Author Topic: Lexicon Accused of Selling Repackaged Oppo BDP-83 at a $3000 Markup  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

The Lexicon BD-30 is a $3,500 Blu-ray player, but some disassembly reveals that it may be nothing more than an Oppo BDP-83 with a shiny new case.

The front panel may say Lexicon, but it’s got Oppo guts. Those familiar with the much beloved Oppo BDP-83 may notice that the back panel of the Lexicon BD-30 uses the exact same layout. The buttons on the front panel are in the same configuration as well.

It’s not entirely uncommon for players to look the same, but the good folks over at Audioholics opened the units up side by side and took a look. The two players are almost completely identical. In fact, the only real difference found was in the color of the caps on the power supply board.

Looking at the base of the BD-30, you can see vent holes that were cut out to make room for the vents of the BDP-83. From what it looks like, Lexicon took a BDP-83, put it in a Lexicon chassis and sold it. The going price of a BDP-83 is around $500, but the BD-30 runs $3,500.

The BD-30 is THX certified, but benchmarks reveal the same crossovers, frequency response and distortion amounts as the non THX certified BDP-83. THX has responded to questions of the legitimacy by stating that the BD-30 was thoroughly tested. Strangely though, you’ll no longer find reference to THX anywhere on Lexicon’s page.

Home Theater Review has a different take on the player, stating that “there is no comparison between the build quality of the two players,” and that “the Lexicon had a more natural contrast and color palette than the Oppo.” It was also noted that Lexicon’s player was much quieter than the BDP-83 when loading discs.

This is a development sure to raise a lot of questions, not only for Lexicon, but for Oppo and THX as well. We expect to hear more in the coming weeks.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM by barrister »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Well, OEM arrangements are not uncommon, but it makes you think twice about getting a Lexicon. Also it makes the Oppo an even more attractive bargain.  ;D

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Wow, thanks for the info. Makes me glad I bought an Oppo DVD player—if ever I'm in the market for a dedicated BD player I'll probably seriously consider just going with Oppo once again.

I mean, sure, OEM arrangements are not uncommon—just look at the Panasonic LX3 and the Leica D-lux 4. In that regard, though, I'm perfectly happy with my cheaper LX3—never mind if the D-lux 4 yields slightly better images at over twice the price!
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM by alistair »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
The Lexicon BD-30 is a $3,500 Blu-ray player, but some disassembly reveals that it may be nothing more than an Oppo BDP-83 with a shiny new case.

It was also noted that Lexicon’s player was much quieter than the BDP-83 when loading discs.
$3000 for a new fascia and some transport dampening... those sure are expensive tweaks!
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Why am I not surprised?

This is not the first, there are some high end brands of amps that also repackaged and rebranded mass-consumer grade gears with just cosmetic enhancements notably a heavier chassis.   I recall a Mark Levinson amp that was lock stock and barrel a rebranded Pioneer with heavier chasis.  But that was many years ago.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
mabuksan nga ang h/k amp ko baka sakura ang laman. wait... ang jbl ko baka daiichi!  :o
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
kung ako lexicon, baka di ko na sila bigyan ng review unit

Kaya lang, I think most reviewers do often open up the innards of the the equipment they review, so Lexicon should have expected that ....

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
Does that mean my BDP83SE is worth $6K with Lexicon chassis? lolz.....
Format neutral

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
mabuksan nga ang h/k amp ko baka sakura ang laman. wait... ang jbl ko baka daiichi!  :o

I am pretty sure that there are many entry level to mid end speaker brands uses daiichi drivers.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
It looks like the practice is prevalent in the industry when OEM sell the same thing to different brands.  Take the case of the China made generic Blu ray player Funai M110.

I doubt if anyone here will buy an unheard of brand.  But according to a poster at Steve Hoffmam's music forum, it's the same banana as...

The Onkyo BD 606

Denon BD800

Philips BDP 7200

But at least the price difference is not as huge as what the Oppo and the Lexicon has.  In fact, if Lexicon had priced it even just $500 more to account for the better quality of the housing, perhaps there won't be much of an issue.  There are others, even Sony uses OEMs from brands as well/  Just when you thought Sony would be making its own BD players, its first BD players were from an OEM also used by Pioneer. The  Sony BDP-S1 identical to the Pioneer BDP-HD1. Here are few other rebadging done for high end players:

(1)  the $6,000 Goldmund DVD player is actually a $200 Pioneer but with improvement like using a toroidal power transformer and better power filtering, in addtion to a heavier build.
(2) the $5,000 Wadia WT3200 Cd player is a dressed up $260 Philips CD960 cd players.
(3)  the $5,000 Theta Data Digital transport is a $400 PHILIPS CDV 400 with a reclocked SP/DIF circuit board and heavier casing.

In the world of consumer electronics, using the technologies of OEM can mean a lot of profits for the brands. You won't have to pay for the licenses as the OEM will take care of that and amortizes the cost across a larger manufactured base catering to more brands than if a single brand itself made it. Not bad business.  Just so the buyer knows. So Buyer beware.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
I guess that tells us that pricing is just partly component cost, and a huge part of it is based on perceived value. A prestigious brand and nice aesthetics definitely go a long way in boosting a product's market value. Obviously from a technical aspect, it seems illogical to just trust a brand-name when buying a product (though most good companies do try hard not to release a bad product).

It may also be because Lexicon deemed this OEM design good enough for their product line, but they did not want to cheapen the brand by offering something inexpensive.

If Vacheron Constantin made a cheap plastic watch, would you expect it to cost just as much as a Swatch? Generally, high end brands/products are low volume goods. As with any low volume good, markups can be huge.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010 at 01:17 PM by Stagea »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Market ignorance can be very lucrative to opportunists who prey on perceptions and gullibility.  Especially in an unregulated industry like home entertainment.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010 at 06:09 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Does that mean my BDP83SE is worth $6K with Lexicon chassis? lolz.....

Hanap ka na lang ng sirang lexicon then kunin mo chassis nya.  ;D

Wag ka nang magtaka. Even Dai-chi is selling their excess speakers sub-contracted from CV etc.

$3000 for a new fascia and some transport dampening... those sure are expensive tweaks!

Very! Unfortunately, may mga buyers na hindi na nag-research sa gamit na binibili nila. Madalas pa nga, hindi na sila nag-audition ng ibang brands. They just buy the product na may trust sila.

Market ignorance can be very lucrative to opportunists who prey on perceptions and gullibility.  Especially in an unregulated industry like home entertainment.

So so true. And unfortunately, wala and there will never be a legislation or batas na magbawal or if not, magregulate ng ganitong practice. It's no different from the generics law sa gamot.

Online at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
Mostly are manufactured in China already, it's just the branding, marketing & advertising scheme that's most known companies are spending more rather than to spend it in the internal parts w/c is the most vital part. In simplified terms they're just after the profits  :-\

I remember before a friend of mine has a Krell Home Theater series amp & when they open it up the board was just Made in our Country. No offense to our craftmanship but w/ a pricetag of such a high end amp you always expect it to be Made in the USA  8)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
kung ako lexicon, baka di ko na sila bigyan ng review unit

if this would happen, alot of people would have "?" on their heads... and if lexicon would be wise enough, di nila dapat gawin yun unless talagang may tinatago sila... malaki na rin ang scope ng audience ng Audioholics.com, masisira lang sila lalo...

and if this would happen, lexicon would simply be a profit based company where in they're in the business for profit and not to satisfy customers... something to think about before making any purchase from a company like this.
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline ricworks

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

grabeng mark-up. pero bumaba na lexicon ngayon ;D

http://www.digitalcraze.com/Dvd-Players/Lexicon-340/Lexicon-Bd30?

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010 at 05:53 PM by ricworks »

Online at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229

grabeng mark-up. pero bumaba na lexicon ngayon ;D

http://www.digitalcraze.com/Dvd-Players/Lexicon-340/Lexicon-Bd30?

w/ this kind of looks & w/ a magnificent brandname, consumers in the higher level would surely not hesistate to bring one home to their theater dens & just not knowing they are actually ripped off w/ the internal parts & mechanism. tsk tsk tsk, This is really bad. LEXICON should slash the prices by half or more   >:(
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Amazing! A true case of let the buyer, beware...