Author Topic: The 2009 Panasonic plasma and lcd!  (Read 30688 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Bakit kasi ayaw nila gumawa ng autovolt nalang  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Iyan ang nakakapagtaka sa mga US appliances.

In the 1970s, Japan-made appliances already had a voltage selector switch, with 110v, 120v, 220v, & 240v options.  For safety, you need to use a coin to be able to select the setting.  US-made appliances at the time were fixed at 110v only, no selectable voltage.

In the 1990s, Japan-made appliances were already auto-volt.  US-made appliances were still fixed at 110v; no auto-volt, not even a manually selectable switch.  Same situation until today.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Iyan ang nakakapagtaka sa mga US appliances.

Probably because the US has the best of what they want and they don't need to import anything from other countries, lalo na electronics. Bihira talaga ang mga 220v dun.

Sa Japan, hindi ba karamihan, 100v?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Probably because the US has the best of what they want and they don't need to import anything from other countries, lalo na electronics. Bihira talaga ang mga 220v dun.

Sa Japan, hindi ba karamihan, 100v?

yup japan domestic models are 100v ...yung export model lang at mga portable devices (laptops) ang 220v or auto-volt
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline chris69ners

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

In the 1990s, Japan-made appliances were already auto-volt.  US-made appliances were still fixed at 110v; no auto-volt, not even a manually selectable switch.  Same situation until today.

No not all. I already handle some high end sony lcd models like the kdl52xbr9 which have a power requirement of AC 120-240 volts.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665746306
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
OT question:
is the power consumption for 110v lower than that of the 220v counterpart?
im just wondering if this is the reason why US opted to stick with 110v, since afaik voltage x amp = power consumption (tama ba?)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
OT question:
im just wondering if this is the reason why US opted to stick with 110v, since afaik voltage x amp = power consumption (tama ba?)

No.  It only means the flow of current is higher kaya dapat mas mataba ang cables.  The utility company is charging you for the kWh consumed and not on either the voltage or the current flow only.   Mas safe and mas mura ang distribution ng 220-240V (kaya mas wise talaga ang Europeans sa power systems - hehehe).   In the US, some utility companies are upping their distribution voltage up to around 139V para makatipid.    Ang pag malalaki na ang loads, they use 220V or higher - they can tap 220V from the distribution line.

Why the Americans decided to adopt that standard?    Well they just have too much pride to copy the better European standards...para ring colored TV system.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009 at 08:52 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
OT question:

120 volts na pala sa U.S., not 110 volts: http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

This one looks like a good answer:

The system of three-phase alternating current electrical generation and distribution was invented by a nineteenth century creative genius named Nicola Tesla. He made many careful calculations and measurements and found out that 60 Hz (Hertz, cycles per second) was the best frequency for alternating current (AC) power generating. He preferred 240 volts, which put him at odds with Thomas Edison, whose direct current (DC) systems were 110 volts. Perhaps Edison had a useful point in the safety factor of the lower voltage, but DC couldn't provide the power to a distance that AC could.

When the German company AEG built the first European generating facility, its engineers decided to fix the frequency at 50 Hz, because the number 60 didn't fit the metric standard unit sequence (1,2,5). At that time, AEG had a virtual monopoly and their standard spread to the rest of the continent. In Britain, differing frequencies proliferated, and only after World War II was the 50-cycle standard established.

However that might have been a mistake! Not only is 50 Hz 20% less effective in generation, it is 10 - 15% less efficient in transmission and requires up to 30% larger windings and magnetic core materials in transformer construction. Electric motors are much less efficient at the lower frequency, and must also be made more robust to handle the electrical losses and the extra heat generated. Today, only a handful of countries (Antigua, Guyana, Peru, the Philippines, South Korea and the Leeward Islands) follow Tesla's advice and use the 60 Hz frequency together with a voltage of 220 - 240 V.

Originally Europe was 120 V too, just like Japan and the US today. It has been deemed necessary to increase voltage to get more power with less losses and voltage drop from the same copper wire diameter. At the time the US also wanted to change but because of the cost involved to replace all electric appliances, they decided not to. At the time (1950s-1960s) the average US household already had a fridge, a washing-machine, etc., but not in Europe.

The end result is that now it may seem, to some people, that the US has not evolved from the 1950s and 1960s, and still copes with problems as light bulbs that burn out rather quickly when they are close to the transformer (too high a voltage), or just the other way round: not enough voltage at the end of the line. (105 to 127 volt spread!).

wiki.answers.com

Panahon pa pala nina Edison at Tesla, may format war na  :P

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009 at 09:36 AM by barrister »

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
If such is the case, masmadali bang masira ang mga 120v appliances vs. 220v?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hindi naman sir, pareho lang yan.  60 Hz frequency din naman.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
well ang akin it doesnt make economic sense na mag maintain ng 2 or 3 types of power supply for one common product. like Tv for instance :) let sya they maintain 50,000 pcs for each kind ... e di mahal yung procurement nila nung inventory na yun per item ...

pero kung they maintain 150,000 pcs of same item .... i am certain mas mura siya sa cost :)

sorry sa off topc hihihi .....

how does 32C10 compare sa 32x10 na lcd? :)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Question:

My PY800, S10 and C10 have X.V color? Now, what does this actually do?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009 at 02:35 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
x.v. Color is "xvYCC" ("Extended-gamut YCC"), a Color Space for video. "x.v.Color" is Sony's name for "xvYCC".

It's a new standard published by the IEC in 2006, a color space that supports a gamut twice as large as that of the sRGB color space, allowing the creation of deeper colors/hues.  A mechanism for carrying the gamut boundary definition for xvYCC was defined in the HDMI 1.3 spec.

Now, what does this actually do?

As far as I know --- nothing.  :D

If your TV has x.v.Color, it means that the xvYCC color space is supported.  But that's the hardware, not the video content.  

Blu ray and HD-DVD specs do not support xvYCC/x.v.Color and/or Deep Color.  Since there's no home video format that uses it, then it serves no other purpose than extreme future-proofing, if you're one of those who believe that there's actually such a thing as "future-proof"  ;).
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009 at 03:04 PM by barrister »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
x.v. Color is "xvYCC" ("Extended-gamut YCC"), a Color Space for video. "x.v.Color" is Sony's name for "xvYCC".

It's a new standard published by the IEC in 2006, a color space that supports a gamut twice as large as that of the sRGB color space, allowing the creation of deeper colors/hues.  A mechanism for carrying the gamut boundary definition for xvYCC was defined in the HDMI 1.3 spec.

As far as I know --- nothing.  :D
If your TV has x.v.Color, it means that the xvYCC color space is supported.  But that's the hardware, not the video content.  

Blu ray and HD-DVD specs do not support xvxYCC/x.v.Color and/or Deep Color.  Since there's no home video format that uses it, then it serves no other purpose than extreme future-proofing, if you're one of those who believe that there's actually such a thing as "future-proof"  ;).

Useless P.O.S :D :D :D Just kidding=)

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Anybody have any reviews on the x10 lcd?  I'm also considering this TV.

Offline tebenets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
just got a new toy... panny 32x10

so  far so good... audio is just like watching a movie (according to my wife). color is right... nung nagplay ako ng dvd using composite connection, di ko nagustuhan yung picture quality (will comment pag nakakuha na ako ng s-video cable, walang component out). tried popcorn hour. i noticed that dumidilim siya habang nagaaccess ang pch. pero after a while, nawala na yung ganyang behavior.

sa susunod na lang yung other review pag nakahiram ako ng BD player, laptop, and console game.

only comment? still have to figure out the menu. nasanay kasi ako sa sony eh...  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009 at 10:55 PM by tebenets »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
just got a new toy... panny 32x10

so  far so good... audio is just like watching a movie (according to my wife). color is right... nung nagplay ako ng dvd using composite connection, di ko nagustuhan yung picture quality (will comment pag nakakuha na ako ng s-video cable, walang component out). tried popcorn hour. i noticed that dumidilim siya habang nagaaccess ang pch. pero after a while, nawala na yung ganyang behavior.

sa susunod na lang yung other review pag nakahiram ako ng BD player, laptop, and console game.

only comment? still have to figure out the menu. nasanay kasi ako sa sony eh...  ;D

Thanks... any comments on standard TV broadcast?

Offline kalash

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Thanks... any comments on standard TV broadcast?

Actually, we are using this TV for standard TV broadcast and we are quite satisfied with this TV in this area. Definitely, expect noise especially during dark scenes (maybe due to our cable signal) but at a certain viewing distance it won't be that noticeable. Color and contrast is quite good at dynamic mode since I find the other modes too dim for my taste for cable. The only thing I do not like with this TV is its black level when watching lights off. Its bluish tinge is just too evident at dark scenes.

Offline tebenets

• Collector
  • Liked:
Actually, we are using this TV for standard TV broadcast and we are quite satisfied with this TV in this area. Definitely, expect noise especially during dark scenes (maybe due to our cable signal) but at a certain viewing distance it won't be that noticeable. Color and contrast is quite good at dynamic mode since I find the other modes too dim for my taste for cable. The only thing I do not like with this TV is its black level when watching lights off. Its bluish tinge is just too evident at dark scenes.

kung noise lang, sinet ko sa maximum yung noise reduction.

tried playing pch kanina, same behavior din (dumidilim siya while accessing a file). bakit kaya?

Offline BongC36

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I've been reading a lot of positive reviews for the 2009 Panasonic plasma TVs so I went to S&S this afternoon to see for myself. I've always used Sony TVs since the early Trinitron days and it will take a powerful tug to wean me away from my current SXRD rear-projector. Boss Vic of S&S kindly set up a 50" S10 for my evaluation and I was able to compare it with several units on display. I also met Carlo777  there, whose very informative reviews posted in this forum was one of the reasons why I even considered a Plasma.

To my eyes, The S10's image was softer, like watching a hi-def CRT. This contrasts with the punchy image from an LCD or even a top-shelf RPTV. I was hoping that the juddering of the image when the camera is panned had been eliminated but it seems it is still there, although attenuated somewhat. Maybe I'll wait for the G11 like Carlo777 ::)

Samsung PS 51E550
LG 50PK550R
Sony 50" SXRD
Sony BDP-S360
Onkyo TX-SR308

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
I've been reading a lot of positive reviews for the 2009 Panasonic plasma TVs so I went to S&S this afternoon to see for myself. I've always used Sony TVs since the early Trinitron days and it will take a powerful tug to wean me away from my current SXRD rear-projector. Boss Vic of S&S kindly set up a 50" S10 for my evaluation and I was able to compare it with several units on display. I also met Carlo777  there, whose very informative reviews posted in this forum was one of the reasons why I even considered a Plasma.

To my eyes, The S10's image was softer, like watching a hi-def CRT. This contrasts with the punchy image from an LCD or even a top-shelf RPTV. I was hoping that the juddering of the image when the camera is panned had been eliminated but it seems it is still there, although attenuated somewhat. Maybe I'll wait for the G11 like Carlo777 ::)

It was a pleasure meeting you ;)

I forgot to inform you that to eliminate judder, we need to activate the 1080p/24 option from our blu-ray and dvd player. However, the only dvd player I know off that has this function is the Toshiba XDE500.

Happy hunting and hope to see you again soon.

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:

Welcome to Sights and Sounds! Wow, you are also a good observer. With critical eyes, you too will become a great reviewer like Carlo777.  :D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
@BongC36

carlo told me you met him daw yesterday=) did you buy the S10 or will you wait for the g11 like what he is doing ;)
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline BongC36

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: The 2009 Panasonic plasma and lcd!
« Reply #202 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM »
I actually had the cash for the S10 with with me when I went to S&S yesterday but now I think I will wait for Carlo's evaluation of the new model.  ;)

Samsung PS 51E550
LG 50PK550R
Sony 50" SXRD
Sony BDP-S360
Onkyo TX-SR308

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 01:28 AM »
I actually had the cash for the S10 with with me when I went to S&S yesterday but now I think I will wait for Carlo's evaluation of the new model.  ;)

wokie that will be around friday late, if the g11 comes in on wed or thur per s&s target ;)

also, carlo told me you were concerned with "judder" is there a particular movie daw you want us to use?

see yah!
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2009 at 01:47 AM by comitatus »

Offline BongC36

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 10:13 AM »
Ah so I have another week to wait then, hehe. It's really good for the rest of us that there are early adopters like you and Carlo777 who are willing to try out the new stuff then honestly share their experiences.

What I mean by judders, for lack of a more technical terms, is the rapid freezing of a frame, in little incremental steps, when a camera shooting a wide scene is quickly panned across. Old CRT's, and films, of course don't have it, but all LCDs that I've seen so far suffer from it.

Samsung PS 51E550
LG 50PK550R
Sony 50" SXRD
Sony BDP-S360
Onkyo TX-SR308

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM »
Ah so I have another week to wait then, hehe. It's really good for the rest of us that there are early adopters like you and Carlo777 who are willing to try out the new stuff then honestly share their experiences.

What I mean by judders, for lack of a more technical terms, is the rapid freezing of a frame, in little incremental steps, when a camera shooting a wide scene is quickly panned across. Old CRT's, and films, of course don't have it, but all LCDs that I've seen so far suffer from it.

yup around a week , on thur i'll be at s&s to look at the g11 again ;)

hope to see you guys soon=)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 03:25 PM »
Professional review from Singapore: Panasonic 50-inch TH-P50V11S plasma:

Panasonic VIERA 50-inch V-series Plasma TV
By Andy Sim
Published by Vijay Anand on Monday, 7th September, 2009
Rating : 4.5 out of 5 stars    

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2991&cid=11&pg=1
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009 at 03:25 PM by barrister »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Sep 26, 2009 at 08:48 PM »
Professional review from Singapore: Panasonic 50-inch TH-P50V11S plasma:

Panasonic VIERA 50-inch V-series Plasma TV
By Andy Sim
Published by Vijay Anand on Monday, 7th September, 2009
Rating : 4.5 out of 5 stars    

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2991&cid=11&pg=1

We'll be setting up office in Singapore next week, and I'll see if I can spare time to check out the V11 ;D