Author Topic: Isn't upconverted DVD just as good as Blu-ray?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Isn't upconverted DVD just as good as Blu-ray?
« on: Jun 24, 2008 at 08:58 AM »
There's high-def and there's true high-def

An upconverting DVD player (and, by extension, the DVD-upconversion capability of better Blu-ray players) is a great way to extend the life of a standard-definition DVD collection, significantly improving the image quality of the decade-old format. But no, an upconverted DVD image should not be confused with true high-definition.

The process of upconverting a DVD involves employing sophisticated video processing to expand the format’s native resolution (720x480; 345,600 pixels total) up to the resolution of the best modern HDTVs (1920x1080; 2,073,600 pixels). Better upconverting players smooth out the rough edges and fill in the gaps created by expanding the picture to this degree, resulting in an image that’s a marked improvement over unenhanced DVD.

But upconversion cannot create detail out of whole cloth. When film is transferred to standard-definition DVD, any details too fine to be captured in 345,600 pixels are lost forever. Even the most advanced video processors in the world can’t bring those lost details back from their digital afterlife.

Blu-ray, on the other hand, boasts six times as many pixels as DVD, and as such comes much closer to the resolution of film and modern digital cinema sources. What’s more, many viewers feel that the superior colors and contrast afforded by Blu-ray’s more advanced video codecs are just as significant, if not more so, than the increase in real picture detail.

SAMSUNG BLU-RAY RESOURCE CENTER

http://pages.samsung.com/us/bluraysupport/

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Isn't upconverted DVD just as good as Blu-ray?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 01:14 AM »
naku there is no debate here, even my Mom knows whether it is BD or upconverted DVD playing

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM »
naku there is no debate here, even my Mom knows whether it is BD or upconverted DVD playing

On some films with pristine transfers yes. Agree when its at least 3 1/2 stars and above. I tell you what, I was at pchins place when he demoed prison break season 2 dvd on his oppo 983, Man its is excellent, its really like hidef. I dont think one can even tell if its hidef or sd if you dont know which is playing.  On regular dvd players, one can probably tell

Offline john martin

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
There Is...Super obvious.  BD has a 3D some effect while DVD is just clearer picture.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 01:11 PM »
There Is...Super obvious.  BD has a 3D some effect while DVD is just clearer picture.

I'd go for the clearer picture.  ;)

Offline john martin

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 06:19 AM »
I'd go for the clearer picture.  ;)

What I meant was that the upscaled DVD quality is much better than the 480p signal.  Playing Blu-ray Disc has no comparison. It wins hands down in all aspects.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 07:15 AM »
It isn't that upconverted dvd is as good as Blu-ray but that upconversion, especially on displays 37 up, will reduce the image quality gap between SD dvd and Bluray to the point that it doesn't look as bad as a movie playing on local cable.

Offline gerardhamada

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 07:39 AM »
will there be a big difference sa upconverted and bd on a 32 inch 720p tv?

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 08:28 AM »
will there be a big difference sa upconverted and bd on a 32 inch 720p tv?

For me there's a big difference when comparing PQ on my upscaling DVD player and BD player. I'm using a Samsung HD860 DVD player. But I can't say for the higher end upscalers like the Oppo's. Some say that those player are really good upscalers that it's really close to BD quality.
SARS!!!

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 01:24 PM »
I'm using a Samsung DVD-1080P8 on a 40in 1080p tv, and after testing some of my DVDs I just can't wait to replace them with BDs  :-[  I think I should've bought the higher end upscalers like what pchin uses to satisfy my needs  ;D  Tried Spider-Man (korean superbit) and it looks awful, slightly satisfied though with Spider-Man 2 (r1 superbit).

But seriously, anyone here got any urges to replace the DVDs in your collectible LEs? I already bought and inserted BDs on some of my steelbooks and other LEs  ;D

Offline ^_^

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 11:24 AM »
this is a no brainer.

no matter how good your upconverter player, a DVD is incomparable to the PQ of a blu-ray. it is like comparing apples and oranges. just take note of the disc capacity of dvd. the highest is dvd-9 or a maximum of 8+ gigs of data while bluray has 50-70 gigs.

with this inherent limitation of dvd, notwithstanding the best upconverting players around, it cannot really come close to the superb PQ of bluray.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009 at 03:48 PM »
uP convertion was always a 'panakip butas' for those waiting for the HD format wars to resolve itself. once HDDVD died I went out and got a PS3. Timing nga that they had a sale :)