Author Topic: The 2009 Panasonic plasma and lcd!  (Read 30705 times)

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 2009 Panasonic plasma and lcd!
« on: Apr 24, 2009 at 12:39 AM »
i saw this model in the u.s and per my hubby's incessant request i took a very good look at the g10.

i may not be as acurrate as my hubs (carlo777) but here is my 1st take on a plasma i know a lot of us have been waiting for. the model i saw is a u.s version and sana naman they don't undercut the specs so it remains faithful to what it really is. lucky for me i still remember how our cool plasma models  look so i could vivdly remember how they compare.

picture quality for bluray and dvd:

maganda po siya and colors are more vivid than the pv80 and the py800, it has deeper blacks that reminded me of the basic pioneer kuro model i saw at sights and sounds months back. ewan ko why motion is a big deal for you guys but when i was forced to watch transformers just to check for blurs wala naman akong nakita. plasma has been known for a softer picture definition but the G10 seems to be more aggressive without being too overpowering like a glaring lcd. sa dvd with an oppo player (can't remember model) it drove sd closer to hd better than anything i've come across in comparison to older panny models. the only unit that beats it is the higher kuro's but since wala na po yun and mahal. pwedeng pwede na po ito.

for ps3:

may game mode siya! yehey! the game mode is not only a very good pre-set picture mode that attempts to give plasma that much needed digital look. it is also an enhancement that is suppose to lessen input response time. but i did'nt  really see the actual need for this, kasi the recent plasma models from pv70 to py800 never had input response time probs naman.

Image retention:

good news! halos wala! the pv80, py800 and pv70 had these issues na kahit temporary-it was still there. The G10 with it's orbiter ba yun? or whatever you call it fixes the retention issue to a point na you can really see that burn-in along with image retantion is truly a thing of the past.

Green phosphor lag:

this is what disappointed my hubby but good for me! meron pa din even with the neo-pdp panel, quick first person pans of games like resistance gave off the green ghosts. if this bothered you before then it will still bother you now. Buti lalang kasi kung wala my hubby would have asked me to haul this thing back to the philippines=)

Will we buy it despite having a py800?

the general idea is that we will ;D think of a more aggressive pv80/800 with deeper blacks, full hd, and with better image retention management. sorry for the very newbie review tis the best i can do with my limited knowledge.

-fin-

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2009 at 01:00 PM by comitatus »
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline espi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
Re: The 2009 Panasonic G10
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:03 AM »
thanks for this. my tito is eyeing for this model din..

would you know if this one has the intelligent frame creation feature as with the py800? have you noticed the same movements with this unit?
Ye Boy! :p

Offline bootsubay

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:21 AM »
Excellent a husband - wife review team :). You guys should do a He says - She says thing....

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:40 AM »
Hi Madame Comitatus,

I'm just wondering, whenever you and hubby Carlo777 watch somethin, do you watch separately on different TVs or do you watch on different TVs side by side?   ;D.   My wife and I could possibly do the 1st option but at least one has got to wear headphones sa liit ng bahay.   ;D

Kindly keep the reviews and impressions coming.  No fin please.   Thanks.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:23 AM »
I see... husband and wife team pala, parang Brad and Angelina :D ... comitatus conjugatus pala ...  :D

Thanks for the excellent review, madam comitatus!  That's not a newbie review at all.  It's obvious that you already know what to look for in a TV's image.

I've read many reviews from sir carlo.  They're very useful, and use a simple but clear format.  It's good that you followed the format.

Please maintain the review style.  I like it.  It's a pleasure to read your styles, since the too-techie stuff can get a bit annoying after a while.          
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:30 AM by barrister »

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM »
thank you much much!

please don't call me madame i'm only 24, unless you guys are teeners lang ;)

Hi Madame Comitatus,

I'm just wondering, whenever you and hubby Carlo777 watch somethin, do you watch separately on different TVs or do you watch on different TVs side by side?   ;D.   My wife and I could possibly do the 1st option but at least one has got to wear headphones sa liit ng bahay.   ;D
Kindly keep the reviews and impressions coming.  No fin please.   Thanks.

yeah we watch separately, not because our tastes are miles apart it's just that it takes carlo 1 week to watch a movie. sometimes nga i ask him are you watching the movie or are you watching the t.v again? :)

I see... husband and wife team pala, parang Brad and Angelina :D ... comitatus conjugatus pala ...  :D

Thanks for the excellent review, madam comitatus!  That's not a newbie review at all.  It's obvious that you already know what to look for in a TV's image.

I've read many reviews from sir carlo.  They're very useful, and use a simple but clear format.  It's good that you followed the format.

Please maintain the review style.  I like it.  It's a pleasure to read your styles, since the too-techie stuff can get a bit annoying after a while.          

thanks! there won't be any team effort muna kasi mukhang nagsawa bigla si carlo, are you guys really quick on dropping things? at the very least he is starting to treat our tv's like tv's and not some strange artifact uncovered from egypt :D

Excellent a husband - wife review team :). You guys should do a He says - She says thing....

wag hehehe baka magaway kami he has soooo much faith in LCD^^^

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009 at 02:36 PM by comitatus »

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
madam, how much is the g10 50" in the US?

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 03:41 PM »
madam, how much is the g10 50" in the US?

Not sure about the 50 inches but the 42 inches go for like 1200 to 1300 usd.

thanks for this. my tito is eyeing for this model din..

would you know if this one has the intelligent frame creation feature as with the py800? have you noticed the same movements with this unit?

Yes it still has that feature=)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:34 PM »
..  are you guys really quick on dropping things? at the very least he is starting to treat our tv's like tv's and not some strange artifact uncovered from egypt :D

Ok yun, sister.  Kung nagsawa sa tech aspect, that's normal.  He might focus on the movie itself rather than the monitor's performance; or, like many of our members here, move on to other hobbies.

Kung tuloy-tuloy ang obsession sa tech aspect ng monitors, medyo delikado nga yun ... he might be better off spending money on therapy rather than on another new TV ...  :D

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:39 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:25 PM »
please don't call me madame i'm only 24, unless you guys are teeners lang ;)

thanks! there won't be any team effort muna kasi mukhang nagsawa bigla si carlo, are you guys really quick on dropping things? at the very least he is starting to treat our tv's like tv's and not some strange artifact uncovered from egypt :D

Opo Ms. Comitatus.   :)

"Mukhang" nagsawa bigla si Carlo because he bought too many too fast.  I remember in the late 90s until 2004 when I reviewed almost every new release of video camcorders especially those only available in Tokyo.  Tagal ko nagsawa because despite the large number of models I played with sa stores, I only bought a cam every 3 years.  hehehe...always looking for the gem model ika nga.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:36 PM »
Ok yun, sister.  Kung nagsawa sa tech aspect, that's normal.  He might focus on the movie itself rather than the monitor's performance; or, like many of our members here, move on to other hobbies.

Kung tuloy-tuloy ang obsession sa tech aspect ng monitors, medyo delikado nga yun ... he might be better off spending money on therapy rather than on another new TV ...  :D

Oo nga! but this hobby went by pretty quick, mamaya or tom i may write down the 50S1 naman just to give an alternative. by the way, you're the super techie daw when it comes to t.v...did ya need therapy afterwards? j/k lang ha^^^

Opo Ms. Comitatus.   :)

"Mukhang" nagsawa bigla si Carlo because he bought too many too fast.  I remember in the late 90s until 2004 when I reviewed almost every new release of video camcorders especially those only available in Tokyo.  Tagal ko nagsawa because despite the large number of models I played with sa stores, I only bought a cam every 3 years.  hehehe...always looking for the gem model ika nga.

too many and too fast yes i agree, never thought anyone could be so obsessed with a t.v! you're from tokyo? i'm half japanese po sir but see see marunong po ako mag tagalog. did you find the gem already? i thought we were able to hit gem world with the py800 but it does not seem that way.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:37 PM by comitatus »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 06:43 PM »
too many and too fast yes i agree, never thought anyone could be so obsessed with a t.v! you're from tokyo? i'm half japanese po sir but see see marunong po ako mag tagalog. did you find the gem already? i thought we were able to hit gem world with the py800 but it does not seem that way.

Konnichiwa Comitatus Fujin.

Considering my budget and other priorities, I've been quite pleased with my purchases so far.  I am the type who appreciates every little technical improvement - collecting technical catalogues and product brochures was my hobby - hahaha - but I only buy when it's time to upgrade.  I can see the improvements on these Neo PDP models but my current PZ800, though not perfect,  should be fine for at least 4-5 generations - unless it conks out prematurely - and unless something with much higher resolution than 1080p is commercially developed soon.

Besides, if you've been reading this forum for quite some time now, you'd know that my current high def fascination is more like brilliant zirconia instead of diamonds - they shine like real gems on any Plasma, LCD or HD CRT.   :)

Hope you dont get tired posting your impressions.  Give us the beef.  Thanks.

Offline x_jason_x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:26 PM »
Is the G10 the new models of Panasonic that will be replacing the 2008 models?

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM »
Konnichiwa Comitatus Fujin.

Considering my budget and other priorities, I've been quite pleased with my purchases so far.  I am the type who appreciates every little technical improvement - collecting technical catalogues and product brochures was my hobby - hahaha - but I only buy when it's time to upgrade.  I can see the improvements on these Neo PDP models but my current PZ800, though not perfect,  should be fine for at least 4-5 generations - unless it conks out prematurely - and unless something with much higher resolution than 1080p is commercially developed soon.

Besides, if you've been reading this forum for quite some time now, you'd know that my current high def fascination is more like brilliant zirconia instead of diamonds - they shine like real gems on any Plasma, LCD or HD CRT.   :)

Hope you dont get tired posting your impressions.  Give us the beef.  Thanks.

Wokie!

Wait a sec...are you the guy who got my hopes up by offering us a sony hd crt? hehehe sayang! :D

Is the G10 the new models of Panasonic that will be replacing the 2008 models?

yes it's the new 2000 model that i think will replace the older pv8 pv80 and the py800+ lines. yun lang baka very expensive pa siya when they do come out.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:44 AM by comitatus »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
Re: The 2009 Panasonic plasma (G10 and more)
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 08:10 AM »
thanks.........sister ??? ::) ;D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 02:32 PM »
thanks.........sister ??? ::) ;D

maybe this will be priced here mga 70k (42 inches) for starters, sana mas mababa but wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009 at 02:32 PM by comitatus »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 03:16 PM »
Hello, this is a very good preview of the upcoming 2009 models from Panasonic. I'm shocked that you are also a competent reviewer like carlo.  ;)

You are more on the lighter side but also full of good information. New models are also coming around. We are equally excited to bring the asian version of this model and other 2009 Panasonic models soon!  :D

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 07:18 PM »
maybe this will be priced here mga 70k (42 inches) for starters, sana mas mababa but wishful thinking.

abang abang tayo sa mga reliable sellers dito sa pdvd such as ser vic ;)

Offline T33K0Y

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM »
Nice review ma'am.. :)

Tempting! Kaya lang medyo mataas malamang intro price nito dito sa atin.  Wait ko na lang price drop nito a year after... ;D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 11:20 PM »
typical specs of a neo-pdp

2,000,000 to 1 dynamic contrast ratio
40,000 to 1 native contrast ratio
600hz sub field drive

typical specs of the G11 panels pv8/pv80/py800

1,000,000 to 1 dynamic contrast ratio
15,000 to 1 native contrast ratio (30,000 to 1 for py800)
400hz sub field drive (480hz for py800)

;)

Nice review ma'am.. :)

Tempting! Kaya lang medyo mataas malamang intro price nito dito sa atin.  Wait ko na lang price drop nito a year after... ;D

ma'am naman ngayon :D

sana naman the price talaga is not that high but usually po ba how much do these units cost when they are released?

Hello, this is a very good preview of the upcoming 2009 models from Panasonic. I'm shocked that you are also a competent reviewer like carlo.  ;)

You are more on the lighter side but also full of good information. New models are also coming around. We are equally excited to bring the asian version of this model and other 2009 Panasonic models soon!  :D

thanks vic!

abang abang tayo sa mga reliable sellers dito sa pdvd such as ser vic ;)

sana our sellers could give us a release date :)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM by comitatus »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 09:19 AM »

Wait a sec...are you the guy who got my hopes up by offering us a sony hd crt? hehehe sayang! :D

Yes, and my wife apologizes for bringing down that hope.   :)  I thought Carlo could get an HD CRT from Vic?

Pricing:
The current prices of NEO PDPs are just about the same (actually a little bit less) as that of series 800 when they were first released, with the exception of the 1-inch model - that is not surprising of course.

Then the X series which is the upgrade to the PV80 - ganon din ang pricing. 

Hence, as in the usual case for electronics, it pays to wait a while because prices can only go down and not up.

Still bummed to find out that when Panasonic described their previous full HD 1080p Plasmas as having "greater than 900 lines of horizontal resolution",  they actually meant it was less than 1080.   >:(   Now these new NEO PDPs are being marketed as having some kind of "true" 1080 horizontal lines of resolution.  Oh well..    Ganda no.   ;D   - 

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 10:22 AM »

ma'am naman ngayon :D

pero mas surprising for me yung sister ??? ::) ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM »
Thanks to tita comitatus for generating interest in this model. 

I tried searching for other comments on standard DVD performance.  This review agrees with comitatus' observation regarding SD DVD:

"SD (standard definition) reproduction is one of the G10 series’ strengths. It beats the vast majority of TVs on the market. The picture is beautiful, crisp and very natural. I saw minimal noise in the picture."

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1237901339
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM by barrister »

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 02:57 PM »
Thanks to tita comitatus for generating interest in this model. 

I tried searching for other comments on standard DVD performance.  This review agrees with comitatus' observation regarding SD DVD:

"SD (standard definition) reproduction is one of the G10 series’ strengths. It beats the vast majority of TVs on the market. The picture is beautiful, crisp and very natural. I saw minimal noise in the picture."

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1237901339

thank you, wow "tita" parang im so matured already ;D

about the dvd performance, yup it was really nice, crisp and clean in a way that does not take away the flim look of the material.

pero mas surprising for me yung sister ??? ::) ;D

and ano po dapat? ;)

Yes, and my wife apologizes for bringing down that hope.   :)  I thought Carlo could get an HD CRT from Vic?

Pricing:
The current prices of NEO PDPs are just about the same (actually a little bit less) as that of series 800 when they were first released, with the exception of the 1-inch model - that is not surprising of course.

Then the X series which is the upgrade to the PV80 - ganon din ang pricing. 

Hence, as in the usual case for electronics, it pays to wait a while because prices can only go down and not up.

Still bummed to find out that when Panasonic described their previous full HD 1080p Plasmas as having "greater than 900 lines of horizontal resolution",  they actually meant it was less than 1080.   >:(   Now these new NEO PDPs are being marketed as having some kind of "true" 1080 horizontal lines of resolution.  Oh well..    Ganda no.   ;D   - 

apology not accepted ayoko ng nabibitin=) joke lang ha :)

nway, is panasonic trying to say na hindi true hd yung mga py800? :'( confused now ???

Offline HKS

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 03:20 PM »
Panasonic TX-P42G10 Review

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42g10-tx-p42g10b-20090415146.htm

:)

thanks for the link! so far medyo tama naman observation ko kahit papano :) any take kaya on the asian version? like i said sana they keep the specs.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 08:15 AM »
nway, is panasonic trying to say na hindi true hd yung mga py800? :'( confused now ???

No, I'm just being overly critical of motion resolution.  If a maker designates a certain flat panel as full HD one, they refer to the static resolution.  Hence your PY800 should have 1920x1080 pixel matrix which is indeed full HD (based on current standards) - but that resolution can hardly be maintained on moving images, especially very fast moving ones - resulting in blur.

Before this year, I think HDTVs have motion resolutions ranging from 600 to "over" 900.   The higher the motion resolution, the better the TV handles "motion" - which is what a movie or TV show or home video is all about.  Kaya our PY800 having "over 900 motion resolution" is in fact "top class", while entry level Pany's with "over 720 motion resolution" are seemingly "sufficient".   However, I don't think any standard has been established on how to measure motion resolution.  Just have to trust what the makers claim on paper but it is quite obvious that Panasonic Plasma's handle motion blurrying pretty well.

Now these NEO-PDP are being claimed by Panasonic to have finally reached 1080 motion resolution.   Isn't that great?    It's as if Panasonic's NEO PDP can capture each video frame at full HD and stitch all of them so smoothly, thus maintaining 1080 horizontal resolution all throughout the playback - kinda similar to what a super high speed camera does.  But would we actually notice that difference between the 800 series and the NEO PDP?  - that's why we are lucky to have someone like Carlo and you to possibly verify...hehehe

BTW, I'm not really sure if my understanding of motion resolution is accurate so any correction would be highly appreciated.   :)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 08:18 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 01:45 PM »
thank you, wow "tita" parang im so matured already ;D

and ano po dapat? ;)

pwede po bang dear nalang para universal (i.e. dear comitatus, dear carlo) ;D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 04:36 PM »
pwede po bang dear nalang para universal (i.e. dear comitatus, dear carlo) ;D

awww masyado naman sweet yan but sure dear is ok also! wag lang madame :D

No, I'm just being overly critical of motion resolution.  If a maker designates a certain flat panel as full HD one, they refer to the static resolution.  Hence your PY800 should have 1920x1080 pixel matrix which is indeed full HD (based on current standards) - but that resolution can hardly be maintained on moving images, especially very fast moving ones - resulting in blur.

Before this year, I think HDTVs have motion resolutions ranging from 600 to "over" 900.   The higher the motion resolution, the better the TV handles "motion" - which is what a movie or TV show or home video is all about.  Kaya our PY800 having "over 900 motion resolution" is in fact "top class", while entry level Pany's with "over 720 motion resolution" are seemingly "sufficient".   However, I don't think any standard has been established on how to measure motion resolution.  Just have to trust what the makers claim on paper but it is quite obvious that Panasonic Plasma's handle motion blurrying pretty well.

Now these NEO-PDP are being claimed by Panasonic to have finally reached 1080 motion resolution.   Isn't that great?    It's as if Panasonic's NEO PDP can capture each video frame at full HD and stitch all of them so smoothly, thus maintaining 1080 horizontal resolution all throughout the playback - kinda similar to what a super high speed camera does.  But would we actually notice that difference between the 800 series and the NEO PDP?  - that's why we are lucky to have someone like Carlo and you to possibly verify...hehehe

BTW, I'm not really sure if my understanding of motion resolution is accurate so any correction would be highly appreciated.   :)

hala panic mode kami dito, all the more reason daw sabi ni carlo to get the new pdp models.

@guys

dami ko pm's about this t.v, di po ako expert you may want to ask carlo777, e-reply, nemesis, barrister or Clondalkin ;) i'll still do my best to answer them kahit papano.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 04:48 PM by comitatus »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 05:23 PM »
Wag sa akin!

EDTV lang po ang plasma ko.  Most often used TV ko ay 14" CRT!  :'(

Nakiki-chismis lang ako sa thread na to e  :D