Author Topic: Carlo J. Caparas, a National Artist?!  (Read 24872 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: Carlo J. Caparas, a National Artist?!
« Reply #120 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 12:05 PM »
By the way, there is a growing clamor to nominate a new National Artist for Literature -- Xerex Xaviera.

I can honestly say I've enjoyed his work more than Caparas'.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 12:29 PM »
how can you be proud of something nobody else agrees to? how can he look in the eyes of fellow artist with genuine sincerity when they are looking him down.

bro pag nakita mo yung tv interview niya nung Wednesday palagay ko masasagot yung tanung mo.
 ;D ;D ;)

If we are to believe Caparas -- the previous national artists are the problem because they are elitists. If you read between the lines, he is actually questioning the recognition given to the previous awardees. Sabi kasi nya, yung mga obra ng mga alagad ng sining na tumutuligsa sa kanya, makikita mo lang sa mga kolehiyo at ang mga nakakaintindi lang ay ang mga elitista at may mga mataas na pinag aralan. Hindi gaya ng mga ginawa nya na napaligaya daw ang buong masa -- ibig sabihin pang National level ang mga obra nya habang iilang tao lang ang may alam ng mga nagawa nila Bencab, F Sionil Jose, Arturo Luz, at iba pang National Artists.

Sumasakit ang ulo ko pag naaalala ko ang lahat ng mga katangahan ni Caparas. Hindi nya talaga naiintindihan ang ibig sabihin at kinakatawan ng salitang National Artist.

To paraphrase what he said to Alexis "talagang wala syang pinag-aralan."

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #122 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 01:49 PM »
I think it was Armida who argued that some of our past National Artists like Brocka and Bernal were as "pang-masa" as Caparas. Hindi lang national level yung mga yun, international pa.

Balita ko ang susunod na national artist daw ay si Lito Camo. :)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 02:21 PM »
I'm so sorry for all the National Artists of the past and the future.  Now their artistic achievements are placed in the same level as Caparas.  But I feel that some of them are overreacting.  The title isn't as important as people's appreciation of their art.  People who do appreciate their work are smart enough to know the circumstances.  Personally I think yesterday's demonstration of death was done in bad taste considering the previous day's events.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 02:45 PM »
The title is important, because we, as taxpayers, will be paying for the benefits that these "national artists" will be reaping. This isn't given the attention it deserves simply because artists are concerned, and it seems to involve only sensitive emotions, but what at stake is actually bigger, it is GMA pushing us to pay for Caparas' medical bills and allowances just because she thinks, or was influenced, to believe that the dude is worthy of the title.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 02:52 PM »
Just want to share an excerpt of the news article that appeared in PDI. Caparas clearly does not know what "National Artist" stands for --

Caparas said, “I don’t understand why people are making a big fuss about this. It’s sad that they have to resort to this tactic. It’s because it’s the first time for a National Artist to have such a long title.

“I’m not being conceited. I just want to point out the truth. The past winners are not well-known. ’Di nila mapalutang ang award na ito. Ngayon lang ulit napapag-usapan (They can’t make this award shine. It’s only now that it’s being talked about again),” he said.

Caparas said that through his work in TV, film and comics, he was able to provide employment to hundreds of Filipinos.

“I ask this question of other National Artists: Have you helped anyone in your work? I think this is not about the National Artist award anymore. It’s a personal attack on me,” he said.

Caparas singled out National Artist for Literature F. Sionil Jose, whom he described as “a mere sectoral or campus artist.”

“He writes for a school. Not everyone knows about his work. Does that mean people not familiar with the things he does should also protest his being a National Artist?” Caparas argued, adding:

“He said he walked out on my movies. But while he was walking out, millions were arriving to watch ‘The Maggie de la Riva Story.’ Who has the problem—the only one who walked out or the millions of viewers who came to watch my film?”

Caparas said “The Maggie de la Riva Story,” released in 1994, held the all-time high box office record. “The population of Metro Manila at that time was 10 million. Four million people came to watch my film. Ask the film’s producer, Viva Productions, if you think I’m lying to you.”

-----

If the height of your artistic achievement is The Maggie de la Riva Story you really should just shut the F up.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
The title is important, because we, as taxpayers, will be paying for the benefits that these "national artists" will be reaping. This isn't given the attention it deserves simply because artists are concerned, and it seems to involve only sensitive emotions, but what at stake is actually bigger, it is GMA pushing us to pay for Caparas' medical bills and allowances just because she thinks, or was influenced, to believe that the dude is worthy of the title.

idagdag mo pa yung Php 1 million a year na cash  >:(

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 03:22 PM »
OMG!! :o I didn't know they were being given 1 million cash every year. Why are we giving them this kind of money? Well that changes everything then, as money always does.

* Sorry, i don't usually watch the news.  I only started watching again after I heard news of Aquino's death. :(

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 03:35 PM »
NAKAKAPANGGALIT that F. Fionel Jose should be cited with contempt because on the gutter-sewage mind of the citer, Jose is merely a lifelong academe who also write novels on the side. Deplorable. Jose's 15 or so major novels have been translated so far in seven languages, including Russian. His sprawling epic-like work is ranked with Feodor Dostoyevsky. Jose also owns an Ermita-landmark bookshop named Solidaridad, which is the only one of its kind in the country in terms of variety and choices. Jose couldn't have find a comfortable welcome in academic/campus reading because his pervading theme on much of his literature is socio-political injustices and retribution, most of the time its disturbing and will upset ones who uphold, and ones who're fully entrenched, in the status quo.

I used to disdain Bencab because it looks like even his doodles could command top prize and collectors. A puzzle that doesn't seemed right to me, because even if I had the expendable money I would not take a Bencab in any medium. He also dances in front of television the Igorot canao ritual dance - in jeans, which is irreverent and hypocritical. Tingin ko mayabang si Bencab, and I could not appreciate at first his paintings and etchings. But after two decades, folk like me realizes Bencab could actually draw. Thats his true artistry, being able to draw. He also represented the country in an unofficial way, by doing art exhibits in London and other European cities since the 1970s, letting Westerners know our art is high-level. And for that he deserved to be cited as among our Artiste Nacional.

The contemptuous citer, on the other hand, is suspected to be a potential draftee of the usurper-President for her Senate slate, putting this komiks writer and massacre-meister as the newbie clown supplanting another Kapampangan clown who slept and skipped his way to the Senate. Such wa-es, clever gall - putting a clown to cover her putrid rectum once the retribution comes. Years ago, Levi Celerio receives a government pension as National Artist for something like P27,000 a month. Celerio lives, as I could recall best, in Camelot Hotel in the 90s. While that pension is handsome, generous, Celerio truly deserves it, not only for writing Ibong Pipit, but also for being an entry in Guiness as a lone man who could hum a melody out of a plant leaf. His living in Camelot is not also capricious because Celerio was alone. Today, a NA awardee receives P24,000 monthly pension and over a million in collected bonuses. Does this pretender who badly needs a barber job deserves to be paid that?
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2009 at 03:42 PM by ALICE GO »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 04:43 PM »

I'm so sorry for all the National Artists of the past and the future.  Now their artistic achievements are placed in the same level as Caparas.  But I feel that some of them are overreacting.  The title isn't as important as people's appreciation of their art.  People who do appreciate their work are smart enough to know the circumstances.  Personally I think yesterday's demonstration of death was done in bad taste considering the previous day's events.

If anything, we should overreact  - - -because I,for one, very much mind giving part of my money to pay for the medical bills , not to mention a yearly stipend of a million pesos for the rest of his life, of an unworthy and unqualified  "artrist" who already,allegedly  has a mansion in Ayala Alabang.

And since the chances of the award being recanted are getting moot with every day, then the nercrological service was just apt, I think.

The uproar exists for two reasons: the so-called process has never been violated this obscenely . . .and political corectness and democratic tact aside, everybody is unanimous that Carlo Caparas makes crappy, often offensive,  films and can not draw. Taste is relative,sure , but if Caparas' name was off the list, I doubt if there would be this much noise. Hell, we'd probably forgive the inclusion of Alvarez, if Caparas wasn't among the four. I'd call him the Ed Wood or Uwe Boll of the Philippines - - -but that would be insulting to them.

And he should just  quit playing the masa card. I doubt if he'll agree to write his precious "22 chapters in one sitting" if the only reward he'll get out of it is entertaining his beloved  masses free of charge. He's a hypocrite and a buffoon.

Having said that, please do more guest appearances , Mr,.Caparas,ranting about the controversy. You are a hoot and quite possibly the most entertaining thing on TV since Manoling Morato.

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2009 at 05:04 PM by X44 »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 07:32 PM »
http://www.ncca.gov.ph/about-ncca/org-awards/org-awards-national-artist-guidelines.php

3. HONORS AND PRIVILEGES

The following privileges are provided to those conferred with the Order of National Artists:

The rank and title of National Artist, as proclaimed by the President of the Philippines;
The National Artist medallion and citation;
Lifetime emolument and material and physical benefits comparable in value to those received by the highest officers of the land such as:
3.1. a cash award of One Hundred Thousand Pesos (P100,000.00), net of taxes for living awardees;

3.2. a cash award of Seventy Five Thousand Pesos (P75,000.00), net of taxes for posthumous awardees, payable to legal heir/s;

3.3 a monthly life pension, medical and hospitalization benefits;

3.4. life insurance coverage for Awardees who are still insurable;

3.5. arrangements and expenses for a state funeral;

3.6. a place of honor, in line with protocular precedence, at national state functions, and recognition at cultural events.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #131 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 11:49 PM »
For those of you who missed, someone posted the Media in Focus interview on YouTube:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqo_9VgASxY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTJNtsK0tg

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREZO9mMIs4

Carlo Caparas is obnoxious.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 01:03 AM »
Guidelines say a one-time sum of 100K, not 1M per year.  The latter sounded unrealistic; it would have invited its own round of protests no matter who the artist. (God Save Us!)

On the other hand, the Manila Bulletin says: "A national artist will receive the sum of P100,000 upon awarding, a monthly stipend of P24,000, a million-peso project grant for a year, among other benefits." (Mea Culpa)

I don't know where they got the information for the 24k monthly stipend and the 1M project grant, it's not in the published guidelines.  In any case, I assume that this "project grant" is one-time only, and that they can't just pocket the whole amount, they will have to engage in an artistic project.  Still a waste of money for the kind of work he does.  I wonder what subtitle he would use for his next movie. (God... Why Me?) ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 04:47 AM »
"Mayaman ba ako? Putik pinanggalingan ko iho." -F. Sionil Jose in response to Carlo J.'s statement that our Nat'l Artists are rich & elitst.

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 06:51 AM »
Does he even know what art really is? Was his movies really works of art? Yes was it seen by millions of Filipinos but was the work itself done with good taste that all of us could be proud of. The only reason why some of his movies was seen by lot of people because of the controversial true story behind it: rape, murder, etc, not because it was done exemplary with good taste.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2009 at 06:51 AM by GC »
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 08:24 AM »
Nobody ever remember Caparas' filmography and works except for its sensationalism and massacre value. And there are more komiks writers and illustrators worthy of the title like the late Mars Ravelo and Larry Alcala.

I was chatting with Alexis Tioseco last night......and he was right.....Carlo J. Caparas is quite a character there's no sense trying to reason.  ;D

Offline ramgos

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 08:56 AM »
Listening him defend himself makes my stomach revolt. sarap batuhan ng kamatis. So very mayabang. Even tried tio wiggle himself out by putting up the idea of a class war between the elitist and his masa daw was unacceptable.

The point is that he was nominated but was dropped from list, and was not chosen to be in the prestigious national artist line up, just meant that he is not good enough for it.

and by including his name in the list is like doing a midnight deal, since this would be the last national artist award under this administration. well, this just proves that both caparas and the administration are just in the same basket of bad eggs.

and I would also include Cecille Guidote Alvarez in that basket, by accepting the award while she is still the head of the selection committee is just plain immoral. How shameful! >:(

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #137 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:01 AM »
Mukhang nawawala na talaga ang salitang "DELICADEZA" sa ating mga Pilipino.
Kung nabahiran na ng pulitika ang parangal sayo, mas mamarapatin ko na lang na
wag tanggapin ito at sabihin na sa ibang karapatdapat na lang na nominee ibigay,
I'd rather bow out graciously. Hindi naman natin inaalis kay Mr. Caparas na may kakayahan
talaga siya, pero sa ganitong paraan naman ibibigay sa akin ang parangal, wag na lang muna.
Darating naman sigurado ang talagang ukol sa akin...

Just an opinion...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:15 AM »
This scandal incontrovertibly proves that Arroyo is not only corrupt, she also doesn't have taste.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:15 AM »
Ishmael Bernal's PAHIRAM NG ISANG UMAGA vs. Carlo J. Caparas' GOD SAVE ME! Anyone?

Offline ramgos

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:27 AM »
Mukhang nawawala na talaga ang salitang "DELICADEZA" sa ating mga Pilipino.
Kung nabahiran na ng pulitika ang parangal sayo, mas mamarapatin ko na lang na
wag tanggapin ito at sabihin na sa ibang karapatdapat na lang na nominee ibigay,
I'd rather bow out graciously. Hindi naman natin inaalis kay Mr. Caparas na may kakayahan
talaga siya, pero sa ganitong paraan naman ibibigay sa akin ang parangal, wag na lang muna.
Darating naman sigurado ang talagang ukol sa akin...

Just an opinion...

yun nga, darating kung ukol sa iyo, but caparas know that he won't get it, so he just have to force the issue by looking for a sponsor.

and his reply on air is that he is very proud to receive the award and will not return it. Kasi puhunan daw nya ang pawis at dugo and many sleepless night.

well, That is the usual reason for people who gets his "PRECIOUS" at whatever cost. di bale na yung konsensya, hiya at delicadeza. malilimutan din naman yan after a long time. basta nasa akin na yung title.  >:(

and to think that those well deserved awardee returned their medals as a protest until the name of the 4 "midnight appointees" were stricken off. still caparas keeps on attacking those previous national artist awardees. thus, making the whole process and all previous awardees' stature in question. that is, just to satisfy the poor choice of GMA. and the administration will not even lift a finger to correct it.

What a shame.  :-[

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:31 AM »
God.....save me from GMA! I want to nominate myself for the next National Artist. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2009 at 09:32 AM by keating »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #142 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 06:13 PM »
Ishmael Bernal's PAHIRAM NG ISANG UMAGA vs. Carlo J. Caparas' GOD SAVE ME! Anyone?

title pa lang e taob na yung latter.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 06:56 PM »
Take away the  stipend, medical coverage , grant and anything else from the award that passes for legal tender and let's see if Caparas doesn't calm down.

He's not after the award per se - - -well maybe he is,as validation for the critical crucifixion he got during the heyday of his massacre films (which he now calls Justice Films) , , ,but mostly it's about the money. He's a greedy ,obnoxious buffoon.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Aug 09, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
Really? He calls them Justice Films? Man's trying to be witty to show off?

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 08:24 AM »
A friend posted this in FB and my initial reaction was. Hey, I know this guy -- KOMIKERO, one of PINOYDVD originals! I quickly browsed through this 5-page thread and (i may have missed it) did not find any similar posting/s, so here it is - Panawagan kay Carlo J. Caparas. You may also want to check out his blogsite - http://gerry.alanguilan.com/

Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 08:34 AM »
Since the Arroyo regime has reduced the National Artist award to a joke and political pandering, I nominate Hayden Kho (for Visual Art) and Mikey Arroyo (for Film) for the (dis)honor.

And I wonder if the paid hacks and gossip mongers masquerading as movie writers/columnists who have been writing the praise releases even looked up "artist" in the dictionary.

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM »
yun nga, darating kung ukol sa iyo, but caparas know that he won't get it, so he just have to force the issue by looking for a sponsor.

and his reply on air is that he is very proud to receive the award and will not return it. Kasi puhunan daw nya ang pawis at dugo and many sleepless night.

well, That is the usual reason for people who gets his "PRECIOUS" at whatever cost. di bale na yung konsensya, hiya at delicadeza. malilimutan din naman yan after a long time. basta nasa akin na yung title.  >:(

and to think that those well deserved awardee returned their medals as a protest until the name of the 4 "midnight appointees" were stricken off. still caparas keeps on attacking those previous national artist awardees. thus, making the whole process and all previous awardees' stature in question. that is, just to satisfy the poor choice of GMA. and the administration will not even lift a finger to correct it.

What a shame.  :-[

watched him over ANC and the guy is not only obnoxious. he's stoopid! totally missed the whole point. even several times that Cheche Lazaro told him it's not him but it's the process, he kept on justifying his award.

GMA talaga, oo. parang mga gremlins! dumarami na sila, buset!
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 02:54 PM »
   watched him over ANC and the guy is not only obnoxious. he's stoopid! totally missed the whole point. even several times that Cheche Lazaro told him it's not him but it's the process, he kept on justifying his award.

Yeah, he was trying to get public sympathy. Natawa ako nung pinakita pa nya yung "artworks" nya, marunong naman daw sya gumuhit. ;D By doing so, he looked pathetic and he did not justify the award but proved that he was desperately clinging to it like a tuko.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009 at 02:59 PM by GC »
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 03:23 PM »
this is utterly ridiculous....Caparas as national artists??

I wont be surprised if GMA nominate or even proclaim Willie 'wowowee' Revillame as national hero then...

napakagarapal talaga nitong si GMA......