Author Topic: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines  (Read 79032 times)

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines
« Reply #30 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 02:25 PM »
How about the fact that atoms cannot be created, only transformed. Is that not a proof of a God creator?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 02:56 PM »
The big bang theory provides an explanation for the existence of the universe and everything in it.

Offline garyMD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 03:22 PM »
The big bang theory provides an explanation for the existence of the universe and everything in it.

that is Science. and we know for a fact that Science and Religion are parallel and will never meet.

but pray tell, who created the Universe?

argh! i shud have followed the advice. i shud ignore this thread. Peace all!  :)
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:02 PM »
    that is Science. and we know for a fact that Science and Religion are parallel and will never meet.

tigkal said Is that not a proof of a God creator? I provided a scientific explanation.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:15 PM by sardaukar »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:11 PM »
The Big Bang Theory does not necessarily rule out the possibility of intelligent creation.

The pioneer of the theory was Georges Lemaître, who called it the 'hypothesis of the primeval atom', which was later referred to as the Big Bang.  

Lemaître's theory was an application of Einstein's theory of general relativity to cosmology.  Einstein initially rejected Lemaître's theory.  But after Hubble published his velocity-distance relation which strongly supported an expanding universe (and consequently the Big Bang), Einstein quickly and publicly endorsed Lemaître's theory.

Lemaître's conclusion was that the Big Bang was a "creation-like event".

It's noteworthy that Georges Lemaître was not only a professor of physics and astronomer at the Catholic University of Leuvena (Belgium), he was also a Roman Catholic priest, who sometimes used the title "Monsignor".

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:18 PM by barrister »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #35 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:30 PM »
What's really interesting is that with present string theory, a new idea is being postulated that the universe had no beginning -- it just existed. But it will have an end. A really strange idea that is hard to wrap your head around on.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:39 PM »
^ Would you know if this is part of M Theory or a different/new version of string theory?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:42 PM »
Yikes, I really cant remember. My memory's foggy about the exact details.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
It's really hard to get them straight, specially if you're not a physicist. I barely understand them myself particularly since there's more than 1 version and they keep getting updated and modified over time. But I'm really hoping they crack this in my lifetime. Specially the holy grail--unified field theory that will bring together quantum physics and general relativity. And hopefully it can be explained in such a way that I can understand it. ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
Physicists are pinning their hope on string theory to finally bring about a unified theory of the universe. That would be awesome if they do crack it in our lifetime.

I agree with you. Most explanations of string and M theory are getting updated at a fast pace. I'm still looking for a good book or documentary that could explain it in a way that is easier to understand.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #40 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 05:03 PM »
M-theory? Michael Moorcock's Multiverse theory? Kidding. ;)

M-theory actually allows for the supernatural and the modeling of miracles. Interesting stuff:
http://creationwiki.org/M-theory
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 05:06 PM »
The geek in me would love to have an actual working multiverse theory.  :)

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 06:18 PM »
The Big Bang Theory does not necessarily rule out the possibility of intelligent creation.

The pioneer of the theory was Georges Lemaître, who called it the 'hypothesis of the primeval atom', which was later referred to as the Big Bang.  

Lemaître's theory was an application of Einstein's theory of general relativity to cosmology.  Einstein initially rejected Lemaître's theory.  But after Hubble published his velocity-distance relation which strongly supported an expanding universe (and consequently the Big Bang), Einstein quickly and publicly endorsed Lemaître's theory.

Lemaître's conclusion was that the Big Bang was a "creation-like event".

It's noteworthy that Georges Lemaître was not only a professor of physics and astronomer at the Catholic University of Leuvena (Belgium), he was also a Roman Catholic priest, who sometimes used the title "Monsignor".

Heard this "idea" in - Louie Giglio's Indescribable DVD. Makes sense - "creation-like event".

Here's another one that ties science and faith together (at least for me) - Alive DVD from Louie Giglio also.

Peace and Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 08:16 AM »
M-theory? Michael Moorcock's Multiverse theory? Kidding. ;)

M-theory actually allows for the supernatural and the modeling of miracles. Interesting stuff:
http://creationwiki.org/M-theory

Nice link. Easy to read and understand. Parang gusto ko lang i-edit. I don't think english is his first language.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #44 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM »
QUESTION TO garyMD: Would you vote for an atheist to public office, knowing full well that he is definitely qualified, not corrupt and not a trapo?

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #45 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM »
No offense to the atheist here or elsewhere, but their reasoning is always the big bang theory or it takes MILLIONS of years for something to evolve. Not to make this religious but just look at our solar system with everything lined up perfectly, the sun and the moon etc.. Imo, this is just amazing so I believe there is a creator. How about the human body? Everything complements each other. Just our blood tells us everything, thats amazing!!

I'm still waiting for the day that humans will grow wings and will be able to fly. We will evolve eventually. ::) ???..Oh wait that will not be a part of our evolution bec we come from monkeys. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM by Moks007 »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM »
^ Just to clarify, does this mean you don't believe in evolution?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 01:55 AM »
I'm still waiting for the day that humans will grow wings and will be able to fly. We will evolve eventually. ::) ???..Oh wait that will not be a part of our evolution bec we come from monkeys. ;D

This is so confusing.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #48 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 07:11 AM »
It is very difficult to prove the existence of God because humans imaginatively put that God in a box and labeled it according to his understanding. The problem happens when humans later peep on that box and does not find that God there. 
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM »
^ Just to clarify, does this mean you don't believe in evolution?

Yup Sorry I don't believe in evolution. I wanna ask one thing to those atheist. Where did humans come from? From algae or some living organism that evolved?

This is so confusing.

Sorry Im just being sarcastic ;D. I'm just saying evolutionists always say we come from some kind of organism or whatever. That is a huge change to become a human being imo. So I ask, when will we start growing wings, horns, tails etc. ;D Evolution is an advancement imo. We get better and better. You know where I'm getting at hehe ;D

It is very difficult to prove the existence of God because humans imaginatively put that God in a box and labeled it according to his understanding. The problem happens when humans later peep on that box and does not find that God there.  

Our mind is limited. We will never understand everything in this world. Imo, To each his own what they want to believe in. I just find atheist/evolutionist amusing if you ask them where humans come from. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM »
No offense to the atheist here or elsewhere, but their reasoning is always the big bang theory or it takes MILLIONS of years for something to evolve. Not to make this religious but just look at our solar system with everything lined up perfectly, the sun and the moon etc.. Imo, this is just amazing so I believe there is a creator. How about the human body? Everything complements each other. Just our blood tells us everything, thats amazing!!

Not because everything is in order, does not mean that it did not arise from chaos,hence the "Chaos Theory of Life"....it's the theory of randomness in everything eventually finding it's place.

Now isn't that more logical than beliveing in a "supreme diety"?

I'm still waiting for the day that humans will grow wings and will be able to fly. We will evolve eventually.  ..Oh wait that will not be a part of our evolution bec we come from monkeys.

To evolve is to adapt to the needs to survive in a diverse environment, for that is the wonder we have in this world it's diversity, thus humans eventually evolving does not neccessarily means they'll grow wings.

Yup Sorry I don't believe in evolution. I wanna ask one thing to those atheist. Where did humans come from? From algae or some living organism that evolved?

You might be surprised, but having a DNA simply means that there's objectivity in the sense that a person might think this way,and question or simply not believe in the tenets that religion has imposed upon us.

Our mind is limited. We will never understand everything in this world. Imo, To each his own what they want to believe in. I just find evolutionist amusing if you ask them where humans come from.

Well..thank goodness the mind is limited since it drives an individual to look for answers and use it more (for if ever the other faculties of the brain has been utilized, we probably would have discovered the reasons long before the time of copernicus) for a collective benefit.

Good for us;at least these scientists are still looking for answers,and still possess an inquisitive mind that we know from history has propelled man to discover or achieved scientific breakthroughs that have benefitted mankind.

....lastly...to each his own, we'll probably never know, maybe only in death, if the religious are correct, thank goodness for hell or purgatory, if otherwise, we'll probably not know in this lifetime.

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM by Alfie »

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 03:05 PM »
My desk is a mess and i am still waiting for the chaos theory to work for all the documents and stuff on the table to find its own place and get sorted.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 03:09 PM by GC »
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 03:41 PM »
QUESTION TO garyMD: Would you vote for an atheist to public office, knowing full well that he is definitely qualified, not corrupt and not a trapo?

i have a question unanswered from here pala.

i don't have any problem with that. as long as he/she is qualified and will be serving the Filipino people as a public servant should, then why not?

since atheist does not believe in God, i take it that he doesn't believe in an after life too? meaning, he will in all his powers do everything that is good and proper and honest in his lifetime on earth.

am i correct?
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 03:45 PM by garyMD »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 04:20 PM »
Here are some good reads ;D..Again I'm not making this a religion thing.
DNA double helix
http://www.allaboutscience.org/dna-double-helix.htm
Evolution
http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolution.htm
How scientist explain the evolution of a human brain
http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolution-of-the-human-brain-faq.htm
Evolution of man
http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolution-of-man.htm
Big Bang theory
http://www.allaboutscience.org/big-bang-theory.htm

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #54 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 06:22 PM »
DNA double helix
Evolution
Evolution of man
Big Bang theory

Interesting reading. All the theories requires more faith compared to believing what was written in the bible that God created everything.

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 at 06:34 PM by JT »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 06:25 PM »
DNA double helix
Evolution
Evolution of man
Big Bang theory

I browsed through some of your links. Interesting read.

If you don't believe in evolution, I'd like to ask what it is you do believe in. Is the Genesis origin story what you believe in? Intelligent design? Do you believe that the age of the planet is roughly 4.5 billion years? Do you believe in all the extinct species that have been found through fossils? Why would God create them if man was never going to see them alive. And why create a planet and wait billions of years before putting people on them?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 07:20 PM »
Bill Hicks made the perfect commentary about Creationism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF0Nnz0gKSI

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 09:16 AM »
I browsed through some of your links. Interesting read.

If you don't believe in evolution, I'd like to ask what it is you do believe in. Is the Genesis origin story what you believe in? Intelligent design? Do you believe that the age of the planet is roughly 4.5 billion years? Do you believe in all the extinct species that have been found through fossils? Why would God create them if man was never going to see them alive. And why create a planet and wait billions of years before putting people on them?

I believe there is a God, the creator, omnipotent. I can't answer all your questions bec. I'm not God ;D He has his own reasons. Like I said, our mind is limited and we can't answer everything. Days for God could be hundreds, thousands, millions or billions of years for us. Dinosaurs were probably destroyed by God bec he wanted to create humans, who knows. All I know is, presently, we are the supreme beings of this planet, with our minds, intelligence, looks (just check out the hot or not thread ;D), etc. and we did not come from some organism, apes or whatever.  ??? :o We will know all of these answers when its our time to meet God.

By the way, I'm just curious, What do you believe in?
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM by Moks007 »

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 09:52 AM »
i believe in God too.

and i believe that there are things that you cannot explain. we humans get in a lot of trouble because we want all questions answered. maybe that's what you called faith.

anyway, just my 2-cents.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #59 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM »

As I much I prefer a God fearing leader, an atheist can do as well in a government office as long he is virtous.

I respect Atheist as well. God respects those who take sides compared to a so called christian who do not completely submit to HIS word. Claims to be christian yet partially believe or half heartedly obeying what is commanded in the bible.

Revelation 3:15-16 says "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you
were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!"