throw attempts (which would require him to shoot 0 percent for about seven seasons, based on his peak season of 492 free-throw attempts), he'd still have a higher career free-throw percentage than Shaq.

Shaq is currently 10th on the all-time scoring list; if he had missed only 4,000 free throws (corresponding to just 62 percent shooting), he'd be fifth.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 02:13 PM by sardaukar »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
What did I tell you?  If the Lakers defends the Magic's 3 pt shots and let Kobe do his thing, the Magic has no chance. 

Not only did the Lakers checked Van Gundy's rotation, they made Howard insignificant tonight. 1 out of 6 field goals? Shame on you Superman.  I don't think the Magic had an off night.  It was the brilliant defensive rotation of Coach Phil that made it really difficult for them to execute.  Simply put, they got a clinic c/o the Zen Master.

And of course Kobe.  40 pts. 8 assists. 8 rebounds.  Highlight reel after highlight reel.  Courtney Lee looked like Courtney Love in defense.  Such a long, arduous night for Kobe haters ;D  As I said, this man's on a mission.  Bad news for the Magic.

My prediction is Lakers in 6 games.  I still stand by it.  But the Magic should adjust well in the next games.  If not, it's gonna be a short series I tell you.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #324 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
I don't think that LA really defended well in the arc in the first game. Orlando had several open looks but they just can't sink it (Alston and  Pietrus for example). Jitters I think.   :-[ The big factor was the size advantage of LA in the frontcourt. Parang hirap din si Superman at Lewis kay Bynum at Gasol . They need to make play for Howard hindi lang puro powerplay sa loob. The pick and roll didn't quite became very effective eventhough in the first quarter it was.

If no one in the Orlando can stop Kobe or make him have hard time making his shots, I think the series is over by Game 4 or 5, but I can smell a sweep (wag naman sana). I'm still hoping that Orlando can give a big fight against Kobe and his company.

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #325 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 05:12 PM »
first game finals jitters also for magic players.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #326 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
I agree that Orlando had the jitters :) I don't think anyone there has ever been this deep into the playoffs, save for Stan Van Gundy and Patrick Ewing.  They will play a better game 2.

I am hoping, however, that the Lakers will still take Game 2, so that they hold court. Bahala na ang Magic sa Game 3-5, though I seriously doubt if they sweep.

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #327 on: Jun 06, 2009 at 10:21 AM »
Phil Jackson's teams are 43-0 in series after winning the opener.

So, if the Orlando Tragic cannot break that record, Phil will beat Red Auerbach's (and his own) record.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2009 at 11:31 AM by DaSilva »

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2163
« Reply #328 on: Jun 06, 2009 at 11:47 AM »
Sigurado na Lakers dito. Kitang kita na.
Lakers should grab this opportunity and make an early kill.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385