Author Topic: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines  (Read 79341 times)

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines
« Reply #1350 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM »
Sa simula bago dumating si Kristo mas marami di naniniwala hindi ba?

most people believe in a form of religion either they are pagans, hebrew, hindu, believe in either Roman or Greek mythology. there is absolutely no point in time where non-believers were the majority or even have a significant number.

Bakit nga ba hindi sabihin ng tao na kapag gipit siya sa sarili ko na lang ako dedepende. Bakit biglang litaw ang Diyos?

same answer as with the "miracle".

However, this does not necesarily mean science is correct. Insufficiecient data leads to wrong conclusions. As such, the question is, is existing data sufficient enough?

this is the beauty of science. as new data comes along, they (the scientists) incorporate it to make changes to the current model or disregard it altogether and make a better model. unlike in religion wherein they are usually against changing their dogmas. why do you think the CBCP is against the RH Bill? remember when the Catholic Church persecuted scientists and philosophers like Galileo, Copernicus and artists in the middle ages and even in the renaissance era? check here for famous scientists who were persecuted by religion: http://www.reporternews.com/lifestyle/health-and-fitness/scientists-persecuted-throughout-history

When you have more powerful weapons due to advancement in Science, does that mean yiu have progress? Does advanced communicatiin due to internet or computers make for better relationship or is it because of the willingness to compromise?

science is not a tool to make advanced weaponry. blame the military and human conflicts for that. for your second question, it depends on how you use it. advanced communication should not be used as a replacement for socializing with people physically. it should be used as a compromise not a replacement for conventional socializing.

now, let me ask you this. what will happen if religion rules the world. not necessarily one religion. and in this world practicing science is a violation of religious dogmas. what do you think will happen?

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1351 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM »

this is the beauty of science. as new data comes along, they (the scientists) incorporate it to make changes to the current model or disregard it altogether and make a better model. unlike in religion wherein they are usually against changing their dogmas. why do you think the CBCP is against the RH Bill? remember when the Catholic Church persecuted scientists and philosophers like Galileo, Copernicus and artists in the middle ages and even in the renaissance era? check here for famous scientists who were persecuted by religion: http://www.reporternews.com/lifestyle/health-and-fitness/scientists-persecuted-throughout-history

'religion' ba talaga o catholics?

it seems ang tinutukoy mong religion is roman catholics... take note... not all religion persecutes iyang mga scientist na nabanggit mo...

dont equate religion as catholics... i think youre referring to Roman Catholics...

sa mga masasamang image ng 'religion'... blame it to professing o bulaang priest/pastor at ang kanilang sakim na ugali... :)
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1352 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM »
'religion' ba talaga o catholics?

it seems ang tinutukoy mong religion is roman catholics... take note... not all religion persecutes iyang mga scientist na nabanggit mo...

dont equate religion as catholics... i think youre referring to Roman Catholics...

sa mga masasamang image ng 'religion'... blame it to professing o bulaang priest/pastor at ang kanilang sakim na ugali... :)

Religion not the Roman Catholic Church alone. the Catholic Church is more popular when religious persecution comes to mind but in no way is it exclusive to them. Check mo yung link tignan mo kung sino yung unang binanggit na scientist. pwede magbasa. in greece, if you're an atheist they will persecute you.

Rhazes (865-925)
Muhammad ibn Zakariyā Rāzī or Rhazes was a medical pioneer from Baghdad who lived between 860 and 932 AD. He was responsible for introducing western teachings, rational thought and the works of Hippocrates and Galen to the Arabic world. One of his books, Continens Liber, was a compendium of everything known about medicine. The book made him famous, but offended a Muslim priest who ordered the doctor to be beaten over the head with his own manuscript, which caused him to go blind, preventing him from future practice.

eto protestant:

Michael Servetus (1511-1553)
Servetus was a Spanish physician credited with discovering pulmonary circulation. He wrote a book, which outlined his discovery along with his ideas about reforming Christianity — it was deemed to be heretical. He escaped from Spain and the Catholic Inquisition but came up against the Protestant Inquisition in Switzerland, who held him in equal disregard. Under orders from John Calvin, Servetus was arrested, tortured and burned at the stake on the shores of Lake Geneva – copies of his book were accompanied for good measure.

Socrates was also persecuted in ancient Greece because he was accused of being an atheist or "atheos".

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1353 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM »
Hindi pa rin nasasagot kung bakit hindi umuusbong ang paniniwala na walang relihiyon. Para sa akin ang ibig lang sabihin noon ay may kakulangan. Sa tagal ng panahon kung may ukol bubukol. Eh dahil hindi isang magandang palaisipan lamang. Sa pakikipagtalo o sa mga pag uusap usap walang problema pero hindi maisulong. Lahing bumabalik sa paniniwala na may mas mataas na kapangyarihan. Ngayon dahil ang tao nagpapatupad ng relihiyon may mga pagkakataon na nagaganap ang pagkakamali. Tao nga lang naman. Ngunit hindi natin dapat sisihin ang relihiyon sapagkat nagkakaroon din ng sariling interes mga namumuno. Kung gusto natin suruin ang relihiyon tignan natin o suruin natin ang naging buhay ng Panginoong Jesus. Gawin natin itong batayan. Hindi mga kamalian ng mga taong namumuno o mapait na karanasan ng mga tao. May kaukulang pagtatalo sa bagay na iyon. Ang relihiyon ba nababatay sa masamang naging gawain ng mga namuno? Sila nga mismo di nila natupad ang ninais ng Panginoong Jesus kung kaya't hindi dapat sila ginagawang batayan para sirain ang relihiyon.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1354 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 01:04 PM »
@leomarley

The examples you cited merely states that going against the status quo does not do you good. In present times and all throughout history one needs correct timing and proper connections. This is how the world operates. The world as run by men is very different from the world as seen from the eyes of God. How the world is run based on God is totally different.

Believing in him means entrusting to him our lives. This is not in the literal sense but in the spiritual sense. Looking into how Jesus lived his life and argued with scholars at that time means religion based on false teachings has no place. If we are to believe we should base our lives on his examples
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 at 01:08 PM by rascal101 »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1355 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 01:43 PM »
@leomarley

The examples you cited merely states that going against the status quo does not do you good. In present times and all throughout history one needs correct timing and proper connections. This is how the world operates. The world as run by men is very different from the world as seen from the eyes of God. How the world is run based on God is totally different.

Believing in him means entrusting to him our lives. This is not in the literal sense but in the spiritual sense. Looking into how Jesus lived his life and argued with scholars at that time means religion based on false teachings has no place. If we are to believe we should base our lives on his examples

i merely posted that kasi sabi ni dpogs ang Roman Catholics lang gumagawa nun. again, i don't have problems with people believing what they want as long as they're not hindering human progress. i believe people have the right to believe whatever diety they want or choose not to.

Offline Absurdist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1356 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:30 PM »
Sakin ba reply to?

Hindi pa rin sapat ang mga kasagutan mo dahil sa simula mas nakararami hindi naniniwala.

Ha? San ka nakakakita ng kulturang walang relihiyon? (Mga Hun lang alam ko.)
Mga 17th o 18th century lang kaya nauso atheism/agnosticism.
Naniniwala ba sa Kristiyanismo? Natural konti pa yun dati.

Mayroon nga noon iyung tinatawag na "religious persecution" kung saan pinapatay din ang mga naniniwala.

Kaya nga. Nagpapatayan mga tao dahil magkaiba pinaniniwalaan nila. Yun nga example ko di ba?

Di raw sakin.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:44 PM by Absurdist »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1357 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:32 PM »
Kay leomarley yun sagot ko.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1358 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:33 PM »
Ganun naman talaga sa mundo pag may matinding pagkakaiba sa pananaw dinadaan sa digmaan. Matira ang matibay. Ang panalo tama.

Offline Absurdist

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1359 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:41 PM »
Kay leomarley yun sagot ko.

Sorry bro. La ba comment dun sakin?

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1360 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:46 PM »
Gamit ko kasi cell ko at hirap ako tumingin sa mga dating sinabi. Dagdag mo pa sa dami ng gawain ko ang naalala ko lang ay kay leomarley. Sa pagtutuloy ang sa akin lang talaga ay patungkol sa sagot habang kaharap mo ang Panginoon dahil pumanaw ka na.

Offline Absurdist

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1361 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 03:03 PM »
Quote from: rascal101
Ganun naman talaga sa mundo pag may matinding pagkakaiba sa pananaw dinadaan sa digmaan. Matira ang matibay. Ang panalo tama.

Sana naman hanggang sa nakaraan lang at wag na "tama" yung ganun sa panahon natin ngaun di ba? Peace lang. La naman tayo kontrol sa ituturo satin ng kultura natin.

Quote from: rascal101
Sa pagtutuloy ang sa akin lang talaga ay patungkol sa sagot habang kaharap mo ang Panginoon dahil pumanaw ka na.

Bakit nga kailangan sagutin pa? Di ba sa Kristiyanismo alam ng Diyos ang lahat? Imbes na ang isasagot, ang mga itatanong ang dapat pinoproblema ng mga di naniniwala. Dami ba naman problema sa mundo.

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1362 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 05:41 PM »
Sorry bro. La ba comment dun sakin?

bka leomarly is suspecting chief that you are just a double account.....just speculating ;D
WCH CM U?

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #1363 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 08:23 PM »
any moderator can check this.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 at 10:52 PM by vortex1 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1364 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 10:19 PM »
Let's simplify the discussion.

Since this is the atheism/agnosticism thread, the predominant issue should be whether or not God exists.

I doubt if it's possible to prove God exists.  If proving that Jesus existed is hard enough, then proving the existence of God Almighty must be even harder. 

But I'm still curious.  Can any theist here try proving the existence of God?
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 at 10:19 PM by barrister »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1365 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM »
bka leomarly is suspecting chief that you are just a double account.....just speculating ;D

i think directed naman kay rascal yung mga questions ni Absurdist.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1366 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM »
Pakiulit na lang iyung tanong.

Offline Chorus

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Reading is Learning
  • Liked:
« Reply #1367 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 03:02 PM »
tanong ko lang since you stand to not to believe in God kung meron kayong mga anak ituturo nyo ba sa kanila ang pagiging atheism/agnosticism ?
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2015 at 03:09 PM by Chorus »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1368 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 04:43 PM »
tanong ko lang since you stand to not to believe in God kung meron kayong mga anak ituturo nyo ba sa kanila ang pagiging atheism/agnosticism ?

FYI lang. i do not necessarily do not believe in a higher being but i don't believe that if there is a "God" it's not the one being depicted in the bible, quran, etc. to answer your question, i won't force the child to believe in a specific God and/or religion. i'll let him decide whether or not he wants to believe in a God/religion when he comes to age. if i'll have it my way, i won't let the child be baptized into a religion.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1369 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 11:35 PM »
FYI lang. i do not necessarily do not believe in a higher being but i don't believe that if there is a "God" it's not the one being depicted in the bible, quran, etc. to answer your question, i won't force the child to believe in a specific God and/or religion. i'll let him decide whether or not he wants to believe in a God/religion when he comes to age. if i'll have it my way, i won't let the child be baptized into a religion.

i agree: baptizing a child - particularly a newborn - for me is a big NO. Bautismuhan lang ang tao o maski na bata kapag kusang loob silang pumayag o nagvolunteer na magpabautismo.

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1370 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 08:22 AM »
What do you call a baptized roman catholic who no longer wants to be a catholic and doesnt want to belong to any religion? Atheist din ba yun? Kasi parami ng parami ang mga taong nakikilala ko na ganito.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015 at 08:24 AM by shrek7 »

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1371 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 09:03 AM »
What do you call a baptized roman catholic who no longer wants to be a catholic and doesnt want to belong to any religion? Atheist din ba yun? Kasi parami ng parami ang mga taong nakikilala ko na ganito.

Theist pa din siguro sir. As I understand, ayaw mo lang yung mga doctrines purported by the Roman Catholic church but since you still believe that there is a God, you still want to find a religion that you would find better to enhance your relationship with him.
Never stop learning.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1372 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 09:10 AM »

protestant or theist (sabi nga ni Sir Sirhc)

for me, any member ng roman catholic na ayaw nang ma-associate as catholic ay protestante na agad.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015 at 09:19 AM by dpogs »

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1373 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 09:59 AM »
Theist pa din siguro sir. As I understand, ayaw mo lang yung mga doctrines purported by the Roman Catholic church but since you still believe that there is a God, you still want to find a religion that you would find better to enhance your relationship with him.
ah okay! I believe there is a higher being but I dont want to be associated to ANY religion at all, though I have high respect for all of them...

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1374 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM »
protestant or theist (sabi nga ni Sir Sirhc)

for me, any member ng roman catholic na ayaw nang ma-associate as catholic ay protestante na agad.
Ganun? Protestante na agad? Di ba pwedeng Spiritual lang???

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1375 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 10:03 AM »
ah okay! I believe there is a higher being but I dont want to be associated to ANY religion at all, though I have high respect for all of them...

Definitely, Theist is the more appropriate term for you.
Never stop learning.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1376 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 10:10 AM »
Definitely, Theist is the more appropriate term for you.
Thank you very much sir!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1377 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:36 AM »
1. dahil ibig sabihin nun ay sarili mo lang iniisip mo. diba christianity is doing good things for others?
2. so ang premise mo ay mali na kaagad dahil simula pa lang ang objective mo ay salbahin ang sarili mo. lahat ng ginagawa mo na kabutihan pagsunod sa utos ng diyos ay para masalba ang sarili mo. magugustuhan ba ng diyos mo yun?

Himayin ko lang pero ang ganda ng point mo for dicussion:

1. Christianity is about a relationship with God. You are also correct na hindi tama yun sarili mo lang ang iniisip mo. And chirstianity is doing good things for God, and not for others. Sa mga ibang nakakakita, it's probable na ang tingin nila is good work for others pero and intention supposedly is good works for God. It should come naturally just like the instinct ng isang magulang sa kanyang anak. Kaya may mga tao na kapag pinuri mo or pinasalamatan re nagawa nila, they redirect the praise to God.
2. Though it may seem na sarili mo lang ang iniisip mo with regards to salvation, since it is a personal relationship with God, salvation din is personal. You can guide others as to the meaning and purpose of salvation pero it will still be personal because it will be the person's choice if he wants salvation. Pero you are again correct na gumagawa ka ng mabuti sa kapwa para maisalba mo ang sarili mo is wrong. Salvation is not about doing good works otherwise, ang next question would be, hanggang kailan ang paggawa or measurement ng mabuti before ka masalaba. Salvation is about repentance from your sins, asking God for forgiveness, and accepting Jesus as your Savior because Jesus died for our sins.

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1378 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:53 AM »
But I'm still curious.  Can any theist here try proving the existence of God?

In order to answer that big question Philosophy  professor Peter Kreeft  proposed  5 questions that  we must first  answer with regards to this question of existence of God.

-First, is the question whether something exists or not. Can a thing exist whether we know it or not.
-Second is the question of whether we “know” it exists. In order to answer this affirmatively is to presuppose that first question is also answered affirmatively. Although a thing can exist without our knowing it, we cannot know it exists unless it exists.
-Third, is the question of whether we have a reason for our knowledge.
-Fourth, is the question whether these reasons amount to proof.  In most cases reasons are not proof, but are probabilities.
-Fifth is the question if there is proof, is the proof a scientific proof or a philosophical proof which is just as valid.

Based on the 5 question we can answer in the affirmative to first four but not on the fifth. Simply put God exists, we can know that He exists, we have reasons and those reasons amount to proof, but not scientific proof. Proving something that exists doesn’t always has to be scientific proof…..There are many arguments that favor the existence of God.  Like arguments from cause and effect, from history, from conscience or man’s unending search for reason and purpose,  from existence of moral values and my favorite arguments from existence of design!

It’s impossible to disprove that God is real……because we have yet to see or know of anyone who has proven that God doesn’t exist! In addition there is absolutely no way to know that He “doesn’t exist”. Thus the opposite is also true…….if God does exists, then it must therefore be possible to prove it or to know it.

Aside from all those arguments for the existence of God that I’ve mentioned there is another way to know that God exists and is real!

And that is by having a real, living, personal relationship with Him! Mutual existence is a prerequisite for a relationship. To put it in another manner; we know our parents exists  or existed, we have a personal relationship with them and therefore we know they exists! So I wouldn’t have to prove or disprove their existence…we implicitly know they exist because of our relationship.

So given the two options whether God exists or not, it’s ultimately a person’s personal choice…..it’s that thing called Free Will and faith (or lack of it) that determines his fate.
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1379 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 01:25 PM »
is being 'Agnostic' or 'Atheist' the same as "blaspheme against the Holy Ghost" - the unforgivable sin?