Author Topic: Best CD Player Under 15k  (Read 24850 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Best CD Player Under 15k
« Reply #90 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 09:12 PM »
Is that for all Cayins? When I saw the guts of a CD17 I thought the opamps were there so you get a choice between SS and tube output, if this is true then it's just a choice between tube buffered or not?

4 tubes yung CDT-17A pero dalawa for the output stage ng balanced output, and dalawa for the output stage ng unbalanced output. Mukhang meron siyang Burr-Brown OPA604 Opamps sa signal path.

Offline kulapong

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #91 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
ano ung dalawang malaking bilog na itim?
When do we sail?

Offline kulapong

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
saka magkano ba brandnew ng cayin tube cdp?
When do we sail?

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
ano ung dalawang malaking bilog na itim?

torroidal transformers, twin powered, isa sa transport, yun isa sa processor.

Offline dBinu

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 07:46 AM »
Is that for all Cayins? When I saw the guts of a CD17 I thought the opamps were there so you get a choice between SS and tube output, if this is true then it's just a choice between tube buffered or not?

Yes.. the opamps are for the V/I (current to voltage) stage. thanks

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #95 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM »
wow

ang neat naman ng loob ng cayin no (hidden) wires na naka-expose, maganda pa ring tingnan maski wala cover, guwapo

Offline gutierrez

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #96 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 05:26 PM »
I'm on a hunt for a new cdp, among the 3 which do you think would sound more warm and laidback

Marantz 5003

Denon dcd510

Nad 515bee

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 05:29 PM »
i like the marantz or the rotel... tabi tabi po pero i find the azur to be too bright leading to listening fatigue. but then again its all in the pairing.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:11 AM »
NAD for me sounds warm and laid back. The Marantz sound isn't laid back in my opinion.

As for Denon CDPs, the old ones were warm sounding... I haven't heard a new one yet.

I'm on a hunt for a new cdp, among the 3 which do you think would sound more warm and laidback

Marantz 5003

Denon dcd510

Nad 515bee

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #99 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:39 AM »

Marantz 5003
Denon dcd510
Nad 515bee

nad.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 06:47 PM »

Marantz 5003

Denon dcd510

Nad 515bee

Why not hte 525BEE? The Marantz I think is at 16k already, don't save the 2k on the NAD. Add 1.5k and get teh 525.

Offline dukesociety

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • music lovers of the world unite!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #101 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:26 PM »
nad has warmer sound but i've read somewhere about reliability issues. better ask nad cdp owners first before buying. marantz are well known for its built-like-tank players so you might consider it too.

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 09:51 AM »
Sir dukesociety,

same observation here, moreover there were already 3 nad c545bee cdps sold in the buy/sell area, why do they have to sell it?  Am really curious because hi-fi choice and what hi-fi has a very positive review of the c545bee.  Can anyone shed light on this?  thanks.

Offline gutierrez

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #103 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM »
Between Denon and Marantz, which will give a warmer and more laidback sq?

Offline dukesociety

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM »
Sir dukesociety,

same observation here, moreover there were already 3 nad c545bee cdps sold in the buy/sell area, why do they have to sell it?  Am really curious because hi-fi choice and what hi-fi has a very positive review of the c545bee.  Can anyone shed light on this?  thanks.

sound quality wise, nad cdp are bang for the buck. but i've read on forums about reliability issues which of course could be fixed if your unit is still under warranty. now, nasa iyo na yun kung gusto mo mag take ng risk. napansin ko lang kasi sa mga marantz cd player, up to now meron pa din mga binebentang 2nd hand na mga old models as old as 10-15 years. no info on the denon though.

link

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM »
Between Denon and Marantz, which will give a warmer and more laidback sq?

Based on reviews by different magazines, they usually observed that previous marantz models are more laidback-sounding.

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #106 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 12:34 PM »

Marantz 5003

Denon dcd510

Nad 515bee

NAD

WHAT HI-FI product of the year sub $1000
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #107 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 11:52 PM »
i have been reading threads and asking people about my combo, wanted to read and hear more oandagdag sa kaalaman, few questions po

1. What do you mean by forward sounding?
2. Laidback and warm are of the same meaning, yung parang di sya makalansing tama po ba?
3. Whats op am rolling? I raed a thread given to me by a good friend pdvd too but dumugo ilong ko eh yung
   simpleng explanation lang po di kaya ng powers ko hahahaha.
4. I have a NAD 325 BEE and NAD 525 BEE combo hooked to a DIAMOND 9.5 speaker, what else can i do to
   unleash the full potential of this set up without spending too much?

TIA sa lahat.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 09:18 AM »
i have been reading threads and asking people about my combo, wanted to read and hear more oandagdag sa kaalaman, few questions po

2. Laidback and warm are of the same meaning, yung parang di sya makalansing tama po ba?
3. Whats op am rolling? I raed a thread given to me by a good friend pdvd too but dumugo ilong ko eh yung
4. I have a NAD 325 BEE and NAD 525 BEE combo hooked to a DIAMOND 9.5 speaker, what else can i do to

TIA sa lahat.

1. It's not necessarily "bright" in terms of ear-shattering high freqs, they just tend to happen together very often. "Forward" refers more to the overall presentation of the sound. In some cases a "forward" system is also "bright" in tonality because the tweets not only push the soundstage of some instruments forward, particularly the vocals, but does so via a more efficient and unfettered (by crossover or gain circuit) tweeter. "Bright" also is not necessarily "sybillant;" you can have a dark-sounding system with ear-piercing reproduction of cymbals, "t" and "s" sounds, etc, due to room acoustics and phase issues.

2. Not necessarily, they jsut tend to hapen together. Just reverse the point I made in #1. If you hear my systems (particularly my car's) my preference for "balance" is that the presentation is forward, and tonality is either neutral or on the warm side. This way the vocals are forward, the guitars close behind, drums noticeably to the back and the cymbals lacking the excessive extension some hard-core followers of Paradigm, Focal and Grado like. Thing is, I only hear that sort of cymbal sound when Im in the front 3 rows or so, and you can add the bass drum kicking you in the chest to that. After that there are enough bodies in front of me to dampen the cymbals and bass drum.

3. In brief, op-amps are what makes the sound of an active analog output (aside form the circuit design of course). Think of it as performing the job a DAC does for the digital side, or an IC does for preamps and amps. Change it and depends on the circuit you may do better or worse. Don't mistake this to be as flexible with DAC and IC chips though.

4. A lot of tweaks are available. You can replace cables and capacitors. Of all the components, I say you start with the internal wiring of your 9.5's, plus upgrade the caps to Mundorf M-Caps (most cost-efficient; you can hear the difference spending only 1/3 of the next Mundorf line). After this you can get analog interconnects. You don't need to get "branded" expensive cables, you can make do with a good pro-grade bulk cable like Belden and a good set of plugs like Amphenol or Eichman. Or if you don't have a lot of interference, these plugs can terminate conductors like AU24's or JojoD's silver conductors. In any case whatever you do don't upgrade the speaker cables without tweaking hte internal wiring. Branded speaker cables cost a lot, especially for terminated runs (and that's what I'd pay for), but the stock internal cables can be a chokepoint.

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 07:39 PM »
Any reviews/comments on the Rega apollo?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 03:38 PM »

Try mo to:
http://www.stereophile.com//reference/50/index11.html
As for unleashing the potential, eh depende kung ano pa ang hinahanap mo (and how you currently have your gear set-up). Fixing your room's acoustics tapos speaker and listening position adjustments make the biggest diff in most cases.

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 05:12 PM »

Marantz 5003 or Cambridge Audio 540C V2

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM »
Hello

Is there an avshop that carried both nad and marantz?

thanks

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #113 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM »
i got my nad from oliver pe of listening room megamall mega b 3rd floor
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline dukesociety

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM »
Any reviews/comments on the Rega apollo?

rega apollo is in different league. based on what i've read, rega has the pace, rhythm, attack and timing. if you have the dough, go for it :)

link

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:41 AM »
rega apollo is in different league. based on what i've read, rega has the pace, rhythm, attack and timing. if you have the dough, go for it :)

link

I agree, this is a thread for 15k CDP's. The Apollo looks cheap to people who aren't in the know (ie: a friend once asked me why I wanted a CDP that looks like the original Playstation, but of course, opening that cover would have showed him it's absolutely nowhere near a $150 toy), but damn, is it solid in every aspect. Speaking of build quality, none of the brands mentioned so far were unreasonably clunky for this price range, if at all.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:43 AM by ProtegeManiac »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 07:42 PM »
Marantz 5003 or Cambridge Audio 540C V2

how about marantz 5003 vs marantz 5001 (5001 for sale half the prize)?

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 12:29 PM »

1. What do you mean by forward sounding? like the sound is in your face rather than sounding far. that's why its called "forward"
2. Laidback and warm are of the same meaning, yung parang di sya makalansing tama po ba? laidback is the opposite of "forward". warm is a different thing.
   simpleng explanation lang po di kaya ng powers ko hahahaha. replacing the op amp in your cdp to achieve a different sound.
   unleash the full potential of this set up without spending too much? a very complicated question :) :)

TIA sa lahat.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #118 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 02:17 PM »

1. What do you mean by forward sounding? like the sound is in your face rather than sounding far. that's why its called "forward"
>> IMHO, this refers to the impression that the instruments and vocals "appear" coming from the front.
It may appear that the drums (which is usually played at back) is in the front.

2. Laidback and warm are of the same meaning, yung parang di sya makalansing tama po ba? laidback is the opposite of "forward". warm is a different thing.
>> IMHO, laidback refers to the impression that the sound is nice to hear but dull, monotonous with average
dynamics (refers to the ability to accurately play very low sound level and max sound level). It appears that
the sound is coming from some distance away.

simpleng explanation lang po di kaya ng powers ko hahahaha. replacing the op amp in your cdp to achieve a different sound.
>> Refers to the replacement of the op-amp used in the output stage of the CDP. The op-amp does 2 things
- (1) Gain  (2) Low pass filter and is characterized by its specifications. Since no two op-amps are the same,
the differences in specifications define its "sound character".

unleash the full potential of this set up without spending too much? a very complicated question :) :)
>> You may need to modify your source components specifically the coupling caps and/or op-amps.

TIA sa lahat.

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009 at 02:19 PM by rascal101 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #119 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 03:09 PM »
I believe it is possible to make CDP analog sounding with proper technique.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009 at 03:10 PM by rascal101 »