Author Topic: Turntable or amplifier problem? Please help!  (Read 7799 times)

Offline edgarryan

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Turntable or amplifier problem? Please help!
« on: May 08, 2010 at 03:21 AM »
I bought a stereo amplifier and a turntable, both old but still functioning.  However, I have been encountering some problems.

Before I got the stereo amplifier, I was using my old Sony stereo component with phono input, and there were no problems at first.  Then recently I noticed that the sound from the right channel was quite distorted, so I decided to get a new amplifier.  It has a knob for stereo or mono.  In stereo, there's normal and reverse, while in mono, there's left, right, and left + right.  If I place it in stereo, there's no or very weak sound in the right channel.  But in mono left + right, there's balanced sound in both channels.  However, there's no sound when switched to mono right. 

Then I checked the touched the headshell wires of my Hitachi Lo-D HT-462.  At first, just touching the headshell produces a humming sound even though the turntable is properly grounded.  And when I played a record, there was very little sound coming out from the speakers.  I touched the wires again, and there's no more humming sound and the volume is back to normal, but still no sound in the right channel when switched to mono right.

Is this normal?  If not, is it a turntable or amplifier problem?  Thanks in advance.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Turntable or amplifier problem? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010 at 08:27 AM »
try other source as input, example cd player (connect it thru aux in).
if same issue, amp problem.if not, its with your turntable.
amp:many things could happen-damaged channel, dirty switches, pre-amp to main switch dirty, etc
turntable: cartridge coil open, cartridge wire connection, not good, broken wire/rca neck, etc.
hth :)

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010 at 02:57 PM »
I will use other sources first, then I'll post what happens.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010 at 04:04 PM »
I tried my DVD player, and it works well on the amplifier.  Both channels are working.  Funny, but now my turntable also has output in both channels.  Must be a minor glitch or there must be something loose in the turntable.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010 at 05:04 PM »
I tried my DVD player, and it works well on the amplifier.  Both channels are working.  Funny, but now my turntable also has output in both channels.  Must be a minor glitch or there must be something loose in the turntable.

for some amps, that issue comes and goes like our old vintage amp. i can easily see the missing channel on mine because it has a bright digital eq on the front panel. sometimes it'll work and after 2 mins it goes out and then comes back on again. it does not work most of the time. i haven't sent mine in for repair.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010 at 05:32 PM »
It's at it again.  Nawala na naman yung sa right channel.  I really think it's the turntable since gumagana naman pareho pag sa CD player eh.  Must be something loose sa cartridge and headshell.

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010 at 07:05 PM »
Have you checked the cables connecting the turntable to the amplifier. I think it is either the wires or the connection of the cartridge. Check any loose connections. Or try to use another cable which you have tested to be in good condition.

Offline nadnadnad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010 at 10:30 PM »
experienced it before...

i just resolder yung ung silver wires sa stylus...then nag ok na...

kaso hirap i solder nyan he he

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010 at 10:59 PM »
Mukha ngang delicate yung wires eh.  Hanap siguro ako ng marunong mag-solder.  Last time I soldered something was in high school pa.  Hehehe.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM »
OK, so I was able to fix the problem of the missing channels by sending the amplifier to Raon for repair earlier.  Now, I've got another problem.  When I use my Kenwood turntable, the sounds are clean.  However, when I use my Hitachi turntable with a new headshell, cartridge, and stylus on the same record, there is distortion.  I tried the old headshell, cart, and stylus on the same turntable, and there is no distortion.  I attached a different stylus to the new headshell and cart, and the distortion was minimized, but still it's there.  Is it a problem with the new parts' compatibility with the turntable, or just an issue of cartridge alignment? 

Offline nizmo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010 at 05:49 AM »
OK, so I was able to fix the problem of the missing channels by sending the amplifier to Raon for repair earlier.  Now, I've got another problem.  When I use my Kenwood turntable, the sounds are clean.  However, when I use my Hitachi turntable with a new headshell, cartridge, and stylus on the same record, there is distortion.  I tried the old headshell, cart, and stylus on the same turntable, and there is no distortion.  I attached a different stylus to the new headshell and cart, and the distortion was minimized, but still it's there.  Is it a problem with the new parts' compatibility with the turntable, or just an issue of cartridge alignment? 

might be the alignment or vtf.
you can align it yourself, just browse for turntable protractor and print the one suggested for your brand  ;D ;D ;D

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM »
might be the alignment or vtf.
you can align it yourself, just browse for turntable protractor and print the one suggested for your brand  ;D ;D ;D

I already tried that.  Being a newbie, I'm afraid I might be doing the wrong thing.  I better leave it to the experts.  But as long as those are the problems and can be easily remedied, I can rest well.  Heheh.

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM »
I already tried that.  Being a newbie, I'm afraid I might be doing the wrong thing.  I better leave it to the experts.  But as long as those are the problems and can be easily remedied, I can rest well.  Heheh.

dont worry bro, nobody is perfect  ;D ;D ;D
but it is still important to learn it... just follow the given instructions... and its fun  ;)
just get the measurement of your TT's pivot to the spindle then you can easily use
any of the arc protractor that correspond to your measurement. ganun lang... ;D
sa anti-skate basta may bala ka lang LaserDisc ayos na!

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM »
you need a phono stage.
peace man!

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
Re: Turntable connection
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM »
hi dvdmates,
Somebody gave me old orig vinyl albums, and decided I wanted to hear them, so I bought recently an old turntable pioneer, (condition is with power at 220v/turning/arm working/without the needle) and just sourced it myself, however to my dismay, after installing the needle and setting the vinyl, no sounds can be heard in the speaker. I could hear the a little sound just above the turntable and the needle only.
I tried hooking it up in this condition
1. yamaha avr amplifier at aux/cd/dvd source (no phono)
2. tube amp at cd/aux/dvd (no phono)
Is the turntable can be hook only at phono?
is there a problem with the player?
pls advise Im badly excited in heraing the vinyl, and still got no budget in buying new and 2nd hand branded TT at the moment. Bought the pioneer at P300 hehehehehe

pls advise any technical assistance is highly appreciated

your amp must have a "phono in" otherwise you wont really hear anything.
if none, they you can buy phono pre-amp/stage.

sayang mga plaka mo brader  ;D ;D ;D

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM »
hi dvdmates,
Somebody gave me old orig vinyl albums, and decided I wanted to hear them, so I bought recently an old turntable pioneer, (condition is with power at 220v/turning/arm working/without the needle) and just sourced it myself, however to my dismay, after installing the needle and setting the vinyl, no sounds can be heard in the speaker. I could hear the a little sound just above the turntable and the needle only.
I tried hooking it up in this condition
1. yamaha avr amplifier at aux/cd/dvd source (no phono)
2. tube amp at cd/aux/dvd (no phono)
Is the turntable can be hook only at phono?
is there a problem with the player?
pls advise Im badly excited in heraing the vinyl, and still got no budget in buying new and 2nd hand branded TT at the moment. Bought the pioneer at P300 hehehehehe

pls advise any technical assistance is highly appreciated

Parang alam ko kung saan nabili ito.  Sa sulit.com.ph, di ba?  You need a phono input sa amplifier mo dahil the sound coming from a turntable is not line level.  Kailangan mo ng phono preamp para maging line level ang volume nya.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM »
your amp must have a "phono in" otherwise you wont really hear anything.
if none, they you can buy phono pre-amp/stage.

sayang mga plaka mo brader  ;D ;D ;D

Malay mo, madismaya sya at ipamigay na lang mga plaka nya.   ;D

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010 at 04:17 PM »
tumpak ka kapatid eto yung nasa sulit! hehehehehe nagtititpid kasi enrollment pa ngayon, hehehehehe

salamat ng maramingx1,000,000 i appreciate your input, ganun pala kailangan sa phono ko i-connect siensha na mejo bago lang, pag wala nuon do i need do buy this?

pls click on the link po,,,tapos padadaainin ko jan? pls advise many thanks!
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=114181.0

Yes, that's exactly what you need.  Magandang klase na yan.  Merong mga binebentang mura sa e-bay, pero di ko lang sure ang quality.  Naunahan mo ako doon sa sulit eh.  I texted the seller one day after mo mabili.  Hehehe.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010 at 04:28 PM »
hi dvdmates,

Bought the pioneer at P300 hehehehehe

wow swerte naman.
bilhin ko ng p600. 100% profit ka na nyan. tapos arbor na lang mga plaka. hehe ;D ;D ;D

hope you get to listen to your lps as soon as possible!
one piece of advise: DON"T LET THE NEEDLE WIN!

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010 at 06:34 PM »
wow swerte naman.
bilhin ko ng p600. 100% profit ka na nyan. tapos arbor na lang mga plaka. hehe ;D ;D ;D

I'm intrigued.  What do you mean by this?

Offline polkies

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • polkrtia7's
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM »
sure is sa profit! however yung sourcing of the needle is quite tough, needle cost me 1k waited for 1.5 wks to arrived plus gasolina sa qc ako work tapos sa pioneer DIAN st mkti ko inorder, binalikan ko pa after...
polkrtia7/tsi400/panasonicplasma42/yamaha657
pioneersx1050

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM »

wow swerte naman.

we usually associate the needle with addiction.
the turntable has a needle.
if you start buying more turntables and lps and can't stop yourself from buying even more,
then you're letting the needle win!
just enjoy the music!

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM »

we usually associate the needle with addiction.
the turntable has a needle.
if you start buying more turntables and lps and can't stop yourself from buying even more,
then you're letting the needle win!
just enjoy the music!

Ah, now I get it.  Hehehe.  Para ngang I'm letting the needle win dahil sa ngayon, tatlo na turntable ko.  Yun nga lang isa, walang needle.  Hinahanapan ko pa.  Tapos, hinahanap ko pa yung lumang turntable namin na National.  Sana nakatambak lang at hindi pa naipapamigay ng nanay ko.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010 at 02:27 AM »
sure is sa profit! however yung sourcing of the needle is quite tough, needle cost me 1k waited for 1.5 wks to arrived plus gasolina sa qc ako work tapos sa pioneer DIAN st mkti ko inorder, binalikan ko pa after...

Did you try going to Raon to look for the needle?  Meron sa Armstrong na Pioneer needle ah.

Offline polkies

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • polkrtia7's
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010 at 02:14 PM »
meron na sir nakuha ko na by order po sa pioneer repair center sa may DIAN st makati, thanks pag nasira ulit duon nako bibili,,,
polkrtia7/tsi400/panasonicplasma42/yamaha657
pioneersx1050

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010 at 03:14 PM »
problema ay phono stage para sa AVR and tube ko (cd/dvd/aux), swerte pa din may nagbigay opismate ko galing tatay nia 1973 zenith mc6020 tuner/amplifier/8track player check ko likod may phonostage,,,,yung speaker conncetor po ay rcs type pa yun lang ang hindrance at the moment, kasi puro banana plug yun mga speaker connector ko, pano ko gawin dulo terminator ay banana plig tapos sa zenith speaker ay RCA connector....????hmmm ???

Puwede sigurong ipabago yung interconnects sa electrician.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010 at 03:54 PM »
OK, so I was able to fix the problem of the missing channels by sending the amplifier to Raon for repair earlier.  Now, I've got another problem. 

bro, i have a few questions. how much did it cost to get it fixed? anung component yung pinalitan? thorough cleaning ba and replacing of caps? anu yung prob daw?

cuz i'm planning to have my amp repaired din. and it's good that i have an idea para iwas taga ng technician. thanks thanks!

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010 at 06:30 PM »
bro, i have a few questions. how much did it cost to get it fixed? anung component yung pinalitan? thorough cleaning ba and replacing of caps? anu yung prob daw?

cuz i'm planning to have my amp repaired din. and it's good that i have an idea para iwas taga ng technician. thanks thanks!

Yung sa akin, dahil sa kalumaan, they had to clean the board and resolder some parts.  Wala namang pinalitang mga piyesa.  Nag-angatan lang yata yung mga connections due to age.  They charged me P700 with 2 months warranty.  Dapat nga yun, P800, pero natawaran ko.

However, binalik ko rin sya after a day dahil nagsimula na namang humina yung sound sa isang channel.  Nung tinignan nila, wala namang problema.  The weird thing is, I think it's the interconnects of my turntable that's causing the problem.  Pag kasi nawawala yung sound sa isang channel, I spray the turntable RCA terminals with contact cleaner, and bumabalik na yung tunog.

A change of ICs might be in order to fully enjoy my records.  Akala ko, nakamura na ako sa P2,000 na Lo-D turntable.  Hehehe.

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010 at 06:39 PM »
nong binigay may power, kaso wala out na signal, dinala ko sa kinetic sa robinson pioneer, gumagawa duon ng amp,(maker ng AMX tube amp) may sira nga mga caps/resistor, inaudition ko pagtapos ganda tumunog solid state,can drive their 350 DIY na speaker nila,,, kaso dipa nila mapagana yung vu left n right meter at saka yung tuner indicator needlle level, kaya iniwan ko ulit duon, ang running nia P800 parts worth plus 1700 labor, bale 2.5k na, budget ko to have it repaired gang 4k, sunod nila icheck yung 8track kasi nung binigay sa akin dami orig na bala, galing pa sa us,,,pag tumaas na bill nuon pahold ko repair ng 8track, ipalit ko lang yung turntable. na P300 ::) hihihihi may phono stage yun zenith
ayaw ko dalhin sa mga labas lang na repair shop kasi sariwa yung unit, padalaan kita ng pix nxt

I haven't heard an 8-track tape being played yet.  I jumped from vinyl records to casette tapes kasi.  Heheh.  I think it's better kung yung turntable muna unahin mo.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010 at 06:45 PM »
@edgarryan

thanks for the info bro. tama kayo, hirap magtipid, minsan sakit sa ulo ang kapalit.  ::)