Author Topic: Wharfedale diamond 10 series  (Read 110388 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale diamond 10 series
« Reply #330 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM »
Congrats and happy setup then!  I'm also thinking of either 10.6 or 10.7 for my audio setup sa living room -- later on.  That's why i tried to get the 9.6 from you in the other thread :) .  Let me know how the 10.7 performs in an audio/music 2.0 setup.  I'm very interested!

9.5 lang yon sir.  I didn't get the 9.6 then, kasi I was thinking I would need the 9.CM to match the 9.6, but the 9.CM seems just too big for my rack.  Kasya naman, kasi adjustable ang shelf ko, pero alangan ang proportions, not so pleasing aesthetics.

Baka madeliver sa Spectra by tomorrow or Wednesday, pick-up ko by Friday.

Balitaan kita sir.

I'm already thinking of topics to cover in my review.  Around 2009 pa kasi ang series na ito, so para sa super late review ko, kailangan kong mag-isip ng topics na hindi pa na-discuss, para naman hindi kayo mabugnot...  ;)   

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM by barrister »

Offline ndy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • [OIIIIIIIO]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #331 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 02:49 PM »

9.5 lang yon sir.  I didn't get the 9.6 then, kasi I was thinking I would need the 9.CM to match the 9.6, but the 9.CM seems just too big for my rack.  Kasya naman, kasi adjustable ang shelf ko, pero alangan ang proportions, not so pleasing aesthetics.

Balitaan kita sir.

I'm already thinking of topics to cover in my review.  Around 2009 pa kasi ang series na ito, so para sa super late review ko, kailangan kong mag-isip ng topics na hindi pa na-discuss, para naman hindi kayo mabugnot...  ;)   

maibookmark nga po ito:)  looking forward on your review atty:)
jeep[____]
l--l---0lllllll0-
0_)-0_)--o-)_)

Marantz SR7011
Cambridge Audio CXA61
Wharfedale's
SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #332 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 08:47 PM »
Hihi, no such thing with tubes sir.  With an avr i did and i was able to tweak to my liking. :)

it's possible for stereo listening, kung PC ang source mo.  >:D

Balitaan kita sir.

Advance congratulations sir!!! I'm sure there's i big difference coming from the 9 series. And yes,the 10s have better details for me. Hindi siya kasing laid back ng 9 series. Try comparing the 9s and the 10s sa receiver mo without EQs, mashalata ang difference. Baka nga sa T/A ka na lang mag adjust manually.  ;D

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
@barrister
magkano po kuha nyo sa speakers? and do you have a contact number (kung maari cellphone) nang Spectra? meron rin ba silang account dito? thanks!
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM »
Prices, 10.7, 10.CS and 10.SR --- P22.5K; 5.4K; 4.05K; for a total of P31,950.

Merong thread, pero hindi na yata nagpo-post ang Spectra: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,27124.330.html

Phone call na lang sir, mas mabilis pa. 

Phone: 818 5493 (Park Square 1, Makati).  Sorry sir, wala akong alam na cell.

Advance congratulations sir!!! I'm sure there's i big difference coming from the 9 series. And yes,the 10s have better details for me. Hindi siya kasing laid back ng 9 series. Try comparing the 9s and the 10s sa receiver mo without EQs, mashalata ang difference. Baka nga sa T/A ka na lang mag adjust manually.  ;D

Ninong!  Thanks for the info.

Ikaw pala dapat ang tinanong ko sir, hindi ko kasi alam na very familiar ka pala sa Diamond 9 vs. 10!

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM by barrister »

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #335 on: Nov 27, 2012 at 09:32 AM »
Prices, 10.7, 10.CS and 10.SR --- P22.5K; 5.4K; 4.05K; for a total of P31,950.

Merong thread, pero hindi na yata nagpo-post ang Spectra: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,27124.330.html

Phone call na lang sir, mas mabilis pa. 

Phone: 818 5493 (Park Square 1, Makati).  Sorry sir, wala akong alam na cell.

Ninong!  Thanks for the info.

Ikaw pala dapat ang tinanong ko sir, hindi ko kasi alam na very familiar ka pala sa Diamond 9 vs. 10!

get the 10CM
Love me or hate me.....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Nov 27, 2012 at 09:55 AM »
Mas tama nga ang CM with 10.7, pareho kasing 6.5" woofers + midrange driver. 

Matagal ko ring inisip yan sir, pero the CM is just too big. Ang preferred placement ko kasi ay below the TV, on a shelf inside the AV rack.  Adjustable ang shelf ko, pero magiging alangan ang porma sa proportions.

For those who want a 10.7 and have no problem with the center's size, tama si sir raider --- CM ang the best na ka-partner niyan.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 09:49 AM »
I’ve already set up my Wharfedale Diamond 10.7, 10 CS and 10.SR.  So here are my impressions:

I. Aesthetics

The Diamond 10 is a good-looking series, no doubt about it.  The Diamond 10 cabinet is curved like the Diamond 9s, but the 10s have a composite front baffle in piano black finish that looks pretty sleek.  The gold-plated binding posts and bridge connectors of the 9 series were also retained on the 10s.  But the most eye-catching aesthetic feature is the aluminum speaker flanges that are as shiny as polished chrome.  The contrast between the piano black front baffle and the shiny silver flanges looks striking. 

The grille frame looks like it’s made of wood, unlike the flimsy plastic grille frame of the 9s.  The problem with the grilles on the 10s is that the pegs are not placed on the outer edges and corners of the frame, but on the inner portions where they’re supposed to attach to the hexagonal holes of the Allen screw heads on the speaker flanges.  The idea behind the peg placement is to make a front baffle that has no noticeable peg holes when the grilles are off. 

As a result, the pegs are now just little stubs that need rubber covers to hold the pegs inside the Allen screw head holes.  Upon inspection at the retailer, my sealed-box 10.7 pair had 5 missing rubber peg covers, believe it or not.  Without the rubber covers, the peg will not snap onto the Allen screw head hole, so the retailer took 5 rubber covers from the display models and attached them to my set.  When I got home, I tested the grilles and found that every time the grilles are removed, those 5 surplus rubber covers detach from the pegs and remain stuck inside the Allen screw head holes.  So I had to glue the rubbers onto the pegs myself.   

The 10.7’s grilles are fine now, but it’s annoying to have to go through all that trouble just because the designers wanted a silly “invisible” peg-hole look.  As a side note, my 10 CS and 10.SRs have no problems with the grille pegs and rubbers, maybe because the grille frames on those two models are much shorter, making them less problem-prone.

It looks like the Diamond 10s are designed to be used with grilles off.  So if you like the no-grilles look, then this is a handsome set that looks better without grilles.  But if, like me, you prefer to have the grilles on, then you’ll notice that this series was not designed with your preference in mind.

II. Specs

The Diamond 10s have black woven Kevlar woofers and black soft dome mids and tweeters.   The 2-inch mids and 1-inch tweets have a metal dome diffuser that make the mids and tweets seem bigger than they really are.     

The Diamond 10.SR is a small monopole surround speaker with a 4-inch bass/mid driver and a 1-inch tweeter, designed for wall-mounting.   Unlike the front-ported Diamond 9.SR, the 10.SR is now rear-ported.  Sensitivity is 88 dB, with a frequency range of 70 Hz to 24 kHz.  This is a two-way, two-speaker design with crossover at 2.2 kHz. 

The Diamond 10 CS is the medium-sized center speaker of the line, with two 5-inch bass/mid drivers and one 1-inch tweeter.   It’s rear-ported, like the 9 CS.  Sensitivity is 89 dB, with a frequency range of 70 Hz to 24 kHz.  This is a two-way, three-speaker design with crossover at 2.8 kHz. 

The Diamond 10.7 is the flagship of the mid-end Diamond 10 series.  It’s rear-ported, with two 6.5-inch bass drivers, one 2-inch mid driver, and one 1-inch tweeter.   Sensitivity is 90 dB, with a frequency range of 30 Hz to 24 kHz.  For sure, the extra sensitivity is provided by the 2-inch midrange driver.  This is a three-way, four-speaker design with crossovers at 150 Hz, 850 Hz, and 4.5 kHz. 

Note that the 10.7 is is not a 4-way speaker, even if it has 3 crossover points that are commonly assumed to automatically mean that the frequency range is divided into 4 ways.  This is in fact a 3-way speaker, since the Wharfedale website clearly says so. 

But strictly speaking, this is really a 3.5-way speaker, with frequency ranges divided as follows:   

1)     4.5 kHz to 24 kHz = Tweeter
2)     850 Hz to 4.5 kHz. = Midrange
3)     30 Hz to 850 Hz = Bass
3.5)  30 Hz to 150 Hz = Low Bass 

The main bass driver has a sealed enclosure, while the low bass driver has a ported enclosure.  So the two speakers should sound very different even if they are both 6.5 inchers.  The main bass driver covers 850 Hz and below.  But from 150 Hz down, both the main bass driver and the low bass driver will run simultaneously in parallel, with the low bass driver merely providing the function of "BSC" ("Baffle Step Compensation"). 

So the low bass driver only helps the main bass driver by providing reinforcement for the 150 Hz-and-below range.  The low bass does not have a frequency range dedicated to it; hence, it’s referred to as the “.5” in the 3.5-way system of this design.

III. Sound

I once had a big 3-way speaker system, but I felt the midrange was overpowering the bass.  After that, I tried a 2-way system, liked it better, and never looked back.

I’ve long preferred a two-way system because it gives me the clear mid and stronger bass that I like.  Due to the simpler design, it’s easier to build a good 2-way than a good 3-way.  So if both types are equally well-made, chances are that the 2-way will sound better because speaker integration will be easier to achieve.  That’s why high-end professional near-field monitors are 2-way systems, because the 2-way is the configuration that will give the most accurate sound. 

But the environment for near-field monitors has one characteristic not found on the HT environment --- the near-field placement of about 2 to 3 feet from the listener.  It's not going to be as easy to provide the same accuracy when the listener is positioned about 10 feet away from the speaker.  That’s why I previously had a Diamond 9.5, a 2.5-way floorstander.  With the 9.5, I had the 2-way that I preferred, plus the .5-way provided by the low bass to fill the 10-foot listening distance better.     

But this time, I wanted to try the 3.5-way Diamond 10.7 and see if the new low-cost 3-ways have improved.  I was a bit skeptical, since a 2-way system designer has only one crossover to dial in right, but a 3-way system designer would have to get two crossovers right, making it more likely that the 3-way will have more integration and transition problems. 

But hey, designers have the benefit of computer software these days to help them design their speakers, so why not give those 3-ways a try and find out for myself if the supposedly greater clarity and detail on the 10.7 they’re talking about is going to work for me.

My receiver is Yamaha 767, a 2010 mid-end model that has PEQ (Parametric Equalization) in its YPAO feature. The receiver was YPAO-calibrated while partnered with my previous Diamond 9s, and I connected my new 10 set without re-calibrating, to find out what differences I would observe.

Using my old Diamond 9 YPAO settings on my new Diamond 10s, I noticed that the midrange changed from full and aggressive to thin and mild.  The difference was slight, and will only be noticeable to someone who’s had the 9s for a long time, which in my case was 6+ years.  The bass also weakened very slightly.  But the bass reduction was so slight that I had to listen very closely to notice anything.  Tweeters: still good, typical of soft-dome types; sound is the same as the old 9.5s.

Now, on to YPAO calibration.  Running the Diamond 10s with their own YPAO settings, the midrange is much better --- clearer, fuller and more forward, plus much more natural.  So it seems that the auto calibration PEQ really does work.  As for the bass, I can hardly notice any difference at all, not even after a long listening session.  Maybe it’s the subwoofer that’s making it nearly impossible to notice the difference.  I’m going to have to listen to 2-channel CD on pure direct mode (no sub, no PEQ, no bass management, no processing) later and observe.  Highs are also pretty much the same, still has good detail without sibilance.

Compared with my old 9.5, the new 10.7 clearly sounds different, but I’m not prepared to say that the 10.7 is definitely better.  What I noticed about the 9.5 is that midrange was louder and more forward than the midrange on the 10.7.  Not in terms of SPL at the same volume level on the receiver, but in terms of forwardness in relation to the lower and higher frequencies. 

It’s going to be a matter of preference.  Someone who prefers the mid on the 9.5 would say that the 9.5s have more aggressive mids.  But someone who prefers the mids on the 10.7 would say that the 10.7s have more controlled and balanced mids.  As for me, I haven’t quite decided yet.   

Testing 2.0 music CD tracks on the Yammy’s pure direct mode, the singer’s vocals on the 10.7s sounded very good --- clean, clear, detailed, airy and not so forward-sounding.  Well, vocals on pure direct also sounded clean, clear, detailed and airy on the 9.5s too, but more forward and aggressive.

So I don’t agree that detail and clarity are better on the 10.7 vs. the 9.5, because to my ears, detail and clarity sound the same on both speakers.  The only difference I hear is a less forward-sounding mid on the 10.7s.  This is surprising to me, since I was expecting the 10.7’s dedicated midrange driver to produce more in-your-face vocals, yet I’m getting the opposite.

The bass is tight and has a huge sound, the kind you can expect from a floorstander of this size.  I was expecting the bass on this 10.7 to be slightly weaker, but I still can't detect any bass difference between the 10.7 and the 9.5.  Maybe because I'm just basing my comparison on what I remember from the 9.5s, without the benefit of an actual side-by-side comparo.  As for the highs --- still zero difference, just the same as my old 9.5s.

300 Hz to 3 khz is the usual frequency range considered to be “midrange.”  On this range, the Diamond 10.7 has only one crossover point (850 Hz) which was probably a good design choice.  Looks like they intentionally raised tweeter crossover to a high 4.5 kHz, to avoid having two crossover points in the critical 300 Hz to 3 kHz range.

I don't hear any problems as regards crossover design choices on this Diamond 10.7.  That’s expected, since Wharfedale is the second-oldest existing speaker company in the world, and a company as venerable as that shouldn’t be having problems on something as basic as crossover point choices.   

The way I see it, if auto-calibration were so great, both setups should have sounded so similar to each other that they would have been indistinguishable.  Yet I’m hearing differences even if both setups were auto-calibrated with parametric equalization. 

This only shows that auto-calibration has its limitations, and should not be expected to render receiver-speaker matching issues irrelevant.  Yes, auto calibration is a very useful tool, but it’s still not a magic pill.

IV. Conclusion

To the Wharfedale fans who presently have the Diamond 9s, don’t worry about losing the Wharfedale sonic signature if you upgrade to the Diamond 10s, because the warm characteristic is still there.   

Midrange quality improvement --- that’s the sound characteristic the Diamond 10s emphasized in this series.  But for me, this is just a change, not necessarily an improvement. 

If you already have a 2.5-way Diamond 9, an upgrade to a 3-way or 3.5-way Diamond 10 will not give you a midrange that is louder and more forward, or even clearer and more detailed, although it will give you a midrange that is more relaxed, balanced and controlled. 

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM by barrister »

Offline Jelo_B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM »
Sir -- with your experience on Wharfe's can you also offer advise on my intention to pair my new Wharfe Diamond 10's with a Pioneer receiver?  Most of what i've seen here think Yammy's and Wharfe's are a great combo.  What about Pioneer and Wharfe's? 

Advice is most welcome?  (looking at model VSX 921-K).

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #339 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM »
Sir -- with your experience on Wharfe's can you also offer advise on my intention to pair my new Wharfe Diamond 10's with a Pioneer receiver?  Most of what i've seen here think Yammy's and Wharfe's are a great combo.  What about Pioneer and Wharfe's? 

Brader Jelo, I think may wharfedale sa Megamall (Listening Room)... And they have lots of Pioneer AVRs there.
Pakinggan mo dun brader ;)

Before when I was able to audition a Pioneer AVR, for me they have almost the same character with Yamaha AVR :)

Offline Jelo_B

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM »
Bro Louie -- i will definitely do that.  Sarap mag-audition eh!  Walang kasawa-sawa.

Pero yun nga balita ko. Pioneers and Wharfe's maganda din daw na combo.  So wanted to know kung meron ng naka-try dito sa PDVD.  Kasi yung present ko na setup na lumang yammy and wharfe panalo na e.  Kaso gusto ko kunin yung Pioneer ni utol (timi) para i can setup na talaga for 7.1.  Hehehe.

Salamat sa advice sis!

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM »

get elite model kung kaya ng budget
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Jelo_B

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Nov 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM »
Kay timi ko kukunin! Nakulam na naman sya at magpapalit ng receiver for HT!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM »

Sorry sir, wala rin akong experience sa Pio receiver + Wharfe speakers. 

Pero nagtatanong-tanong din ako sa members natin, and the consensus is that yes, Wharfe + Pio will work well. 

Wharfes work well with bright amps.  Like Yammy receivers, Pios are also bright, so Wharfes will also work well with Pios.

I used to have a Pio receiver, pero matagal na, around 2001.  Ganon din ang observation ko, bright-sounding din ang Pio.

==========================================

Has anybody tried the 10.4?

Somebody who's dead-set on buying a Pio receiver is asking for suggestions, re: matching slim speakers.  I told him to try Diamond 10.4 + 10CC.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 01:13 AM by barrister »

Offline ryan750

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Dai-1chi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #344 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 08:50 AM »
because of stereophile's very positive review at the diamond 10.1, i got myself a pair..

Comparisons I compared the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 ($350/pair) with Paradigm's Atom v5 ($250/pair) and Epos's ELS3 ($350/pair when last offered, footnote 1).

Although the well-balanced Paradigm Atom v5 had a similarly gorgeous midrange, it resolved significantly less detail than the Diamond 10.1. The Atom's midbass was a bit richer, and not quite as clean or as extended as the Diamond's, and its high frequencies seemed less extended and somewhat less clear.

The Epos ELS3 resolved as much detail as the Diamond 10.1, but while its highs were as extended as the Wharfedale's, the latter's upper register sounded more delicate and refined. The Epos's bass was as extended as the Wharfedale's, and just a touch cleaner. As for high-level dynamics, the Epos wasn't quite as good as the Wharfedale, but was better than the Paradigm.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-4

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 09:48 PM »
Thanks for the Sterophile magazine heads-up.  I used to avoid that magazine, because I was under the impression that they were biased snobs.  Maybe they've changed their ways.

But it looks like your link points to a different but related article.  The excerpt you posted looks interesting, but the linked article by Stephen Mejias is different, and that author has a writing style that I don't like.

This is the correct link to your posted excerpt : http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-101-loudspeaker

The author is Robert J. Reina.  I enjoyed the read.  Much better write-up. 

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012 at 10:01 PM by barrister »

Offline royc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM »
Passed by Spectra at their new store in glorietta and saw a marantz pm5004, 3 open booths for listening and a pair of diamond 10.1s. I've been saving for speakers to match my old marantz integrated amp and wasn't considering the 10.1 but thought I have nothing to lose if I try. Inviting kasi yung listening booths.

The pair was put on top of floorstanders along with other speakers. When it played I tried telling myself that the sound is coming from the 10.1s coz I realized what they mean when they say the speakers are invisible. I was expecting the amp to be cranked coz it's only 86db but it wasn't (I was saving for high sensitivity speakers for that reason). Volume was loud for my requirement and the sound quality is impressive, at least from my newbie ears.

To cut the story short I went home with the 10.1s coz of the low price but with sound quality that is sufficient for my current needs.

BTW the spectra staff was very accommodating even when I told him I have no plans of buying yet but is just curious on listening to how the 10.1 sounds with a marantz. The store is a big improvement from the park square branch hindi nakakahiyang pumasok at mag audition coz of its open arrangement.

They also have the new 121s which I first tried but somehow I like the 10.1s. Probably coz I know that the 10.1s have good reviews while I have no idea on the 121s. Simply, I didn't find a reason to buy the 121s instead.

How does it sound? It's laid back but very clear especially on the vocals which is how I like my stereo to be. Hindi matalas ang highs. Bass is not thumping but I can get a sub if I want that. I only got a few minutes to test this morning. Hope to get more listening time this weekend.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012 at 02:47 PM by royc »
iPod Nano 3G + FiiO L11 LOD + Marantz PM44 SE + Diamond 10.1

Offline Randy1981

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
Ask ko lng po kung may nakarinig na ng wharf.10.5 with yammy im planning kc for the 10.5 as my fronts.newbie here,any suggestion will help me a lot to decide.BTW my yammy is rx-v373.thanks

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM »
medyo power hungry ung wharf
86db - kindly double check
baka mhirapan si 373 but you may try
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #349 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM »
Ask ko lng po kung may nakarinig na ng wharf.10.5 with yammy im planning kc for the 10.5 as my fronts.newbie here,any suggestion will help me a lot to decide.BTW my yammy is rx-v373.thanks

Be wary of the 10.5, the reviews are not that good, I've auditioned that before with a Denon receiver and like the 10.2(more detail) and 10.7(good lows) better than the 10.5.(it lacks the two that I mentioned).  At least the 10.2's lack in punch can be easily remedied by a sub.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline Randy1981

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. Sir timi.

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #351 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM »
bought a 10.2 at watts hi fi yesterday.i was also contemplating on a 9.3 but i was worried that that big woofer will be much harder to drive (entry level lang kasi na amp ang gagamitin ko).also saw and heard the new new wharf model but i'm not impressed

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #352 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM »
ano po recommended integrated amps to be paired with wharf 10.2?thanks

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM »
ano po recommended integrated amps to be paired with wharf 10.2?thanks

pioneer or Yamaha
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #354 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM »
Be wary of the 10.5, the reviews are not that good, I've auditioned that before with a Denon receiver and like the 10.2(more detail) and 10.7(good lows) better than the 10.5.(it lacks the two that I mentioned).  At least the 10.2's lack in punch can be easily remedied by a sub.
maling receiver kasi ang ginamit nila classmate ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 02:13 PM »
... also saw and heard the new new wharf model but i'm not impressed 

Really?

Akala ko da best na Diamonds dapat yung 100 series.  Paki balitaan mo naman kami sir, anong receiver ang naka konekta?
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012 at 02:17 PM by barrister »

Offline royc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 04:19 PM »

Really?

Akala ko da best na Diamonds dapat yung 100 series.  Paki balitaan mo naman kami sir, anong receiver ang naka konekta?

I have no idea what it was but decided to test the 121 ahead of the 10.1 using the same songs and levels. Both were connected to a Marantz PM 5004 and it was supposed to be a simple audition. I would have bought the 121 if it sounded way better than the 10.1 even if I have no idea what it was. With the 10.1 I was convinced and bought it even though my initial plan was to get an RTi which was way more expensive.

Suggest you drop by Spectra and not trust my newbie ears :-)
iPod Nano 3G + FiiO L11 LOD + Marantz PM44 SE + Diamond 10.1

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 05:10 PM »
maling receiver kasi ang ginamit nila classmate ;D

Hehe, may point ka dyan classmate.  Although nung pinag heads up yung 3 yan pareparehong denon ginamit and hindi ko talaga nagustuhan si 10.5, at least patas silang lahat na maling driver ang ginamit hehehe.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM »
I have no idea what it was but decided to test the 121 ahead of the 10.1 using the same songs and levels. Both were connected to a Marantz PM 5004 and it was supposed to be a simple audition. I would have bought the 121 if it sounded way better than the 10.1 even if I have no idea what it was. With the 10.1 I was convinced and bought it even though my initial plan was to get an RTi which was way more expensive.

Thanks for that post! 

Suggest you drop by Spectra and not trust my newbie ears :-)

I can't drop by Spectra.  I just bought a Diamond 10 set, so I'm not supposed to go anywhere near an audio gear store for at least a year...  :-[   

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 05:20 PM »
^imho atty, kahit mag audition ka pa, you won't feel bad with the diamond 10 series. Not unless may hanapin kang ibang sonic signatature na wala ang wharfs ah.  The diamond 10 for me is a very good set, lalo na mas mura pa than most.  Hindi lang value for money, its a steal in my opinion.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS