Author Topic: The Apprentice UK  (Read 687 times)

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Apprentice UK
« on: Apr 20, 2009 at 11:41 PM »
The Apprentice UK

I just finished watching Season 4 of the UK version of the Apprentice.  And all I can say is "WTF am I doing watching the Donald Trump crap!"  I do enjoy the celebrity edition of Donald Trump's Apprentice but, watching the normal version, at the back of my head, I always wonder why would I choose a key employee based on a reality show.  Sharp contrast to the way the UK's Sir Allan Sugar version does it.  It really sift through the lot to look for that diamond in the rough.  Poseurs and wannabees get exposed very fast.

Love it.

I've been following the 5th Season, and it, still hasn't disappointed me.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 08:28 AM »
Time to check out the UK version then. :)

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
Time to check out the UK version then. :)

i'll be interested to read your opinions/reactions re: The Apprentice UK

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 04:33 PM »

It's a bit too serious.  Although it is more in keeping with the real spirit of The Apprentice.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 05:17 PM »
Currently downloading it now. I'll post as soon as I watch it. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM »
(The Apprentice UK is) a bit too serious.  Although it is more in keeping with the real spirit of The Apprentice.

True. The firings make sense, and aren't based on the boss' whims (and enormous ego).

A major difference is the almost continuous narration that goes on. This is also true of a lot of the other British reality shows - their Survivor and Big Brother also are narration-heavy.

I like how UK reality show judges actually make sense. If you watched the "Maria" compe***on, the female judge was very impressive. No "It was pitchy to me" or "You started off key." She would specifically say, "When you hit the second verse, you went flat during the (insert lyrics here)-part. Then you picked up after..." You listen to her and you know that she knows what she's talking about. A far cry from Paula and Randy.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
The Apprentice UK
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 02:56 PM »
Deep into the episodes of The Apprentice UK's 4th season -- and I love it. I agree with your comment guys about this being a more "serious" take on the apprenticeship aspect of the show. I love that Sir Alan Sugar is a no-nonsense guy who's unbelievably astute. I love how he can cut through the BS and actually determine what really happened with just a couple of statements from the contestants. And, in my opinion, he is a more believable tycoon who you will really love working for. Trump is a circus showman and oftentimes you wonder why he got so rich. With Sugar, you know that there's real genius in that head of his. I also like it that the two co-judges really trail the teams because it really gives them a great and accurate insight into the team dynamics. I think the US edition only did that for the first three or four seasons and largely abandoned it when Ivanka came in.

I'm about to finish the fourth season. By the time I finish this, the fifth season will be more than halfway into its season -- which means more Apprentice UK for me. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: The Apprentice UK
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 09:13 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of The Apprentice UK. I found the final interviews to be fantastic! They really went through the contestants' resumes and called them out on all their lies and bluffs. Extremely entertaining, Trump's Boardroom was never this much fun.

I'm very disappointed to hear that Margaret will not be returning for next season. I find her very entertaining, but I think Nick is more indispensable. In my dream world, Sir Alan Sugar would hire The Apprentice US' Carolyn Kepcher as Margaret's replacement. Too bad that's never gonna happen!
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...