Author Topic: Which way to go? a 42" Panasonic S10 or a 50" Panasonic c10? Help!  (Read 4072 times)

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
We currently have our SAMSUNG 32" r81 LCD TV which I bought way back in 2007.  Me and wifey finally decided to buy a new TV.  Our budget is around 90k (max) so here's the deal .. i've been reading some of the threads / reviews and we are eying  into 2 TV models.  Either I get the PANASONIC 42" S10 or the PANASONIC 50" c10.  One is FULL HD the other is HD Ready.   I'll be using the TV more on gaming (PS3 and XBOX 360) as well as  watching Blueray movies & Popcorn Hour and a little bit of DVDs.  So what do you guys suggest?   Should I invest already on the FULL HD?  Should I go to later models like the PV80 or PV8?  Should I go for an LCD rather than a Plasma?  Too many options / choices - - I need the experts advice.  HELP!!!    ??? ???

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Sa 50-incher ako, 40% larger ata yung screen area ng 50-incher compared to 42-incher.

As for the argument on whether to get 720p or 1080p, sa tingin ko sa una mo lang tititigan yung mga slightly better details on a 1080p panel. Unless of course, your eyes are extremely sensitive to details all the time. ;D

And you can always use 1080i in place of 1080p.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM by blued888 »

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
as always thanks blue for the suggestion =)

Offline tailhook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
i'd advise you to get the 50 incher, but.... the price difference from the 42 is staggering. for just a little more money, you can buy two 42c10's for one 50c10. if it were me though, id get two 42c10, para mas masaya.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
i'd advise you to get the 50 incher, but.... the price difference from the 42 is staggering. for just a little more money, you can buy two 42c10's for one 50c10. if it were me though, id get two 42c10, para mas masaya.

That's a good idea ;)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Given a choice between full HD 42" and HD ready 50", I'd go for the bigger set without taking price into consideration.  This is because up to the 09 models, Full HD sets are still weaker on some aspects, like SD DVD, compared to HD Ready models.  Unless all your video viewing would be done in Blu-ray, the almost 30k price differential against the C10 wouldn't make too much sense.

However, a bigger set is a bigger set.  It brings you closer to having a true home cinema and the C10 does have good reviews so far.   

As for buying 2 sets against 1, it depends if you really think you would need to buy 2 sets.  If I were to buy 2 sets, I'd probably buy 1 C10 and 1 lz80.  Supposedly the C10 is better for TV broadcast and movies, particularly DVDs while the LZ80 being an LCD, is generally better for gaming, and is full HD.

The only thing you have to contend about if you're considering the C10 is the infamous lack of AR.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Hi Yakisoba.  Kokontra ako sa madla.   :)

Are you the PinoyXbox guy from Marikina?  If yes, trust me 1080p Bro.  1080p!  I'm one of the Xbox360 owners too.   :)   Tapos upo ka nalang ng mas malapit as you would on a 50V  ;D  

From 32V to 42V, that's 1.75x increase in screen area

From 32V to 50V, that's 2.51x increase in screen area.  Wow di ba.

For full HD 42, you can sit as near as 1.5 meters.  For 50V 720p, you'd have to stay at least 2.0 meters.   So if you sit at 1.5 meters from a 42V while gaming, e di halos pareho lang immersive experience compared to that of 50V at 2m. ;)

Mas mababa pa resolution ng C10 compared to your R81 so kung sanay na mata mo gaming on the R81,  you really have to sit farther when using C10 to approximate the same resolution as you're experiencing now.  And note that ayon sa owners, that C10 is very reflective so how can you possibly stay near that panel in the first place?   Kapag umupo ka ng malayo, would you still enjoy high def gaming the same way you do right now?

One spec you should not under-appreciate when gaming is the native resolution of the panel.

Mas maganda nga lang 50V when watching movies.

At any rate, maninibago ka pa rin because iba ang image characteristics ng plasma compared to your R81.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009 at 07:53 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
For full HD 42, you can sit as near as 1.5 meters.

He-He....Kampi ako kay Clondalkin dito, pareho yata ang experience namin,kasi ang anak ko at mga Klasmates niya......2.5 (o' 3") feet sa 1080p fullHD, tatlong oras ang laro(pero LCD ito' ha, ewan ko kung Plasma), masayang masaya parin sila, walang eyestrain.

Sa experience ko naman, kung nag-bra-browse ako, pag naka fullHD ka, at 42" kitang kita mo ang mga di' high resolution na sites, o' kaya ang mga movies na kahit HD ang format ay ma-ka-kulang pa....pero di na kita sa 1.5 meters.

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
thanks guys for the inputs:

clondalkin:  yup its me - PXB all the way! 

I'm avid gamer and that's my concern I use the TV for:

45% gaming , 25% PopCorn Hour, 15% DVD, 10% TV, and 5%  Blueray (using my PS3)

So as you can see the TV will be used more on gaming - - Plasma is good naman for HD games right? or LCD pa rin the best?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
45% gaming , 25% PopCorn Hour, 15% DVD, 10% TV, and 5%  Blueray (using my PS3)

So as you can see the TV will be used more on gaming - - Plasma is good naman for HD games right? or LCD pa rin the best?

Personally, IBA TALAGA ang dating ng LCD for high def gaming. "Hypnotic" yung IQ.   I dont know the exact words pero I would say, parang "na-DRAWING" ng master.   "Galit" yung resolution  :)  And advantage talaga na reflection is almost non-existent in HDTV LCDs because us gamers, we tend to be sooooo concentrated on every single detail on the screen during gameplay, instead of looking at the picture as a whole.  Nakaka-distract ng attention ang reflection especially kung di ka pa naliligo or natutulog.   ;D   Im sure you know well that the eye movements while gaming and while watching movies are not the same.   Also, tayong gamers, parang magnet ang TV.  Bigyan mo ng 21", you'd stay at 2ft.  Gawin mong 32V, 2 ft pa rin.  So kahit mag-upgrade ka sa 42V or 50V, Im sure lalapit ka pa rin hanggang kaya ng mata mo.  

In case you have a friend who currently owns a plasma, I would strongly suggest that you try to bring your 360 there and check the IQ first.  Otherwise, the nearest equivalent would be that of CRT HDTV (720p or 1080i) na Japan surplus.  Maganda rin kung sa maganda for HD games ang plasma, pero mas captivating ang screens ng LCD.

On the other hand, for 55% of your planned TV usage, the plasma will (arguably) give you the better IQ...so back to quandary.

Modified:
What's the handle of that nice PXB graphic artist who works (quite successfuly) in the gaming business?  Perhaps you should ask him what he uses while creating those awesome images - probably high end LCDs.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Which way to go? a 42" Panasonic S10 or a 50" Panasonic c10? Help!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
thanks guys for the inputs:

clondalkin:  yup its me - PXB all the way!  

45% gaming , 25% PopCorn Hour, 15% DVD, 10% TV, and 5%  Blueray (using my PS3)

If the primary use for the panel is gaming or PC appilcations, I would suggest a FULL HD LCD bro. Try the sony S or V series, 40" and above.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009 at 01:24 PM by aligonzales »

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 01:52 PM »
yeah I'm thinking of LCD na rin . . after reading the LCD vs PLASMA Threads.  How much are the SONY S or V series now?   I'm also thinking of the Panasonic 42" LZ80 - FULL HD

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM »
yeah I'm thinking of LCD na rin . . after reading the LCD vs PLASMA Threads.  How much are the SONY S or V series now?   I'm also thinking of the Panasonic 42" LZ80 - FULL HD

Here are the prices:
Sony 40s400 at P66K
Sony 40s550 P77K
Panasonic 42LZ80 P48K
Sony 40V400 P75K

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 01:58 AM »
bro why not save your r81 nalang for gaming?  ;D then plasma for movies ;)

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 06:39 AM »
pwede pero the r81 will be moved in our bedroom and di naka setup dun yung HOME THEATER ko eh hehehe =)

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 06:52 AM »
will there really be a big difference in gaming / watching movies kung 1080p yung movies/games compared to the 1080i/720p.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 03:45 PM »
Hello,

I use to have a 37R81 and a 37M8 from Samsung before I moved to plasma and allow me to say this much. If your principal use is for gaming, then a FULL HD LCD panel is still the best technology for that need. For digital games that rely so much on pixel counts and polygons, the "digital" feel of LCD will better a plasma most of the time. Despite having 2 FULL HD Plasma models (PY800 and S10) I still prefer gaming on my Samsung 40A650 FULL HD LCD. Colors may suffer a little bit because of the somewhat pale defenition of Samsung but this could easily be fixed via calibration or for short timpla timpla lang ayos na! The "crispness" of detail is decreased on 720p Panasonic plasma's and while you may jump up the sharpness, to add crisp, you may end up with jaggy images.

For blu-ray I guess, any of the models you presented would be good enough.

I'll add more later medyo busy lang po tayo=)

Don't jump the gun muna bossing dahil like I said may R8 din po ako dati ;)

Offline raul21

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 05:57 PM »
in my opinion bro tama yung mga suggestion nila sir, just research lang at wag magmadali, eventually makakapili ka rin po,(just learned that the hard way cause our Philips LCD is giving me a heartache)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM »

45% gaming , 25% PopCorn Hour, 15% DVD, 10% TV, and 5%  Blueray (using my PS3)

bro for gaming, i vote for LCD

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 01:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the advices.

carlo: Thanks. will wait for your comments.  If I wait for the G10 kaya? 

The more I read articles the more I get to understand the ins and outs of each TV. The more options / dilemma I get hehehehe. 

1. Should I get a Plasma 50" c10 sacrificing the FULL HD Content but getting a bigger size TV   OR
2. Should I get the smaller 42" FULL HD but sacrificing the "gaming" picture advantage   OR
3. Should I get an 42" FULL LCD (There is no 50" LCD - - anything bigger will not fit our wall )  but now sacrificing the Movie Quality that Plasma offers.   

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 02:36 AM »
Thanks guys for the advices.

carlo: Thanks. will wait for your comments.  If I wait for the G10 kaya?  

The more I read articles the more I get to understand the ins and outs of each TV. The more options / dilemma I get hehehehe.  

1. Should I get a Plasma 50" c10 sacrificing the FULL HD Content but getting a bigger size TV   OR
2. Should I get the smaller 42" FULL HD but sacrificing the "gaming" picture advantage   OR
3. Should I get an 42" FULL LCD (There is no 50" LCD - - anything bigger will not fit our wall )  but now sacrificing the Movie Quality that Plasma offers.  

Your questions are quite difficult to answer my friend, because in the end it will boil down to what is really important for you, but I'll try to answer them the best way I can...

What we want here is a T.V that will address the need for a good gaming fix with a somewhat stellar movie performance. If that's the case, then let's we read on...

I had the same dilemma last year and I solved it by simply buying a good FULL HD LCD (Samsung 40A650) and a FULL HD PLASMA (Panasonic 42PY800). Not the most economic route then, but at the very least it was able to cover both fronts of my ever pressing need to solve my problems in a fast and less than time consuming manner. If this quick and dirty method is acceptable for you, then with current prices, it won't be as bloody.  The take is to get a Panny 42PV80 or C10 for your movie fix, then get a 32 inch FULL HD LCD in the form of another Sammy (B550) or an LG (LH70) for that Xbox 360/PS3 gaming thirst, and you'll walk away happy (you may want to get rid of that R8 with this method).

Now, if it has to be one T.V, that will competently perform well across gaming and movies with very little sacrifices for both, then we may consider the following:

For Plasma...

Panasonic PY800 or the S10

Plasma's great black levels and accurate colors will shove you in the world of high defenition movies and you'll begin to realize why this particular technology is all raves around here. The FULL 1080p resolution of both panels I mentioned will cover the need for defining your games in a crisp and clear manner(still a tad below high-end LCD's). As an added bonus, plasma works really well with our current cable broadcast and is something you may also want to consider.

For LCD...

Samsung A750 or the Sony S550

You'll definitely blaze with these guys, FULL HD 1080p graphics, with that profound digital look that only LCD can give. Blu-Ray performance is also very commendable for both LCD's we've listed here, too bad your DVD player won't be just as happy as your high definition devices.

More tomorrow, time for me to rest...(Sleepy)

Hope I was able to help so far ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2009 at 03:01 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 09:00 AM »
Wow! Excellent comment Carlo - - will wait for more of your advices.   

Ok so i'm now fixed to get a 42" FULL HD TV.  No more 50" c10.   

In terms of quality? LCD or PLASMA?
How much is the Samsung A750 or the Sony S550 now in the market?   

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 09:31 AM »
With your budget, swak pa rin yata ang 46" LCD Full HD.  With the heavy gaming you've mentioned, LCD na nga.  Choose one with a really good response rate (~4ms).

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Back to the topic at hand...

The question may have been asked already, but this will help us zoom-in with a more accurate final recommendation:

After all we've read here today, is gaming still the principal use? Or has this shifted towards movies now?

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM »
Carlo:

Well now it's 50 - 50.  I go 50% gaming and another 50% for watching movies. 

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM »
when me and my boss were auditoning diff tvs, it drilled down to 42py and 46" series 6 ng sammy, we were at SnS. my boss was a die hard fan of LCD, but when he saw the warmth of plasma super gulat sya! He is a gamer, ps3, he rally had a hard time sa pagpili kasi he was blown away by PYs PQ sa BD, so we asked vic kung pwede 2 units ang dalin sa bahay ni boss ko, LCd and plasma, para matry nya sa ps3 nya, ayun, inuna itest yung PY sa ps3, color looked pale, them LCD, it looked awesome! LCd ang pinili after makita how it performed with his ps3.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM »
Carlo:

Well now it's 50 - 50.  I go 50% gaming and another 50% for watching movies. 

Then you can't go wrong with any of the T.V's we've mentioned above, it will now boil down to what kind of picture quality definition we prefer...

If we prefer, softer, more earthly, more natural looking colors that work wonders in a darker room setting then I'll swing by plasma.

Now, if we prefer, lively, more vibrant, more digital looking images, then LCD will provide you the T.V for your needs.

Feel free to ask more questions, so we can "fish hook" the specifics and give you the best advise.

;)

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #27 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 02:51 PM »
Hi Yakisoba.  Kokontra ako sa madla.   :)

Are you the PinoyXbox guy from Marikina?  If yes, trust me 1080p Bro.  1080p!  I'm one of the Xbox360 owners too.   :)   Tapos upo ka nalang ng mas malapit as you would on a 50V  ;D  

From 32V to 42V, that's 1.75x increase in screen area

From 32V to 50V, that's 2.51x increase in screen area.  Wow di ba.

For full HD 42, you can sit as near as 1.5 meters.  For 50V 720p, you'd have to stay at least 2.0 meters.   So if you sit at 1.5 meters from a 42V while gaming, e di halos pareho lang immersive experience compared to that of 50V at 2m. ;)

Mas mababa pa resolution ng C10 compared to your R81 so kung sanay na mata mo gaming on the R81,  you really have to sit farther when using C10 to approximate the same resolution as you're experiencing now.  And note that ayon sa owners, that C10 is very reflective so how can you possibly stay near that panel in the first place?   Kapag umupo ka ng malayo, would you still enjoy high def gaming the same way you do right now?

One spec you should not under-appreciate when gaming is the native resolution of the panel.

Mas maganda nga lang 50V when watching movies.

At any rate, maninibago ka pa rin because iba ang image characteristics ng plasma compared to your R81.

sir, aabot ba ang xbox360 ng 1080p? kala ko hangang 720p lang..

nwei, if i wer to choose i'd go for bigger screen pero depends din sa viewing distance. baka sobrang lapit masakit din sa mata.. hehehe

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 03:27 PM »
im here now at trinoma and im now decided to get the plasma but but it seems na i'll be gettong the py800 instead of the s10 compared them side by side mukhang maganda pa rin ying py800. What u guys think? 

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 04:25 PM »
im here now at trinoma and im now decided to get the plasma but but it seems na i'll be gettong the py800 instead of the s10 compared them side by side mukhang maganda pa rin ying py800. What u guys think? 

PY800 is a very good plasma just be aware that plasma models are affected by the green phosphor lag.

My review of the PY800:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=90446.0