Author Topic: The Peque Gallaga Thread  (Read 124891 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
I think Celso's neglected masterpiece is ALAMAT NI JULIAN MAKABAYAN. I was so really impressed with that movie! Its like Eddie Romero/Peque Gallaga combo in one. He's no longer the kid, but even ISLA I was amazed!

And that's not counting the greatest horror film in Phil. Cinema.....PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA.
Count also PAGPUTI NG UWAK PAGITIM NG TAGAK, BURLESK QUEEN.

Do you think he's more genius than Mike de Leon? Its about time for a Celso Ad Castillo retrospective.

Offline eman59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2006 at 01:04 AM »
Marina Feleo-Gonzalez becomes livid at the mere mention of Alamat...  Marina wrote Julian Makabayan as a biography of her father, and she cannot forgive Celso for the transforming it into a picaresque fable.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2006 at 04:17 AM »
No one contests Mike's genius as an intellectual. Celso's genius comes from below the belt.

Heard about Marina's complaint--hard to say what I think about that. There's a long history of authors unhappy with what filmmakers have done with their works; Nick Joaquin was unhappy with what Mario O'Hara did with Johnny Tinoso, happy with what Tikoy did with Tatarin. Personally speaking I prefer Johnny Tinoso, flawed it may be.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2006 at 08:14 AM »
Marina Feleo-Gonzalez becomes livid at the mere mention of Alamat...  Marina wrote Julian Makabayan as a biography of her father, and she cannot forgive Celso for the transforming it into a picaresque fable.

Fable? Celso transformed it into a visual feast. And it certainly works for me.

Offline eman59

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
Fable? Celso transformed it into a visual feast. And it certainly works for me.

I liked it too.  I was just relating what Marina told me.  She felt that the very title of the movie denigrated the memory and story of her father, which was neither fable nor legend, but real and personal.  While I understand how the final cut may have betrayed her intentions as a writer (and a daughter), the movie did work.  Which brings us to Noel's point that writers and directors will always have uneasy relationships.  But ultimately it's a director's medium I suppose, and in the case of an auteur like Celso Ad, even more so. 

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2006 at 05:16 PM »
I don't know if it's a consolation to her, but giving her father's story the feel of a fable probably made it more memorable, if not more credible, gave her father a larger-than-life feel, made him stay in people's minds longer than if his story had been related as solid, sober fact. Even then, it's possible she won't appreciate all that, for any number of reasons. Very complicated stuff. 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
I haven't read the book, but Celso was not faithful to the original version by the author? This is turning out to be a Celso Ad Castillo thread.

How did you find the movie, Noel? It has an epic/period atmosphere and Celso was able to deliver the story very well.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2006 at 05:31 PM »
Romy Vitug told me that when it came out, people compared it and his photography to Days of Heaven.

I disagree. It's hypnotic, lyric, very grand, but it's not Malick at all. Malick never used a split-open carabao.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2006 at 05:33 PM »
They should screen ALAMAT NI JULIAN MAKABAYAN on the big screen. Romy Vitug's cinematography are always top-notch giving justice cinematically and very pleasing to the eyes.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2006 at 05:36 PM »
Mind you, I didn't understand it. The 16 mm print I saw didn't have a soundtrack at all, and it was barely watchable.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
Call Jojo to the rescue, Noel. If you want to watch it again.  ;)

Offline eman59

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2006 at 12:23 AM »
I haven't read the book, but Celso was not faithful to the original version by the author? This is turning out to be a Celso Ad Castillo thread.

She did story and screenplay (she also wrote Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo).  I think Alamat... is on VCD.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2006 at 09:48 AM »
She did story and screenplay (she also wrote Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo).  I think Alamat... is on VCD.

My copy has subs. SOFIA should restore the masterprint asap. Its being shown occasionally at Cinema One.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2006 at 02:16 PM »
I don't know if there is a print anymore. I think that 16 mm is it.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2006 at 05:54 PM »
Manny Pacquiao can now retire in his boxing career since that San Miguel Beer commercial made him richer by multi-million pesos.

This is the second time that Peque directed SMB commercial. The first one aired during the late 80's.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 05:56 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
Caught the first episode of Cebu, the mini-series created by the triumverate of Peque Gallaga, Lore Reyes and Don Escudero; their take on Dallas or Dynasty but set in the Queen City of the South with the de la Rosa clan as the central family. And after all these years, the intrigues, the family squabbles, the power plays, greed, and thirst for power still works and still has the same gripping, engrossing effect. Just two gripes: 1) the characters all seem to revolve in such a small world where everything is known by everyone eventualy; 2) it's on at 12noon every Tuesday, making it impossible for me to catch it. i want my DVD boxed-set! Please, someone tape the show for me. hehe. I hope they show Cebu: Revisited.

You should check out Book 2, RMN and see what will happen to Sophia O'Connor dela Rosa. Even my mom was hooked on the mini-series.......she's one of the reasons why we are glued to it and definitely check out Celeste Legaspi's confrontation scene with Gina Alajar on Book 2.  ;)

Too bad Gem dela Rosa (Cherie Gil) was no longer around in Book 2, that would be more explosive, gripping and more intriguing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 at 12:21 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
Manny Pacquiao can now retire in his boxing career since that San Miguel Beer commercial made him richer by multi-million pesos.

This is the second time that Peque directed SMB commercial. The first one aired during the late 80's.

Peque also directed the SMB TVC with Judy Ann etc.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2006 at 09:21 PM »
Anyone still remembers APPLE PIE, PATIS, ATBP? It used to air every Friday on channel 9 at 9pm with Joey de Leon as host. Peque concentrated on this one after the flop of KID HUWAG KANG SUSUKO;D

Ana Marie Gutierrez, SCORPIO NIGHTS alumnus was interviewed in the U.S. when she migrated and tells her own experience. The musical score was done by Nonong Pedero known as Dero Pedero who has a column in Phil. Star.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 at 09:48 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Jun 01, 2006 at 09:08 PM »
From a reliable source........there's a teaser already made for Peque Gallaga's next dream project, the epic LIGAWAN SA PANAHON NG TAGSIBOL AT DIGMAAN.

Peque used his workshoppers recently in Bacolod for the trailer to be use in the movie which is still in pre-production process. Still no first day of shooting, yet!

Cool!
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006 at 09:09 PM by keating »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Jun 02, 2006 at 12:54 PM »
From a reliable source........there's a teaser already made for Peque Gallaga's next dream project, the epic LIGAWAN SA PANAHON NG TAGSIBOL AT DIGMAAN.

Peque used his workshoppers recently in Bacolod for the trailer to be use in the movie which is still in pre-production process. Still no first day of shooting, yet!

Cool!

sounds cool nga bro. more updates ron!  ;)
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Jun 02, 2006 at 10:41 PM »
Galing bro, wala pa yung movie, there's a teaser already! I bet this would be 3 years in the making if no producers will gamble on it. Peque will peddle it on foreign market. If this is the sequel to ORO PLATA MATA, expect it to be another great masterpiece!

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2006 at 11:08 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:31 AM »
Caught CEBU yesterday, just a few more episodes and it will end already. I wonder if Don Horacio dela Rosa was still alive in the series and who will play his part? He looks like the late Ishma on the portrait.

Subas Herrero was considered for that part but instead, Peque, cast him as the villain who was also power hungry in Book 2.

Love, love the anthem of the series on the opening credits!
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:33 AM by keating »

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Jul 22, 2006 at 12:42 PM »
I wish Gallaga could duplicate the success of SCORPIO NIGHTS or even his other films in different genre. His sequel to ORO, no producers wanted to tackle, maybe his other dream project.......LIGAWAN SA PANAHON NG TAGSIBOL AT DIGMAAN.

Right after SCORPIO NIGHTS, Don Escudero intimated that Peque Gallaga was thinking of making an out-and-out sex flick ala IN THE REALM OF THE SENES.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 05:47 PM »
SCORPIO NIGHTS already resonates with IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES. Peque doesn't want to do another skin flick in the future.

He is contemplating on another epic after the box-office failure of PINOY BLONDE.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 07:26 PM »
Check out Madeleine Gallaga, Peque's wife as one of the laundry woman in the hilarious river scene matched with an Ilonggo song in the background with Ronnie Lazaro and the soldiers in ORO PLATA MATA.

;)
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 07:27 PM by keating »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 09:47 PM »
I love Peque's works. I cried watching Kid Huwag Ka Sususko kasi ako lang ata ang nasa loob ng balcony ng sinehan and I thought the film deserved a bigger audience.

Oro was wonderful. Scorpio just as well.

And I love Cebu. Lara Melissa de Leon was magnificent as the bastarda. Celeste as Sofia de la Rosa Connors was brilliant. Expectedly, the Gil-de Mesa clan was outstanding. I like it more than Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc. Over the top, yes. But it was such in the right places. I was moved when Cherie Gil kissed Joel Torre (who is HIV+ in the series). Even Peque managed to make Cebu socially relevant.

Re: Celso Ad, I remember how it was expected to dominate the MMFF and the succeeding awards but he became over-confident and there are a shut-out re: Julian Makabayan. I though Julian is a beautiful film. Sayang. It was seriously underrated. I love Nympha, Pagputi ng Uwak, Burlesk Queen, even Paradise Inn (didn't Celso do this one, starring Vivian Velez and Lolita Rodriguez--I love this film because of many reasons, one of them being Vivian Velez finally proving that she can actually act). Lolita was wonderful.

Peque shouldn't be discouraged after Pinoy Blonde. People like him and Mario O Hara (or even Celso, though he should be a bit more humble now) should continue making films because they are living treasures. They have given so much of themselves to our country and the local film industry.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Aug 01, 2006 at 07:47 PM »
KID HUWAG KANG SUSUKO was a combination actually of two titles taken from a Hollywood film, Karate Kid & No Retreat, No Surrender that only Mother Lily can imagine!

The Regal matriarch didn't give Peque any project for two years after it flopped at the tills. He only recovered via TIYANAK which was originally under FLT Films.

ORO PLATA MATA was up there already, the trademark of the visual flair of the old man. There are times that I liked VIRGIN FOREST & UNFAITHFUL WIFE than SCORPIO NIGHTS.

And yeah, surfsam, CEBU was fantastic! I just fervently wish that they release the box-set of that series. Cherie Gil finally congratulating Lara Melissa de Leon on her wedding day was one of the memorable moments to wrapped up Book 1 of the series.

On 2nd viewing I find Celso's JULIAN MAKABAYAN totally underrated although I haven't seen PAGPUTI NG UWAK, PAGITIM NG TAGAK, touted as another great masterpiece from the kid. Vivian Velez could actually act, her performance as the obsessed crazy woman in one of Chito Rono's flick is her best to date.

Celso Ad is no longer the kid, but Mario O'Hara is still around, he was sighted at Cinemalaya last time, btw. Peque is doing an episode of a trilogy before the end of this year and marks the screenwriting  debut of his son, Wanggo Gallaga.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2006 at 08:52 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 07:54 PM »
Since the 5 hours director's cut of Peque Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA no longer exists, here are some scenes that I noticed complete in the recent Pelikula at Lipunan shown last February.

1. The party scene of Maggie (Sandy Andolong) is extended, the ballroom scene is much much longer, you can see one of the guest nun dancing and one of Maggie's Aunt.

2. The children getting some food on the main table of the kitchen.

3. The band in the party scene has a close-up shot before the long, long, ballroom scene. Love, love this scene!  :D

4. Manny Castaneda has a dialogue while clearing the wheel chair of Mona Lisa.  ;D

5. More dialogue from the guests in panic before the party was cut short because of the announcement of the war!

6. The prayer scene of the Lorenzo & Ojeda clan in the Plata section at the hacienda is longer.

7. When the two guests arrived in the villa, Jo Russell (Maya Valdez) & Viring (Lorli Villanueva) after they were entertained by Inday Lorenzo (Fides Asencio), there was a shot of Melchor (Abbo dela Cruz) and one of the servants in dark background that looks so creepy in the window that probably signals the incoming disaster that will befall the two clans!

8. The soldiers led by Hermes (Ronnie Lazaro) jump naked in the river while an Ilonggo song was being played in the background, check out Madeleine Gallaga, Peque's wife has a cameo here.

9. And oh, the pack-up scene in the villa before the outstanding exodus scene.........the graphic love scenes of the two servants, Melchor giving instructions outside of the house, Inday Lorenzo praying while Estrella is closing the window already. Peque asked the late Ishmael Bernal if he could make the exodus scene much longer, that scene probably was already lost in the first cut that he made.

10. Now the Mata section, the animals were being butchered for the meal of the two families. The surgery scene by one of the soldiers is hard to stomach but shown without cuts. Maya Valdez and Robert Antonio's love scene at the falls is explicitly shown.

11. Cherie Gil is hot, hot in her love scene with Ronnie Lazaro. Her character is more fleshed out from being naive to becoming confuse and sex slave.

12. The massacre scene is much gorier where you can see the piled up bodies.

13. Kuh Ledesma's head literally blown into pieces before the final party scene.

Darn! I want the dvd of this Gallaga masterpiece!
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006 at 08:26 PM by keating »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:36 PM »
Me too.

It will sell. Oro is a classic. One of my few memories as an adolescent that I felt proud as a Filipino.

1982 was such a good year in the local film industry. In a typical year, a very good film like RELASYON (Bernal) would have bagged best picture. But there was ORO (Gallaga), Batch '81(de Leon), Himala (Bernal), Moral (Abaya), Cain at Abel (Brocka). Even Viva's well-made, glossy komiks movies (Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan?, Eddie Garcia's Sinasamba Kita and films) and serious attempts like Mga Uod at Rosas (Romy Suzara), In Dis Korner (Brocka),  would have been nominated many times in a lean year.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 12:31 AM »
1982 was perhaps the pinnacle of the Second Golden Age of Philippine Cinema. Mike de Leon's BATCH 81 & Peque Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA were both vying for honors and stiff competition from the critics.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2006 at 12:43 AM by keating »