Author Topic: 2010 Xmas Flat Panels picks (Done! Merry Xmas)  (Read 35153 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: 2010 Xmas Flat Panels picks
« Reply #120 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM »

Hello Carlo,

Might be getting a Sony EX710 after a few months of waiting. The only review I saw on it said that it was better than the 6 series Samsung in terms of input lag for video games.

Might get the 46" version. Any input or experience with either?

Thanks!

It's really hard for me to do a more substantial comparison for game input lag, but the Sammy 6 is already a very good unit for gaming, so if the X710 is better in the area of input lag, then we have a winner in the 710!

One more thing I prefer the colors of the 710 over the series 6 of Sammy, even though the later already has good colors.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM »
Have you been able to compare them side by side? Do you feel, price not being an issue, there is a substantial PQ difference between a Samsung brand LED equivalent and the Sony?

There should be difference.  There always has been because the video engines are totally different. Sony relies on Samsung or Sharp for panels alone (because they were late in joining the LCD bandwagon, thus it would be too uneconomical for them to manufacture their own panels) but they still develop their own video engine that gives identitiy to their imagery.  Ibang-iba ang kulay between Sonys and Sharps and Toshibas.  "Substantial" or not is totally subjective.  For instance, Sharp remains the number one LCD maker in Japan because of its more accurate rendition of  reds and whites...medyo magenta daw ang Sony and medyo ma-yellow ang puti -if you look very closely, the claims appear to be true, but would everyone really mind those color saturation differences at any cost?  

I can check the 710 and the 700 tonight.  According to feedback by the Japanese, the difference in image quality is quite apparent. We'll see.  Interesting to note the differences in opinion between the Japanese and AVS which only prove further that appreciation of image quality is very subjective indeed.  The only thing clear at the moment, the 710's report card is not as good as that of the 700 in Japan, or perhaps due to tricky marketing/pricing strategies, the 710 might be competing against its badder siblings like the HX or NX series.

BTW, Samsung has no market share in Japan in terms of HDTVs.  That's how closed and discriminating this market is (parang car business).  The Korean brands are selling only PC monitors here.  I think the situation is the same in Korea too pero baliktad naman.

It's not surprising for big LCD players to release 2x a year sa dami ng competition.  They normally do that in spring, summer or autumn especially for entry-level to mid-class models, hence the sched of releases of the 700 and 710 are consistent with market norms.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Heartbreak Kid

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: 2010 Xmas Flat Panels picks (Q&A Time!)
« Reply #122 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 02:48 PM »
@Heartbreak Kid
Plasma is still the best for cable T.V

sir carlo777 and other expert - do you think it's worthy to replace my 37ld460 with panasonic TH-P42X20? i'll use this mostly for cable viewing and movies.

thanks

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 05:14 PM »
sir carlo777 and other expert - do you think it's worthy to replace my 37ld460 with panasonic TH-P42X20? i'll use this mostly for cable viewing and movies.
thanks

isn't the 460 still new and ya want to upgrade na? i remember my hubby (carlo777) asking a similar question just under a month from his samsung r8 purchase...and it became a never ending quest! i'm hoping he stops with the v20 already :) :) :)
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #124 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 07:48 PM »
Hi Sir, thank you for taking time in posting your opinion on this unit :)

Oh one more thing, there's two of us who bought the unit. He said he also visits here anyway i dont know him pero mukang namang pareho kami nang mata as we are both comparing it to other LCD's there like samsung, Toshiba and Sony.. and we both ended up getting the Pana U20
Walang Setup

Offline Hero33

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 04:06 AM »
There should be difference.  There always has been because the video engines are totally different. Sony relies on Samsung or Sharp for panels alone (because they were late in joining the LCD bandwagon, thus it would be too uneconomical for them to manufacture their own panels) but they still develop their own video engine that gives identitiy to their imagery.  Ibang-iba ang kulay between Sonys and Sharps and Toshibas.  "Substantial" or not is totally subjective.  For instance, Sharp remains the number one LCD maker in Japan because of its more accurate rendition of  reds and whites...medyo magenta daw ang Sony and medyo ma-yellow ang puti -if you look very closely, the claims appear to be true, but would everyone really mind those color saturation differences at any cost?  

I can check the 710 and the 700 tonight.  According to feedback by the Japanese, the difference in image quality is quite apparent. We'll see.  Interesting to note the differences in opinion between the Japanese and AVS which only prove further that appreciation of image quality is very subjective indeed.  The only thing clear at the moment, the 710's report card is not as good as that of the 700 in Japan, or perhaps due to tricky marketing/pricing strategies, the 710 might be competing against its badder siblings like the HX or NX series.

BTW, Samsung has no market share in Japan in terms of HDTVs.  That's how closed and discriminating this market is (parang car business).  The Korean brands are selling only PC monitors here.  I think the situation is the same in Korea too pero baliktad naman.

It's not surprising for big LCD players to release 2x a year sa dami ng competition.  They normally do that in spring, summer or autumn especially for entry-level to mid-class models, hence the sched of releases of the 700 and 710 are consistent with market norms.

I look forward to your comparison.

TV's aside, with all respect to any sensitivities, it doesn't surprise me that a Korean panel will get a less than favourable review compared to a Japanese panel by a Japanese reviewer. Just an observation, but the same, in reverse, happens in Korea. They don't review Japanese items or give them low marks.

AVS would seem to be a bit more neutral forum, people there are just looking for the best picture quality vis-a-vis value for money. PQ appreciation bias aside that is.

Offline Heartbreak Kid

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 04:36 AM »

thanks
isn't the 460 still new and ya want to upgrade na? i remember my hubby (carlo777) asking a similar question just under a month from his samsung r8 purchase...and it became a never ending quest! i'm hoping he stops with the v20 already :) :) :)
yes madame it's relatively new pa (under a month). kaya lang i'd like to try plasma sana (42in pa) kung malaki ba talaga diff for movies and cable viewing. it's like which is better 42in plasma hd ready vs 37in lcd full hd? never hard a chance to try plasma at home so tanong-tanong muna sa expert baka naman hindi naman ganun ka-worthy to upgrade, sayang effort  :) anyways, thanks for the response.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 08:31 AM »
EX700 vs EX710 update

Here are what I gathered and observed while standing for an hour at the Sony booth in Bic Camera Ginza.

Panel maker:  As for the Japanese EX700, the panel is supplied by Sharp.  The 710 is not supplied by Samsung but by AUO (Taiwan).  Samsung supplies the panels for the higher-end Sonys including the 3D Bravias.  As for the reason for the change of supplier, well first of all, what I could gather at the booth should be considered as rumor at best but what the Sony store consultant said was intriguing – that although Sharp supplies them the panels as per agreed specs, and Sharp is consistently the number one LCD maker in Japan, Sharp seems to reserve their best products for Sharp’s own use (hehehe).  I guess that statement covers most conceivable problems that Sony could have faced.  As regards the overseas market, it is possible that Sony may be mixing panel makers here and there depending on level of supply and pricing levels.

At the moment, the 710 is available up to 40 inch only in Tokyo.  The 46 and 52 inchers are still model 700.  I can only guess that AUO can’t achieve the same level of yield as Sharp when it comes to bigger panels, or, perhaps there is a concern if a Sharp or a Samsung is not used for bigger models with LED-backlighting, specifically for the Japanese market, while it would be OK to use AUO overseas.   “Stripping down” of overseas models to save on cost is a common practice by giant consumer electronic Japanese manufacturers but your guess is as good as mine.

Image Quality:   Those terrible comments on the 710 are most true on the 32 inch model. For whatever reason, even though the maker of the 32 inch and the 40 inch is supposed to be the same AUO, the panels per se don’t appear to be of the same quality.   The 32 inch panel is practically like a souped-up PC monitor with terrible viewing angle and rather dark image even when viewed straight front.   No good desu ne.

Comparing the images of the 40 inch models is more interesting.  The blacks and whites of the 700 are definitely stronger, but, the gradations in between appear to be finer on the 710.  The contrast and sharpness of the 700 are striking while that of 710 is relatively subdued.  However, when viewed as a whole, the 710 colors appear more natural – especially the skin tones and the yellows.  So for those who actually hate aggressive contrast, the 710 would be more pleasing on the eyes.  The 710 image is not as subdued as that of plasma, but gentle enough to be readily noticed when viewed beside the 700.  Hence I think that if you are a big fan of movies or dark room viewing, the 710 would be great, but if you like high def TV variety shows or morning shows, then the 700 would be better.

Unfortunately, the 710 really exhibits some issues when it comes to angle of viewing.  Although not as dim as the 32-inch gets, the 40-inch is clearly weaker than any other Sony model when viewed at an angle greater than 45 degrees.  The 710 gets darker and it loses more contrast.   On its own, the degradation of contrast and brightness is not that bad and only became more apparent because the models around it, including the 700, are able to maintain better images when viewed beyond a certain angle from the front.  The swiveling pedestal that is supplied with the 710 should help somehow.  Besides that, does anyone really watch TVs at obtuse angles? (actually I do when I eat at the dining area..but mine is a plasma..hehehe)

With regard to reported problems of clouding or other defects on the 700, well those kinds of problems cannot possibly be observed or simulated in demo booths.

Other Specs:  Practically the same; the latest Bravia 3 Engine, LED backlighting, 120hz Tru-Motion, (pathetic) built-in speaker system, gimmicky internet portal, quantity and types of connectivity, etc.   The 10% reduction in frame size is not even that dramatic when actually seen.  The 30% reduction in power consumption applies only on the 32 inch model (which totally suck) so better to forget about that.  In fact, the power consumption of the 40 inch 710 is 2W higher at 114W owing to the change in panel make.

In the end, and if you are not conscious of Sony’s panel supplier and angle of view, it boils down mainly to whether you prefer a striking LCD image or a slightly subdued one.  On their own, the respective images of the 700 and 710 look really nice anyways - well not as nice as the HX models but that is not surprising at all.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010 at 08:55 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Hero33

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM »

Clondalkin,

Thanks for the on-the-street review! Interesting to hear something straight from Japan.

It seems strange that Sony has not released the 46" 710 in Japan but has in other parts of Asia, Europe and America.

From what I gathered, there are stocks roaming around America, Asia and Europe of 46" 710s using the Samsung Panel while others use the AUO.

I'm getting all my info from a forum thread I read over the past few weeks on the AVS place while researching my buy :D

Well, for a bit above three thousand US dollars, the EX710 will have to do for me. I really hope I get lucky with the panel lottery of the 710.

Hmm, if you had to choose based on picture picture quality, among the three, which would you choose, a 6 series Samsung, a Sony EX400 or a Sony EX710?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM by Hero33 »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM »
It seems strange that Sony has not released the 46" 710 in Japan but has in other parts of Asia, Europe and America.

From what I gathered, there are stocks roaming around America, Asia and Europe of 46" 710s using the Samsung Panel while others use the AUO.

I'm getting all my info from a forum thread I read over the past few weeks on the AVS place while researching my buy :D

Well, for a bit above three thousand US dollars, the EX710 will have to do for me. I really hope I get lucky with the panel lottery of the 710.

Hmm, if you had to choose based on picture picture quality, among the three, which would you choose, a 6 series Samsung, a Sony EX400 or a Sony EX710?

Makes sense to me the mixture of Samsung and AUO big panels for the overseas market.  Nakakainis man, but ganoon talaga ka-shrewd ang Sony and other LCD makers.  Kung saan mura yung panel and saan stable ang supply that can meet their basic specs, binabawi nalang by tweaking the video engine.

May mas maitim na binabalak ang Sony sa Japanese market.  Kasi they are pricing the premiere HX series and also the other 3D-ready LX series not that far from the EX700/710.   So for those interested in TVs from 40 inch and above, the 3D Bravias are within reasonable reach.  The HX series is particular is absolutely amazing in terms of image quality (I am a plasma fanboi but those premiere models of Sony and Sharp and Toshiba are EXCELLENT! - wala akong masabi except - maganda rin talaga but I still prefer a plasma hahaha.) and really sells well in this market - especially the 40HX800 - that is the bestselling LCD model from 40 inch at the moment.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the EX700/710 is actually competing with its better siblings in Japan - thus no need to put so much effort in upgrading the standard series for bigger panels.

Havent seen a 6 Series Samsung in action but I suppose it's one of those models with glossy panel and LED backlighting?  EX400 is not available in Tokyo but EX500 with conventional backlighting is.  But then whatever the backlighting tech is, kung alin talaga maganda sa tingin mo, yun ang bilhin mo.  Just get the best TV that would fit your budget and you wouldnt want to replace in about 3-5 years.

If your budget is USD3K, better check the HX or LX models too dahil baka pasok sa budget.  Those models produce exceptional 2D image quality and 240Hz Tru Motion is too cool.  Bonus mo nalang yung 3D function.   ;)  The very best 2D HDTVs are the 3D HDTVs.   ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 01:27 PM »

thanks

That's a quick upgrade! Anyway, you'll notice that plasma will give you better colors for both Cable and DVD, but I'm not saying it's going to be runways apart. Do note that if your eyes are accustomed to LCDs you may find plasma to be not as "bright" but it's ok, being brighter sometimes does not mean it's better.

Also consider that plasma has a very quick response time, so that means you'll have almost no blurs during fast action scenes. My only gripe with plasma now is the fact that it still can't play 24p without flickers..

Offline Hero33

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 02:11 PM »
Makes sense to me the mixture of Samsung and AUO big panels for the overseas market.  Nakakainis man, but ganoon talaga ka-shrewd ang Sony and other LCD makers.  Kung saan mura yung panel and saan stable ang supply that can meet their basic specs, binabawi nalang by tweaking the video engine.

May mas maitim na binabalak ang Sony sa Japanese market.  Kasi they are pricing the premiere HX series and also the other 3D-ready LX series not that far from the EX700/710.   So for those interested in TVs from 40 inch and above, the 3D Bravias are within reasonable reach.  The HX series is particular is absolutely amazing in terms of image quality (I am a plasma fanboi but those premiere models of Sony and Sharp and Toshiba are EXCELLENT! - wala akong masabi except - maganda rin talaga but I still prefer a plasma hahaha.) and really sells well in this market - especially the 40HX800 - that is the bestselling LCD model from 40 inch at the moment.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the EX700/710 is actually competing with its better siblings in Japan - thus no need to put so much effort in upgrading the standard series for bigger panels.

Havent seen a 6 Series Samsung in action but I suppose it's one of those models with glossy panel and LED backlighting?  EX400 is not available in Tokyo but EX500 with conventional backlighting is.  But then whatever the backlighting tech is, kung alin talaga maganda sa tingin mo, yun ang bilhin mo.  Just get the best TV that would fit your budget and you wouldnt want to replace in about 3-5 years.

If your budget is USD3K, better check the HX or LX models too dahil baka pasok sa budget.  Those models produce exceptional 2D image quality and 240Hz Tru Motion is too cool.  Bonus mo nalang yung 3D function.   ;)  The very best 2D HDTVs are the 3D HDTVs.   ;)

I thought about considering the HX or LX when a friend brought it up on facebook. Then I realized they don't offer the HX models here. They do have NX models, but the price points are pretty far apart.

The EX710 goes for about USD3,500 plus or minus while the 46" NX costs about 4,500. Too much of a stretch. I just want to jump from SD to HD. LOL

I'd have an HX imported if the warranty would be respected here.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 07:13 PM »
Common and redundant questions from PMs:

1)How can a Panasonic X20 (HD ready TV) be better than some FULLHD LCD?

-This has been said a numer of times, and I'll just do a re-post

"There are three things we have to consider when we buy a T.V

1)Contrast Ratio
2)Color Accuracy/Reproduction/Saturation
3)Resolution

Do note that in the first 2 areas (Contrast/Color) the X20 is ahead of xxx. Only in the area of resolution does xxx gain ground. For movies, contrast and color will play a pivotal role in the performance department, only in digital games will resolution take precedent over the later.

That's the reason why Plasma is usually the format of choice of Movie/Film enthusiast. I'm not saying we diss the xxx as the X20 has it's own issues like being reflective and drawing more power.

Ultimately, we have to see for ourselves which format suits our taste."

More later...

Offline Tobatz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Dec 16, 2010 at 06:08 PM »
I have question  :)

Between the LG 32LD460 and the Samsung LA32C550, which is preferred? I heard LG's LD series is notorious for its backlight bleed issue and Samsung also has that green tint/screen thing suddenly cropping up (and kind of expensive as well).

How prevalent are these issues?

Mga sirs,
Also, torn between LG 32LD460 and Samsung LA32C550. Please help review & compare these units.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Dec 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
^ Thanks for the insight, dude. I have my sights set on the Samsung now. The big draw of the LG was its cheaper price but I think I'm more comfortable with my decision at this point.

Sure, do let us know what you decided on.

@everybody

Just a few more days and Christmas is here! I'd really appreciate it, if you post pics of your Christmas buys, does not matter whether you followed the advises given here or not.

I love pictures of new T.Vs and their boxes along with happy/satisfied comments!
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM »

@everybody

Just a few more days and Christmas is here! I'd really appreciate it, if you post pics of your Christmas buys, does not matter whether you followed the advises given here or not.

I love pictures of new T.Vs and their boxes along with happy/satisfied comments!

sir Carlo,
for your appreciation... followed your advice of Panny 42X20...

loving it...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Dec 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM »

sir Carlo,
for your appreciation... followed your advice of Panny 42X20...

loving it...

Great! For settings the most natural is "Cinema" set to "Warm".

:)
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #137 on: Dec 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM »

omg !! carlo why did you share my secret calibrated settings  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline manholed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Dec 18, 2010 at 09:20 PM »

Im a two day old pana 42x20v user..thanks to this board. And to sir vic and sir carlo.... :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
You're welcome guys! A lot of folks went out to buy a 42X20 at Sights and Sounds, I think the 29k price tag with the TVs stellar performance reeled a lot of peeps in ;)

@ninjababez®

Oo nga brader! Best kept secret pala natin yan
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010 at 06:38 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:

@ninjababez®

Oo nga brader! Best kept secret pala natin yan

mga sir, you'll be blessed for SHARING your secret... Merry Christmas!
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline kenji1950

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hello,

I'm the Father in law of carlo777 and I'm Japanese with past work in electronic company that is long popular with TV. I'm happy to see that carlo and my daughter yuri is active in a field that is very important for me. Carlo ask me if I could post my technology of choice for excellent movie watching and regular TV shows.

My choice if and when price and quality is concerned is only 2 TV

1)Panasonic V20/X20

Based on so many TV units we saw here and what is available in the Philippines. The V20/X20 makes for colors very close to studio monitors used in Japan for movie testing. Colors are very important more important than actual number of resolution. The technology that drives plasma makes for more accurate colors for color correction purposes when reproducing video.

I spent many times in front of a da vinci 2k plus system to hope and say that plasma cinema mode set to warm is as close as you can get to actual movie broadcast.

Most Lcd brand now is catering to the concept of brighter at a glance is better. This works well for showroom but not too well when it is brought home already. But we can say that it ends in actual taste of the customer.

Right now I stay with my son in law and daughter in Corinthian Quezon city for the holiday. You're country has made so much progress and I like the Tutuban mall very good and very cheap.

If time permits I can do more post about colors and film transfer and remaster. Also more on the technical side of TV.

Happy holiday.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
mga sir, you'll be blessed for SHARING your secret... Merry Christmas!
on a serious note, it is always up to you.  nagkataon lang na ang settings namin worked for you  :D
again it is always your preference, would you believe that ECO mode works well with my setup   ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline iAMhitek

• Collector
  • Liked:
Very enlightening message from sir kenji1950.
Sir, please post more technical info regarding flat panels.
Thank you for your post and welcome to PDVD!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 07:23 AM »
Great! For settings the most natural is "Cinema" set to "Warm". :)

On the V20, I now prefer AUTO (contrast) mode.  It works quite well in terms of regulating the brightness and contrast depending on lighting conditions while maintaining very natural colors.

Oh, YOKOSOO Kenji1950-san.  I haven't been to the Tutuban Mall. hehehe
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 07:35 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline markuzbrutuz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 09:39 AM »
That's a quick upgrade! Anyway, you'll notice that plasma will give you better colors for both Cable and DVD, but I'm not saying it's going to be runways apart. Do note that if your eyes are accustomed to LCDs you may find plasma to be not as "bright" but it's ok, being brighter sometimes does not mean it's better.

Also consider that plasma has a very quick response time, so that means you'll have almost no blurs during fast action scenes. My only gripe with plasma now is the fact that it still can't play 24p without flickers..

Hi sir carlo!
Thanks to your recommendations, I also got me a panny 42X20 :)
Super duper happy with the PQ!
However, just a question... when i use my Xtreamer Pro (thru hdmi cable), there are random white flickering pixels all around the screen when i use 1080p setting on the xtreamer output, and less (but still there) for 720p setting. these all disappear when i go down to 560p.
For cable or DVD (both thru RCA for now), there is zero flickering white pixels (like twinkling stars).
Would you know why? TIA!

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
I hope you don't mind if I post my opinion in the meantime while we wait for sir Carlo's reply.

My guess is that you're experiencing what U.S. forums call HDMI "sparklies" or "sparkles".

Don't believe the outdated view that HDMI video is "all or nothing".  This means that if your HDMI path and connection are OK, you get a perfect picture; if not, you get a blank screen.  

That's not true.  

When an HDMI signal starts failing, the first sign is digital dropouts, where some pixels can't be read.  Those dropouts are manifested as "sparklies" on the monitor.  When digital dropouts worsen, the digital data reaching the monitor becomes so low that total failure occurs, manifested as a blank screen on the monitor.

Sparklies are caused by defective HDMI cables, plugs, sockets, and anything in the HDMI path that can produce digital dropouts.  It can also happen when the HDMI cable is too long, maybe longer than 50 feet.

You say the sparklies disappear when you switch to a lower resolution.  Maybe your dropouts happen only with higher resolutions, because the cable has to carry a higher bandwidth.  Lower resolution = lower bandwidth = dropouts less likely.

You say there are no sparklies with RCA cables on DVD and cable TV.  That's not surprising.  RCA cables pass analog signals (HDMI cables pass digital signals).  Analog component video is a very robust signal type, much more robust than HDMI digital signals.  Analog component cables can run over 200 feet without boosters, relays, etc., with no loss of signal quality.

I suggest that you try a different HDMI cable.  I've heard of many HDMI problems solved by simply replacing the HDMI cable.  
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM by barrister »

Offline iAMhitek

• Collector
  • Liked:
I agree with you sir barrister.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
@barrister

You just snagged a burning question in my mind! This is a follow up question to your answer, given that the "all or nothing" no longer applies. I've been having an internal debate on whether the cost of a Monster HDMI cable may or may not be worth it.

Right now, I'm using Planex HDMI cables (Purchased in Amazon JP), so far there are no issues with them. Will buying a more expensive "Gas Injected" HDMI like monster improve visuals?

Many thanks Tsip!

Offline markuzbrutuz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
thanks sir barrister!
what type of hdmi cable would you recommend and about how much would that go for? I'm just using the one that came with the xtreamer kasi. I've also heard about 1.3, 1.3b, 1.4.. what should i get?