Author Topic: Carlo J. Caparas, a National Artist?!  (Read 24895 times)

Offline garyMD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Carlo J. Caparas, a National Artist?!
« Reply #90 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 06:55 PM »
let's just comfort ourselves with the thought that it is a fake award because it was given by a fake president.

small consolation indeed. and sino pa ba magsasama sama? hay, buhay natin dito sa Pilinas, oo.  ::)
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #91 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 08:20 PM »
Watching ANC's Media in Focus as they talk about this controversy. Jose Dalisay, Alexis Tioseco and Carlo Caparas are guests. It's quite entertaining especially since Caparas is defending his inclusion. He said that he deserves to be National Artist for Visual Arts and Film because, get this, he knows how to draw.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 09:14 PM »
That's the perfect title for a Caparas autobiography.

Hahaha indie boi I fell from the couch after I got your text! Unfortunately I have VIZCONDE MASSACRE.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 at 09:15 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 09:30 PM »
Pwede na din yang vizconde pre. Pahiram na lang. Although I still want to watch Tirad Pass.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 09:55 PM »
Watching ANC's Media in Focus as they talk about this controversy. Jose Dalisay, Alexis Tioseco and Carlo Caparas are guests. It's quite entertaining especially since Caparas is defending his inclusion. He said that he deserves to be National Artist for Visual Arts and Film because, get this, he knows how to draw.

Kelan replay nito?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:08 PM »
Malamang around midnight pre.

Offline hilikus_kiko

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm breaking the first rule of Fight Club.
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:21 PM »
CJC...what a jabronie!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #97 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:26 PM »
I really enjoyed the discussion. Emily Abrera could barely contain the outrage in her voice. And Butch - at least he finally got to vent after having to endure Caparas during the first part of the show. Can't exactly remember what he said but it was something like "Isa, sige pagbigyan... si Ramos... Erap... pero apat?! Tapos nagtanggal pa ng isa sa lista namin?! Tama na. Sobra na."
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:27 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:39 PM »
My only source of frustration was that Dalisay and Alexis had to share the panel with Caparas. They were too PC to really hit Caparas where it hurts. Alexis tried his best to soften the blow -- but he shouldn't have since Caparas was not pulling any punches (sinabihan pa nya si Alexis ng "talagang bata ka pa). Alexis should've put it plainly -- Caparas' body of work does not deserve recognition.

Caparas, on the other hand, didn't do anything to salvage his reputation. He just appeared arrogant, clueless and an imbecile. I couldn't contain my laughter when Alexis said that Caparas shouldn't have been named National Artist for Visual Arts because he is not an illustrator but a writer. Caparas whipped out photos of his "artworks" and said that he deserves it because he also knows how to draw. What an idiot.

Oh, and get this. He said he deserves the National Artist award because his works -- comics and movies -- were shown and distributed on a national level.

Again, an idiot.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 10:56 PM »
OT: Are any of the public affairs shows that discuss the important issues of the day still exist in both ABS and GMA (the shows that air after the late night news programs)? Haven't been watching local channels in such a long time.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 11:15 PM »
Yeah I was kind of hoping Caparas would be more reasonable considering the circumstances. Unfortunately, his boorish behavior only confirmed my suspicion that the award had been promised to him.

Re public affairs shows, I'm curious as well.

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 11:35 PM »
CAPARAS tried to show he's also an artist by bringing along several sheets of paneled and splashed-type artworks. But ANC did not zoomed in for that. In the end, the supposed artworks looked afar as little more than Larry Alcala's "Slice Of Life" cartoon outings. What does it show? Nothing because he still won't qualify as a visual artist, for the reason that those artworks were not published as a printed commodity. Caparas' abrasive guesting on the show simply shows that the gutter (pusale, to you who's idiomatically-challenged) remains a gutter even if fumigated by liters of eau di'toilette, patronage of a staggering 4 million who went to see your film (tumaob talaga ang takilya!), and the knighting by a President - no less - as a National Artist. In the end, Mssrs. Dalisay and the young film critic were somehow stymied - and swallowed to a dismaying extent - by the hoodlum sa kanto brashness of the farce Artiste Nacionale. By this, Arroyo has yet created again an unimaginably tremendous number of enemies in her usurped tenure, not just critics. Caparas, sana naghilamos ka man lang bago ka nag-guest sa TV!

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:32 AM »
heard over DZMM National Artist Isagani, forogt his surname. he really was so candid about his violent reaction over Caparas and Alvarez winning the award.

not getting personal about it but because they did not went throught the normal screening/selection process.

and it's GMA's fault. according to him, binababoy lang yung award. and if that's the case, tigilan na lang ang pagbibigay ng award.

GMA talaga, oo. buset!!
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #103 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 01:10 PM »
Wow, Alex and Butch vs. Caparas? Wish I saw that.

Zafra's article's pretty good. I like to think my ending's better, but I don't have that 'kiss-kiss' aside--watched it alone, didn't have anyone point that out to me (I was a lot more innocent then).

Torre's actually good in the Delia Maga Massacre, as Delia's husband. The rest--I wrote about it, but I can't find the article anymore. Too bad.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 10:30 PM »
And still they defend "presidential prerogative".

It apparently got ugly this afternoon. There was screaming, there was name-calling, and there were calls for dialogue because "anyone can be honored as an artist".

This government is full of artists - con artists.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:44 PM »
My only source of frustration was that Dalisay and Alexis had to share the panel with Caparas. They were too PC to really hit Caparas where it hurts. Alexis tried his best to soften the blow -- but he shouldn't have since Caparas was not pulling any punches (sinabihan pa nya si Alexis ng "talagang bata ka pa). Alexis should've put it plainly -- Caparas' body of work does not deserve recognition.

I didn't watch the show but the way you described the guests who are supposed to grill Caparas did appear a bit lame. They should have guested the likes of Armida Siguion Reyna and Winnie Monsod (assuming they share the same sentiments as ours) and he would never see the light of day. Where are they when you need them? The panel also should have included an actual National Artist awardee who could give Caparas a tutorial on visual arts and make him realize that "pare HINDI ka namin ka-level!"

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #106 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 04:47 AM »
I don't know, I imagine the intention was a debate, not a catfight. ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 05:34 AM »
I felt for Alexis. He was trying to elevate the level of discussion but Caparas just wanted to bring it to the gutter. Some national artist.

I found it surreal and hilarious at the same time when the news showed Caparas bringing with him a group of "supporters" -- some of the supporters looked like stuntmen and they all brought the same colored cartolina with handwritten signs that were obviously written by the same person. I'm thinking Caparas also wrote the signs to really show those snobs that he really deserves to be national artist for visual arts.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:00 AM »
Butch Dalisay said that with all of this brouhaha, delicadeza should come into play, and that it should come from "the receiver of the boon." He was, of course, referring to Caparas and Alvarez. He said that if the artist truly deserves it then refuse the award and let it ripen because in due time it will be given to them anyway.

Alvarez and Caparas' insistence shows that they're afraid that they likely won't get this award if they refuse it now.

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:13 AM »
Knowing that he didn't even pass the 1st level of screening, I bet caparas will hold on to the award like dear life.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:17 AM »
By the way, there is a growing clamor to nominate a new National Artist for Literature -- Xerex Xaviera.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:29 AM »
By the way, there is a growing clamor to nominate a new National Artist for Literature -- Xerex Xaviera.

Nice one, indie.  ;D

Come to think of it, Xerex had more readers statistically than those who watched Caparas' films.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:34 AM »
Kung numbers lang then we should also nominate Hayden Kho as National Artist for Short Film.  :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 06:50 AM »
Oo nga no?  ;D

And his shorts united the country's male population into a common pastime. Talk about influence. Yan and pang-National Artist!  ;D And he didn't even have to kiss GMA's ass---if given a chance, I don't think it he'd fall for it anyway.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 07:11 AM »
Dami pa nyan pre. Sabi nung iba si Vicky Belo daw National Artist for Sculpture. Bayani Fernando naman National Artist for Painting dahil daw dun sa MMDA Art. :)

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 09:18 AM »
Hopefully, hindi ko siya makasalubong sa Alabang Town Center or nearby malls.  Mahirap magpigil. Baka maduraan ko sa muka  ;D ;D ;D
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
Bro, sabi mo malaki property nya sa Ayala Alabang. Having read the reviews for Tirad Pass and how it was obviously made on the cheap despite a big multi-million peso grant, it makes me wonder if that budget was funneled into his personal properties.

Offline AICRAG

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 09:35 AM »
bro am not sure kung gaano "kalaki" yung house niya sa Alabang.  Saw some glimpses on the inside (house)when it was featured on a show some years back.  ;) If someone can pm me his exact location(street etc), may be I can check it out and send you some pics.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Am sure pag nasa mall areas siya sa Alabang, he'll wear a bigger smile than usual.  (as if to say "hey batiin niyo ako at magbigay pugay"   ;D ;D ;D ;D)

basta tuwing nakikita ko siya (before this fiasco AWARD) dati, naiisip ko eh "ang swerte naman nitong taong to.  ano kaya source of income niya?"    ;D ;D ;D
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 10:14 AM »
kung ako kay Carlo Caparas ...... isoli nalang niya .....

how can you be proud of something nobody else agrees to? how can he look in the eyes of fellow artist with genuine sincerity when they are looking him down.

Hindi naman aangal ang awarding body kung ginawa yung within protocol. Presidential prerogative nga coz it is a Presidential Award naman ..... pero, again, hindi aangal yung recommending body kung it was done above board.

So san ba nagkamali si mam? supposedly dapat binalik niya yung list with her addition for further review and recommendation ng body?

Tama yung isang nag comment sa AM radio ..... pano si Larry Alcala?? pano si Mars Ravelo? bakit sila wala?

Offline AICRAG

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 10:23 AM »

how can you be proud of something nobody else agrees to? how can he look in the eyes of fellow artist with genuine sincerity when they are looking him down.

bro pag nakita mo yung tv interview niya nung Wednesday palagay ko masasagot yung tanung mo.
 ;D ;D ;)