Author Topic: The Peque Gallaga Thread  (Read 125766 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #120 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 07:26 PM »
His other two dream projects are ANG BABAENG HULK &
LIGAWAN SA PANAHON NG TAGSIBOL AT DIGMAAN.

I can't imagine men as mahjong players dishing out the latest gossips if ever ORO's sequel will happen..... :)
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2004 at 07:39 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #121 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 04:54 AM »
Lore is not directing?! Now I'm interested.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 08:01 AM »
Lore is not directing?! Now I'm interested.

me too.....the old man is making a comeback wow....finally!!!  :D

He should do his films in solo credit.....but I'm not saying Lore Reyes sucks I still like some of their collaborations....ONCE UPON A TIME, TIYANAK, ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Oct 28, 2004 at 07:27 AM »
When you talk regarding the Master Filmmakers in Philippine Cinema you always think of either
 BROCKA and BERNAL....

but no GALLAGA...... ???

it's nice to welcome the New Year with his comeback flick....
NANG PANAHONG NAGING BLONDE ANG MGA PINOY
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2004 at 07:29 AM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 06:06 PM »
Peque just wrapped-up shooting San Miguel's new, multi-million peso tvc. Expect this one to be another mini epic.

"Philippine cinema will die a year or two from now... let it die."
-Peque Gallaga

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Nov 07, 2004 at 02:22 AM »
He should make the most out of it while Philippine Cinema is still breathing..... ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Nov 08, 2004 at 08:29 PM »
Peque Gallaga on ORO, PLATA, MATA

"It was as if God had touched me on the forehead and my wish was granted. I was going to be able to do the movie I wanted to do in the way I wanted to do it. It was a wish that was granted with a 2.5 million peso price tag. That's like being given 40 million pesos to do your favorite ALTERNATIVE WET DREAM now."
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2004 at 08:38 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Dec 04, 2004 at 10:47 AM »
Another quotable quotes from the old man......on the closeness of Oro to his family history.....

"Well, I didn't have any aunts or female relatives visiting funky wounded guerillas in rice granaries in the jungle and fondling their private parts, things like that were natural extensions of the premises that existed within this imaginary family that I put together in this story. But the parameters that they operated in were from real-life family experiences."

"My wife actually was born in the jungles of Negros Occidental. They lived in a series of tree houses where they would pull the ladders in after them. My mother-in-law met her future husband when he used to visit them as a guerilla. Hacienda living is like that. A lot of nothing to do with a battery of servants to make sure that you could do nothing effortlessly. The peeling of the butong pakwan by the servants, people playing mahjong all day. I do have an aunt who is almost in her 90's who plays mahjong daily seven times a week, sunrise to sunset. (Can you imagine what her buttocks must be like?)"
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2004 at 10:59 AM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 07:50 PM »
If im not mistaken, there's a new film from this great director. Not the Marian miracles in lipa. I forgot the title.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
If im not mistaken, there's a new film from this great director. Not the Marian miracles in lipa. I forgot the title.

Its NANG PANAHONG NAGING BLONDE ANG MGA PINOY ...Unitel I think will shorten it to PINOY BLONDE.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 09:18 PM »
Peque Gallaga on Oro's sequel.......

"I am on the psychological brink of shooting a movie in the same mansion as in Oro. Actually its more of memory piece from the Plata portion of Oro. The same hacienda and the same wartime environment. But after 20 years and ten years of Prozac, it's an older, gentler and kinder-- dare I say-- a more loving treatment of family under dire circumstances. It wouldn't be strictly a sequel.

But we always had plans for a sequel. Since Oro is an elegy to the loss of Spanish influence on Philippine life, the natural thing was to pick up one character-- the accountant of Don Claudio who becomes a guerilla leader-- and follow him through Reconstruction. The hoarding, the Black Market and the blossoming squatter explosion which had its origins in World War II. Of course we would retain the major mahjong sessions, but this time it would be the men who would be playing.

It would be an epic story of the slow beginning of a Philippines run like hell by Filipinos."

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jan 28, 2005 at 02:23 PM »
From Erwin Romulo's column:

Oro Plata Mata (Peque Gallaga)

They just don’t throw parties like they used to – at least not in Philippine cinema anyway. Nowadays, they’re just an excuse for a climactic confrontation wherein only the main cast seems to have really been invited and the extras are left pottering about in ill-fitting fashions the art director managed to collect from the same warehouse since the 1980s. But in Gallaga’s solo debut as director, he pulls us right in by throwing the most opulent bash to usher us into the world of 1941 Philippine aristocracy. It is the birthday of Margarita, grandchild of Don Claudio Ojeda, and she is waiting for the news about her fiance who is fighting in Bataan. The patriarch himself steals away from the party to confer with a member of the guerilla movement of which he is a supporter. Outside, the younger sister Trining is experiencing her first kiss with Miguel, the son of her mother’s best friend, Inday Lorenzo. There’s dancing and even the kids are getting a taste of the fine wine of the bourgeoisie; "the war will only last two weeks," everyone reassures themselves. Even with the news of the sinking of the Corregidor, a passenger ship with friends and relatives, the musicians are told not to stop playing.

With his experience as a production designer for directors like Ishmael Bernal (on his masterpiece Manila By Night) and Eddie Romero, Gallaga shows his strengths with telling detail and meticulous visuals that chronicle with acute observation the lives of two clans. Forced to hide in the mountains to escape the Japanese, they try to forget the reality of war by indulging in their normal pastimes like mahjong and playing records. It does not take long for the brutality to intrude on their rural sojourn, making them confront the horrors of the conflict through the faces of those around them who – until then – they did not see. Clearly, Gallaga is not painting an Amorsolo picture: the rural idyll backdrops are abruptly slashed, and the characters are left to wander the stage in a crepuscular but unforgiving light.

"The war has made animals of us," Trining spews out in the film’s finale. The setting is another party, a more modest one perhaps but still a celebration. Nonetheless, we can only thank Gallaga and his collaborators for the invitation.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Jan 28, 2005 at 08:19 PM »
Clearly thru Gallaga's experience as a production designer in such masterpieces like Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT & Romero's GANITO KAMI NOON, PAANO KAYO NGAYON he managed to flexed his muscles by creating the most visual epic in Philippine cinema and that is.....ORO, PLATA, MATA.

I just wish the exodus scene of the Lorenzo & Ojeda clan much longer....Viring (Lorli Villanueva) & Dra. Jo Russell (Maya Valdez) back at the last party scene before the film's finale and yeah the last words of Trining (Cherie Gil) was unforgettable!
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2005 at 08:29 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 02:07 PM »
Whilst shooting Manila by Night, Bernal was in a quandry on how to shoot the scene where Cherie Gil is supposed to be drugged out and later jumps into the Manila Bay. Gallaga, as the prod. designer, came up with the idea of placing candles on styro boards and let them float on the bay. He then resquested Sergio Lobo, the DOP, to shoot the scene blurred and fuzzy to give the impression that Cherie is halucinating and seeing bright lights. Well, you know what happend? Sergio didn't quite get the instructions and shot the scene as is! So, if you watch that particular scene, you'll see floating candles on the bay surrounding Cherie and company! Peque pleaded with Bernal for a reshoot but he refused: In moviemaking, he said, there is always room for one flaw or error.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2005 at 02:12 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 05:11 PM »
Speaking of Cherie Gil, I was captivated by her beauty after I saw her personally during the 20th anniversary screening of Oro, Plata, Mata at Greenbelt cinema last 2003. Did Peque used double for her sizzling scenes with Ronnie Lazaro in Oro? And she has a wet look scene also in Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT.

Sad to know that she didn't come back as Gem dela Rosa in the second season of Gallaga's mini-series CEBU .

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 08:03 PM »
Whilst shooting Manila by Night, Bernal was in a quandry on how to shoot the scene where Cherie Gil is supposed to be drugged out and later jumps into the Manila Bay. Gallaga, as the prod. designer, came up with the idea of placing candles on styro boards and let them float on the bay. He then resquested Sergio Lobo, the DOP, to shoot the scene blurred and fuzzy to give the impression that Cherie is halucinating and seeing bright lights. Well, you know what happend? Sergio didn't quite get the instructions and shot the scene as is! So, if you watch that particular scene, you'll see floating candles on the bay surrounding Cherie and company! Peque pleaded with Bernal for a reshoot but he refused: In moviemaking, he said, there is always room for one flaw or error.

That's why the candles floated on styro boards on that particular scene! Still confuse me until now the importance of that scene in CITY AFTER DARK.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Feb 19, 2005 at 06:38 PM »
Peque Gallaga on movie critics

"We practically don't have any. We have a lot of reviewers, but no critics. They know that one shouldn't judge film the way one judges literature. That's what they learn in all their seminars so they say it a lot, but they don't understand it. Our reviewers are number one: terribly lazy and number two: invested with a lot of attitude.

"In the end, I have no respect for Filipino movie reviewers. They don't work as hard as we do."
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2005 at 06:49 PM by keating »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Feb 19, 2005 at 09:11 PM »
Hi Ron! So this is what's in here pare! Very interesting stuff! Not really a fan of Manong Peque but i must admit his masterpieces are pretty darn good!
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Feb 19, 2005 at 09:13 PM »
Hi Ron! So this is what's in here pare! Very interesting stuff! Not really a fan of Manong Peque but i must admit his masterpieces are pretty darn good!

You should dig them pre! And you have similarities with Peque.....both of you are cono..... 8)  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2005 at 09:26 PM by keating »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Feb 19, 2005 at 09:38 PM »
You should dig them pre! And you have similarities with Peque.....both of you are cono..... 8)  ;D

hehehe! cono kuno! baka kamag- anak mo parekoy si manong P. ? : )
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Feb 19, 2005 at 09:41 PM »
hehehe! cono kuno! baka kamag- anak mo parekoy si manong P. ? : )

Slight siguro bro......hehehe....just kidding.... ;D.....I have a penchant for his movies because we are both Ilonggo since my late father also hails from Negros Occidental.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2005 at 06:33 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 09:55 AM »
Saw PERSONA last night hosted by Joey Reyes at Cinema One, Liza Lorena was featured and during the interview she recalls how weird PEQUE GALLAGA was! The long hair, etc and how she was aloof at first during the making of
 Oro, Plata, Mata in Bacolod.

The rest of the cast worked with Peque before on CHAMPOY like Cherie Gil & Mitch Valdez.....and speaking of Mitch, Maya before during her obscure days.....her role as the liberated Jo Russell was first offered to Liza Lorena but nixed it after her son, Tonton Gutierrez read the script and found the part so bold and daring, even though her only backside will be shown.

Luckily Boots Anson Roa nixed also the part of Fides Asencio as Inday Lorenzo the mother of Joel Torre in the movie....she got the part of Nena Ojeda. It helped her a lot to be somekind of aloof with Peque since she has only a few lines during the mahjong sessions but in the course of the movie had fun also making it. And she was asking why Peque didnt have one on one with her and later found out that her performance was already good.

And it was Mitch Valdez also who taught her to drink tequila.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005 at 10:03 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #142 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 10:59 PM »
Hmmm... didnt national artist Salvador Bernal do the excellent production design of Oro Plata?

What I liked best about the movie is how Peque (being a
Negrense himself) managed to recapture the decadence in the lifestyle of the Negros sugar planters and hacinederos before the collapse of the sugar industry.   Who woulda thought Joey Reyes did the script?

Noticed how he made use of mostly Negrenses in the cast?

Maybe he also helped in the production design along with Don Escudero but the costumes which look very authentic was done by him.

National Artist Salvador Bernal also did the costumes for VIRGIN FOREST and GUMISING KA MARUJA.

Ricky Lee rejected Peque's offer to write the film of ORO PLATA MATA. And it was Joey Reyes who phoned it in.......very neat and very clever along with the title!
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2005 at 11:01 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2005 at 11:07 PM »
His so called indie movie called Pinoy Blonde sounds good. For a pro Brocka and Bernal film.  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2005 at 05:20 PM »
His so called indie movie called Pinoy Blonde sounds good. For a pro Brocka and Bernal film.  :)

Yup its marketed as an indie flick. Hopefully PINOY BLONDE will be shown second quarter of this year.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 05:29 PM »
Peque just wrapped-up shooting San Miguel's new, multi-million peso tvc. Expect this one to be another mini epic.

-Peque Gallaga

His quotes regarding piracy drew a lot of flak........he's often misunderstood. PINOY BLONDE got good reviews but defeat at the box-office.

The red carpet preem of PINOY BLONDE was nostalgia down memory lane, three of the CHAMPOY gang were there to greet Peque..... Cherie Gil, Tessie Tomas & Noel Trinidad. Missing were Mitch Valdez & Subas Herrero.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:48 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 05:12 PM »
Joel Torre on Oro, Plata, Mata

"I've seen it recently, I know the innocence of my character, but my performance was too theatrical."

Offline qbaokitty

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 03:02 AM »
-Peque Gallaga

Maybe that's why he made PINOY BLONDE?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:26 PM »
PINOY BLONDE will still resurrect Philippine Cinema from its comatose state. The old visionaries (Guillen, O'Hara, Abaya) are still there just waiting for the right time.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:36 PM »
-Peque Gallaga

Maybe that's why he made PINOY BLONDE?

I think what Peque meant when he said this is that Phil Cinema should die along with the old practices of making movies. Then, when the dust has settled, the new players can start again from scratch without the inconvenience of corporate producers breathing down their necks.