Author Topic: Panasonic DMP-BD85K Question  (Read 2563 times)

Offline amethyst_arr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Panasonic DMP-BD85K Question
« on: Aug 19, 2010 at 09:22 AM »
hi guys,

need your help. i'm a newbie with blurays and I'm planning to buy this model.

(1) I have an old denion receiver, avr 1907. will i be able to use the digital audio output of this player with my avr? will I be able to enjoy Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD formats?

(2) if i buy a bluray player with HDMI ver1.4, will that work with my panasonic pv8?

thanks in advance.

andrei

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Re: Panasonic DMP-BD85K Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM »
That's what I did to may aging Yamaha receiver,
it doesn't have any built in Dolby Decoder then (14 years old)
but has the 6 channel analog output, so I paired it with my aging
Denon AVD2000 Dolby Digital Decoder, it worked well with those Dolby Digital Tracks,
but doesn't have the capability to decode the DTS track of the new DVDs and BD titles,
so what I did was bought the Panasonic DMP-BD80, the older version of the unit that you are planning to get,
luckily, the AVD2000 has a 6 channel analog input, wherein I plugged the 6 channel analog output
of the BD80, now I am enjoying the DTS track encoded in most BD titles, it may downcoded to 5.1
but I really don't mind, its better SQ compared from the sound coming out of the TV (stereo) only,..

Just be sure that the AVR has an 6 channel analog input that can connect to the 6 channel analog out of the BD player, then you set to go...

Offline amethyst_arr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM »
thanks, sir.

but if i'm not after the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD formats, can i connect the digital audio output of the bd player to the digital audio input of my old receiver and enjoy "normal" dolby and dts surround?

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2010 at 04:41 PM »
thanks, sir.

but if i'm not after the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD formats, can i connect the digital audio output of the bd player to the digital audio input of my old receiver and enjoy "normal" dolby and dts surround?

Yes, I am of course assuming that your receiver has a built in DD or DTS decoder...

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 02:05 PM »
I have this Panasonic BD85K player too. My problem is my AVR has 6.1 ch analog inputs only, while the player has 7.1 analog outputs. Would it be safe to use a Y-cable adaptor to feed the Left and Right Back Surround Channel of the player to a single Back-surround channel input of the receiver? I am after the new DTS-HD and Dolby True HD encoding of the player at analog channels. I'm not yet ready to buy a new 7.1 Ch receiver based on priority. 

Hope to hear some technical advice from you guys...Thanks in advance. 

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 09:55 AM »
LETOR,
Where did you buy your Panasonic BD85k?
Getting 7.1 lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding from a Bluray player to an analog 5.1 system is what I'm after, and matrixing the side and rear channels, similar to what you've mentioned. I don't know exactly how to go about using a y-splitter-- I'm still trying to find out about it. And am not sure, if any, what the side effects are. Have you tried this yet on the 2 rear channels? I'll post as soon as I find something. Worst case, I'll probably just eliminate the interconnects on the rear channels and make do with the side channels. Thanks!   

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM »
Sorry for the late reply coz I just got back to the site.

I ordered my BD-85K at Amazon. Have it delivered to my brother's place in LA and brought home by a relative. Still, blu-ray players in the US is very affordable. Pricing of blu-ray players sold in the Philippines is overkill. My unit's equivalent cost in pesos is about 8T only. There are even players that cost $100 only from popular brands and equivalent pricing here of the same brand and model is 3X to 4X more higher.

After thorough check of my receivers analog inputs, I found that its only 5.1 ch. My receiver's 6.1 feature can only be realized through digital connection. Since I have no choice, I leave the two analog output for rear surround channels of the player (L & R supposedly that made up the 6th & 7th ch) un-connected. With this option, I will still be able to use the lossless audio of the player. After all most program materials are only 5.1 channels.  In my blu-ray collection, I have only one or two disc with 7.1 ch encoding and all the rest are 5.1 ch with either dts-HD or Dolby True HD encoding or both.    
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2010 at 08:17 AM by LETOR »

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 07:23 AM »
If you refer to page 35 of the manual, you'll see that dolby truehd and dts he are mapped accordingly if bitstream is selected.