Author Topic: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC  (Read 230687 times)

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC
« Reply #390 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM »
I just tried using KMP to find out if anything would actually be displayed.  And for half-SBS 3D, there were 2 images displayed simultaneously and in perfect sync, with pleasantly smooth rendition, although the monitor was literally divided into 2 equal areas.  Hehehe.

For full-SBS 3D, my current hardware is hopeless.

I haven't installed the 3D plug-in for TMT3.

TMT3 with 3D will combine the 2 images into 1  when you turn on the 3D SBS mode.

Can KMP play 2 mkv files at the same time for left/right full SBS? I've used Nvidia 3D vision player and Stereoscopic player and the Nvidia version would need the 3D kit but it would play video that stutters because my CPU isn't powerful enough. Stereoscopic can use Anaglyph mode but I don't why but the program would hang after 10 seconds when using left/right mode it's ok for half SBS files.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #391 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM »
Can KMP play 2 mkv files at the same time for left/right full SBS? I've used Nvidia 3D vision player and Stereoscopic player and the Nvidia version would need the 3D kit but it would play video that stutters because my CPU isn't powerful enough. Stereoscopic can use Anaglyph mode but I don't why but the program would hang after 10 seconds when using left/right mode it's ok for half SBS files.

The half-SBS 3Ds I tried on the KMP are single mkv files encoded by Eureka.  He also has full-SBS 3Ds na single mkv files in addition to Left-And-Right encodes having 2 ts or mkv files.  It seems Eureka is also trying to experiment how best to encode 3Ds at the moment - or trying to accommodate the whims of different people who are interested in 3D - especially those who cannot meet his hardware requirements for smooth playback.  But based on feedback by people who have tried Eureka's half-SBS on 3DTV, it's pretty good quality in terms of 3D rendering with not so stiff hardware requirements.  In fact, those owning Samsung 3DTVs dont need a separate 3D player at all.  Hopefully, Eureka will have the time to release both half-SBS and his preferred full-SBS for all 3D titles.   Then there is a Swedish guy who encodes in full SBS but somehow got the settings just right to be more forgiving than Eurekas.   Eureka is saying his works are not internal-encoder-quality (by his standards) even though the bitrates are pretty high, but people are loving their reliable playability.  You'd get to test some of those Swemux in Feb.   ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 08:07 PM »
The half-SBS 3Ds I tried on the KMP are single mkv files encoded by Eureka.  He also has full-SBS 3Ds na single mkv files in addition to Left-And-Right encodes having 2 ts or mkv files.  It seems Eureka is also trying to experiment how best to encode 3Ds at the moment - or trying to accommodate the whims of different people who are interested in 3D - especially those who cannot meet his hardware requirements for smooth playback.  But based on feedback by people who have tried Eureka's half-SBS on 3DTV, it's pretty good quality in terms of 3D rendering with not so stiff hardware requirements.  In fact, those owning Samsung 3DTVs dont need a separate 3D player at all.  Hopefully, Eureka will have the time to release both half-SBS and his preferred full-SBS for all 3D titles.   Then there is a Swedish guy who encodes in full SBS but somehow got the settings just right to be more forgiving than Eurekas.   Eureka is saying his works are not internal-encoder-quality (by his standards) even though the bitrates are pretty high, but people are loving their reliable playability.  You'd get to test some of those Swemux in Feb.   ;)

What happens when you play these single full SBS files by Eureka and Swemux in Kmplayer? Is the CPU utilization at 100%? Thanks.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 08:53 AM »
What happens when you play these single full SBS files by Eureka and Swemux in Kmplayer? Is the CPU utilization at 100%? Thanks.

All Swemux encodes have 2 files thus cant be played simultaneously using the KMP.  Eureka is the more playful one experimenting with single and double files.  Many are complaining about the playability of single full SBS 3Ds for 3840x1080 reasons...Hehehe.  Swemux takes out the HD audio to make the encodes even lighter, but based on feedback, really works well on stereoscopic player even with mid class hardware.

CPU utilization on my C2D fluctuates between 60-100% when I tried to play single full SBS files.  Output is blank; time counter is dead - or appeared to be trying to move in vain because the PC never hangs even if I leave it trying to display any form or image for minutes.  Single half sbs is light as a feather for a C2D.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #394 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
Happy New Year! I'm planning to convert my PC to an HTPC set-up. right now the specs of my PC is this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
2.00GB RAM
ATI Radion HD3850 (w/ DVI-out) @ 512MB
160GB HDD + 1TB External HDD
Samsung Super Writemaster DVD-ROM
running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Since I'm a noob regarding HTPCs, what hardware do I need to replace in my current specs and what type/model/brand should I replace it with. Also, ano magandang video card with HDMI-out ang puwede kong ipalit para makapag-output to 1080P, 5.1-7.1 Surround Sound (DTS-HD, etc.), also preferably with Optical-out (Toslink). Will also be using this a little for gaming.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #395 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 09:48 PM »
Happy New Year! I'm planning to convert my PC to an HTPC set-up. right now the specs of my PC is this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
2.00GB RAM
ATI Radion HD3850 (w/ DVI-out) @ 512MB
160GB HDD + 1TB External HDD
Samsung Super Writemaster DVD-ROM
running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Since I'm a noob regarding HTPCs, what hardware do I need to replace in my current specs and what type/model/brand should I replace it with. Also, ano magandang video card with HDMI-out ang puwede kong ipalit para makapag-output to 1080P, 5.1-7.1 Surround Sound (DTS-HD, etc.), also preferably with Optical-out (Toslink). Will also be using this a little for gaming.
you cannot output HD audio via toslink. 
start with getting a receiver with HDMI and can bitstream HD audio.
then replace your VGA that is capable of outputting hd audio.
for gaming, what type of games are planning to play?
most of the time i usually recommend buying a separate rig for gaming.
ninjababez online ..

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 11:30 PM »
thanks for the reply sir. right now i'm only playing Civ5 and sometime in the future DiabloIII and maybe SC2. I don't want to buy a separate rig since di naman na ako masyado naglalaro ng PC games.

sir, can you please recommend a good Video Card for an HTPC set-up and an idea about the price? i'm actually planning to get the Onkyo HT-S3300 from sir Vic.

do i also need to buy a sound card for HD Audio? or meron na video cards with HD Audio out?
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011 at 11:33 PM by leomarley »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 01:15 AM »
thanks for the reply sir. right now i'm only playing Civ5 and sometime in the future DiabloIII and maybe SC2. I don't want to buy a separate rig since di naman na ako masyado naglalaro ng PC games.

sir, can you please recommend a good Video Card for an HTPC set-up and an idea about the price? i'm actually planning to get the Onkyo HT-S3300 from sir Vic.

do i also need to buy a sound card for HD Audio? or meron na video cards with HD Audio out?
the games you mentioned, should run decently on a mid - high end cards.
get the ones that usually costs around 10-12k.  just make sure they are HD audio capable.

i was gonna suggest the HD 5770 series from ati, but you when mentioned gaming it is really up to what you can afford the most.  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 at 04:19 AM by ninjababez® »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #398 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 03:57 AM »

If you get a video board / 3d accelerator outfitted with a fairly recent chip from ATI/AMD or Nvidia, then the HDMI out should be able to pass HD audio to your receiver. Some receivers won't accept the signal if you don't use a standard resolution (1080 / 720), however.

If this meets your need, then you no longer have to invest in a dedicated audio board.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 at 03:58 AM by Stagea »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 09:09 AM »
ok, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #400 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 01:54 AM »
guys i want to upgrade my video card...

im on 9800gt right now playing most games in highest settings.. its been working great on my 1080i lcd tv... my problem is i plan to upgrade my tv to 1080p... upgrade from 1 megapixel to 2megapixel.. kaya... mahihirapan video card ko playing games on high settings....

im planning to go ati... dahil matipid daw sila sa kuryente specially on idle... kaya im either on 6850 or 6870? im open to suggestions naman... nung una kasali gtx460 sa choices ko.. kayalang.. matakaw daw ito sa kuryente specially on idle...

remember im building not a pure gaming machine but mostly an htpc.. so important sakin ang matipid sa idle since pag nagplplay ng movie ay halos idle lang naman ang video card sa ganun.

another thing... maliit lang po htpc case ko.. sagad na sa dulo ng case ang 9800gt ko.. so i can not get anything longer than a 9800gt.... are there new video cards shorter than my 9800gt?
thanks

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 02:30 AM »

Hi Leomarley!  PXbox?

Your current HD3850 is more than capable for high def video via DVI - that can be set higher than 1080p  (I have a 3870 and 4850) assuming your monitor can support such settings.  Your system would even be more reliable and easier to configure if you simply purchase a discrete soundcard with HD audio decoding - and perhaps sound even better? - the Xonar looks like a pretty mean sound card for instance.   The cheapest basic Xonar series is about Yen12,800 or about $150 - probably cheaper in Singapore or HK.   But you need a spare PCI-E slot of course.

Check these out:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SPZfqXDJvadmFPoh
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wIxyLFT9vTWHLHk8

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 06:28 AM »
yup from PXB sir Clondalkin. tagal mo na din di nabisita dun ah. hehehe. thanks for the input sir. will try to look for a sound card first with HD audio i think i still have a spare slot in my computer for this. :D

Offline popejerico

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #403 on: Jan 06, 2011 at 10:06 AM »
Guys I have an Nvidia 3D Vision Setup (3d vision goggles kit, Acer H5360 and a GTX 460 1gb OC ed)

Eto problem ko... yung hdmi cable ko yung mesh type na mura? 10meters binili ko for 1Kphp (10M) pero lately, nagkakaproblema pag naka 3d vision mode ako... nagkakaroon ng parang grounding ata yun sa screen tapos nagfliflicker din yung screen. So gusto ko napalitan. May alam ba kayo na mura, mahaba at pwedeng gamitin sa 3dvsion na hdmi cable?

Nagtataka lang ako bat nagkaganoon kasi gumagamit din naman ako ng chipipay na hdmi cable. I don't think din naman kaialngan ng 1.4 ver ng HDMI cable kasi yung mga nagamit ko na hdmi cables ok naman. Nakakapaglaro ako and nakakanood ng 3D gamit yung mga ver 1.3 hdmi na yun. Yun nga lang maikli lang sila tig 1-3meters lang.

Also, I'm using PowerDVD 10 ultra mark2, nagtataka lang ako bat pagnaka on yung subs ko sa ibang movie eh nagjejerk yung video? Naexperience nyo na ba ito?

TIA

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 05:13 PM »
currently using 3 hdds, on board video
1 IDE 40gb for OS
2 Sata HDD (1TBX2) for data
can a HEC Winpower+ 550W accomodate another sata HDD?

planning to add another 1.5TB, kaya lang kabado ako to try  :-[
been experiencing downtime lately with my pc, ngayun lang ulit stable after several reformats  :'(
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline -lee-

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #405 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 12:45 PM »
ano po ok na setting ng xmbc tsaka catalyst control center? my vcard is ati hd4650, 6gb mem, i5 processor.. tv po is sony 40bx400..

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM »
guys pwede na ba for HTPC or may suggestion pa kayo?
specs-
amd x2 2.9hz or amd x3 3ghz
asus M4A785D-m pro
corsair 2g ddr3
2gig hitachi HDD

damage-
12,000php
need specs that can play 1080p perfectly with the least money i can dispense.
thanks!specialy to xrampage
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM »
guys pwede na ba for HTPC or may suggestion pa kayo?
specs-
amd x2 2.9hz or amd x3 3ghz
asus M4A785D-m pro
corsair 2g ddr3
2gig hitachi HDD

damage-
12,000php
need specs that can play 1080p perfectly with the least money i can dispense.
thanks!specialy to xrampage

Upgrade the motherboard to something 880G based, so that you'd get UVD and HD audio. :)

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 01:12 PM »
thanks for quick response sir stagea.
can you please be specific with the brand and model sir?
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #409 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 02:02 PM »
Guys, need your suggestions. I just sold my 9600gt 1gb and planning to downgrade coz hindi na ko maggegames...
Ano bang basic video card ang maganda for HD 1080p movies?

Maraming salamat  ;)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #410 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
Guys, need your suggestions. I just sold my 9600gt 1gb and planning to downgrade coz hindi na ko maggegames...
Ano bang basic video card ang maganda for HD 1080p movies?

Maraming salamat  ;)

I just got the HD5450, and it seems to be sufficient.  I will stress test this weekend though.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,131779.0.html

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 03:25 PM »
thanks for quick response sir stagea.
can you please be specific with the brand and model sir?

Something like the following:
Asus M4A88T-M
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 06:11 AM »
^
thanks master's
il look into that..
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 08:49 AM »
I just got the HD5450, and it seems to be sufficient.  I will stress test this weekend though.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,131779.0.html

keep us posted bro pao!  :)
me and nerveblocker are planning to get a discrete vga for our HTPC din  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM »
keep us posted bro pao!  :)
me and nerveblocker are planning to get a discrete vga for our HTPC din  ;D

I will.  Pero problema ko is pag-setup uli nang codecs ko.  I tried playing a DTS track MKV kanina, pero PCM ang lumalabas sa AVR ko.  I'm using KMPlayer, and I have CoreAVC Pro v2.0.  For digital audio, I have AC3Filter.

Any ideas how DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD can be passed out of the HTPC to the AVR?  Baka kasi I'm using the wrong codecs eh.  I used to be ok with these software tweaks, pero now I'm finding that I don't have much patience anymore (kasi kailangan pa magresearch).  Tumatanda na talaga ako.   :P

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM »
I will.  Pero problema ko is pag-setup uli nang codecs ko.  I tried playing a DTS track MKV kanina, pero PCM ang lumalabas sa AVR ko.  I'm using KMPlayer, and I have CoreAVC Pro v2.0.  For digital audio, I have AC3Filter.

Any ideas how DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD can be passed out of the HTPC to the AVR?  Baka kasi I'm using the wrong codecs eh.  I used to be ok with these software tweaks, pero now I'm finding that I don't have much patience anymore (kasi kailangan pa magresearch).  Tumatanda na talaga ako.   :P

Can KMP and/or AC3Filter pass through HD audio via HDMI in the first place?  I havent tried so I dont know.  Legacy DD and DTS should not be a problem with AC3Filter.   I suggest that you try TMT3 instead, or any software player na meron HD Audio Logo. I'm positive there are HD-Audio configuration options within TMT3 settings.  I don't recall the KMP having that kind of configuration option but perhaps invoking an external audio decoder may help.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM »
Can KMP and/or AC3Filter pass through HD audio via HDMI in the first place?  I havent tried so I dont know.  Legacy DD and DTS should not be a problem with AC3Filter.   I suggest that you try TMT3 instead, or any software player na meron HD Audio Logo. I'm positive there are HD-Audio configuration options within TMT3 settings.  I don't recall the KMP having that kind of configuration option but perhaps invoking an external audio decoder may help.

Thanks Alan.  I'll capture my KMP/AC3Filter settings and post them here, in case continue to encounter problems.  I'll also look into TMT3.  I've not tried TotalMedia Theater before.

These are the HTPC complexities which drive non-techies and impatient users back to the NMT route...

Offline -lee-

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #417 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM »
I will.  Pero problema ko is pag-setup uli nang codecs ko.  I tried playing a DTS track MKV kanina, pero PCM ang lumalabas sa AVR ko.  I'm using KMPlayer, and I have CoreAVC Pro v2.0.  For digital audio, I have AC3Filter.

Any ideas how DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD can be passed out of the HTPC to the AVR?  Baka kasi I'm using the wrong codecs eh.  I used to be ok with these software tweaks, pero now I'm finding that I don't have much patience anymore (kasi kailangan pa magresearch).  Tumatanda na talaga ako.   :P

lpcm din po lumalabas sa avr ko when using vlc or mpc player.. pero pag xbmc gamit ko, dts or dd lumalabas sa avr. i know that my card could only passthrough lpcm, pero bakit dts or dd lumalabas pag xbmc gamit ko? baka mero lang din tweak dapat sa vlc or mpc para lumabas din dd or dts... patulong po mga masters..
btw, my vcard is 4650 and sony ht-ss370 avr

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #418 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 07:52 AM »
lpcm din po lumalabas sa avr ko when using vlc or mpc player.. pero pag xbmc gamit ko, dts or dd lumalabas sa avr. i know that my card could only passthrough lpcm, pero bakit dts or dd lumalabas pag xbmc gamit ko? baka mero lang din tweak dapat sa vlc or mpc para lumabas din dd or dts... patulong po mga masters..
btw, my vcard is 4650 and sony ht-ss370 avr

Question lang po.  How is the 5.1 sound quality of DD/DTS as compared to LPCM?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
Thanks Alan.  I'll capture my KMP/AC3Filter settings and post them here, in case continue to encounter problems.  I'll also look into TMT3.  I've not tried TotalMedia Theater before.

These are the HTPC complexities which drive non-techies and impatient users back to the NMT route...
Bro pao i was using powerdvd or is it cyberlink (pareho lang yata :D ), when i was outputting DTS MA for my Bluray ISO
hth
kmplayer did not play it at all (for some reason, i dont know  :-[ )
ninjababez online ..