Author Topic: DVD Collectors: How many are you upgrading to Blu Ray?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline darth mond

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
DVD Collectors: How many are you upgrading to Blu Ray?
« on: Mar 17, 2009 at 02:50 PM »
I have more than 200 DVDs, but now that I've upgraded to Blu Ray, I told myself: will just be buying 7 Blu Ray discs that I already have, then just buy future releases on Blu. But everyday I keep on wanting more titles and see more movies in High Def. This is getting to be very expensive for me  :o

So how many DVDs have you upgraded to Blu Ray? has anyone converted all their collection to Blu already? how about the LEs, Steel Book, Collector's Edition we searched, bought, ordered online  :).
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2009 at 07:12 PM by darth mond »

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: DVD Collectors: How many are you upgrading to Blu Ray?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 03:49 PM »
I have 604 titles on DVD and 16 titles on BD.  Of the 16 BD titles, 10 are upgrades.  I said the same thing to myself - upgrade only the really good ones and just buy the future releases. 

No I don't want to convert all my DVDs to BD right now.  Maybe in the future, when price per title drops to around P500-P800 range.  But as of now, I would just rather convert or upgrade only the ones that I like most and then get all future releases on BD.   I know it's going to be mighty expensive that is why I am restraining myself from buying too many BDs. hehehe.  So far, I think I'm doing a pretty good job seeing as I only have 16 blu-rays so far.  :P 

Yes I plan to upgrade my LEs and steels to blu-ray LEs and steelbooks.  In fact, I am into collecting BD steelbooks right now but limiting myself to only 1 per month.  So far, I have 3 BD steelbooks.   ;D  Definitely more to come!    8)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 05:26 PM »
Yup this is indeed very addictive. So I try to maximize all I can. I no longer buy dvds, especially new releases (not to sound mayabang) but Im just being realistic. But if you are a LE, steelbook collector, that another story imo. Those are worth double, triple dipping if you are that kind of collector..I only buy tv series and really old catalogs that are less than 10 dollars in dvd right now. I'm more selective and will just purchase new releases (that I really like) in blu-ray. I really love catalog movies so I try to buy them in blu when it hits the 11 to 16 dollar range. Anything higher (like 19.95 or more) I will only buy if its my super favorite (like the old Bonds ;D). I really love Hong Kong movies so I buy them even at a little premium, but usually they are priced great. An example of how great some blu can be priced is amadeus and jfk. I got it for 14.99. When I opened it up,  I thought "Man I just spent the best 14.99 dollars in blu" Well worth it. Super ganda. I'm sure the video and audio is too. ;D

I'm also trying to be selective on my purchases but I know its hard especially once these discs hit the 12 to 15 dollar levels in a matter of months. Sometimes just can't resist to replace my dvd's with them. All is worth it imo. The sad thing is, my dvds (majority reg 3, viva, magna, warner) have no value now. Just check the marketplace and see how people are having a hard time selling if its not region 1, or really good region 3's (thats the way I see it, I may be wrong). Try selling Day after tomorrow-viva for mga 150 pesos. I doubt there will be a buyer :D ;D....Hirap din nga mag benta ng brand new Blu-ray if its above 1,500. Titles have to be great (like ironman, dark knight etc.) for it to sell. I wanna sell my dvd's at a very low price like 80 to 100 pesos. I'm just consolidating everything to sell. ;D

Ooops OT na ata ako ;D..Again just being "realistic" ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2009 at 05:31 PM by Moks007 »

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 05:56 PM »
I usually buy DVDs nowadays because it's a steelbook, then just replace the DVD with a BD bought at a cheap price  ;D  BD Steelbook are still a bit pricey, and region-locked  ::)

Offline pjayg

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • I am the Nocturnal Prince!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 08:01 PM »
Presently, I have around 855 DVDs of different regions (1,2,3). I have no plans of upgrading 'yet' 'cos I'm still a slave of a CRT TV. If prices of HDTVs suddenly become more affordable, then I might decide to shift to a DVD upscaler player first, sayang naman mga DVDs e ;). So going Blu Ray is still a far off step.     

Offline chuck427

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 02:16 PM »
I'v already upgraded 29 of my DVD's to Bluray, and upgraded 6 HD-DVD's to Bluray..I have 139 DVD's left (sold a bunch in early 07) ..I still tend to buy both though...but limit my DVD's to the movies i'd probably just watch once or twice...and buy bluray's which i know ill be watching over and over..but like Sir Moks007 said, it is very addictive...especially with some Bluray prices dropping..I recently bought Fantastic Four 1 and 2 on DVD (1k R3) a month ago..but amazon had that buy 10 get 50% off, so i ended up buying FF 2 on bluray (thanks to Oreoshakes hating kapatid  ;D )...and now im contemplating on buying FF 1 on blu kasi hindi naman bagay if part 1 is dvd and part 2 is bluray.. :( 

Im not rich or anything unlike most people here, I just know how to budget my money (pra makuha ko bluray / dvd's ko) ...but for me, best thing is to just upgrade movies you love...dont end up like me  ;D ;D ;D (but again, i have no regrets,  ;D ;D ;D )

Coffeetiger, bilib ako sayo...bow down ako sayo for your ability to restrain yourself... hehehehe ;D ;D ;D
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 09:00 PM »
stumbled upon this article in ign.com on why consumers still prefer DVD

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/963/963916p1.html

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 10:11 AM »
Coffeetiger, bilib ako sayo...bow down ako sayo for your ability to restrain yourself... hehehehe ;D ;D ;D

It's not that hard to do especially if you're broke like me.  hahahaha!  :D  :D  :D

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:43 AM »
Here's a good reason to jump into bluray especially this Holiday season..

Blu-ray Players to Hit $99 This Holiday Season

Blu-ray Disc As previously reported, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has recently brought the high definition format to China. In order to accomplish this, they had to not only provide the technology to create Blu-ray Discs and players to Chinese manufacturers, but also create a licensing format which would lower costs and streamline the production process. One of the advantages to the rest of the Blu-ray buying world, commented Mark Leathan, Marketing Director at Samsung, was that we will soon see the "entry of the Chinese manufacturers into the Blu ray market that we will have a $99 Blu ray player."

Add to this the news that Lord of the Rings (Theatrical) will be out this holiday...this should be the best time to jump into Blu... ;D ;D ;D
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 09:55 PM »
Here's a good reason to jump into bluray especially this Holiday season..

Blu-ray Players to Hit $99 This Holiday Season

Blu-ray Disc As previously reported, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has recently brought the high definition format to China. In order to accomplish this, they had to not only provide the technology to create Blu-ray Discs and players to Chinese manufacturers, but also create a licensing format which would lower costs and streamline the production process. One of the advantages to the rest of the Blu-ray buying world, commented Mark Leathan, Marketing Director at Samsung, was that we will soon see the "entry of the Chinese manufacturers into the Blu ray market that we will have a $99 Blu ray player."

Add to this the news that Lord of the Rings (Theatrical) will be out this holiday...this should be the best time to jump into Blu... ;D ;D ;D

Hmmm... are they sure about this?  I'm sure they know what follows after the Chinese get their hands on the technology.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 at 09:57 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009 at 09:23 AM »
hehehe, ayun naman pala e, so more upgrades are to follow once bd players and discs prices start going down  ;D

been a dvd collector myself, but i dont have as much titles as many of the collectors have (just been buying the really good ones, download the ones i just want to view out of curiousity.

so far i've around 14 - 16 bd titles now, 5 of which are upgrades -

its hard to resist good bd offers e, and since after watching a hi def movie, hinahanap na ng eyes ko un hi def quality - well maybe thats just me, or maybe im just no longer that satisfied watching the movies i like on dvd  :D

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009 at 04:34 PM »
hehehe, ayun naman pala e, so more upgrades are to follow once bd players and discs prices start going down  ;D

been a dvd collector myself, but i dont have as much titles as many of the collectors have (just been buying the really good ones, download the ones i just want to view out of curiousity.

so far i've around 14 - 16 bd titles now, 5 of which are upgrades -

its hard to resist good bd offers e, and since after watching a hi def movie, hinahanap na ng eyes ko un hi def quality - well maybe thats just me, or maybe im just no longer that satisfied watching the movies i like on dvd  :D

hehe..Just try watching hidef straight for one week and put in a dvd the following week, you will go uugghh..especially the old catalogs.

However, I still say there are some dvds that look awesome, almost hidef quality. I just watched Saturday night live 30th anniversary edition last night on my Toshiba a35 and man it looks great. I might not buy the blu-ray version unless it goes down to 14.99..Movie is just avg to me, but songs and Travolta's dancing are great ;D

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009 at 05:02 PM »
Di ako masyadong nagpapadala sa new technologies. Nagtataka nga ako why the need for a blu ray disc while the DVD9 is already too good and clear for me. In fact, I still uses an ordinary Yamaha DVD player with ordinary RCA to my Panasonic 50PV80 ;D (it comes with free HDMI cable). Since satisfied pa ako sa quality so I decided to stick with it muna until prices for blu ray players and disc drops.

To all here at Pinoy DVD: Just enjoy the movie first, don't mind so much the new technology (e.g. HD, 7.1, etc). A good video source/player, a good screen (the bigger the better for me), and a good movie always do the trick for me :-).
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009 at 05:28 PM »
To all here at Pinoy DVD: Just enjoy the movie first, don't mind so much the new technology (e.g. HD, 7.1, etc). A good video source/player, a good screen (the bigger the better for me), and a good movie always do the trick for me :-).

Well we agree with you but we would like to enjoy a movie to its fullest so most of us here buy into new technology coupled with a big screen (if we can afford it).. so kanya kanya pa rin yan.. most of those who bought blu-ray players here whether its a PS3 or stand-alone BD player want something more..  its not just being able to enjoy the story but also to enjoy the aesthetics of a high-definition movie in BD format..   
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009 at 05:35 PM »
On my part, I already have a PS3 but have not gone into Blu Ray yet.  I would probably wait for the price to go down considerably....say sub $20.  Or I may just try a few if previously viewed ones are already available in Blockbuster, Hollywood video or FYE.

So far the previously viewed DVDs I bought from those establishments were 100% in pristine condition.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009 at 09:13 PM »
Most BDs I buy actually are those being sold by marketsellers at Amazon.  A used-like new or used-very good BD format may cost almost as much as a new DVD format.  So now I get to enjoy the latest technology without spending much actually.  ;D ;D ;D  I just buy new BDs for those titles that are really blockbusters such as Iron Man, Dark Knight, others...
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009 at 11:13 AM »
Well we agree with you but we would like to enjoy a movie to its fullest so most of us here buy into new technology coupled with a big screen (if we can afford it).. so kanya kanya pa rin yan.. most of those who bought blu-ray players here whether its a PS3 or stand-alone BD player want something more..  its not just being able to enjoy the story but also to enjoy the aesthetics of a high-definition movie in BD format..   

i have to give this a +A

its "kulang" if you watch a movie without trying to acheive its max output capabilities (e.g. hi def audio and video)

well, it all boils down to preference, I myself cant let a good movie pass by without good visuals and sounds, so kahit cable movie lang, pag maganda binubuksan ko agad HTIB ko pag hindi vacant un HT namin sa parents room, so pag dvd or bd's I really prefer watching them on loud speakers via our HT/HTIB  ;D

Offline john_jeopardy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009 at 06:02 PM »
kapag pinoybluray na ang name ng site na 'to... dun na ako maga-upgrade...  ;D

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009 at 06:32 PM »

haha ako man. :D
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009 at 12:44 PM »

Oo nga galing moh! Long live (pinoy) DVD!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 at 12:49 PM by thebat »
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009 at 03:44 PM »

Hmmm... are they sure about this?  I'm sure they know what follows after the Chinese get their hands on the technology.   ;D

You can bet they know what happens once the Chinese get the BD tech.  That's why they refused Chinese licensing for so long.

The real question is, why did they finally agree to license BD to Chinese manufacturers?

Did the low sales figures finally convince them that Chinese licensing is the only way to penetrate the mainstream market?

If BD had already captured the mainstream market without Chinese help, wouldn't they continue to refuse Chinese licensing?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 at 03:49 PM by barrister »

Offline darth mond

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2009 at 02:37 PM »
As I continue to buy Blu Ray discs, the temptation to replace DVDs keeps crossing my mind. But I just noticed: I could not believe how DVD prices have gone so low :o. It's hard to let go of DVDs you bought at SRP to almost 60%-70% off, but could not seem to find any reason (aside from sentimental) to keep titles that i want/have in blu ray. .

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2009 at 03:44 PM »
I think I have more than 300 DVD titles, It'd be really hard for me to upgrade to Blu-ray.

Offline john_jeopardy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 07:49 AM »
^^^ I think another way for the studios to surely replace dvds with bluray is to make really bad transfers or take away the special features and make them bluray exclusive... but that would be plain evil  :D

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #24 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
^ I think Warner already did that with The Dark Knight  :P

Offline john_jeopardy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM »
wala kasi akong dark knight dvd... Ain ang ginawa nila, poor transfer or yung pagte-take out ng significant bonus features?

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 02:47 PM »
wala kasi akong dark knight dvd... Ain ang ginawa nila, poor transfer or yung pagte-take out ng significant bonus features?

Poor transfer

Offline pantellica

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 11:40 PM »
currently im still enjoying my dvd..using upscaler dvd to 1080p..parang blu-ray na din..pero iba syempre ang blu-ray...had my ps3 pero ayoko panooran ng blu-ray..kapag mura na ang blu-ray player saka na lang..this is also getting expensive for me kung puro blu-ray na ako.
just keep head bangin!!!