Author Topic: Working Girls (1984) DVD  (Read 9765 times)

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Working Girls (1984) DVD
« on: Apr 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM »
dvd of the original working girls (1984) is out now. housed in a cardboard slipcase, it costs P375.

did anybody buy a copy of this? i bought mine yesterday and i noticed the ff:

1. the english subtitles can't be turned off. the subtitles are not old and burned to existing copies.
2. biglang nage-echo ang audio ng ilang scenes.
3. may talon sa editing ng eksena si gina pareno while she's walking inside a makati office (simultaneous with the audio echo).
3. after the aerobics scene, biglang nag-up yung audio ng aerobics music sa isang scene ni gina when she's already at home.

i remember when viva released a vcd copy many years ago, on more than half of the movie the audio was out of sync naman. and now this. copy ko lang kaya ito or technical glitch ito sa lahat ng copies?.hope someone answers. tnx po :)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM by cicconeguy »
It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
Re: Working Girls (1984) DVD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM »
hi, cicconeguy! i also bought a copy. yep, i had the same issues with my copy.

usually, 'yung mga "special edition" na nilalabas nila, hard-encoded talaga 'yung subtitles like 'yung bituing walang ningning at sana'y wala nang wakas.

there some cases naman na yung dvd audio ay parang tunog kuha sa sine. medyo echo at parang ang layo ng pinanggagalingan like 'yung sa bakit ikaw pa rin.

still, OK na rin naman sa 'kin ang copy. sabi mo nga, out of sync 'yung sa VCD.  better this one na paminsan-minsan lang naman sumusulpot ang echoing sound.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 07:32 PM »
hello jekoy! thanks for the info. at least naliwanagan ako. :)

on another note, yung award-winning series nila sa dvd na prang generic, meron ako sa vcds. i'm planning to buy dvd copies sana. pero you mentioned the audio quality of bakit ikaw pa rin. all through out the movie ba ang echo?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 07:37 PM »
Personally, I found the video quality of the 2001 issued VCD superior to this new DVD. And it doesn't have the ugly, burned-in subtitles.  :(
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 08:18 PM »
hello jekoy! thanks for the info. at least naliwanagan ako. :)

on another note, yung award-winning series nila sa dvd na prang generic, meron ako sa vcds. i'm planning to buy dvd copies sana. pero you mentioned the audio quality of bakit ikaw pa rin. all through out the movie ba ang echo?

not all titles have such kind of sound naman. matino pa rin naman ang karamihan.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM »
Personally, I found the video quality of the 2001 issued VCD superior to this new DVD. And it doesn't have the ugly, burned-in subtitles.  :(

mr hankey, is this the vcd with rio locsin on the cover? ganun po kasi yung sa akin e, pero out of sync yung audio.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2010 at 08:01 PM »
may chapter selection at may special features ba?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 09:42 AM »
Finally watched the DVD in its entirety, since I wanted to watch it before watching the 2010 sequel by Joey Reyes.

Yes, there's the echoing, that usually happens for a few seconds every time the scene changes. Weird, but not too bad. I still think the image quality was better on the old VCD, yes the one with out-of-sync audio.

=====

On the 2010 sequel: Was this well-received? I'm halfway through, and I really think it's a piece of unwatchable crap. Majority of the cast is overacting (the worst being Ruffa Gutierrez), one guy in her boardroom scene was so wooden it seemed like he was an idiot TRYING to read the lines off a cue card with no comprehension of what the hell he was talking about. The pacing and musical scoring is also really sad - it feels like a poorly edited local sitcom from the 1980s.

The one saving grace is seeing what happened to the characters from the original film. From the old cast, Rio Locsin stands out as an actress. In the younger set, it's Iza Calzado. I really wonder why the rest are considered actresses and not just tv hostesses or starlets. Or models. Anything that doesn't require acting talent.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline ciconneguy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:09 AM »
Finally watched the DVD in its entirety, since I wanted to watch it before watching the 2010 sequel by Joey Reyes.

Yes, there's the echoing, that usually happens for a few seconds every time the scene changes. Weird, but not too bad. I still think the image quality was better on the old VCD, yes the one with out-of-sync audio.

=====

On the 2010 sequel: Was this well-received? I'm halfway through, and I really think it's a piece of unwatchable crap. Majority of the cast is overacting (the worst being Ruffa Gutierrez), one guy in her boardroom scene was so wooden it seemed like he was an idiot TRYING to read the lines off a cue card with no comprehension of what the hell he was talking about. The pacing and musical scoring is also really sad - it feels like a poorly edited local sitcom from the 1980s.

The one saving grace is seeing what happened to the characters from the original film. From the old cast, Rio Locsin stands out as an actress. In the younger set, it's Iza Calzado. I really wonder why the rest are considered actresses and not just tv hostesses or starlets. Or models. Anything that doesn't require acting talent.

i was also disappointed with this 2010 version. i guess it would have been better if the entire film focused on what happened to the original characters instead. sometime in the 80s, ishmael bernal made a sequel to working girls - the one with dina bonnevie, jacklyn jose in the cast. i remember it was not well received back then. ano kayang mas ok - that bernal sequel or this joey reyes "sequel"?

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2010 at 01:06 AM »
problem with the remake ay parang snippets lang ng buhay ng characters ang nandu'n at walang isang theme ang nagtatagni sa kanilang lahat. although funny at times, hanggang du'n lang siya.

what i like about the original is that at the end, may insights sila on the choices they made as women. sa remake, parang nagkwento lang. at saka iba-iba ang kwento ng mga babae sa una. sa remake, iza's and jennylyn's stories were almost identical in terms of their former relationships with men.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline lee1009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2010 at 06:21 PM »
The VCD version of this that was releases long time ago is much better. Well in my case everything is in sync.