Author Topic: How I formatted to EXT3  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How I formatted to EXT3
« on: Jun 09, 2009 at 09:13 AM »
Okay here goes...  ;D

Firstly, I must point out that I used WinXP SP2 as my OS, and I have no idea how Vista might handle the EXT2/EXT3 driver.
I am also assumming that you will be using the WHOLE drive for your NMT, just one big par***on for your media files. 

After introducing myself to Linux forums and jargon (nakakahilo at first :-X),  I figured out that you first have to download these two:

Gparted Live CD ISO -- 90+ MB iso file that you burn to a cd.  This is a handy par***oning program that you have to boot up instead of your OS.  This will be doing the actual format to EXT3.

You can find it here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

*** If you don't have a program that can access and burn iso files, I would recommend ImgBurn, found here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

The second item to be downloaded is EXT2FSD, a free driver that lets Windows recognize EXT2/EXT3 files with read/write capability.  This is very important as without it, you will have to boot up a linux based OS to copy to and from your newly formatted drive.  It is a very small file that can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Okay, now we're all set  8)

1.  Load the your newly-burnt Gparted Live CD into your PC.  Also Connect your drive to be formatted. 

2.  REBOOT.

3.  Access your PC/Laptop's boot up menu during the Bios boot up screen (usually by pressing F8, F12 or DEL)

4.  Pick your CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. This will load Gparted Live.
*** you will be asked to confirm some configuration options (keymapping, language, etc).  Just leave everything as default.

5.  VERY IMPORTANT! -- Initially, Gparted will detect ALL hdd's, including your PC's.  Please be careful to select the drive you intend to format.  The GUI of Gparted is almost idiot-proof, and it will be very easy to find that option. 
***Gparted also names the drives differently, with a prefix of /dev/ followed by a drive name. (dev/sdXx/ for sata drives, where X is the drive letter, and x is the par***on number.  So it might look something like /dev/sdb1/)  Please remember the drive and par***on name (/dev/sdb1/ in my example) as we will have to use the command line interface even though it is much easier to use the graphic interface.

6.  You will find a terminal/command line button on the upper part of the screen (icon looks like a pc monitor) double click that icon.  You will then have access to the command line prompt of Gparted (looks like DOS)  You will have to enter this command:  "mkfs.ext3 -I 128 /dev/the drive name I asked you to remember" (without the quotation marks.)  mkfs.ext3 is the command to format a par***on into EXT3, the -I 128 is to set the inode setting to 128 (for compatibility with the Windows driver I think, as Gparted formats with an inode setting of 256 by default.  This is why we have to use the command line interface and not the very much easier GUI.) . So in my example, that would be:

mkfs.ext3 -I 128 /dev/sdb1  (again, this is just an example, your drive may be named differently!!!)

press enter

if you typed it correctly, it should start to format your drive  ;D  doesn't really take that long.

7.  Once it's done, double click the exit icon.  It will eject the CD, and ask you to press enter.

8.  The PC will reboot, and it will now load your OS (WinXP in my case).  Don't worry if you still can't see your drive, you have to install EXT2FSD first. 

9.  Once you have installed EXT2FSD, it will ask you for some configurations,  I think it's important to select launching EXT@Mgr at bootup as you won't be able to access the drive if it isn't running, plus the 2 options regarding EXT2 and force-writing to EXT3. It will then ask you if you want to launch the manager.  Do so.

10.  You will notice that the manager will show all drives but the EXT3 drive still has no drive letter assigned to it.  To fix this, first find the option to start EXT2FSD as a serviceOnce you do that, right-click the drive, and click ext2 management.  DO NOT tick the Mount volume in readonly mode only.  Tick Automatically mount via EXT2Mgr and select a drive letter.  Click Apply.  There, you're done! ;D  Windows should be able to detect, read and write to and from your newly-formatted disk drive.  :D   

My sources:

http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mkfs
http://linux.die.net/man/8/mkfs
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=1903
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-979523.html

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009 at 09:30 AM by Invinciible »
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline coolkiks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • cool na cool!
  • Liked:
Re: How I formatted to EXT3
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2009 at 09:19 AM »
You can also try ubuntu live cd or bootable usb.  ;)

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
You can also try ubuntu live cd or bootable usb.  ;)

thanks sir for the info.  The ubuntu file is much bigger so i chose to use the Gparted Live route.  ;)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2009 at 02:59 PM »
Other than using live Linux cd's and USB images, there are ways, like using partitioning programs that can do this on windows, Partition Magic is a good example.

However, I generally prefer doing it through Linux itself since I have one on a netbook.

Has anyone tried using ReiserFS and Ext4 on their NMT's?

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2009 at 05:03 PM »
Other than using live Linux cd's and USB images, there are ways, like using partitioning programs that can do this on windows, Partition Magic is a good example.

However, I generally prefer doing it through Linux itself since I have one on a netbook.

formatting to ext3 while using partitioning software in windows has been said to cause problems.  i never tried it so i cannot confirm.  most linux forums mention and advise against this though.

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 09:04 AM »

sir i'm a total noob with linux, so i hope you don't mind me asking, what are the improvements of ext4 over ext3 practically speaking?

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM »
Thanks for the info bro invi.. ;D

Ill just have to download and install the EXT2FSD so my desktop can read and write the HD.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
Thanks for the info bro invi.. ;D

Ill just have to download and install the EXT2FSD so my desktop can read and write the HD.

no worries... better to take the initiative, as i know how time-consuming it is to research and go with trial and error.  It would be a waste if each of us had to go through that just to format to ext3  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2009 at 01:03 PM by Invinciible »

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 01:08 PM »
Actually, EXT2 volumes are easier to work with given the software we use (EXT2IFS), we're still having difficulties getting some of the current NMT formatted drives working consistently, as it always asks you to format the drive - solved by mounting and dismounting the drive in linux, but happens time and time again, so while the advantages brought by EXT3 (journalling - less need for file system checking ergo reducing chance for corrupted data) might be good, I'm at the opinion it might be better if we used EXT2 volumes on our external drives.

Of course, this isn't a choice for NMT's since they removed the EXT2 format option.

EXT4 (haven't read much on it) might be downwards compatible down to EXT2, but unless we have an EXT4 specific version of the file system software we're using, the advantages might not be worth the hassle of getting it to work under windows.

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2009 at 08:55 PM »
Actually, EXT2 volumes are easier to work with given the software we use (EXT2IFS), we're still having difficulties getting some of the current NMT formatted drives working consistently, as it always asks you to format the drive - solved by mounting and dismounting the drive in linux, but happens time and time again, so while the advantages brought by EXT3 (journalling - less need for file system checking ergo reducing chance for corrupted data) might be good, I'm at the opinion it might be better if we used EXT2 volumes on our external drives.

Of course, this isn't a choice for NMT's since they removed the EXT2 format option.

EXT4 (haven't read much on it) might be downwards compatible down to EXT2, but unless we have an EXT4 specific version of the file system software we're using, the advantages might not be worth the hassle of getting it to work under windows.

i've been meaning to ask you about that.  I'm using EXT2FSD, but i also ran into the EXTIFS driver a couple of times.  Are the problems you are referring to Linux-based? (you mentioned mounting.)  I havn't encountered a problem yet with FSD.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM »
Bro there seem to have a problem on the ext2fsd software i downloaded, after opening it a prompt appeared that says:

"Unable to execute file"
Create process failed; code 740
the requested operation requires elevation."

How will I resolve this? TY
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 02:40 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 01:30 PM »
Bro there seem to have a problem on the ext2fsd software i downloaded, after opening it a prompt appeared that says:

"Unable to execute file"
Create process failed; code 740
the requested operation requires operation."

How will I resolve this? TY

what os are you using sir?
have you tried redownloading the installer?
i didn't encounter errors installing in win xp service pack 2

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
bro -- i am using windows vista business edition.

btw, the prompt says the operation requires "elevation", rather than operation. TY ulit

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 02:58 PM »
havn't tried it with vista (don't like that os  :P)...  i'll try to read up on it  ;)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 01:51 PM »
Bro i already have the ext2fsd software and using it i can see already the HD. The problem is i cant access and see the movie file of the HD.. help ulit please. TY ;)

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 03:36 PM »
Bro i already have the ext2fsd software and using it i can see already the HD. The problem is i cant access and see the movie file of the HD.. help ulit please. TY ;)

sir have you turned on ext2fsd as a service? if you haven't please do so.  (File > Install ext2mgr as service)
after doing so, right click the EXT drive, and click the EXT2 management context menu option.  then tick the Automatically mount using Ext2mgr box. Then pick a drive letter.  Click apply.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009 at 03:39 PM by Invinciible »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 03:49 PM »
Ahhh--- ok ill try tonight..! TY bro ;D

but wait-- how will I turn this on as a service? paturo naman bro.. TY
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009 at 04:03 PM by jerix »

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 04:50 PM »
Ahhh--- ok ill try tonight..! TY bro ;D

but wait-- how will I turn this on as a service? paturo naman bro.. TY

sa ext2fsd manager prompt po may file tab sa upper left... click nyo yun, nakalagay na dun yung option to install as service.  ;)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 07:14 AM »
Invi -- naayuz ko na. TY  ;D

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2009 at 05:56 AM »
sir Invinciible, pwede po ba akong mag format to EXT3 without having to connect the HDD via SATA? pwede ko po ba syang ma-format kung via USB lang? old school kasi yung desktop namin e, IDE lang

salamat po

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 06:59 AM »
You can also try using Linux Mint Live CD and format to ext3 using par***on editor.  Linux Mint is a distro with Ubuntu under the hood which is so easy to adapt specially for previous Windows users.  This is what I use.  Cheaper alternative to MAC....no viruses, spyware, malware.  :D

Better yet just download the iso file of linux mint then install it to your pc. On restart, you will be able to dual boot between windows and linux. Just use linux for downloading and file transfers para walang hitches.  Use windows for other purposes.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2009 at 09:44 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 04:14 PM »
sir Invinciible, pwede po ba akong mag format to EXT3 without having to connect the HDD via SATA? pwede ko po ba syang ma-format kung via USB lang? old school kasi yung desktop namin e, IDE lang

salamat po

yes boss.  i formatted both my mybooks through usb 2.0.  wala pa kasing esata port ang laptop ko.  :P  it takes less time than you would assume.  ;D it's when you transfer ALL the contents of your drives back and forth for the sake of retaining your files while being able to format all your drives to ext3 that requires a lot of patience and faith.  ;D

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 05:49 AM »
yes boss.  i formatted both my mybooks through usb 2.0.  wala pa kasing esata port ang laptop ko.  :P  it takes less time than you would assume.  ;D it's when you transfer ALL the contents of your drives back and forth for the sake of retaining your files while being able to format all your drives to ext3 that requires a lot of patience and faith.  ;D

ok thanks sir!