Author Topic: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer  (Read 407334 times)

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer
« Reply #1650 on: Mar 22, 2012 at 06:53 PM »
iboum.com ranks xtreamer sidewinder 3 second in its rating....see this link....http://www.iboum.com/pr/xtsid3.php....does this mean it would be a good buy?

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1651 on: Mar 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM »
clarification guys, ( sidewinder/mk1 user )

1. mk1 does not support DTS-HDMA ryt? if yes, but when i play mkv file w/ DTS HDMA, my ONKYO display DTS HDMA. FALSE ba un s display ng ONKYO ko?

2. meron bang youtube  apps ? and what are the other web services u like?

3. w/c xtreamer product can decode HD audio?

4. OT: significant po ba ang difference ng DTS vs DTS HDMA?

TIA.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1652 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 05:18 AM »
I just bought an xtreamer sidewinder 3. Can I secure a folder containing movies with a password so that I can't be opened by children?

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1653 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM »
Saan ka naka bili? How much? TIA

I just bought an xtreamer sidewinder 3. Can I secure a folder containing movies with a password so that I can't be opened by children?

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1654 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 02:46 PM »
Dito ako sa Cebu, maraming PC stores sa SM Cebu ang nag-bebenta ng sidewinder 3....5,950 ang pagkabili ko...so far so good, satisfied ako...yung latest firmware nila is good...

Offline pyeponce

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1655 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM »
also got the sidewinder 3 yesterday from SNS, 5.8k cash. added 1k for wifi dongle, so far so good. wirelessly streaming 720p material from our xtreamer pro from the other room, no prob naman. already updated to firmware 3.5 as well.

so far, enjoying the airplay feature - streaming youtube hd videos from my ipod touch with no problems! :)

Offline palomerah

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1656 on: Apr 17, 2012 at 08:54 PM »
Bought my first Media PLayer today. Sidewinder 3. P5,600 (5,400 pag cash) at Dynamic Virra Mall. Kapa muna, hehe.

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1657 on: Apr 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM »
SW3 owner, musta after upgrade to 3.5?
.......worth it ba upgrade from SW MK1 to 3?
........and un DTS HDMA working ba?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1658 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 02:00 AM »
my brother requested me to setup his new sidewinder 3 yesterday as he was not a techie, and Xtreamers really need someone techie to optimize the features ... i find the new features as a big leap to the first gen that I owned

anyway, I was not able to explore that much as I had to turnover the unit to my brother after the firmware upgrade, video setup, and network setup ... if you're a techie it's quite easy to configure, if not, i recommend to find someone who can

main purpose of writing this is not really the review on the new features, but just to provide some tips and caution on the configuration and firmware upgrade.

Setting up the Screen Size: One thing we noticed when running browser and Android apps on the default settings was that the screen is too large and does not fit the screen - it's the same thing when playing movies but was not easily noticeable.  This can be configured on the "System Configuration>Screen Size".  There's a rectangle in dotted lines and the +/- sign assigned for the arrow keys to increase or decrease the screen.  When I tried using it several times, nothing seemed to change as the rectangle size was not changing even if you press + or -.  After several attempts, I found out that there's another rectangle which by default is way over the screen size and you have to press the minus sign for a while before you see it appearing in the screen.  So be patient to press the minus sign for both horizontal and vertical adjustments before the rectangle representing the screen size appears.

Upgrading the Firmware to version 3.5: Make sure to use a USB drive with 2GB capacity or less, and make sure that you have enough free space on the USB drive when performing the firmware upgrade.  On my first attempt to upgrade, I used a 1 GB USB drive with several other files on the drive besides the new firmware.  There was an error displayed that there's not enough space midway to the upgrade, but the status bar continued to increment until it became full.  The upgrade complete message that I was expecting did not appear however, and the screen hanged-up on that status.  After 30 minutes I pulled the plug and tried to boot the system - the system would just then display the Xtreamer logo and would not proceed to boot.  I thought that I already bricked the system, and no more remedy but to replace.

After some reading, I found out that the new firmware is first created on the USB drive before being placed on the Xtreamer, hence the requirement for free space.  Knowing this, what I did next is to use an 8GB USB drive and tried to perform an emergency firmware install - this was not successful even after several attempts as it appears that the xtreamer was not reading the disk.  After a few more research, I saw a recommendation not to use USB drives higher than 2GB.  Next step I did was to free-up space on my 1GB USB drive and tried the emergency firmware install - this was successful.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1659 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM »
@raptor,

Am just asking whether Xtreamer have fixed the file system check issue (HDD corruption) in their firmware for any of their previous and current models? What we have is the Xtreamer PRO and seems that it is still not yet fixed in any of their latest firmwares. Reason why am not purchasing any Xtreamer units anymore.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1660 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 07:02 PM »
@raptor,

Am just asking whether Xtreamer have fixed the file system check issue (HDD corruption) in their firmware for any of their previous and current models? What we have is the Xtreamer PRO and seems that it is still not yet fixed in any of their latest firmwares. Reason why am not purchasing any Xtreamer units anymore.

The Sidewinder 3 that I setup is not mine, so I cannot really say much about it, but I own a first gen Xtreamer and ETrayz and have never experienced HDD corruption.  I've been using those for more than 2 years.  The issue could be with your hardware, probably your HDD and not even on the Xtreamer. 

File system check or fsc is a standard utility of Linux and Unix system that would run during start-up if there's file integrity issue or HDD hardware issue.  It's similar to Windows disk check if you have file corruption - e.g. system not properly shutdown.

I always update the firmware of both my Xtreamer first gen and ETrayz and have never experienced file corruption.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1661 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 07:49 PM »
Sorry, but am using 2 x 2TB WD Green (EARS) HDD inside the Xtreamer PRO. Chances of both HDD causing the problem as compared to 1 unit Xtreamer PRO is remote. I doubt it is the HDD hardware that is causing the problem. Xtreamer admin in their forum acknowledged the possible HDD corruption problem, so I doubt it is in the other hardware.

The thing is, for an ordinary user (like other members of the family), its slowness in powering up and shutting down would definitely lead to HDD corruption one time or the other. And w/o its built-in file system check, you know what happens. For many years using my Gen 1 other brand NMT, never even once encountered such kind of HDD corruption problem. Even w/ hang-ups needing to abruptly pull the power cord on a few occasions. This can only mean one thing, that the fault is in the said NMT. The said file system check feature should be built-in. As hang-ups in NMTs is a common occurrence (if not due to immature firmware, sometimes on various media sources itself).

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1662 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 09:48 PM »
Sorry, but am using 2 x 2TB WD Green (EARS) HDD inside the Xtreamer PRO. Chances of both HDD causing the problem as compared to 1 unit Xtreamer PRO is remote. I doubt it is the HDD hardware that is causing the problem. Xtreamer admin in their forum acknowledged the possible HDD corruption problem, so I doubt it is in the other hardware.

The thing is, for an ordinary user (like other members of the family), its slowness in powering up and shutting down would definitely lead to HDD corruption one time or the other. And w/o its built-in file system check, you know what happens. For many years using my Gen 1 other brand NMT, never even once encountered such kind of HDD corruption problem. Even w/ hang-ups needing to abruptly pull the power cord on a few occasions. This can only mean one thing, that the fault is in the said NMT. The said file system check feature should be built-in. As hang-ups in NMTs is a common occurrence (if not due to immature firmware, sometimes on various media sources itself).

The hardware of the Xtreamer Pro is almost similar to the Etrayz.  My Etrayz have 2x1.5TB HDD and using it with my first gen Xtreamer and TVIX M6500 NMT.  I haven't encounterd any issues with it since day 1.  The first batches of 2TB disks from both Seagate and WD had issues that needed firmware update.  Have you tried updating the firmware of your HDD's and/or reformatting?

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1663 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM »
Maybe the problem is with internal HDDs attached to Xtreamer PRO. Maybe the case is not applicable for an externally attached HDD (w/ enclosure).

Looking at WD Green WD20EARS HDD related cases, I don't really see any firmware update from their web site. What I saw is a utility for changing the park/unpark cycles timing. Maybe you are referring to the park/unpark/load cycle issue for these WD20EARS. It might not even be related to this model. The concern here is the life expectancy of the HDD. This might not even cause the file system check problem when using on Xtreamer PRO. I doubt that the said HDD is still writing something to the disk while in "park"/or "unpark" sequence and the power is abruptly turned off. As file system check is usually caused by incomplete writing sequence onto a block/sector or index. That's what I think.

When these WD20EARS are new, did follow the right way of formatting these drives as per WD instruction. So I doubt formatting is the problem here.

Offline aparmand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1664 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM »
any owners or someone who had auditioned the xtreamer prodigy? need your feedback im torn between xtreamer prodigy vs. asus o play  ;)

Offline instigator

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1665 on: May 21, 2012 at 01:20 PM »
Hi xtreamer users!  Sidewinder 3 owner here.  I have backread this post a few pages back and I haven't found any info about the wifi antenna option.  Pardon me if this was already asked:

Can the Xtreamer Sidewinder 3 recognize generic usb wifi dongles? Let's say as cheap as from CD-r king?  I hope this is possible because I don't want to spend extra money on the original one if it works fine with a 3rd party.  I have tried using a samsung wifi antenna dongle and it doesn't seem to recognize it.  Although I'm assuming samsung has unique drivers setup for their devices.  I also learned from the web that the Xtreamer USB Wifi Antenna is compatible with Popcorn units.  I'm just hoping compatibility from other antennas will be ok the other way around.

Thanks!

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1666 on: May 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM »
Bumigay yung Ixtreamer ko yesterday after more than a year. It still turns on and the logo still comes out then wala na...unit is still turned on but nothing comes out. I'm not sure if the sudden surge electricity nung kumulog/kidlat yesterday affected it.

Bought it from Villman. I'm not sure if meron pa supplier warranty. Where can I have it fixed?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1667 on: May 23, 2012 at 01:41 AM »
I purchased this keyboard in Amazon, works perfectly with Xtreamer 3 -

very handy, illuminated, rechargeable battery, fast response, touchpad, and bonus laser pointer

more detailed specs on this URL - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C71L5Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1668 on: May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM »
I purchased this keyboard in Amazon, works perfectly with Xtreamer 3 -

very handy, illuminated, rechargeable battery, fast response, touchpad, and bonus laser pointer

more detailed specs on this URL - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C71L5Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

got one too, pero dito ko lang sa atin binila. ginagamit ko rin siya sa Prodigy ko.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1669 on: May 23, 2012 at 02:54 PM »
Bros any feedback on the new budget Xtreamer Elvira? thanks!

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1670 on: May 23, 2012 at 03:55 PM »
Bros any feedback on the new budget Xtreamer Elvira? thanks!

i bought 1 for my officemate, ayun enjoy na enjoy siya. wala pa naman daw sya encounter na problem. lahat daw movie nya na play nya.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1671 on: May 30, 2012 at 06:52 PM »
Hi xtreamer users!  Sidewinder 3 owner here.  I have backread this post a few pages back and I haven't found any info about the wifi antenna option.  Pardon me if this was already asked:

Can the Xtreamer Sidewinder 3 recognize generic usb wifi dongles? Let's say as cheap as from CD-r king?  I hope this is possible because I don't want to spend extra money on the original one if it works fine with a 3rd party.  I have tried using a samsung wifi antenna dongle and it doesn't seem to recognize it.  Although I'm assuming samsung has unique drivers setup for their devices.  I also learned from the web that the Xtreamer USB Wifi Antenna is compatible with Popcorn units.  I'm just hoping compatibility from other antennas will be ok the other way around.

Thanks!

Confirm, you can use a CD-R King wifi dongle. I use one for my SW3...But I do not know if it could last long. My dongle was actually purchased 1 year ago for my desktop...so generic dongles are working...

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1672 on: May 31, 2012 at 01:25 AM »

Confirm, you can use a CD-R King wifi dongle. I use one for my SW3...But I do not know if it could last long. My dongle was actually purchased 1 year ago for my desktop...so generic dongles are working...

if it's not that much of inconvenience, it would be best to have the Xtreamer or any other NMT to be wired ... WiFi is not good for streaming HD movies ... and if you use wired connection, gives you an extra USB port to connect another disk or wireless keyboard for conveniently accessing the Internet and other applications

Offline tobits

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1673 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 06:03 AM »
Bro any suggestion bakit may sound no video ang xtreamer ko... at di rin maka update ng firmware ???

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1674 on: Jun 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM »
Bro any suggestion bakit may sound no video ang xtreamer ko... at di rin maka update ng firmware ???

is it a new setup? how is it connected to your TV and AVR (if you're using one)?

Offline tobits

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1675 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 03:40 PM »
Bro dati na, but when i have new HDD some movie files ay walang picture but may sound... my connection is Xtreamer via HDMI to AVR ( Onkyo ) then to plasma TV, sound connection: Optical cable from Xtreamer to AVR.. :)

Thanks 

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #1676 on: Jun 30, 2012 at 04:29 AM »
Bro dati na, but when i have new HDD some movie files ay walang picture but may sound... my connection is Xtreamer via HDMI to AVR ( Onkyo ) then to plasma TV, sound connection: Optical cable from Xtreamer to AVR.. :)

Thanks 

Looks like the files which gives you issues (no video/with audio) have header compression enabled - MKV's muxed with fairly recent mkvmerge versions.

1.) You can simply remux all your files with issues, using older mkvmerge versions (I use mkvmerge 3.0) ...... remuxing will remove header compression and you should have no more issues playing your files.

2.) You can upgrade your NMT's firmware ..... upgrade to one which already supports mkv header compression.

Offline tobits

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1677 on: Jul 04, 2012 at 07:38 AM »
Looks like the files which gives you issues (no video/with audio) have header compression enabled - MKV's muxed with fairly recent mkvmerge versions.

1.) You can simply remux all your files with issues, using older mkvmerge versions (I use mkvmerge 3.0) ...... remuxing will remove header compression and you should have no more issues playing your files.

2.) You can upgrade your NMT's firmware ..... upgrade to one which already supports mkv header compression.

Thanks bro... try ko sa weekend

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1678 on: Jul 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM »
question mga sir:

can xtreamer sidewinder mk1 can play 3D downloaded contents? can a firmware upgrade handles that? or need a hardware upgrade na to Sidewinder 3?

thanks!
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1679 on: Jul 16, 2012 at 03:05 AM »
question mga sir:

can xtreamer sidewinder mk1 can play 3D downloaded contents? can a firmware upgrade handles that? or need a hardware upgrade na to Sidewinder 3?

thanks!

you need to change the hardware