Author Topic: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC  (Read 230986 times)

Offline klpangan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC
« Reply #540 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 01:44 AM »
Experience tells me I need 3 very good software players to handle all kinds of contents.   These are what I use.

1.  KM Player - most extensive in terms of tweaks and varying looks and absolutely most convenient for subtitle re-sync (a must for my queen).

2.  MPC - Arguably the best looking default PQ when using good codecs (latest version of FFDshow for instance).  Clearly more efficient than KMP when handling very high bit rate 1080p contents. 

3.  PowerDVD7 for HD DVD or DVD playback only.  It will also play BD if I have one.

For non high def contents, WMP has very good PQ and SQ.   Subtitle is a little bit complicated though.  If you need subtitle, use KMP or MPC instead.

For SQ, just make sure to download and install AC3Filter so that your software player will be able to decode multi-channel audio properly.  For KMP, you dont have to set anything but for MPC, you have to configure it properly.

Codec installation is very simple. Just download and install the latest FFDshow or CCCP (whichever you prefer).  No need to change any settings, unless you are curious and would want to play around.  Para malinis, install the codecs last (that is, after you install the software players).

bossing... may bago na bang update dito?? or are you still using this software for windows 7??

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #541 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 07:02 AM »
For those into HTPCs, AMD's HD 7700 series is out, and the 7750 comes in passive-cooled variants.

The HD 7700 line inherits the capability of the HD 7900 series to drive 4k displays, which is a boon for those who want this feature (of course, the HD 7900 series would probably be better if you'd do a lot of real-time video post processing at that resolution).

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2012 at 07:02 AM by Stagea »

Offline chocovim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 08:49 AM »
i have a newbie question.   anyone here knows how i can connect my sdtv to my old laptop that only has vga out and my sdtv only has video in (rca).

many thanks!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM »
i have a newbie question.   anyone here knows how i can connect my sdtv to my old laptop that only has vga out and my sdtv only has video in (rca).

many thanks!

Pwede po gumamit ng VGA to TV converter box.

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 218
« Reply #544 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 09:39 AM »

My videocard(an MSI HD5450) has conked out on me again. I had left the pc on for several days since I was downloading something and when I switch on the monitor there was no problem at first. after a few minutes of use it suddenly hanged. When I switched off the pc and restarted it, it refused to show a display in the monitor although the computer itself was working.

I waited for a while but the display in the monitor still failed to show. Guessing it was the videocard, I removed it and connected the monitor directly to the built-in vga out of the mobo. The display showed without any hitches this time.

This is the 2nd time that my videocard has died out on me. The first time was with a similar HD5450(but a differenct brand, a HIS HD5450). The display suddenly wouldn't show correctly. It would only show a teared/distorted image. So I removed the VC to checked if it was the problem and true enough the VC was the culprit.

I don't know whether it's my computer and habits of use that are wrong(leaving it on for long periods to download,frequently changing desktops thru ati ccc so that I can watch in my plasma) but I'm tired of frequently changing videocards. My first vc was only used for about 3 months. I attributed that to the brand(HIS, a brand I only saw when I was looking for a cheap VC with an hdmi out as well as dvi and vga.) My 2nd VC(my current one, a MIS HD5450 which I have now removed from my pc) was only used for less than a year.

My question is, will it better for me to buy another dedicated htpc(I have seen some prebuilt htpc's in the marketplace) for viewing and music listening instead of buying another videocard which has the probability of an early death due to the way I utilize my pc as a torrent downloader and an htpc? I could then use my existing pc purely as a torrent rig and for normal computer use while the htpc will be used for what its name suggests. Or are there more durable videocard brands out there that I can buy so that I can simply buy a replacement VC and continue with my merry ways? Offhand I can see the 2nd option(buying a replacement VC) as cheaper, however there is always the fear that it will go the way of its predecessors.

I am also thinking of simply buying an nmt but I am sure I would miss the flexibility of a pc.

update on my post: Thankfully my videocard functioned normally as if nothing had happened when I inserted it again. Hay buti na lang para walang gastos. Tuloy ang ligaya.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM by bongkadi »

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM »
Hindi kaya PCIE board problem bro?
ALA EH!!

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM »
di nga alam. Hopefully ok pa 'to ng matagal para wala munang gastos ng matagal. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM »
Medyo hardcore PC user until around April 2010 but now I rely mostly on the A200/A210 for playback while my PC is mainly a torrent rig and secondary HT set-up. Tapos last May 2011, naging full BD capable na ang A200/A210 so hindi ko na ginamit ang PowerDVD and TMT3 for full BD playback.  Didnt miss a thing about the PC although I am hoping to find a replacement for its 4850 videocard dahil maingay ang fan - and sayang din kuryente on the 4850 dahil mainly torrent rig and net browser nalang.  Problem is, I need an HDTV out (not HDMI) because my second monitor is an HD-CRT.  Unfortunately, wala ng HDTV out sa mga bagong videocards dahil rare species na kaming gumagamit ng HD-CRT - hehehe.

My PC is practically 24/7, sometimes for as long as a month with very heavy data traffic, but that never causes the 4870 to bug down. However, umiinit ng husto yung 4870 especially kapag summer, and galit na galit ang fan when I use the dual monitor and play something MKV or full BD structure on the HD-CRT while doing regular computing on the other, and that sometimes hanged my system and required a re-boot.  So kapag tag-init, I placed an electric fan directed towards the case breathing holes.   Before that, I also had issues with the ATI driver causing the PC to hang under dual monitor.   Na solve din through ATI driver update.

I am also thinking of simply buying an nmt but I am sure I would miss the flexibility of a pc.

update on my post: Thankfully my videocard functioned normally as if nothing had happened when I inserted it again. Hay buti na lang para walang gastos. Tuloy ang ligaya.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #548 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM »
Baka nakaset too low yung speed ng fan ng vc mo Sir, possible overheating issue po, pwede mo po macontrol yung fan speed nya sa ccc  ;) I-observe mo din Sir yung temp ng vc mo,pag naka connect yung hdmi ng 2nd monitor mo, mas mataas ang temp nya kesa sa 1 (pc)monitor lang ang naka connect.
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 02:14 PM »
Baka nga heat issue lang 'to... My HD5450 unfortunately has passive cooling i.e. an aluminum heatsink and this might not be enough to draw away the heat fast enough. When the computer was turned on for a few hours I tried touching the heatsink of the videocard and it was quite hot.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #550 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 02:41 PM »
Baka nga heat issue lang 'to... My HD5450 unfortunately has passive cooling i.e. an aluminum heatsink and this might not be enough to draw away the heat fast enough. When the computer was turned on for a few hours I tried touching the heatsink of the videocard and it was quite hot.
less than 100 pesos 120mm from cdrking case fan should do the trick.
ninjababez online ..

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #551 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 04:55 PM »
less than 100 pesos 120mm from cdrking case fan should do the trick.

thanks. Mapasyal nga sa hari ngayong bakasyon.  ;D

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
brader bongkadi what power supply are you using? and are you using an avr with that pc?

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 05:50 PM »
avr as in voltage regulator? yes I have recently recently changed my avr to a more heavy duty one. I previously used the kind that normally comes with pre built pcs and is very light. :D I changed the avr when I found an unused good quality avr that was lying around unused in my sister's place.

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 05:54 AM »
Try to get MSI Afterburner or any fan controlling device, if hindi nakuha sa fan controller, a porper ventilation sa case might do the trick , or maybe madumi nadin vidcard mo sir try mo brush brush sila  :)

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 03:10 PM »
Thanks sir. Will try your advise. :)

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Apr 12, 2012 at 05:31 PM »
avr as in voltage regulator? yes I have recently recently changed my avr to a more heavy duty one. I previously used the kind that normally comes with pre built pcs and is very light. :D I changed the avr when I found an unused good quality avr that was lying around unused in my sister's place.

also try to use a branded PSU, usually that is the culprit

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 04:54 AM »
Ivy Bridge is out and seems to be a great HTPC platform. Let's see what Trinity can do. :)

Offline -lee-

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #558 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM »
mga sir, patulong po..wala pong picture sa tv after ng windows logo.. gamit ko po ay denon 1912, tapos ati radeon 4650 vcard... thanks mga sir

Offline nutkrakr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 01:55 PM »
mga sirs, pls help yung sound ng rear channels ko ay sa front din lumalabas pag gamit yung coaxial going to my receiver, windows 7 gamit ko nung xp didnt encounter that problem, tried using an xternal sound card ganun pa rin, ty

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 03:22 PM »
mga sirs, pls help yung sound ng rear channels ko ay sa front din lumalabas pag gamit yung coaxial going to my receiver, windows 7 gamit ko nung xp didnt encounter that problem, tried using an xternal sound card ganun pa rin, ty
try to set..
control panel->sound->select digital->
configure as desire
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM »
mga sir, patulong po..wala pong picture sa tv after ng windows logo.. gamit ko po ay denon 1912, tapos ati radeon 4650 vcard... thanks mga sir

Try using a standard HDTV resolution like 1920x1080 or 1280x720, 60 or 50Hz.

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM »
the resolution is set to 1920x1080 sir, ok naman pag direct from htpc to tv.. pero pag pinadaan sa avr, hanggang post bios lang may display.. nawawala na pagdating sa windows..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM »
the resolution is set to 1920x1080 sir, ok naman pag direct from htpc to tv.. pero pag pinadaan sa avr, hanggang post bios lang may display.. nawawala na pagdating sa windows..
have no issues with my 1912 bro, if youre near pasig area you can pick me up and i can bring my laptop to test, para malaman natin kung VGA mo nga ang problema  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM »
have no issues with my 1912 bro, if youre near pasig area you can pick me up and i can bring my laptop to test, para malaman natin kung VGA mo nga ang problema  :)

thanks sa offer sir, sayang naman.. sa laoag city po ako  :) maganda nga sana subukan sa ibang pc or laptop.. ano pong video card nung laptop nyo sir? naresearch ko po kase, may issues yata talaga ati 4650 sa 1912..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1352229.html

try ko po kunan ng video bukas para mapakita ko po.. thanks sir

Offline nutkrakr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM »
Will try...tnx

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Apr 28, 2012 at 08:33 PM »
thanks sa offer sir, sayang naman.. sa laoag city po ako  :) maganda nga sana subukan sa ibang pc or laptop.. ano pong video card nung laptop nyo sir? naresearch ko po kase, may issues yata talaga ati 4650 sa 1912..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1352229.html

try ko po kunan ng video bukas para mapakita ko po.. thanks sir
ATi 6470 or 6450 yata ang vga nya bro  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: May 02, 2012 at 09:13 AM »
ATi 6470 or 6450 yata ang vga nya bro  :)

thanks sir... d ko talaga mapagana, hanggang post bios lang..  :(

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #568 on: May 02, 2012 at 11:04 AM »
thanks sir... d ko talaga mapagana, hanggang post bios lang..  :(

Reset mo kaya sir sa factory settings yung receiver then test. Tapos adjust mo nalang ang audio calibration mo after. 

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: May 02, 2012 at 03:44 PM »
Reset mo kaya sir sa factory settings yung receiver then test. Tapos adjust mo nalang ang audio calibration mo after. 

sinubukan ko po kagabi magreset, ganun pa rin. hanggang sa may windows logo lang ang may display.. bili na lang po ako optical para yun na lang gamitin ko muna sir.. hirap i-troubleshoot eh..