Author Topic: NBA 2009-2010  (Read 13043 times)

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2009-2010
« Reply #60 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 12:55 PM »
Rodman and Artest are different animals. Rodman was wild off court and controllable inside, but Artest seems quite the opposite. He's just too unstable and seems to demand the offense. I will miss Ariza's cutting, athleticism and instinct on defense. But like I told my friends, Artest is n ot a bad "Plan B" in case ariza leaves.

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
engot kasi si ariza at yung agent nya. sino ba sya para humingi ng malaking pay. hehe. di naman sya elite player.

oo he is a good player, but that doesnt mean he is irreplaceable. (lakers singing beyonce's irreplaceable)  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
Rodman and Artest are different animals. Rodman was wild off court and controllable inside, but Artest seems quite the opposite. He's just too unstable and seems to demand the offense. I will miss Ariza's cutting, athleticism and instinct on defense. But like I told my friends, Artest is n ot a bad "Plan B" in case ariza leaves.

Mukhang Artest was Plan A all along........plan B si Ariza.   

The divide between Trevor Ariza and the Los Angeles Lakers stemmed not merely from the notion that the Lakers were unwilling to pay him more than the midlevel exception (which will be approximately $5.8 million for the first season) but also from the fact that the Lakers did not make him an offer of any kind. When Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak spoke with Ariza's agent, David Lee, on Wednesday, Kupchak essentially told Lee to go get the best offer he could and bring it back to him, then perhaps L.A. would match it.

The Lakers' decision to treat Ariza like a restricted free agent disappointed and angered him greatly. He was expecting them to offer him something around $7 million, and their unwillingness to even make him an offer made him feel unwanted and as though he was not a priority to the team.

Some suggest L.A. wanted to see whether it could land Ron Artest with the midlevel exception and that's why it was reluctant to commit to Ariza. And indeed, it does appear that Artest will be Ariza's replacement.

The Lakers are not expected to play the same type of hardball with Lamar Odom, even though Odom's leverage is shrinking by the day. They believe he should be rewarded for being a good soldier and going to the bench without causing a distraction, so they probably will offer him a three-year deal worth about $8 million a year. Odom wants about $10 million, but he's not likely to get that anywhere else, so he probably will settle for what the Lakers give him.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 04:11 PM »

Offline msgt16

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #64 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
^ Nice pic. ;D

Anyway, speaking of Kobe, he's set to tour the Philippines again this July 21. link. :)

Offline joey escalera

• Collector
  • taragyis na yan
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 04:50 PM »

I AGREE..RON IS KNOWN FOR MAKING THOSE CRAZY PLAYS IN THE OFFENSE...THOSE FAST BREAK 3 POINTERS, FAST BREAK PULL UPS...SNA LANG PUMASOK LAHAT YUN..LALO NA SA PLAYOFFS...EVERY POSSESSION COUNTS...TSK TSK TSK..

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #66 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 06:25 PM »
Anybody have read anything on Kobe's (and the rest of the Lakers) reaction on Artest and Ariza? Were they (the Lakers) consulted about this? Ok kaya sa kanila?

Unlike Celtics, at least Garnet, Allen, and Pierce were being involved in trying to get Wallace (and before it was PJ Brown and Starburry)
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 07:31 PM »
Engot di ba.....with the same offer of pay per year?

Not only that, Ariza should have chosen a contender and not a lottery team, assuming that Yao REALLY is out for next season...He will just go back to whatever player he was pre-LA Lakers...Ariza, who? He was who he was, because of the Lakers players surrounding him...

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 07:34 PM »
Anybody have read anything on Kobe's (and the rest of the Lakers) reaction on Artest and Ariza? Were they (the Lakers) consulted about this? Ok kaya sa kanila?

Kobe and Odom are two of Ron's closest friends  in the league.   Odom is closest to Artest, having been a friend since highschool in NY.

Regarding Ariza, its a management decision.   Lakers knew Ariza and his agent would want more money than they can offer.   So all along, they had their sights on Artest.

Even the Celtics had the same predicament with Posey remember?   But the difference is, Posey got the money he wanted in New Orleans.  Ariza didnt.

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #69 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 09:54 PM »
mukhang okay yang deal ng lakers kay artest. magandang kakampi si artest as evidenced ng co-existence nila ni yao ming sa houston.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 11:21 PM »
It wasn't long ago that LAker fans were suggesting an Odom for Artest deal and now, they actually got Ron without letting go of Lamar. I've read before that Kobe and Artest have mutual respect for each other, so, I guess (and I hope) there will be no problem.

I think Ariza felt bad that LAkers management didn't actually give him the money he think he deserved and they were just waiting for other teams' offers and see if they can match it. He thought he deserved better treatment and was hurt with the way the LAkers handled negotiations. With Houston, he probably gets more touches now but yeah, for the same money, he could've swallowed his pride and stayed with a winning team or get the same amount of money and compete for a title with Cleveland.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 02:46 AM »
Turkoglu will be moving to the west coast, the Portland Trail Blazers...

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #72 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 03:37 AM »

good move for portland :)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #73 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 05:51 AM »
^ Seems a bit strange that both LA and Orlando are at the forefront of major off-season deals just a month after the Finals.  I think Orlando will eventually regret the loss of both Turkoglu and Lee next season (unless they can come up with better deals later).  Still not convinced that Vince Carter is the solution.

Mukang sayang nga si Ariza sa Houston.  More PT for sure, but he'll compete with Battier at the SF slot and, without Yao or T-Mac, he might have difficulty adjusting to a different type of offense there.

I think Artest knows what's expected of him once he goes to LA, so I don't think he'll be a distraction (fingers crossed).  He'll probably have "episodes" during the season, but he'll show his real value come playoff time as LA's lockdown defender for the likes of LBJ, Melo, Paul Pierce, etc.  Parang si Michael Cooper 'yan, but without the screws on.  :)        
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 at 06:00 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #74 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 06:06 AM »

so it has been LA at the back of his head all the while ;D

nice pics sir!
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 at 06:07 AM by JohnE. »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 08:22 AM »
^ Seems a bit strange that both LA and Orlando are at the forefront of major off-season deals just a month after the Finals.  I think Orlando will eventually regret the loss of both Turkoglu and Lee next season (unless they can come up with better deals later).  Still not convinced that Vince Carter is the solution.

Mukang sayang nga si Ariza sa Houston.  More PT for sure, but he'll compete with Battier at the SF slot and, without Yao or T-Mac, he might have difficulty adjusting to a different type of offense there.

I think Artest knows what's expected of him once he goes to LA, so I don't think he'll be a distraction (fingers crossed).  He'll probably have "episodes" during the season, but he'll show his real value come playoff time as LA's lockdown defender for the likes of LBJ, Melo, Paul Pierce, etc.  Parang si Michael Cooper 'yan, but without the screws on.  :)        

Agree.  Humina Magic.   Vince Carter is not a  Glue Guy that Hedo was in Magic.   Facilitator si Hedo sa Magic eh.   I would like them to find a starting PF, so Rashard can slide down to the 3 spot.

Artest playing the 3 spot for the Lakers will be no worse than the Lakers playing Radmanovic and Walton on that spot two seasons ago.   And they even got to the Finals then.   Mataas na lang expectations sa Lakers ngayon.  Thats why I aint worried about the negativity of the Artest/Ariza move.   As long as the Odom-Bynum-Gasol-Kobe core is intact, Im OK with it.

As for Ariza, engot talaga agent nya.  Attempted powerplay went pfffft.   From the start kasi intention na nila to cash in from the Lakers.   Now, Ariza, back to anonymity, less endorsements.......less open looks.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #76 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 08:38 AM »
As for Ariza, engot talaga agent nya.  Attempted powerplay went pfffft.   From the start kasi intention na nila to cash in from the Lakers.   Now, Ariza, back to anonymity, less endorsements.......less open looks.

Yeah I bet his 3pt% goes down to 32%.

ETA: I looked up his stats and 30% lang pala talaga siya, eh.  ;D This playoffs lang siya nag 48%. And that he shot more 3s this year than his past 6 seasons combined. I think he'll struggle for form in a team that won't have 3 other scoring threats on the floor.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 at 08:48 AM by sardaukar »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #77 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
from The Oregon

Hedo Turkoglu rejects Blazers, ends negotiations
Posted by Jason Quick, The Oregonian July 03, 2009 17:57PM
Categories: Breaking News

The Oregonian has learned that free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu has rejected an offer to sign with the Trail Blazers and has ended negotiations with the team.

He will leave town tomorrow morning.

its either he wanted to play for a contender or blazer's money aint enough
good thing because blazers need a DEFENSIVE presence that is why they started outlaw and baton before

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #78 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 11:10 AM »
Remember the Lakers & Rockerts series :

Like politics, in basketball there are no permanent enemies - just permanent interests.
And with the Artest signing, the Lakers are positioning themselves for a repeat.
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #79 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 11:44 AM »
Here's a rundown, from Forum Blue and Gold, of how David Lee, the agent of Ariza, blew his career with the Lakers:

Your client is a role player one year removed from a season ending foot fracture. (There are well-reported fears of a congential foot defect). Your client was a bench player for half the season and his highest points per game was not double digits. Yet he has certain advantages:

1. His team has just won the championship and the GM has stated publicly that his intention is to re-sign your client (You sneered at such weak negotiation skills)

2. Your client is a native of the city, with family and friends.

3. The system the team plays is a perfect fit for your client, who cannot create his own shot

4. Your client is part of a tight community. His teammates and coaches love him and vice versa

6. Your client wants to continue to play for the team

7. The team is the marquee team in the league, playing in a top 2 market, for the champion. Your client will never have more chances to maximize his celebrity into endorsement money.

8. Contrary to how you are spinning it your client was option A (Ariza), not option B (Artest).

Thus, even during the worst bear market for free agents - a buyer’s market - the team is willing to pay your client more than any other team.

And you still can’t get the deal done. Instead, your client has to sign for a team out of contention in now his fourth state (you know that it is hot and humid in Houston right?) for less money than he was offered by the Lakers. This takes a special skill. Your client should have stayed home with family and friends, playing for a champion, in the spotlight, and for more money. But you blew it.

Offline STRIKER

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 12:47 PM »

deal didn't push through... he's moving back east instead!

i guess its toronto for Turk!

Turkoglu had agreed on a five-year, $50 million deal with the Blazers, but changed his mind and is headed for a five-year, $56 million deal with the Raptors. Toronto would have to renounce three free agents – Shawn Marion, Carlos Delfino and Anthony Parker – to create the cap space for Turkoglu.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 at 01:01 PM by STRIKER »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 01:43 PM »
I guess he is not interested in winning anyway.

I read about the allen+rondo trade for stuckey+hamilton+prince; did ainge think dumars would bite? I don't think dumars would take in allen+rondo for prince let alone 2 more guys.

Love the move of LA. It makes the Lakers a more exciting team to watch. Its like Kobe having a bodyguard on the court.

I hope we finally get to see a Kobe vs. Lebron.

Any news on TMAC?

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 02:37 PM »
Any news on TMAC?

This one's an old post from some blog but I think it's appropriate. Seems like fans in Houston don't really like him anyway with the timing of his surgery. Until the Rockets decide their next move, McGrady's still owed $44 million for 2009 and 2010.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
Bago pa naging Rocket si Artest, he really want to be a Laker....

Dont knowif this  is a true story guys.......as told by Kobe himself to John Ireland, courtside reporter for the Lakers......

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

Loko ah..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 at 03:05 PM by Munskie »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #84 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 11:05 AM »
Yeah I bet his 3pt% goes down to 32%.

ETA: I looked up his stats and 30% lang pala talaga siya, eh.  ;D This playoffs lang siya nag 48%. And that he shot more 3s this year than his past 6 seasons combined. I think he'll struggle for form in a team that won't have 3 other scoring threats on the floor.

I agree. He had 1 good season, and 5 mediocre seasons before that. I will miss him though. He was instrumental in winning the title. If I were him, I'd fire his agent (whose only other known client is Andrew Bynum, btw).  I can't believe that they would have acrimonious negotiations with the Lakers on day 1 of the free agent season. There's months to go. Ayun tuloy, Lakers called their bluff.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #85 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 11:24 AM »
I agree. He had 1 good season, and 5 mediocre seasons before that. I will miss him though. He was instrumental in winning the title. If I were him, I'd fire his agent (whose only other known client is Andrew Bynum, btw).  I can't believe that they would have acrimonious negotiations with the Lakers on day 1 of the free agent season. There's months to go. Ayun tuloy, Lakers called their bluff.

Question is was Kupchak really intent on re-signing Ariza?  From indications I read from articles, Lakers management were already secretly brewing something up w/ Artest.  They were actually playing hardball w/ Ariza.  Maybe even from the start, Ariza didn't really have a chance at coming back in a Laker uniform.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 01:27 PM »
I just love the Nike MVP Puppets commercials.

Someone actually improved the Lil Dez commercial by taking a jab at Lebron's loss. Priceless comments by Lil Dez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-63R0T6N1k

With Hedo headed to Toronto, will the Raptors release Shawm Marion? Oh, and the Blazers now are eyeing NY's David Lee and rumors have it that the LAkers are seriously courting Lee's teamate, Nate Robinson.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #87 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 02:28 PM »
I hope Lakers get a suitable replacement for D-Fish soon. I'm sure other teams will object, as the 4 other positions in the starting line-up are occupied by good-to-great players. May chismis na si Raymond Felton daw. Ok ba yun? And why would the Bobcats let him go?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 04:13 PM »
Question is was Kupchak really intent on re-signing Ariza?  From indications I read from articles, Lakers management were already secretly brewing something up w/ Artest.  They were actually playing hardball w/ Ariza.  Maybe even from the start, Ariza didn't really have a chance at coming back in a Laker uniform.

Yes, from the start that Trevor's camp signified intention to sign in the $7-8M range, Ariza wasnt a Laker the moment that happened.   The Lakers from the start only alloted the MLE for the position, whether itwas Ariza or any other replacement.

Lakers played hardball, and so did Ariza's agent.    The bluff was Ariza is a $7-8M player.   The Lakers knew he wasnt.   And so did other teams.    In the end, Ariza signed also for the MLE for the Rockets.

Now, if Ariza was a plan B or not, depends on the timing of Artest's availability to the Lakers.   Thats not known yet.

Offline STRIKER

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 05:28 PM »
Rasheed Wallace offered a contract by boston!

no agreements was made and wallace is still looking around for other teams. Charlotte, Cleveland, Orlando and San Antonio are said to be possible suitors.