Author Topic: Skycable's stupid commercials  (Read 3733 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Skycable's stupid commercials
« on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM »
It's really irritating the way Skycable takes advantage of its customers by constantly bombarding us with stupid commercials...now we have to endure watching CNN with rudely-inserted commercials for Ponds and Sunsilk that are primarily targeted for vain, dumbass girls. We'll probably see some sanitary napkin ads any day now...

Apparently not content with that, Skycable also assaults us daily with nonstop cheapo ads for their Prepaid Cable service. The logic for this truly escapes me--shouldn't they advertise on free TV instead, to the people who DON'T actually have their service yet? They already have a channel that showcases their products and services, isn't that enough?

Wasn't that one of the main reasons to get cable TV, to watch paid programming without the flood of commercials available on free TV? Apparently Skycable forgot; since they seem to be so focused nowadays on leeching more money from their advertisers and helpless subscribers, they might as well change their brand name to $kycable.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Skycable's stupid commercials
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM »
Skycable is finding other ways to earn. Number of subscribers are dropping due to cable theft, transfer to other cable providers etc. No choice na rin but to bear with it for now. Siguro pag gumanda ang industry nila eh mabawasan na ang advertisements nila.

Im sure advertisers will learn in the long run (ponds and sunsilk) na hindi nila target market ang mga viewers ng CNN :) hence, di na sila mag aadvertise for skycable if it will be placed sa CNN :)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
Wasn't that one of the main reasons to get cable TV, to watch paid programming without the flood of commercials available on free TV? Apparently Skycable forgot; since they seem to be so focused nowadays on leeching more money from their advertisers and helpless subscribers, they might as well change their brand name to $kycable.

Aside from that, isn't it illegal to put ads on top of cable channels like CNN? If it weren't, why would companies spend millions of dollars to place an ad on CNN if local cable operators can just put their own ads over them.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM by sardaukar »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:07 PM »
Skycable is finding other ways to earn.

I'm pretty sure they can find other ways to earn without annoying the hell out of their viewers; you see them  insert ads everywhere, from CNN to Nickelodeon, to the Asian Food Channel and Channel News Asia. And they even have a commercial that blatantly asks sponsors to advertise on these channels--now that's something else, a commercial asking for commercials!  ::)

Aside from that, isn't it illegal to put ads on top of cable channels like CNN? If it weren't, why would companies spend millions of dollars to place an ad on CNN if local cable operators can just put their own ads over them.

yeah, i think so too. as a cable provider, they just um, provide the channels, they don't control the content of those channels
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline gerardhamada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM »
Whats more irritating is the commercials that skycable made themselves like the love letter theme which is so cliche. I dont think sky cable change anyones life really. Its the shows that changed their life and sky cable as I know has the least interesting line up of channels to influence your life.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM »
Some of their commercials are well made - - - like the one where the big Tv breaks into a thousand little TVs.

That Digibox thing they run on a loop is however one of the most annoying,overacted things I've ever seen.

As for commercials on cable . . . there's always the remote button. No harm no foul really. And when I really want to watch movies without interruptions, I just put on a DVD, that way I interrupt the watching on my own accord.  But yeah, commercials on CNN can be a trifle annoying.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM »
But yeah, commercials on CNN can be a trifle annoying.

It's extremely annoying when you see skin whiteners and shampoo commercials and whatever Unilever is advertising side by side with commercials for investment banking and international airlines--and they're badly-inserted to boot; one minute you'll hear a CNN announcer, then poof, in goes Marian Rivera and her large nostrils twirling her long shiny hair--WTF???

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM »

Even if it is illegal, (which i think it is), they will still pull it off because no one will really stand up and complain or even pressure Sky to stop doing that.. ;D ;D ;D

even though it pisses me off too, im just gonna do what X44 suggested for now... the power of the remote control... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
Even if it is illegal, (which i think it is), they will still pull it off because no one will really stand up and complain or even pressure Sky to stop doing that.. ;D ;D ;D

even though it pisses me off too, im just gonna do what X44 suggested for now... the power of the remote control... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Para palang Office of the Ombudsman.  Pag may nakitang corruption, look the other way.   :D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 01:46 PM »

Fortunately for me I finally got a choice of cable provider for my building middle of last year. And my choice was to drop them instantly. Mas mura pa yung bagong provider. ;D

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 01:52 PM »
I don't think it's illegal. Nor earth-shattering and heinous and evil. Just  . . .annoying.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009 at 01:57 PM by X44 »

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 06:06 PM »
Last time I saw a copy of the carriage contract between a cable company and CNN (ten years ago), the agreement allows the cable company to place its own ads. When I watch CNN and CNN headline news in the US, ads are also carried. So if there is no major change in the standard carriage contracts of program providers such as CNN, ESPN, Discovery, etc., insertion of ads is allowed. The only restriction is the length of the insertions and when they can insert it.

I agree that sometimes, hindi maganda yung pagkakainsert. Siguro Sky still doesnt have the equipment that senses cue tones from the satellite that can automatically switch the feed from satellite to the local ad insertion player.

AFAIK, there are still programs that do not allow insertions such as HBO and Cinemax. These are considered "premium" programming.

Other programmers like Velvet, Lifestyle, Solar, etc. have their respective commercials already part of their satelllite feed hence the cable operator/service provider have no option but to air these (especially if it is stipulated in the carriage contract).

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 06:54 PM »
Thanks for the clarification viper!

I'm curious though, I'm sure advertisers like Eva Air pay a premium for their ads to be seen in as many countries as possible. If cable operators in their respective countries can air their own ads over them, wouldn't that kill the incentive to advertise with CNN? O X-deal lang ba mga yon? ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 09:50 PM »
You know, SkyCable's placement of commercials has actually improved. I remember years ago, when they first started inserting commercials on Hallmark, they would actually insert the local commercials IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUNNING PROGRAM, not at the commercial break.

Boy, their customer service got an earful from me when I saw that.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:28 AM »
I don't mind commercials on CNN or any other channel Skycable carries, as long as it's in the proper context of that particular channel. I don't mind ads for banks, gadgets, airlines, consumer electronics on news stations, but shampoos? skin whiteners? JohnLloydwhatshisname film festivals? There's actually a music video for Whisper, for crying out loud--which makes me wonder if teenage guys nowadays think of sanitary napkins when they're with a girl, LOL

I remember years ago, when they first started inserting commercials on Hallmark, they would actually insert the local commercials IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUNNING PROGRAM, not at the commercial break.

I remember that; their ad placement might've improved, but they still suck.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM »
Thanks for the clarification viper!

I'm curious though, I'm sure advertisers like Eva Air pay a premium for their ads to be seen in as many countries as possible. If cable operators in their respective countries can air their own ads over them, wouldn't that kill the incentive to advertise with CNN? O X-deal lang ba mga yon? ;D

It is clearly stated in the carriage agreement which parts of the satellite feed are "bumpable", i.e. can be played over by the local commercial. Yung paying ads carried on the satellite, most probably is not bumpable. Yung non-revenue ads lang yung bumpable. Whether it is x-deal or not is another story.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM »
You know, SkyCable's placement of commercials has actually improved. I remember years ago, when they first started inserting commercials on Hallmark, they would actually insert the local commercials IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUNNING PROGRAM, not at the commercial break.

Boy, their customer service got an earful from me when I saw that.  ;D

A mali talaga yun. Siguradong nalimutan ng operator na meron palang ads for insertion (nakatulog? nagyosi? nagLBM?) at hinabol (hoping na walang makakahalata) yung airing para hindi mabigyan ng reprimand.

Just the same for reprimand dapat yiung operator.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM »
It is clearly stated in the carriage agreement which parts of the satellite feed are "bumpable", i.e. can be played over by the local commercial. Yung paying ads carried on the satellite, most probably is not bumpable. Yung non-revenue ads lang yung bumpable. Whether it is x-deal or not is another story.

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 08:14 PM »
Why the frak is Dove Soap being heavily advertised on the Asian Food Channel? It's a food channel, not some kind of crappy lifestyle cable channel...so unless there's some kind of ingredient in Dove Soap that makes it edible and allows it to be used in recipes, I don't know why Skycable is inserting this product into most of the AFC shows.

And speaking of inserting commercials, this other spot that's an extended informercial of Angel Jacob for Nestle's flavored creams actually managed to cut out an entire recipe portion of Laura Calder's French Food at Home. Who's the idiot who keeps programming these commercials into all the wrong places at AFC?  ::)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 09:46 PM »

And speaking of inserting commercials, this other spot that's an extended informercial of Angel Jacob for Nestle's flavored creams actually managed to cut out an entire recipe portion of Laura Calder's French Food at Home. Who's the idiot who keeps programming these commercials into all the wrong places at AFC?  ::)

Whoever's doing the media programming for Nestle ,that's who. Could be someone from their ad agency or an independent media group.

Skycable has very little to do with this. They just sell the media spots. It's the media buyers who . . .um, buy them.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 10:29 PM »
Skycable has very little to do with this. They just sell the media spots. It's the media buyers who . . .um, buy them.

Skycable is still the one who inserts the ads in the programs--I really doubt it if Nestle can do that by themselves.

Granted that Skycable is allowed to sell commercial spots to third party advertisers, they should still be responsible enough to allow appropriate ads for the right channels. Current AFC local commercials are Aji-No-Moto, KFC, that rice topping or ginisa mix (forgot the brand), even the SM Supermarkets where they show food being harvested--they're all suitable for AFC; Dove Soap has nothing to do with food.

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 04:14 PM »
I was watching National Geographic and after one program, biglang nag air yung advertisement ng Dove. What irritated me was that paulit ulit yung advertisement ng Dove, a third party company, until nag start na yung next program. I immediately called up Sky Cable and asked them what's with the Dove advertisement, and the CSR said that Sky Cable had nothing to do with the advertisement and that they had no control over it and blamed National Geographic for it. Huh? After a few weeks, seeing the advertisements again, called up Sky Cable and the CSR told me exactly the same thing. I told him that he shouldn't fool me and had him explain how in the world would National Geographic air an advertisement of a Unilever product and also explain the advertisement of Sky Cable inviting prospects to advertise with them.  >:(  >:(

I am really irritated and disappointed with Sky Cable.
1. What the hell does Dove got to do with National Geographic? If I were the advertiser, I would kick their butts till kingdom come because I am paying them a huge sum and my advertisement is not getting to my target audience.
2. If the advertisers are paying them, should they also pay for the whole programming so that there's no need for me to pay for their services because it is already covered by advertisers. If they are going to do what free TV does, them just make cable TV free TV.
3. If, as a subscriber, I need to pay them for their services and also for the programming, what's the need for advertisers? Should the cost cover for their expenses?
4. If they are loosing money because of illegal connections, then why should it be at my own expense? I don't pay them so to watch advertisements. In other words, I pay them so there's no need for advertisements.

For me, pwede ko pa palusutin ang ads ng Sky Cable to inform me kung ano bago sa kanila. BUT A THIRD PARTY ADVERTISER IS ANOTHER STORY.

Where can we file a complaint?  

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2009 at 04:16 PM by GC »
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM »
This thread really amuses me, since I get to see varied points of view on this topic. Personally, I see nothing wrong with SkyCable increasing their revenues by inserting commercials in the gaps in their programs. As long as the ads don't interrupt the show itself, I say go for it. It's hard to find genre-specific advertisers locally. Whoever wants to give them money to air ads... they're smart to go for it, especially in this economic climate.

Unless, of course, Premiere Condom ads suddenly begin appearing on Nickelodeon.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2009 at 07:04 PM »
Unless, of course, Premiere Condom ads suddenly begin appearing on Nickelodeon.  ;D

actually...FHM has been advertising on Animax for quite some time now.

again, i don't mind ads as long as they're appropriate for the target market of the channel itself, and don't rudely interrupt the flow of programming content. but everyone blames the economy now for stupidity, so i just use the remote button as a last resort.

and come on, where's the logic in their shrilly Skycable prepaid commercials being heavily advertised on their channels, when the only ones who can view them already have cable? those ads should only run on free TV.

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2009 at 01:00 AM »
FHM ads on Animax are perfect. Both the magazine and the channel's programming are aimed at the horny young male demographic.

Nah, I'm not blaming the economy for stupidity, since I didn't consider anything stupid. I personally think it's extremely intelligent to accept legal money from whoever throws it at you. And who's to say exactly what advertisements are appropriate for a program's target audience? Case in point: the 2008 Superbowl had a commercials for Claritin and Sunsilk. What do those products have to do with football?

But I will concede that airing ads for SkyCable subscriptions on SkyCable premium channels is probably one of the most stupid things I've seen.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009 at 01:12 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM »
This thread really amuses me, since I get to see varied points of view on this topic. Personally, I see nothing wrong with SkyCable increasing their revenues by inserting commercials in the gaps in their programs. As long as the ads don't interrupt the show itself, I say go for it. It's hard to find genre-specific advertisers locally. Whoever wants to give them money to air ads... they're smart to go for it, especially in this economic climate.

i remember in Cinemaone they cut the movie and insert a commercial,parang Million Dollar movies lang ang dating. IN between movies oks lang pero pero para putulin just to make way for ads nakakabwisit, lalo na pag John lloyd or Juday ang palabas, one of the reasons why people subscribe to cable tv  para uninterrupted ang movie wathcing.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b