Author Topic: What is PDVD's stand on open discussion & trading of MKVs or HD Movie Files?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline ricracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi! I'm a newbie on HD movies.  I just noticed the open discussion and trading of MKV and HD Movie files in the PDVD website.   I'm confused if it is a form of piracy or not?

What is PDVD's official stand on this issue?

Imagine you can buy a 1TB HD preloaded with hundreds of "freebies" or actually buy the "freebies" separately for a few hundreds bucks.  I'm really not sure if these freebies are photos of famous people, computer programs, pop music or 1080p/720p HD movies.

Thanks!
;)

Offline Darth Fader

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hi! I'm a newbie on HD movies.  I just noticed the open discussion and trading of MKV and HD Movie files in the PDVD website.   I'm confused if it is a form of piracy or not?

What is PDVD's official stand on this issue?

Imagine you can buy a 1TB HD preloaded with hundreds of "freebies" or actually buy the "freebies" separately for a few hundreds bucks.  I'm really not sure if these freebies are photos of famous people, computer programs, pop music or 1080p/720p HD movies.

Thanks!

while searching for answers.. i stumbled upon this.. made me curious as well..

so mkv files are BD rips only?  so BDs are still top of the line when it comes to picture/sound quality?

I've been wondering because a friend of mine is saying he has a HD format of StarWars movies (in mkv daw).  that was actually the first time I heard about mkv files and so i got curious..

StarWars (OTC/Prequel) Movies don't have BD versions yet... how come he has an HD quality version?

so it made me wonder.. are there other HD formats equal to or better than BDs?

if mkv files are simply BD rips, am i right to assume that BDs are still the best?

Are these mkv files actually legal copies?

noob here.. hoping to learn more about HD stuff.. Thanks.

Offline Hero33

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:

From my humble understanding of the rules, PDVD does not promote or condone and in fact prohibits any illegal acts of piracy.

However, discussion regarding the technology behind such, is often found in different threads. Try searching.

Good luck!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
while searching for answers.. i stumbled upon this.. made me curious as well..

so mkv files are BD rips only?  so BDs are still top of the line when it comes to picture/sound quality?

I've been wondering because a friend of mine is saying he has a HD format of StarWars movies (in mkv daw).  that was actually the first time I heard about mkv files and so i got curious..

StarWars (OTC/Prequel) Movies don't have BD versions yet... how come he has an HD quality version?

so it made me wonder.. are there other HD formats equal to or better than BDs?

if mkv files are simply BD rips, am i right to assume that BDs are still the best?

Are these mkv files actually legal copies?

noob here.. hoping to learn more about HD stuff.. Thanks.

not all mkvs are BD rips and not all HD videos are in mkvs (some are mp4, etc). to answer your question, BDs are still the best. compared to DVDs, bdrips are really an improvement when it comes to the PQ/AQ.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,139.0.html

As quoted by pchin above, ripped videos are used for NMTs.

Offline Darth Fader

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
not all mkvs are BD rips and not all HD videos are in mkvs (some are mp4, etc). to answer your question, BDs are still the best. compared to DVDs, bdrips are really an improvement when it comes to the PQ/AQ.

Nice!  Finally, an answer I've been waiting for!  Now this definitely clears things up.  I've been contemplating for quite some time now if I should spend on an NMT-HDD set-up thinking if that's the best.. again, please forgive my ignorance on mkvs.. since BDs are still the best, I'll hold out on getting an NMT and wait til i'm financially ready to get the best. :)

plus, if mkvs are considered pirated/illegal copies, there's more reason for me not to dive in..

so there's one more question left unanswered clearly.. are mkvs form of piracy?

@ricracer, have you found an answer to your question?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:

plus, if mkvs are considered pirated/illegal copies, there's more reason for me not to dive in..

Bro, I think you've answered your own ques... ;D

mkv by itself is a video format which is fine but the usage behind it is the problem...

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95

mkv by itself is a video format which is fine but the usage behind it is the problem...

I agree with Paul here.

Nice!  Finally, an answer I've been waiting for!  Now this definitely clears things up.  I've been contemplating for quite some time now if I should spend on an NMT-HDD set-up thinking if that's the best.. again, please forgive my ignorance on mkvs.. since BDs are still the best, I'll hold out on getting an NMT and wait til i'm financially ready to get the best. :)

@ricracer, have you found an answer to your question?

though BDs are the best, its still expensive to collect them. Im also a BD collector but I only the the movies that I really really like. I also got an NMT-HDD setup which allows me to enjoy H-Def Movies and saves me a lot of money from buying DVDs.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
though BDs are the best, its still expensive to collect them. Im also a BD collector but I only the the movies that I really really like. I also got an NMT-HDD setup which allows me to enjoy H-Def Movies and saves me a lot of money from buying DVDs.

Yup, the best of both worlds! ;)

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
same goes with mp3s and any other a/v formats.

bro darth, The Star wars copy I have in my NMT is only HDTV copy and not in bluray yet. taken from wikipedia "On August 14, 2010, George Lucas announced that all six Star Wars films will be released on Blu-ray Disc in Fall 2011"

If your on an exact/tight budget, I suggest you get an NMT first.

Offline Darth Fader

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Well, I placed an "if" hoping someone would explicitly answer..  ;D

I agree with you regarding buying BDs of movies you really really like. That's my plan, too. :)  What makes me think is the thing about "saving money from buying DVDs".. Isn't this (mkv) the reason why the DVD discussion threads are dying?  http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,122476.0.html

Is saving money by buying pirated DVDs instead of original DVDs ok?

Is saving money by acquiring mkvs instead of buying original DVDs ok?

The moderators made a stand some time ago:  We no longer allow discussions on pirated DVDs.
link: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

Is the case of NMTs/mkvs any different?  Just a thought.. :)

same goes with mp3s and any other a/v formats.

bro darth, The Star wars copy I have in my NMT is only HDTV copy and not in bluray yet. taken from wikipedia "On August 14, 2010, George Lucas announced that all six Star Wars films will be released on Blu-ray Disc in Fall 2011"

If your on an exact/tight budget, I suggest you get an NMT first.

Yup, i'm aware that the BDs of the SW Saga aren't released yet. That's why I'm wondering about the source of current HD copies of the SW films.  What could be the legit source?  Just curious.. :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
What makes me think is the thing about "saving money from buying DVDs".. Isn't this (mkv)
the reason why the DVD discussion threads are dying?  http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,122476.0.html

Shifting from DVD to Blu-ray is also another reason.

Is saving money by buying pirated DVDs instead of original DVDs ok?

Is saving money by acquiring mkvs instead of buying original DVDs ok?

The moderators made a stand some time ago:  We no longer allow discussions on pirated DVDs.
link: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

Is the case of NMTs/mkvs any different?  Just a thought.. :)

I think those issues are non-controversial.

Yup, i'm aware that the BDs of the SW Saga aren't released yet. That's why I'm wondering about
the source of current HD copies of the SW films.  What could be the legit source?  Just curious.. :)

HDTV source.

Cinemax HD, November 2006:

Also on HBO HD, June 2007; Sky HD UK, January 2007, October 2009; etc.

No big deal, really.  Let them upload the Star Wars saga in 3D before 2012, and they'll get my attention  ;).

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011 at 04:39 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Try watching those Star Wars movies sourced from HDTV using LCDs with impressive Trumotion (like that Sony with 240hz Trumotion or Sharp Quatron) then tell us honestly if that is not the best version of Star Wars you have ever seen.   ;)

Observation ko lang in this specific community, ok maraming maraming meron DVD.  Not surprising since late 90s pa yung tech.  

Hindi pa masyadong maraming meron BD.  And kung meron man, karamihan ng personal collections ay yung mga titles na pinapanood ng 100x (exaggeration lang ne). Yung iba nga hindi man binubuksan yung collections because napanood na nga ng 100x.  ;)

So anong nagiging common na comment doon sa mga napanood na ng 100x.  Nice PQ, Nice AQ.  Is that enough to stir your mind?

So paano pag-uusapan yung mga talagang magagandang high def contents like Mother, Departures, Restrepo na medyo obscure, kung wala naman bumibili ng BD?  Discuss it as film?  Pang-elite na critics yata yon but that's fine.  Discuss it as DVD?  Ok that's fine too. Pero kung gusto ng ibang tao na mapag-iwanan ng panahon in terms of visual technology, that is their prerogative.  
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011 at 12:42 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Darth Fader

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Shifting from DVD to Blu-ray is also another reason.

Oh yeah.. that one, too..  ;D

I think those issues are non-controversial.

non-controversial because supporting piracy to save money is acceptable to all already?  no more conflicting sides to the issue?

HDTV source.

Cinemax HD, November 2006:

Also on HBO HD, June 2007; Sky HD UK, January 2007, October 2009; etc.

No big deal, really.  Let them upload the Star Wars saga in 3D before 2012, and they'll get my attention  ;).

ah.. tagal na pala?  ;D  thanks for the details.

now, just a question of curiosity.. if mkv files are usually ripped from BDs through a software, how were mkv files of the SW Saga made?  Are these legally downloadable from a site or are they "ripped" also?

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Oh yeah.. that one, too..  ;D

non-controversial because supporting piracy to save money is acceptable to all already?  no more conflicting sides to the issue?

ah.. tagal na pala?  ;D  thanks for the details.

now, just a question of curiosity.. if mkv files are usually ripped from BDs through a software, how were mkv files of the SW Saga made?  Are these legally downloadable from a site or are they "ripped" also?

Well, whether you accept it or not, that IS the reality...

Probably recorded live feed (recorded while watching/streaming).
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Darth Fader

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Well, whether you accept it or not, that IS the reality...

What is "real"? How do you define "real"? -Morpheus

nevermind..  it just would have been cooler though if we had a stronger conviction.  at least we could help each other resist the temptation.. rather than just accept things because of the majority.. like the 300 Spartans against thousands and changed their destiny.  Pabili nga ng HDD with free mkvs?  ;D 

Case closed.  I guess this is the answer:
To sellers offering movie freebies and/or bundled software with their items:

Please be advised that your "freebies" must be original and legitimate, or else your listings will be deleted. Movies must come in their original packaging, and not be bundled as copies or backups.

Repeat offenders' accounts will be banned.

Probably recorded live feed (recorded while watching/streaming).

Oh.. aiyt!  Thanks! :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
non-controversial because supporting piracy to save money is acceptable to all already?  no more conflicting sides to the issue?

Noncontroversial means "not likely to arouse controversy".  It does not mean "impossible to arouse controversy".  

now, just a question of curiosity.. if mkv files are usually ripped from BDs through a software, how were mkv files of the SW Saga made? 

When Star Wars was shown on HDTV, they recorded the TV program on their computers using a capture card, converted to mkv, then uploaded.

Are these legally downloadable from a site or are they "ripped" also?

You're a funny guy.  Really.

Offline babed95

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
wla rin naman nangyari sa mga warnings eh ksi yun ang realidad medyo yun iba ksi me pagkaipokrito like di ako nanonood ng pirated pro gustong bumili ng nmt tpos nagtatanong pa meron na bang freebies yan? sbi nga walang basagan ng trip as long na hindi naman dinidiscuss ng open wala talagang magagawa.