Author Topic: Regal Films' Scorpio Nights - Confused Over DVD Releases  (Read 20521 times)

Offline Bomboi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello.

I'm new here and I live in the USA.

I want to purchase the DVD for Scorpio Nights, but I am confused over the various versions that seem to have been released.

I contacted Regal Films, who told me that their DVD has a running time of 126 minutes (the film's original length), contains English subtitles and was released in 2002.

I found another supplier who is selling a DVD of Scorpio Nights, but it does not list the running time nor does it mention subtitles on the DVD package. According to the DVD copyright date, this version was released in 2006.

The strangest thing about the second version is that it's front jacket contains the following language: "Gold Series Exclusive for International Release"; the Regal representative confirmed that this language does NOT appear on their version. Furthermore, she seemed to have no clue about the other version. First, she claimed that there was only one version; then, she said that the other one I mentioned is a different version, but she still had no knowledge of it, yet it clearly had Regal Films' logo on the package and the supplier confirmed that it was a Regal Films release.

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between these two releases?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
Re: Regal Films' Scorpio Nights - Confused Over DVD Releases
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 09:48 AM »
i have bought the one that has gold series on it. it's english subtitled and runs at 126 minutes. i'm not sure about the "first release" if ever there was one. what i have thouugh was the first ever released vcd. i'm just not sure if a dvd was released then.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 11:03 AM »
From the discussions on the Scorpio Nights thread in the Pinoy Entertainment section of this forum, the first release on home video, which I own, is the edited version. But that copyright is 1999. The second release, which keating owns, is the uncut version, released in 2006.

Discussion here: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=76406.0

The additional scenes are mentioned.

However, if you read that thread further, it says the current version on DVD from regalfilms.com is cut, so... caveat emptor.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Bomboi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 12:31 AM »
Thank you for your replies.

I did read the linked thread before posting, but I started a new thread for two reasons:

1). The last post in the thread mentioned was "over 120 days old" according to the warning message I received when attempting to reply, and it suggested I start a new topic;

2). That thread did not seem to mention anything about the 2002 version, which is offered on Regal Films' site.

However, if you read that thread further, it says the current version on DVD from regalfilms.com is cut, so... caveat emptor

vs.

The second release, which keating owns, is the uncut version, released in 2006.

Don't the above statements directly contradict each other, since the 2006 release appears to be the most current version from Regal Films?!

Also, since there is a 2002 version, I'm guessing that the 2006 version is actually the third version.

i have bought the one that has gold series on it. it's english subtitled and runs at 126 minutes.

That's very interesting, because I finally tracked down information on the Gold Series version, but it states 117 minutes! Also, are the English subtitles hard (embedded) or soft (removable)?

What does it mean by "For International Release"? I've read that these versions have been edited from their original theatrical version, so it only adds to the confusion when you assert that this version is uncut.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM by Bomboi »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM »
Don't the above statements directly contradict each other

Hence my use of "caveat emptor." I can't verify either allegation. I only have the 1999 cut version.

Offline Bomboi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 02:50 AM »
Thanks, Mr. Hankey.

I ordered the DVD direct from regalfilms.com. I think I may order the other DVD and, if I have the patience to conduct a comparative study between the two, I will post my conclusions here.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 08:30 AM »
The 2006 vcd released was the uncut version, Bomboi. Even Peque attest to this. I don't know if the 2006 dvd released was the uncut version also.

Try to compare the dvds when your order arrive. Thanks and welcome aboard on pinoydvd.com!
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009 at 08:32 AM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
Don't buy the Gold series DVD released in 2006.  I have it and it's heavily cut.  The only saving grace for that is that it has English subtitles.  I have a VCD that's longer but I don't think it's complete.  The holy grail as far as I know is an old VHS release.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM »
The holy grail as far as I know is an old VHS release.

If you're talking about the old OFFICIAL Philippine VHS release, it's identical to the 1999 VCD copy. I have both.

The pirated release in the 1980s was the complete version.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2009 at 07:34 PM »
Don't buy the Gold series DVD released in 2006.  I have it and it's heavily cut.  The only saving grace for that is that it has English subtitles.  I have a VCD that's longer but I don't think it's complete.  The holy grail as far as I know is an old VHS release.

I've got the old beta tape that I transferred to vhs but its grainy.....still its the uncut version same as the vcd that came out in 2006 and the old Trigon vhs released that Jojo has. Direk Peque was surprised when I told him about it and I'm planning to give him that copy next time he's in Manila.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2009 at 07:38 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM »
Further to these, I've just double checked my copies:

The 2006 Gold series DVD that I bought from RegalFilms.com has a running time of 1:55:59

My VCD that I bought from the Philippines (I don't know the release date because I no longer have the cover).  The disc 1 has a running time of 57:40 and disc 2 has a running time of 1:01:56
Additional info:  This VCD has trailers for these two movies: Tugatog and Makamandag na Bala
Also surprisingly I think that my VCD has a better transfer than the DVD.

I forgot that I also have a VHS.  I've just checked, the copyright was from 1999.  I no longer have a VHS player so I don't know the running time.  This one I also bought from the Philippines.

Also I just checked RegalFilms.com and it seems like they no longer selling the 2006 version.  The one that they have is from 2002
http://regalfilms.com/newshop/designItems.php?product_id=48458&genre=26&search=rated-r

I'm very interested of the running time for this release.

Keating, what's the running time of the uncut release again?

Offline Bomboi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM »
Also I just checked RegalFilms.com and it seems like they no longer selling the 2006 version.  The one that they have is from 2002
http://regalfilms.com/newshop/designItems.php?product_id=48458&genre=26&search=rated-r

According to the Regal Films rep with whom I spoke, it is 126 minutes. I even asked her to verify that she was reading this running time off the DVD (not some website or published material).

But jekoy claims that the Gold series version runs 126 minutes; while the website I checked states 117 minutes; and you assert 116 minutes?

You can understand why I'm so confused. So I won't rely on anyone's word about the 2002 version until I've checked it myself.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM by Bomboi »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2009 at 05:13 AM »
Guys the most complete version is the vcd released. I just noticed that the beta and Trigon video released during the 80's, the closing credits are not complete.

Rse i'll check later the running time of the vcd released. If it has the saliva exchange between Ana Marie Gutierrez and Daniel Fernando, that's the complete one.

Now I'm tracking the 35mm print that they shown at Toronto filmfest with subtitles. My friend along with Jessica Zafra, Direk Peque & Direk Lore previewed it at LVN studio before it was sent to Toronto filmfest in Canada back in the 90's.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2009 at 05:25 AM by keating »

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 12:06 AM »
Further to these, I've just double checked my copies:

The 2006 Gold series DVD that I bought from RegalFilms.com has a running time of 1:55:59

My VCD that I bought from the Philippines (I don't know the release date because I no longer have the cover).  The disc 1 has a running time of 57:40 and disc 2 has a running time of 1:01:56
Additional info:  This VCD has trailers for these two movies: Tugatog and Makamandag na Bala
Also surprisingly I think that my VCD has a better transfer than the DVD.

I forgot that I also have a VHS.  I've just checked, the copyright was from 1999.  I no longer have a VHS player so I don't know the running time.  This one I also bought from the Philippines.

Keating, what's the running time of the uncut release again?

According to the Regal Films rep with whom I spoke, it is 126 minutes. I even asked her to verify that she was reading this running time off the DVD (not some website or published material).

But jekoy claims that the Gold series version runs 126 minutes; while the website I checked states 117 minutes; and you assert 116 minutes?

You can understand why I'm so confused. So I won't rely on anyone's word about the 2002 version until I've checked it myself.

hi bomboi! i checked again and rse is correct. i both have the 1999 vcd and 2006 dvd (gold series).  sorry for the confusion, as well.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 03:08 AM »
Guys the most complete version is the vcd released. I just noticed that the beta and Trigon video released during the 80's, the closing credits are not complete.

Rse i'll check later the running time of the vcd released. If it has the saliva exchange between Ana Marie Gutierrez and Daniel Fernando, that's the complete one.

Now I'm tracking the 35mm print that they shown at Toronto filmfest with subtitles. My friend along with Jessica Zafra, Direk Peque & Direk Lore previewed it at LVN studio before it was sent to Toronto filmfest in Canada back in the 90's.

My VCD has the saliva exchange scene but the running time is only 1:59:36 which is around 6 minutes shorter than the claimed 126 minutes running time of the 2002 DVD release.

How's the quality of the 35mm print?  I hope that they release that as a special director's cut edition DVD.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009 at 03:10 AM by rse »

Offline Bomboi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 01:23 AM »
Well, folks, I just received my DVD from Regal Films, and I must say that the rep was very misinformed.

The DVD they sent was not the 2002 version as advertised on their website; and it was not 126 minutes as the rep claimed.

They sent me the 2006 Regal Gold Series version. This aggravates me; not only because they sent me a version different from the one advertised; but, also, I ordered the same version from another vendor. So, now, I'll have two copies of the same DVD!

Anyway, thanks for all your replies. I will continue the search and hope that someone takes it upon theirself to issue a special edition of this movie in its complete - and most desired - form.

UPDATE (7/16/09): Fortunately, my other vendor is allowing me to return my copy for a refund. If anyone is really interested in viewing the uncut love scene between Daniel Fernando (with full erection) and Anna Marie Gutierrez, it can be seen on Regal Films' Uncut Sizzling Sex Scenes. I have the 3-on-1 disc with all three volumes, but I think the SN scene is on Volume 1.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM by Bomboi »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2009 at 07:56 AM »
My VCD has the saliva exchange scene but the running time is only 1:59:36 which is around 6 minutes shorter than the claimed 126 minutes running time of the 2002 DVD release.

How's the quality of the 35mm print?  I hope that they release that as a special director's cut edition DVD.

Wow that was more confusing Rse. The 35mm print was in pristine condition. Direk PQ is really supportive of the dvd format but the ball is now on the hands of Regal Home Video if they will release it on another edition which I think SCORPIO NIGHTS deserve.

VIRGIN FOREST will be release in the future by Cine Filipino according to Direk Peque.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 04:20 PM »
For those in the Philippines who want DVD copy of this film, it costs 800 pesos and you can get a copy at the Regal office in Pasig. Call them to check on stock availability, it takes them about a week to get you a copy from the States if it isn't in stock.

HOWEVER, the version they're selling is the 2006 Regal Gold Series, which, as noted above, is edited quite a bit.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 05:55 PM »
For those in the Philippines who want DVD copy of this film, it costs 800 pesos and you can get a copy at the Regal office in Pasig. Call them to check on stock availability, it takes them about a week to get you a copy from the States if it isn't in stock.

HOWEVER, the version they're selling is the 2006 Regal Gold Series, which, as noted above, is edited quite a bit.

so that's how it'll go about getting copies here. twice the price ang benta nila considering nasa $10 price mark na lang 'yun sa site nila. orig price pa rin.

sana mag-sale din ang Regal minsan the way Star Cinema is doing now in starrystarry.com. some titles are just $1 each! super sale talaga!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 08:01 PM »
It won't be twice the price for all titles. They just very oddly came up with a single price scheme. I picked up several not-available-locally titles, with prices at $10, $16.95 $17.95 and $19.95.

Each title was 800 pesos.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 10:03 PM »
i see. pero hindi ba parang mahal pa rin if you're getting titles that are on $10 mark, especially if you're getting a lot. don't they have some sort of discount?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 11:23 PM »
They should. But I sort of got the impression na first time nila magbenta locally. Haha!

Sana magbago pa yung price scheme.

OT: The print of "Broken Marriage" is very good. Far better than that of Scorpio Nights, Relasyon, Manila By Night and Katorse.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 08, 2010 at 12:35 AM »
They should. But I sort of got the impression na first time nila magbenta locally. Haha!

Sana magbago pa yung price scheme.

OT: The print of "Broken Marriage" is very good. Far better than that of Scorpio Nights, Relasyon, Manila By Night and Katorse.

yeah, recently lang siya. i ordered online a year or two ago and inquired whether they have stocks here. wala nga raw. when i was about to order a few weeks back, i read that they are now accepting orders from the philippines to be shipped here. i just didn't inquire yet though. good thing that you told us how the process goes.

what's quite surprising with them is that they have viva titles that are not even released here on dvds.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2010 at 04:46 PM »

mr hankey, may kasama bang shipping fee ito? i was told that aside from the cost of 800 pesos,there's a shipping fee of $18.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2010 at 06:12 PM »
When I bought, walang shipping fee. I just paid PhP 800 per title, no more.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2010 at 08:56 PM »
When I bought, walang shipping fee. I just paid PhP 800 per title, no more.

they must've changed their rules or my friend have spoken to a phony CSR. do you still order from them?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM »
Not since my initial purchase of six titles.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked: