Author Topic: hdmi upscaling question  (Read 1175 times)

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hdmi upscaling question
« on: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM »
The situation:

- I've a pioneer upscaling dvd player connected directly (via hdmi) to TV.
- I've a jvc 5 disc dvd player that I can't let go because it has everything (dvd-audio capable, yes i still use/want this; analog 5.1 output to name a few) BUT doesn't upscale
- I'm still using an old yamaha 7.1 for a receiver, it has everything I want except hdmi input.
In other words, I use the jvc for dvd-audio and occational movie.  the dvd upscaler and bluray laptop for more "intense" movies.

The dilemna:
I've been juggling the dvd player and blu-ray (a laptop) to watch blu-ray/dvd.  I am planning to replace my old reliable yamaha with a pioneer vsx-1019ah in order to, hopefully, solve the "juggling" inconvenience.  1 feature that I find of particular interest is "hdmi 1080p upscaling".  Am I correct in thinking that if I connect the jvc (remember SD only and not upscaling) to the vsx-1019ah (via component), the "upscaling" feature of the 1019ah will "upscale" the video to 1080p? (Assuming of course that the 1019 ah is outputted to a 1080p TV)

Sorry for the ignorance, I haven't been keeping touch with all these techs for quite a number of years and sorry mods if this is at the wrong thread. :)

Also, I am looking for a local dealer for the pioneer vsx-1019ah, meron ba?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM by jetro »

Offline sonnysin168

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: hdmi upscaling question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 03:56 PM »
Hi! I think newer amps upscale via component up to 1080p, although others will, but only up to 720p or 1080i. In my case, the Onkyo 605 upscales via component up to 720p only. If I were you I'll look for dvd or blu ray players that can upscale to 1080p via HDMI to have superior PQ (as compared to upscale via component). My Marantz DV 6001 upscales via HDMI up to 1080p. It plays DVDA and SACD quite good. The new Oppo blue ray player plays BD, SACD, DVDA but I read that it has "handshaking issue" with some components (i.e. clicks and pops during playback of some multi-channel SACD). I understand that Oppo engineers are currently working on a firmware update to resolve this problem.

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
Re: hdmi upscaling question
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 04:45 PM »

The dilemna:
I've been juggling the dvd player and blu-ray (a laptop) to watch blu-ray/dvd.  I am planning to replace my old reliable yamaha with a pioneer vsx-1019ah in order to, hopefully, solve the "juggling" inconvenience.  1 feature that I find of particular interest is "hdmi 1080p upscaling".  Am I correct in thinking that if I connect the jvc (remember SD only and not upscaling) to the vsx-1019ah (via component), the "upscaling" feature of the 1019ah will "upscale" the video to 1080p? (Assuming of course that the 1019 ah is outputted to a 1080p TV)

Also, I am looking for a local dealer for the pioneer vsx-1019ah, meron ba?

wala po yatang dealer ng vsx-1019 dito. those who have this avr got it from abroad.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx1019/pion-vsx1019

As you'd expect, the Pioneer VSX1019 features all the latest digital decoders, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Accessed via an HDMI interface with v1.3 specification sockets, all your HD sources can now have the potential to sound as they should - in glorious 7.1 surround sound. Yet it's not just your HD sources that can benefit from being plugged in to the VSX1019. Thanks to an upconvertor, any analogue sources plugged in are upscaled to 1080p and outputted via HDMI!
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS