Author Topic: 4-8 ohms Rating  (Read 3311 times)

Offline 2RM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
4-8 ohms Rating
« on: Jul 04, 2009 at 12:08 AM »
Question lang po. I'm planning to buy an AV receiver that has a speaker rating of 12-16 ohms when using speaker A & B at the same time. My 2 sets of speakers are rated 8 ohms, ok pa rin ba gamitin ko to. Ano po ba pwedeng maging epekto nito sa receiver and sa speaker. Thanks.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: 4-8 ohms Rating
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 08:08 AM »
gusto niyo po ba mangyari sabay silang gumana? or surround receiver ba yan?

kapag isang pares lang ang gagana bawat gamit mo (pipili ka ng isang pares) ok lang yan.

pero kapag-pagsasabayin mo, hindi puwede kasi ang dalawang 8 ohms = 4 ohm load.

baka magoverheat ang receiver mo AND/OR mapaclip mo at masira ang tweeters ng speaker mo.

ano po model ng receiver mo?
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 12:16 AM »
Denon 1508 po sana balak ko bilhin para sa 2 sets na speakers ko. Dalawa front speaker ng 1508 (Speaker A & B) sabay ko gagamitin (A+B) gawin ko sana stereo amp for audio, tuner and karaoke. Ito sana gusto ko para pwede rin convert  to my 2nd home theater set in the future sa living room.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 07:47 AM »
Denon 1508 po sana balak ko bilhin para sa 2 sets na speakers ko. Dalawa front speaker ng 1508 (Speaker A & B) sabay ko gagamitin (A+B) gawin ko sana stereo amp for audio, tuner and karaoke. Ito sana gusto ko para pwede rin convert  to my 2nd home theater set in the future sa living room.

For audio listening boss hindi masyado recommended to run two sets of speaks together dahil magkakaron ng phase issues if both sets will be placed in the same listening area. The output from one set will interact with the output of the other set, causing different things to different frequencies (some frequencies will get a boost, others will cancel).

Kung naman 2 separate rooms ang ifi-feed ng receiver/amp, then pwede nga but medyo mahirap na humanap ng 16 ohm speaks ngayon na pambahay.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 09:37 AM »
Ganun po b, thanks for the info, maybe need to change my plan. Thanks again

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
No prob sir. Hanap ka na lang ng malakas at sensitive na towers if you need more volume. The Infinity Primus P362 for example, can get quite loud with little power. Or if you really need some volume (playing loud or filling a large dead space), speaks like the Klipsch RF-63 are very easy to drive if it fits the budget. :)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 02:09 PM »
Question lang po. I'm planning to buy an AV receiver that has a speaker rating of 12-16 ohms when using speaker A & B at the same time. My 2 sets of speakers are rated 8 ohms, ok pa rin ba gamitin ko to. Ano po ba pwedeng maging epekto nito sa receiver and sa speaker. Thanks.

apparently you want to maximize the denon for stereo; here's my suggestion:
forget the A/B option. the denon 1508 has separate amplifiers for the 7 speakers, hence it is safe to connect a pair of 8 ohm speakers for the front and another pair to the surround back in zone 2 mode. by selecting the same input for the main and zone 2 you can effectively have two stereo amplifiers driving two separate pairs of speakers. just note that this will only be applicable for analog sources.
connection:
front speakers out connected to 1 pair of speakers
surround back speakers out connected to 1 pair of speakers
then select input of zone 2 same as main input

this setup can give you up to 6dB more SPL than having only a pair of front speakers without having to worry about the impedance.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 04:53 PM »
apparently you want to maximize the denon for stereo; here's my suggestion:
forget the A/B option. the denon 1508 has separate amplifiers for the 7 speakers, hence it is safe to connect a pair of 8 ohm speakers for the front and another pair to the surround back in zone 2 mode. by selecting the same input for the main and zone 2 you can effectively have two stereo amplifiers driving two separate pairs of speakers. just note that this will only be applicable for analog sources.
connection:
front speakers out connected to 1 pair of speakers
surround back speakers out connected to 1 pair of speakers
then select input of zone 2 same as main input

this setup can give you up to 6dB more SPL than having only a pair of front speakers without having to worry about the impedance.

Pwede nga yung namention ni sir marcrenz to maximize amp power. Add ko lang na you can check if you prefer the sound of this layout or just 1 set of front speaks. Malaki kasi ang chance ng phase issues pag ganito.

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
Pwede nga yung namention ni sir marcrenz to maximize amp power. Add ko lang na you can check if you prefer the sound of this layout or just 1 set of front speaks. Malaki kasi ang chance ng phase issues pag ganito.
i think imaging would be the issue, not phase. however, there's a good way to circumvent the imaging issue, and that is to stack speakers vertically, with the top speaker inverted.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 01:44 AM »
Sir Stagea thanks again, sir markcrenz thank u sa advice mukhang ito na susundin ko. Paki clarify lang po ung positioning ng speaker to eliminate imaging issue. Actually I have 1 set bookshelf speaker (Bose 301) and another set floorstanding speaker (Kenwood). Ano po bang the best position for good listening. Thanks

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 01:48 AM »
Sir Stagea thanks again, sir markcrenz thank u sa advice mukhang ito na susundin ko. Paki clarify lang po ung positioning ng speaker to eliminate imaging issue. Actually I have 1 set bookshelf speaker (Bose 301) and another set floorstanding speaker (Kenwood). Ano po bang the best position for good listening. Thanks

pagpatungin mo lang, yng speaker sa taas nakabaligtad para magkalapit tweeters

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 02:47 AM »
i think imaging would be the issue, not phase. however, there's a good way to circumvent the imaging issue, and that is to stack speakers vertically, with the top speaker inverted.

Cmiiw sir, but as I understand, the phase will depend din if the electrical networks inside the speaks are the same. May phase shift na nangyayari pagdaan sa passive networks inside the speaker. Also, yung placement nila will cause different time delays, which may cause certain frequencies from the different sets to get to the listener out of phase. Mas vulnerable ang mids at highs sa issue nato than yung lower frequencies which have lower wavelengths. As for lower frequencies, baka iba iba ang group delay ng lows which may also cause phase issues among different speaks.

Stacking the speaks with the tweets together will put the tweets closest to each other, and granted that they're identical speaks, will thereby minimize the phase problem for the discernable range. Imaging is both improved by having a point source (having the drivers close together at least, or stacking them), and by minimizing phase issues (thereby ensuring smooth frequency response).