Author Topic: What is the best Laptop for streaming (divx,xvid and mkv1080p) hdmi and is CHEAP  (Read 4444 times)

Offline glockrecoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Here is the scenario...

I have an old desktop... I'm hooked up in downloading movies in the internet using bitorrent... The problem is this, my old desktop plays movies in acceptable manner but my old CRT monitor is so dark already and my CPU cannot play 720p or 1080p videos in youtube it's like a picture streaming... so I hesitantly downloaded BDrips of movies...

So my question is this... Do I really have a slow CPU or the problem is with my old CRT monitor?

My next scenario is... upgrade time...

I think the best way for me to have a high quality movie experience with my downloaded files is to play them with a newer LCDTV... I'm eyeing the 32ex300 sony or the 42c10 pana using the hdmi connection of a laptop with HDMI

My question is this... for example I bought a laptop that is not natively 1080p in its screen... can I play it as 1080p with my HDMI output full 1080p(if I decided to buy a fullHD LCDtv) does it have that option in the video card program?.. will it play flawlessly?

What do you think is the best laptop for this kind of scenario... I want it cheap but play 1080p movies flawlessly, I also want it small not that 15-18.3 inches big laptops...

My specs is only for excellently playing 1080p movies with my laptop and transferring it with no problems with an LCDtv, I don't want gaming (there's an xbox360 or a Ps3 for that) so I'm not fond of the most advanced video cards just plainly for movies...

What laptop do you recommend?

I think I have many questions... but it will surely help me in my quest to download and watch movies in a huge screen...

Thank you...

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010 at 08:04 PM by glockrecoil »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
Any laptop with a chipset that supports 5.1/7.1 sound and has an HDMI out.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
What's the CPU of your old desktop?  You need at least C2D class (or AMD equivalent) CPU for consistently smooth 720p playback.  Kakayanin pa rin somehow ng P4 ang 720p (hopeless for 1080p)  but reliability may not be there.

Even if a laptop has HDMI out, the max resolution is limited by the specs of your graphics circuit/card.  I have a Toshiba and a Vaio with on-board graphics and native/max resolution of 1365x768.  So whenever I connect my full HD plasma via HDMI, that's the max setting available for computing - the full HD plasma is forced to half its full resolution.  Fonts and icons look big - very pleasant from where I sit.

Regarding playback of high def contents, kahit na forced down to 1365x768 ang full HD HDTV, it would still be Ok to playback a 1080p content through your laptop.  It will fill out your screen just as nice and the screen settings are very controllable through the software player.  Ang main issue is whether your laptop has enough juice to handle 1080p mkv contents.  

I personally feel that anything smaller than 15.4 inches is a waste of money especially if you intend to WATCH high def stuff on your laptop.   The bigger the screen, the higher the cost performance - the firmer your muscles will become..hehehe.  Besides, unless you intend to carry a laptop everyday, everywhere, a 15 incher looks quite nice on your PC table, the dining table, on your bed, and while in the toilet.  

What's your budget?  You can get a Toshiba or Vaio for pretty good price from Amazon and have it shipped to Manila through some of the members here - or even JAC or if you love your country, via post mail and pay your importation taxes & duties...hehehe

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010 at 08:12 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
My old desktop processor is a p4 2.0ghz and an ati agp motherboard embedded video card... It cannot even play 720p videos (very slow fps)

Actually I'm not planning to use a laptop to watch movies I have downloaded...

I'm just planning to hook it up with an HDTV using hdmi... that's it... I want it small because I want it to be portable and it's for hdmi hookups anyway...

So my first priority is an hdmi connection, a huge hard drive for my downloaded files and a reasonable priced laptop that can play 1080p videos flawlessly... that's it...

I have read your post sir clon...

Based on what I read the video card has limits if you'll connect it to a capable full HD TV, is that correct?

So video card is the basis not the resolution of the built in laptop screen, is that correct?

What video card do you think will be applicable in playing 1920x1080p videos?
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010 at 08:51 AM by glockrecoil »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Just try to examine the specs of the laptop itself if it supports full HD resolution.  What usually happens is, the high-end BIG models would be the ones capable of that level of resolution.  In the 1st place, what is the point of having 1920x1080 resolution on a screen smaller than 16 inch?  On the other hand, laptops with discrete video cards may just allow such resolution settings - I dont know if they are available on models with small screens though.

But again, you dont need to set the output of the laptop to 1920x1080p to watch 1080p contents.  If you really want it, just buy a Mede8er or A200 and keep your old desktop for downloading.   

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95

But again, you dont need to set the output of the laptop to 1920x1080p to watch 1080p contents.  If you really want it, just buy a Mede8er or A200 and keep your old desktop for downloading.   

I agree with this. ;D and its a lot cheaper...

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Acer 4736z, with HDMI and Optical Out, can even output and convert audio to 96khz/24bit via digital. Enough said.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Even if a laptop has HDMI out, the max resolution is limited by the specs of your graphics circuit/card.  I have a Toshiba and a Vaio with on-board graphics and native/max resolution of 1365x768.  So whenever I connect my full HD plasma via HDMI, that's the max setting available for computing - the full HD plasma is forced to half its full resolution.  Fonts and icons look big - very pleasant from where I sit.

Many of the HDMI-equipped laptop today uses dedicated HD video (GMA HD, Radeon® HD 5470, nVidia GeForce 310M, etc) which is capable to support more than 1080p resolution when connected to an external device.

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Thanks to all those who reply... I have seen a laptop that is very near with my required specs...
It is an acer timeline 1825pt with hdmi... Sized only at 12 inch multitouchscreen and very thin... Core2duo intel4500hd with decent hd 320gb...
So an intel4500hd can source 1920x1080p full hdtv, correct?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thanks to all those who reply... I have seen a laptop that is very near with my required specs...
It is an acer timeline 1825pt with hdmi... Sized only at 12 inch multitouchscreen and very thin... Core2duo intel4500hd with decent hd 320gb...
So an intel4500hd can source 1920x1080p full hdtv, correct?

Edit

Open the Control Panel/Display/Settings of your laptop right now and tell us the maximum available resolution.

Oh sorry sa kakamadali kong magbasa, I thought nasa sa yo na ang laptop.

Anyways Intel4500HD is the same grade as my onboard graphics.  I doubt if you can set that to 1920x1080. Dapat ATI card or Nvidia card for laptop.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010 at 07:24 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Does anyone know if an intel 4500 hd video card can source 1920x1080p to a FullHDTV?

Especially those who has one and tried one on a Full HDtv...

Thanks...
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010 at 08:53 PM by glockrecoil »

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Edit

Open the Control Panel/Display/Settings of your laptop right now and tell us the maximum available resolution.

Oh sorry sa kakamadali kong magbasa, I thought nasa sa yo na ang laptop.

Anyways Intel4500HD is the same grade as my onboard graphics.  I doubt if you can set that to 1920x1080. Dapat ATI card or Nvidia card for laptop.

It can, the maximum resolution that GMA 4500HD supports is upto 2048x1536 at 75 Hz WHICH will then depend on the connected display panel.

The reason why you can only set it to 1365x768 is because that is the maximum resolution supported by the build-in LCD. You need to enable dual display and set resolution for each panel. If you have FULL HD LCD, then you can set the second display to 1920 x 1080 and 1365x768 in the primary laptop's LCD.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Even the old 2003 video cards such as Geforce FX5500, Geforce 6200, ATI 9600 and ATI 9250 support upto 2048 x 1536 video resolution which will depend on the connected device. Again, again, again and again, the video card may support higher resolution but IT CAN ONLY BE SHOWED if your connected display device supports the said resolution.

The build-in LCD of the laptop is limiting the resolution, but once connected to an LCD (either VGA or HDMI) which supports a higher resolution like FULL HD (1920x1080), then it will output higher resolution.

The higher video resolution selection/settings are NOT EVEN listed in the display resolution selection because it only shows the display resolution that the build-in LCD supports, but once connected to an external device, there will be another set of video resolution where appropriate.

And to answer the TS question if GMA 4500HD will support 1920 x 1080, the answer is YES.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 01:11 AM by Philander »

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
That's a huge thanks sir Philander...

Sir another question, intel4500HD can play full 1080p youtube, downloaded movies via mkv with no problems right?

Thanks again sir...

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That's a huge thanks sir Philander...

Sir another question, intel4500HD can play full 1080p youtube, downloaded movies via mkv with no problems right?

Thanks again sir...

Yes, but this is more of a processor's concern than a graphic card. Your Core2Duo is capable enough to play 1080p files.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 05:59 AM by Philander »

Offline stick

• Collector
  • Liked:
^no problem for 1080p playback....

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

It can, the maximum resolution that GMA 4500HD supports is upto 2048x1536 at 75 Hz WHICH will then depend on the connected display panel.

The reason why you can only set it to 1365x768 is because that is the maximum resolution supported by the build-in LCD. You need to enable dual display and set resolution for each panel. If you have FULL HD LCD, then you can set the second display to 1920 x 1080 and 1365x768 in the primary laptop's LCD.

Really?  What laptop model and full HD HDTV are you actually using right now?

I have turned my 2009 Toshiba C2D A505 and 2010 Core I3 Vaio (both having built-in Intel 4500) over and over and I couldnt possibly set the graphics to anything higher than 1365 x 768 at DUAL MONITOR mode..both Extended Desktop and Clone can be set to a max of 1365 x 768.   There are various settings below 1365x768 but nothing above.  My V20 Plasma and  LG LCD are both full HD.  I connected both via HDMI. Tell me what else I should do.  Hack the registry perhaps?

Could be model dependent or maker dependent.  Or this could be a laptop vs desktop thing - because all my desktops can easily be configured to dual monitor full HD res using the same full HD HDTVs (and even higher for the HD-CRT).  Prove me wrong.  Thanks.

But it doesnt matter if the resolution setting  (for computing) is reduced to half the full HD because once I fire KMP and play a 1080p content, or, mount a BD Iso and play through PowerDVD, it looks the same.

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 08:24 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Wow i'm still confused... haha...

Sir clon, what is kmp by the way? and is a BDiso downloadable in a bitorrent?

Thanks...

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Really?  What laptop model and full HD HDTV are you actually using right now?

I have turned my 2009 Toshiba C2D A505 and 2010 Core I3 Vaio (both having built-in Intel 4500) over and over and I couldnt possibly set the graphics to anything higher than 1365 x 768 at DUAL MONITOR mode..both Extended Desktop and Clone can be set to a max of 1365 x 768.   There are various settings below 1365x768 but nothing above.  My V20 Plasma and  LG LCD are both full HD.  I connected both via HDMI. Tell me what else I should do.  Hack the registry perhaps?

Could be model dependent or maker dependent.  Or this could be a laptop vs desktop thing - because all my desktops can easily be configured to dual monitor full HD res using the same full HD HDTVs (and even higher for the HD-CRT).  Prove me wrong.  Thanks.

But it doesnt matter if the resolution setting  (for computing) is reduced to half the full HD because once I fire KMP and play a 1080p content, or, mount a BD Iso and play through PowerDVD, it looks the same.

I used Acer 4736z and an older Acer 4720z connected to Panasonic 32C10 (not full HD though) and HannsG 22" 1680x1050 lcd monitor and it can output 1080p resolution which is 1920 x 1080 (already converted to 1080p video signal) I am certain that it will output native 1920 x 1080 in a Full HD TV. Even my old 34" CRT HDTV can accept 1920 x 1080 resolution, though it displayed in interlaced.

I have no idea why your mobile PC is limiting your resolution output, if you cannot modify PC resolution using the build-in graphics software or display resolution in windows, try to download and install PowerStrip.

"PowerStrip is a free program that provides access to hundreds of settings which let you to do things like: create the non-standard resolutions required by some HDTVs, change the gamma settings, and customize how colors are displayed for more accurate color."

Using powerstrip, you can enable wide video resolution selection and customization and refresh rate settings (even non standard) where your graphics software only shows several standard options.

And yes, GMA 4500HD supports is upto 2048x1536, read here:

GMA 950
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
http://download.intel.com/products/graphics/intel_graphics_guide.pdf

GMA 4500HD
http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/gma.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 09:00 AM by Philander »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Wow i'm still confused... haha...

Sir clon, what is kmp by the way? and is a BDiso downloadable in a bitorrent?

Thanks...

Para di ka malito...playback of 1080p content and BD ISO - yes doesnt matter what the resolution of your HDTV is basta keep your CPU at least C2D (or equivalent)

Can you actually set a full HDTV to full HD via HDMI on a laptop with built-in Intel4500HD?...SANA..hehehe..baka nga puede sa iba pero sa laptops ko ay hindi - but again, the Picture Quality of high def playback is the same...pag nag-PinoyDVD ka iba ang full HD and half resolution..hehehe.

KMP is arguably the best freeware for MKV playback.  Highly controllable, very versatile.

BD ISO downloadable..YES.   Playable sa gusto mong laptop?  YES but you need to install VIRTUALCLONEDRIVE for mounting (I cant do it on Daemon Tools) and at least PowerDVD Ultra Ver. 7 - mas magaang pa kesa 1080p MKV kase PowerDVD can easily make use of the raw power of your video card.  Again, PAREHO lang PQ ng high def regardless of the resolution settting na kaya ng laptop mo.  
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 08:53 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Clondalkin, try to do this with your toshiba mobile pc before using powerstrip... disable primary laptop LCD once connected to the Full HD LCD, and make the external Full HD LCD as your primary display, I think this can easily done using the standard display settings in windows and check if you can see more display resolution options.

If not, i think your mobile PC is limiting your option to what is really capable of, then this is the time to use PowerStrip.

HTH.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Clondalkin, try to do this with your toshiba mobile pc before using powerstrip... disable primary laptop LCD once connected to the Full HD LCD, and make the external Full HD LCD as your primary display, I think this can easily done using the standard display settings in windows and check if you can see more display resolution options.

If not, i think your mobile PC is limiting your option to what is really capable of, then this is the time to use PowerStrip.

Subukin ko pagbisita ko sa Manila sa July dahil sine-quester ng mag-ina ko yung dalawang laptop last week.   Yeah I should have tried disabling the primary laptop but pinapalayas ako lagi ng mag-ina dahil wala silang pakialam kahit anong setting ang lumabas...basta nakakanood ng high def smoothly and nakaka-PC lang lagi ng walang abala..hehehe.  Thanks.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Kung versatility, durability at Cheapy ang usapan, bakit ka mag -la-laptop???  ???

Pag HTPC at MKV ang usapan lalo na pati BluRay Rips, pang Desktop HTPC ang bagsak mo.  ;)

Unang una, sa Motherboard pa lang nang binibili mong Laptop, pwedeng compromised ka na, tandaan mo ang binabayaran mo sa laptop kaya mahal ay ang mobility nito, hindi ang full function nang processor at videocard, kung gusto mo nang mga iyun' eh' di pwede ang Acer Timeline, ka-ilangan iyun' mga re-ni-comeenda nila na high specs na may stand alone video card, talo ka agad sa mga 50K pina-kamura.  :P :-[

Pangalawa....pag na-nood ka dito, ma-init ang laptop, kung ka-ilangan mo nang mga matibay, mga pang Aleinware type ang bi-bilhin mo...mga 65 to 80K ito.  :P

Sa Desktop, AMD na Dual core at regular Video card Bluray rip, kayang mag-basa, mga 8-12K lang.  ;) ;D

Kung mobility nag usapan, mag buo ka nang naka microMoBo at dual core Atom, mga 15K lang.

Durable na, versatile pa, pag bumigay ang isang hardware, madaling palitan.

Sa Laptop, i-iyak ka nalang...OO nga pala pag nag-i-nit ang laptop, pati mga Hinges at Cover na-ba-basag, o' kaya nag-cra-crack. (iyun' nga top of the line na Ferrari nang Acer dati, bumibigay ang Keyboard covers eh').

Pero kung Laptop talaga nag nasa-isip mo, ang para sa akin, gumastos ka na nang mas mahal, iyun' may mga may stand alone memory na video card. 50K up yata ang mga presyo ngayon, mas mura na kaysa noon.
(pero sa desktop, pag 40K, kahit anong game at video editing kaya mo na)  ;) ;D

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
@alf
Kung video cards pag uusapan acer aspire 4745g core i3 320gb Nvidia310m hdmi(512mb dedicated mem) (priced at 32k)  or ung asus na 52kj or 42kj core i3 or i5 not sure 500gb hdmi(screen difference lang mas mababa sa 42kj) parehas silang ATI 5145 1gb dedicated mem (priced at 36k)... may mobility with screen pa ako... not bad if you'll consider that it is a laptop and it is mobile...

kaso mas mobile kasi ung timeline so i prefer to use it... actually mas mahal pa toh 37k ang price niya without dvdburner to compensate it's slimness 2inch lang yata...

the other problem will be reliability... can it hold my usage of almost 16 hours a day... after work, another several hours for watching my HD content...

So kung prices ang paguusapan hindi na siya nalalayo sa desktop with those specs... may screen ka pa at kahit saan puwede mo dalhin with the option of hooking it up with a huge HDTV...

reliabilty of long usage lang ang inaalala ko with using laptops...
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 at 07:07 PM by glockrecoil »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
16 hours of laptop usage for what?   ;)

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
typing, watching series, downloading content (it can take more than 16 hours I think) web browsing... that things...

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Ok if you are dead serious about 16 hours of daily marathon, careful pushing a  laptop-on-the-move (you highlighted "mobility" quite often) for torrent downloading.  Makers have incorporated a protection scheme on most new laptops because contiguous HDD access while on the move is hazardous on a sensitive 2.5" drive..if you're going to do heavy downloading, you'd better connect a 3.5" HDD externally on a laptop and keep it steady...in other words, you'd better give up mobility.

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
So you give me another option...

As I've said in my early post... the purpose of a laptop is for HDmovies directly in my room... I dont plan to watch movies with it... for connecting only... So I will buy an external 1TB usb HD for that purpose... that's it (I will not sacrifice the reliability because the load would be on the separate 3.5"1tb HD)... I have a huge amount of disk space in the internal HD and still my work files would still be intact and so many free space when mobility is needed...

And by the way... I will do all the downloading at night until the morning in my room... I will not bring my external HD because it's for my HDTV anyway...

So for example I downloaded files from bitorrent, and I will save it in the external HD the workload will be in my extHD am I correct based on your post earlier?..
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010 at 09:23 AM by glockrecoil »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
So you give me another option...
As I've said in my early post... the purpose of a laptop is for HDmovies directly in my room... I dont plan to watch movies with it... for connecting only... So I will buy an external 1TB usb HD for that purpose... that's it (I will not sacrifice the reliability because the load would be on the separate 3.5"1tb HD)... I have a huge amount of disk space in the internal HD and still my work files would still be intact and so many free space when mobility is needed...

And by the way... I will do all the downloading at night until the morning in my room... I will not bring my external HD because it's for my HDTV anyway...

So for example I downloaded files from bitorrent, and I will save it in the external HD the workload will be in my extHD am I correct based on your post earlier?..

Read Alfie's post again.  Kaso you want a laptop because you want a laptop diba?  Since ayaw mo ng malaki at powerful laptop, just consider the cheapest small laptop you can find in the market, and an NMT fixed to your HDTV.   Solved lahat ng requirements mo.  Your budget is like 40K or 50K is it?  Allot 10K for a nice A200 or even the 8K Mede8er.

Yes, ang ma-we wear & tear ay yung external 3.5" drive na di hamak na mas sturdy than a 2.5" one.

Mas safe ang externally connected drive sa torrent download-and-watch because you only get to power it when you need it.

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010 at 09:46 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline glockrecoil

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I think yung specs na inireply ko kay alfie ay enough na to compete with the high end desktop systems at a lower cost...

Pero sundin ko din toh...
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM by glockrecoil »