Author Topic: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer  (Read 406776 times)

Offline jt68255

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer
« Reply #720 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 09:06 AM »
I am currently watching my HD movies using my xtreamer via 120 gb WD external hard drive.  Now, I use mkvmerge gui to split 4 gb .mkvs + HD movies so that they can be loaded to my external HD.  So far no issues with that.  But when I split 8 GB + plus movies like 300 and patton thata's where the problem started, specifically with video and audio sync.  The 1st leg of the file  plays well and is synced fine, but when it goes to the 2nd part, thats when the audio and video gets out of sync!

Any advise please?  Is there a better program that I can use to split .mkvs?  or Is there a way to transfer the full 8 gb movie to my external HD?

Many Thanks!!!!

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #721 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 09:49 AM »
Is there a way to transfer the full 8 gb movie to my external HD?

Reformat your hard drive to NTFS because the file-size limit on FAT32 is (2^32)-1 bytes, or one byte less than a full 4GB.

Offline jt68255

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #722 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Only the External HD or even the PC hard drive also?

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #723 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 01:47 PM »
have you tried using a Thumdrive instead of a harddisk? it detects the drive, shows the files pero after selecting the file nothing happens. ???
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #724 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 02:13 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Only the External HD or even the PC hard drive also?

I assume that the PC hard drive stores the 8Gb file, so only the external HD.

Offline vinlovski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #725 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 09:03 AM »
Hey guys just found a blog regarding updates on the movie jukebox for our xtreamer media players...

[UPDATE] Movie Jukebox

Hey folks! It’s been a while since I wrote the last blog entry so I should start with nothing less than a feature, which almost everyone is longing for. Admins and some Global Moderators had a meeting today and we had been given the chance to get a peek on the progress of the so much anticipated movie jukebox.

First of all: Geeez… they have been REALLY working on it!!! What they’ve shown to us, gave me a feeling of satisfaction, relief and a lot of hope at once for the upcoming weeks until firmware v3 will be released. It encouraged me to believe that the wait will be worth and that they are still on the right track, showing us, that they DO listen to community feedback. Okay, enough of the apple-polishing :) If you know me then you know that I belong to those guys pushing this jukebox thingy because I really want it, g.. damn it :)

As you may have guessed, the details are still confidential and we can’t give you specific details because the work is still in progress so even we (GMs) don’t know how it will look in the end. They presented a movie jukebox concept to us. Not on paper, not on images, no… it was a video capture of an actual Xtreamer running this new jukebox. One thing I can tell for sure: the way you are used to navigate through your Xtreamer GUI will change… it won’t be the reinvention of the wheel but I like the changes quite much.

Still remember that Let’s talk about a Movie Jukebox thread? Cover wall, search, indexing… it’s there, right in that concept demo video. Xtreamer team…give it the final polish and make it look pretty and fancy and stuff with all your passion put into its design and functionality. Only then, we, the community will stop nagging!

[thx for reading - mavvy]

after reading this blog..i cant wait for the release of the firmware where they will include the movie jukebox update..pretty excited to see what it looks like..well, lets just wait and see..cheers! :D

Offline vinlovski

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Xtreamer Media Player Movie Jukebox Updates!!
« Reply #726 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 09:05 AM »
Hey guys just found a blog regarding updates on the movie jukebox for our xtreamer media players...

[UPDATE] Movie Jukebox

Hey folks! It’s been a while since I wrote the last blog entry so I should start with nothing less than a feature, which almost everyone is longing for. Admins and some Global Moderators had a meeting today and we had been given the chance to get a peek on the progress of the so much anticipated movie jukebox.

First of all: Geeez… they have been REALLY working on it!!! What they’ve shown to us, gave me a feeling of satisfaction, relief and a lot of hope at once for the upcoming weeks until firmware v3 will be released. It encouraged me to believe that the wait will be worth and that they are still on the right track, showing us, that they DO listen to community feedback. Okay, enough of the apple-polishing :) If you know me then you know that I belong to those guys pushing this jukebox thingy because I really want it, g.. damn it :)

As you may have guessed, the details are still confidential and we can’t give you specific details because the work is still in progress so even we (GMs) don’t know how it will look in the end. They presented a movie jukebox concept to us. Not on paper, not on images, no… it was a video capture of an actual Xtreamer running this new jukebox. One thing I can tell for sure: the way you are used to navigate through your Xtreamer GUI will change… it won’t be the reinvention of the wheel but I like the changes quite much.

Still remember that Let’s talk about a Movie Jukebox thread? Cover wall, search, indexing… it’s there, right in that concept demo video. Xtreamer team…give it the final polish and make it look pretty and fancy and stuff with all your passion put into its design and functionality. Only then, we, the community will stop nagging!

[thx for reading - mavvy]

after reading this blog..i cant wait for the release of the firmware where they will include the movie jukebox update..pretty excited to see what it looks like..well, lets just wait and see..cheers! :D

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Xtreamer Media Player Movie Jukebox Updates!!
« Reply #727 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM »
Nothing excites me about xtreamer anymore...  ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Xtreamer Media Player Movie Jukebox Updates!!
« Reply #728 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM »
Read this from the Xtreamer forum last week. I'm still waiting for the actual features to be released. I hope all the wait is worthwhile. In the meantime, my Xtreamer is just "playing away" HD movies. Another movie marathon is in the offing this weekend.  ;D

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM »
The Sidewinder passive cooling accessory for the Xtreamer is out - http://www.xtreamer.net/accessories/sidewinder.aspx

http://shop.xtreamer.net/products/Xtreamer-Passive-Cooling-MOD-Kit-%252d-Sidewinder-Cooler.html

Parang mini-radiator ang istura.  ;D It will probably make the Xtreamer thicker by a cm or so at the sides.

Shipping on Feb-7. Any idea how much it would cost when it reaches our shores? Price is 20Euros (P1300++).
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM by apple_seed »

Offline fernando_montalban

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 01:25 PM »
I have read conflicting reviews regarding video streaming of HD videos from a PC through wireless. One review even said it failed miserably. Can someone enlighten me regarding this?

One of the key features I really need, and probably the most important one, is the wireless streaming of HD videos through our network. Ethernet cable is not an option. Our setup is all computers connected (with Wireless-N dongles) to a 300Mbps Wireless N Router (TPLINK TL-WR941ND). Would this be enough for a smooth wireless 1080p video playback on the xtreamer?  ???

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 03:49 PM »
@fernando,

I haven't tried streaming of HD videos via wireless, but from my hunting the perfect Media player / streamer. I have not read or seen a media player/streamer that plays HD material via wireless perfectly. As 1080p differs from quality/bitrate/audio (hence the conflicting reviews that you've read as theye would have different testing materials), it would be hard to say or find a media player/streamer that will suit your need (it will also depend on how will you connect, NFS/SAMBA, etc). @ 720p, Xtreamer will be fine via wireless.

But if you really need the wireless streaming, you might want to take a look at this.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/20/gefentv-wireless-for-hdmi-slings-1080p-over-60ghz-airwaves/

On a side note.
It seems that the Xtreamer's official forum has been very quiet after the 2.1.3 FW update.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 at 03:53 PM by macmel »
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #732 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 04:15 PM »

On a side note.
It seems that the Xtreamer's official forum has been very quiet after the 2.1.3 FW update.

It's probably because of the disappointments of many...  ???
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline fernando_montalban

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 05:38 PM »
@macmel

:( aw... I was hoping that it would be able to play 1080p flawlessly. Then again, with wireless, it is a case to case basis as connectivity will depend on environment. A little bit of thinking on my part if I I'll buy one or not. Thanks for the input.

Wireless HDMI is very expensive and won't work in my case.  ;D The xtreamer will be beside the router connected via a short ethernet cable. And the xtreamer outputs to TV via wireless HDMI. The router is not line of sight to the TV/Family room and consequently the xtreamer as well. I won't be able to use the remote to control the xtreamer.

@all
Anyone able to stream 1080p videos with their xtreamers well enough?
Appreciate the inputs.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 06:54 PM »
@all
Anyone able to stream 1080p videos with their xtreamers well enough?
Appreciate the inputs.

Fernando I'd give a 1TB HDD full of 1080ps to anyone who can actually prove that this works well enough.  That's how confident I am that it doesn't work (yet).

Lay the LAN wires for the time being, or buy a lot docks, or if you really insist on wireless streaming, stick with 720p contents.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 at 06:56 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #735 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 07:05 PM »
Is this a challenge?

Ha ha ha ha!

I can get it to work PERO;

xtreamer gets it content (1080p) via AD-HOC mode meaning walang kahati yung wifi network.

Once you allow even a iphone or other 802.11G devices on the same wifi lan, bagsak na performance because the way Wifi works is you are only as fast as the slowest device connecting to it.

In my own setup I still have 802.11G devices connecting to the wifi so hindi reliable ang streaming. A wired setup gives you predictability and peace of mind :)

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 01:01 AM »
It's probably because of the disappointments of many...  ???

I think you are right, I for one was disappointed in their forum as they delete post without any notice (mine was deleted), not really sure why??

For now, I just look if there are firmware updates and doesn't even look at the forums. Don't get me wrong, I Love my Xtreamer, it's just how they communicate :(
MaCMeL

Offline keeper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #737 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 01:38 AM »
It's probably because of the disappointments of many...  ???

especially HD Audio passthrough! i mean its not so much that you get to hear the difference in the aural part of the movie. its just that it was admittedly one deciding factor why some of the guys here chose the Xtreamer over the other Realtek or Sigma based NMTs. let's face it we always want whats new, technologically. the Xtreamer gave such promise...its a bit frustrating that up to now, it hasn't been incorporated into the FW updates, which for the time being, is stuck at 2.1.3....

but in fairness to Xtreamer, it does pretty well handling the 1080p files with high bitrates...  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010 at 01:38 AM by keeper »
ONKYO606.WHARF 10.6,9CM,9DFS,PSW125.TOSH HDA35,XDE500,PCHA200, PANA AX200

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 01:58 AM »
Fernando I'd give a 1TB HDD full of 1080ps to anyone who can actually prove that this works well enough.  That's how confident I am that it doesn't work (yet).

Lay the LAN wires for the time being, or buy a lot docks, or if you really insist on wireless streaming, stick with 720p contents.

People posting on international forums have had success streaming 1080p via wifi using the 5ghz band wifi N

look for richie at ehome for a demo on 1080p streaming via wifi  8)

Re Xtreamer, anyone encounter problems transferring multiple mkvs to the internal drive? i had my brother's xtreamer replaced bec transferring a 4gb file took around 20min. This got solved when the unit got replaced. Now, I couldn't transfer multiple files without getting write failure. I'm using a brand new 320gb WD scorpio internal drive.WD sc
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010 at 02:10 AM by Beefy »

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 02:23 AM »
Depends...

I get flickering on the following conditions.

- 1080p
- content located on NFS server
- NAS/SMB application ON the xtreamer

This pretty much loads up the xtreamer's processing to the limit so I normally turn of the applications if I want it flicker free :)

What NAs are you using? I have no problems streaming 1080p mkvs showing up to 22mb/sec video and 1.5mb/sec audio on my dns 323 and up to 30mb/sec m2ts from my pc
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010 at 03:54 AM by Beefy »

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 06:49 AM »
I have read conflicting reviews regarding video streaming of HD videos from a PC through wireless. One review even said it failed miserably. Can someone enlighten me regarding this?

One of the key features I really need, and probably the most important one, is the wireless streaming of HD videos through our network. Ethernet cable is not an option. Our setup is all computers connected (with Wireless-N dongles) to a 300Mbps Wireless N Router (TPLINK TL-WR941ND). Would this be enough for a smooth wireless 1080p video playback on the xtreamer?  ???

No manufacturer can provide reliable and consistent 1080p streaming capability in a real-world environment at this time (real world, meaning with walls, other obstructions, interference from mobile phones, microwaves, other devices on the network that compete for bandwidth, etc.). So unless you can replicate showroom conditions, you might be in for a disappointment.  If 1080p streaming is really supported, media player manufacturers would be jumping up and down trumpeting this capability - but the reality is that none of the responsible manufacturers are claiming that their devices do anything more that 720p wireless streaming.  You can indeed stream 720p material, but your operating environment will influence the performance of your network.

Take note that heavy network traffic from other users will degrade the data transfer rate of your videos - possibly leading to choppy playback.

Hardwired Ethernet is best, though it often involves some sacrifice to lay it.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010 at 06:57 AM by Bitstream »

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #741 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 07:15 AM »
I think you are right, I for one was disappointed in their forum as they delete post without any notice (mine was deleted), not really sure why??

For now, I just look if there are firmware updates and doesn't even look at the forums. Don't get me wrong, I Love my Xtreamer, it's just how they communicate :(

Sorry to learn about your missing post.  Does this happen often?

Was there anything in the nature of your post that could have made the topic moderator delete or move it elsewhere (ex. posted in the wrong section, rant, etc.)?  If content is a non-issue and the missing post is not a regularly occurring phenomenon, maybe it could have been deleted by accident. Don't be afraid to speak up if you have an issue with the way the forum is being administered.  Let the forum admins know.

Most of the forum moderators are volunteers who don't work for MVIX. While the facilities to host the forum have been provided by the manufacturer, the moderators have a certain amount of freedom (and varying personal styles) in how they administer their respective sections.  As with the majority of public forums where multiple moderators are the order of the day, you will encounter many pleasant and helpful mods - but you'll inevitably come across others who can be downright rude know-it-alls who leave a bad taste in your mouth.

The same goes for forum members and visitors... you really get all kinds.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
From Xtreamer Admin
« Reply #742 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 07:26 AM »
Most of you will probably agree that Xtreamer has pumped out firmware updates faster and more consistently than most manufacturers. Don't worry that they've abandoned further developments!

From XtreamerAdmin (posted in the Official Xtreamer Forum on Jan 13, 2010)

We would like to clarify something for those of you who do not follow our forum closely and might worry that we have abandoned our product development.

1. Xtreamer

As you know our player is based on a Realtek chipset and quite recently they released a new SDK. What does that mean for the Xtreamer project? Well, it will be a major step in the Xtreamer media player development. You will see new bug fixes and new features.
Hopefully this blog entry will give you a little idea what to expect - http://forum.xtreamer.net/blog.php/?p=318

As I said this is a major update and the development will take several weeks.
There will also be beta releases.

2. e-TRAYz

We are planning to release a beta of the new eTRAYz firmware in a few days. If the beta-testers won't find any major red flags you will see the new version next week.

Thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010 at 08:58 AM by Bitstream »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #743 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM »
What NAs are you using? I have no problems streaming 1080p mkvs showing up to 22mb/sec video and 1.5mb/sec audio on my dns 323 and up to 30mb/sec m2ts from my pc

I'm using an old PCH-A100 for the NFS.

I think I can make a better one but I have to balance my needs from wants. I don't have any PCs running in my house for 24 hours a day for the reason that they load up on my electricity bill. Before my electric bills were in the 5 digit range but after I decided to tackle it, I was able to bring it down to half by;

Offline hoc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM »
Hi,

Just bought the xtreamer media player today, with a 1.5 TB external storage. Thanong ko lang, what is the proper way of turning off xtreamer to avoid damaging the hard drive? Sa PC kasi di ba may proper shutdown process..is it the same with these NMTs?

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 01:58 PM »
Sorry to learn about your missing post.  Does this happen often?

Was there anything in the nature of your post that could have made the topic moderator delete or move it elsewhere (ex. posted in the wrong section, rant, etc.)?  If content is a non-issue and the missing post is not a regularly occurring phenomenon, maybe it could have been deleted by accident. Don't be afraid to speak up if you have an issue with the way the forum is being administered.  Let the forum admins know.

Most of the forum moderators are volunteers who don't work for MVIX. While the facilities to host the forum have been provided by the manufacturer, the moderators have a certain amount of freedom (and varying personal styles) in how they administer their respective sections.  As with the majority of public forums where multiple moderators are the order of the day, you will encounter many pleasant and helpful mods - but you'll inevitably come across others who can be downright rude know-it-alls who leave a bad taste in your mouth.

The same goes for forum members and visitors... you really get all kinds.

I don't recall anything offensive in my post. A lot of people got banned that day, and maybe the mod just didn't have a nice day ;). I don't really know what's up with that day, and as my post was deleted, I won't be able to prove that it wasn't anything to be deleted.
MaCMeL

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 03:44 PM »
Hi,

Just bought the xtreamer media player today, with a 1.5 TB external storage. Thanong ko lang, what is the proper way of turning off xtreamer to avoid damaging the hard drive? Sa PC kasi di ba may proper shutdown process..is it the same with these NMTs?

Just turn the Xtreamer off anytime - as long as you aren't in the middle of writing to your external drive.

Turning off the power in the middle of the write process can result in a damaged file - but a modern hard drive will not sustain any physical damage.

If your Xtreamer is being accessed by other PC's on the network, make sure all users are made aware that you're going to shut it down so that they can wind down their activities and avoid damaging their files.

Offline hoc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 05:36 PM »
Thanks BitStream!

I have another question - I started "digitizing" my existing DVDs using ISO format, and xteamer plays most of them with no problem.

For my original concert dvds though, while I was able to convert them to ISO without any problem, the xteamer couldnt play them properly - audio and video playback was very slow and jittery. The common thing among them was that these files were about 5 to 7 GB each.

Do I need to convert to another format other than ISO? What would be the best format to convert to for best quality?

Online iPhat

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #748 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 07:23 PM »
Guys how to enable external subtitles like .srt? My xtreamer doesn't recognizes .srt files.
Thanks.
"keep your friends close but your enemies closer"

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 07:36 PM »
Guys how to enable external subtitles like .srt? My xtreamer doesn't recognizes .srt files.
Thanks.

Can you post the file name of the movie that you are playing and also the file name of the subtitle file?
MaCMeL