Author Topic: Region Free BLU-RAY Player  (Read 8533 times)

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
Region Free BLU-RAY Player
« on: Oct 29, 2010 at 04:15 PM »
Mga SIRS, is there such thing as a region-free BLU-RAY Player? If there is any what are the brands & model?  :)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Region Free BLU-RAY Player
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 07:20 PM »
THERE is but is not being made by the big-name brands. Try the MOMITSU 799, which sells in the vicinity of P13,000 and could only be specially-ordered from ANYA here, from Amazon US. The Momitsu will go neck to neck with Blu Ray image resolution against any marquee name models, and the best ever merit about it is the ALL-REGION BD proviso. When the Momitsu 799 arrives at your doorstep, it would turn down your B & C BDs - thats a given. But there's a HACK coding which breaks the regional pain-in-the-rectum -- thats the perennial oppression that these Westerners imposes on the end-user. The hack smashes the barrier and lets you buy and view any BDs from all over the world. The only thing is its only one region at a time, that means if you play a Region A after playing your rare & valuable Region B's -- you had to revert the unit with another hack code, and so on and so forth. For DVDs, its automatic all-region. If you wanted another unit which is versatile, there's the SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE BD5004, cheaper than the Momitsu but not as cinematic and as richly-colored in image performance. The Sherwood with one simple hack would welcome everything. The BD5004 sells for around P10,000. Apart from these two, there is no other name that makes an all-region BD, they're all sheep, too afraid and comfortable to rock the boat and be a technical renegade.....

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 09:44 AM »
Thanks very much for the INFO. Well it's a little bit complicated as you explained there , I'll just stick to my normal player ;D  Too bad I just cant play Region B's BLU-RAYS  :-\

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 09:50 AM »
My Panasonic DMP-BD30 is Region free for DVDs and BLu-rays..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM »
My Panasonic DMP-BD30 is Region free for DVDs and BLu-rays..  ;D ;D ;D
Wow Doc thats very nice :) I bought BD SB TEKEN (region B lock) it will arrive today, Hopefully it will play in my player (SONY BDP-S550) ::)  if not display purposes nalang  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ALICE GO

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 08:13 PM »
YES, I do remember the BD30. I once contemplated getting it as my first ever Blu Ray player around 2008. But even that same year, the BD30 seemed already "ancient" to ever merit serious consideration. I recall that a grey market fellow was offering it on an auction for many seasons but couldn't find at that time a serious buyer who wants to make the quantum leap from standard to high def. He stated to me that the BD30 is among the very last BD units that is certifiably made in Japan. Hence even British tech critics noticed the model's understated strength. What do we make then of the early BDs? It is that most of them have a proviso to be Region-free, and that most have not yet been subcontracted to be made by the Chinese - but reassuringly made in Japan.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010 at 08:16 PM by ALICE GO »

Offline Armz316

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 02:06 PM »

What is your BD player Ms. Alice? if you don't mind my asking. Is it region free?   :) Thanks

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 02:12 PM »
I think there are lots of Multi-Region BD player now in amazon... many Big Brands but a bit expensive for me for a player for now...  ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline ALICE GO

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 04:52 PM »
My pal ARMZ: BD is tough to crack, the format is still on its sophomore lifestage hence very few techheads is taking the trouble to literally DEMOLISH the Regional barrier. Hence napilitan ako na gumamit ng separate units for Region A and B. For A's, my savings were almost wiped out getting the Panasonic BD35, then the LG 570 (from Anya here), then the Samsung 6900 (from an auction site, a refurbished model thats slightly used). For B's, a Momitsu 799 and Sherwood 5004(both from Anya too). The last two models are certifiably switchable to Regions A & B, but setting it at B and then reverting to A or vice-versa - is not that child's-play easy to do. Thats why I made them as permanent B player.

I'll share for you my terse Picture evaluation for each - both for BD and DVD resolution - which still greatly matters to me. To my standard the Samsung gives the most cinematic picture due to its creamy-smooth resolution and well-saturated colors - but buyers beware, its playback is not 100% reliable. It gives to an irritating extent some weird, unpredictable behavior. However, DVD performance is very good, a rarity for 99% of BD players to be found in the Philippine market, where DVD Scaling are all stinkers. I'd rate it with the grade of 85 with the HQV Realta/DVDO-equipped Denon 5910 as the pinnacle 98%.  

Next from Samsung is the LG 570, this is the best unit for me in terms of playback reliability, overall Picture Resolution and for its Shadow Detail. Its like one could make out more details and nuances from the LG, and retaining the cinematic "grain" of the film at hand. DVD is inferior, unsatisfying.

The Panasonic BD35 has outgrown its prestige which is crowned on it way back in 2008. It still gives a satisfying Picture mainly for the eyes of first-time users, but when compared side by side with the current Samsungs or LGs, the BD35 could not extract as much detail and color-saturation, and it is choosy (will show the Menu for an all-Regioner BD from, say Australia or Germany, but will not present the contents - thats the crazed symptom of this model). DVD playback is inferior, more of an afterthought.

For a universal BD unit, nothing would beat the Momitsu, it'll accept anything as long as you could revert back and forth the various Regions with a hack code. But the Picture has a too-high Contrast texture, its razor-sharp indeed and glowingly so, but I find that quality as LCD-oriented, meaning highly digital-looking. DVD "competitively" performs, I'll give it a grade of 79. Gives a satisfying picture that only the most demanding Video perfectionist would complain about.

The Sherwood has a dull color palette, has a "harsh" Picture texture, and is the most quirky amongst our units. It will waste your time for as much as 30 minutes trying to play Region B's, for it has inferior cognition of Region B's. Unit is very flimsy, is not made for through-thick & thin durability. Its Navigation system is uncannily similar to that of the photos posted here for the CD-R King BD player (chances are both models were subcontracted from the same Chinese manufacturer, using a Mediatek-based BD assembly). DVD is inferior through & through.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011 at 07:04 PM by ALICE GO »

Offline mikealcantara

• Trade Count: (+448)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:56 PM »
Bought a Bauhn ABD-027 bluray player from pinoydvd member caca.
Player is an Australian model, dvd playback is set for all regions while bluray playback
is for Region B. I was able to find a bluray hack for multi-region (A,B,C) playback.
All you have to do is open the disc tray, then punch setup at the remote
the 9113. A configure menu will appear wherein you can set the machine to
play A, B or C!!  I was able to watch a Region A disc last night.  It defaults  back to Region B when you power down the player, but the configure menu is already at menu list. There's no need to punch codes, all you have to do is press configure menu, then press what region bluray you prefer. It's so easy!!:)

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011 at 03:28 PM »
Bought a Bauhn ABD-027 bluray player from pinoydvd member caca.
Player is an Australian model, dvd playback is set for all regions while bluray playback
is for Region B. I was able to find a bluray hack for multi-region (A,B,C) playback.
All you have to do is open the disc tray, then punch setup at the remote
the 9113. A configure menu will appear wherein you can set the machine to
play A, B or C!!  I was able to watch a Region A disc last night.  It defaults  back to Region B when you power down the player, but the configure menu is already at menu list. There's no need to punch codes, all you have to do is press configure menu, then press what region bluray you prefer. It's so easy!!:)
Wow this is great :)

Offline Armz316

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011 at 08:52 PM »
My pal ARMZ: BD is tough to crack, the format is still on its sophomore lifestage hence very few techheads is taking the trouble to literally DEMOLISH the Regional barrier. Hence napilitan ako na gumamit ng separate units for Region A and B. For A's, my savings were almost wiped out getting the Panasonic BD35, then the LG 570 (from Anya here), then the Samsung 6900 (from an auction site, a refurbished model thats slightly used). For B's, a Momitsu 799 and Sherwood 5004(both from Anya too). The last two models are certifiably switchable to Regions A & B, but setting it at B and then reverting to A or vice-versa - is not that child's-play easy to do. Thats why I made them as permanent B player.

I'll share for you my terse Picture evaluation for each - both for BD and DVD resolution - which still greatly matters to me. To my standard the Samsung gives the most cinematic picture due to its creamy-smooth resolution and well-saturated colors - but buyers beware, its playback is not 100% reliable. It gives to an irritating extent some weird, unpredictable behavior. However, DVD performance is very good, a rarity for 99% of BD players to be found in the Philippine market, where DVD Scaling are all stinkers. I'd rate it with the grade of 85 with the HQV Realta/DVDO-equipped Denon 5910 as the pinnacle 98%.  

Next from Samsung is the LG 570, this is the best unit for me in terms of playback reliability, overall Picture Resolution and for its Shadow Detail. Its like one could make out more details and nuances from the LG, and retaining the cinematic "grain" of the film at hand. DVD is inferior, unsatisfying.

The Panasonic BD35 has outgrown its prestige which is crowned on it way back in 2008. It still gives a satisfying Picture mainly for the eyes of first-time users, but when compared side by side with the current Samsungs or LGs, the BD35 could not extract as much detail and color-saturation, and it is choosy (will show the Menu for an all-Regioner BD from, say Australia or Germany, but will not present the contents - thats the crazed symptom of this model). DVD playback is inferior, more of an afterthought.

For a universal BD unit, nothing would beat the Momitsu, it'll accept anything as long as you could revert back and forth the various Regions with a hack code. But the Picture has a too-high Contrast texture, its razor-sharp indeed and glowingly so, but I find that quality as LCD-oriented, meaning highly digital-looking. DVD "competitively" performs, I'll give it a grade of 79. Gives a satisfying picture that only the most demanding Video perfectionist would complain about.

The Sherwood has a dull color palette, has a "harsh" Picture texture, and is the most quirky amongst our units. It will waste your time for as much as 30 minutes trying to play Region B's, for it has inferior cognition of Region B's. Unit is very flimsy, is not made for through-thick & thin durability. Its Navigation system is uncannily similar to that of the photos posted here for the CD-R King BD player (chances are both models were subcontracted from the same Chinese manufacturer, using a Mediatek-based BD assembly). DVD is inferior through & through.

Thank you very much for answering my question ma'am. :) I learned a lot. from you.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011 at 06:38 PM »
I just read that the SONY BDP-S370 & BDP-S470 are multi region players,  could anybody justify this? Maybe someone here in PDVD has these units. TIA  :)

Offline Armz316

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011 at 09:59 PM »
I just read that the SONY BDP-S370 & BDP-S470 are multi region players,  could anybody justify this? Maybe someone here in PDVD has these units. TIA  :)

Hello Bro. i'm not sure about these 2 models you mentioned Sir. But I happen to just have the Sony BDP-S460 w/c is just a model in between the 2. it plays region A for bd and a few region 3 since this player is region 1.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
Hello Bro. i'm not sure about these 2 models you mentioned Sir. But I happen to just have the Sony BDP-S460 w/c is just a model in between the 2. it plays region A for bd and a few region 3 since this player is region 1.
Ok thanks for the tip, as I've read in some reviews the 470 & 570 are multi region player, the only way to know this is to own 1  ;D

Offline vhinx

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Guru
  • Power BASS Sound'z!...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2011 at 08:58 PM »
Bro Kenneth, Per told me by Philips (Formerly NXP Semicon company) personnel at RnD group that they all DVD & BDP players were all region free... :)
Vintagenthusiast!... Sansui-Pioneer-Marantz-Paradigm

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2011 at 03:38 PM »
Bro Kenneth, Per told me by Philips (Formerly NXP Semicon company) personnel at RnD group that they all DVD & BDP players were all region free... :)
Hi there vhinx, I saw one also in the marketplace that an LG BDP is posted & has multi-region capabilities kaso lang taas yung price. How I wish that the CDR King BDP could be hacked so it could also be multi-region.
Some say thats why others are expensive coz Blu-Ray multi-region players needs a particular lens so it could worked, not like our DVD players before that it could easily be opened w/ just a simple code breaking from the remote control :)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM »
Some say thats why others are expensive coz Blu-Ray multi-region players needs a particular lens so it could worked, not like our DVD players before ...

I finally got my S900 Bluray/NMT combo to flip between region A,B,C. sa remote naman ang diskarte nya [Menu] + [1]/[2]/[3] for Region A/B/C. Kelangan lang select mo before start ang playback, otherwise you will get the region prompt, good side is it plays all my BDMV and BD discs.

its a combo NMT/Bluray pero specific yung drive nya for the unit. I tried the liteon BDROM ala nagbabasa pero ayaw magplayback. I ended up buying the Bluray drive loader from Egreat. Mukang di nga siya ganong kadali.

toy

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2011 at 08:43 AM »
I finally got my S900 Bluray/NMT combo to flip between region A,B,C. sa remote naman ang diskarte nya [Menu] + [1]/[2]/[3] for Region A/B/C. Kelangan lang select mo before start ang playback, otherwise you will get the region prompt, good side is it plays all my BDMV and BD discs.

its a combo NMT/Bluray pero specific yung drive nya for the unit. I tried the liteon BDROM ala nagbabasa pero ayaw magplayback. I ended up buying the Bluray drive loader from Egreat. Mukang di nga siya ganong kadali.

Wow thats nice Sir. I also have a friend he just uses he's PS3 & automatically plays any BD regions naka envy talaga, too bad really coz I'm not into gaming :)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2011 at 08:51 AM »
Wow thats nice Sir. I also have a friend he just uses he's PS3 & automatically plays any BD regions naka envy talaga, too bad really coz I'm not into gaming :)

Ang wish ko sa NMT / BD Player combo,sana Pede full rip from bdrom to a disk file, that wOuld be so cool!
toy