Author Topic: 2010 Xmas Flat Panels picks (Done! Merry Xmas)  (Read 35208 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
thanks sir barrister!
what type of hdmi cable would you recommend and about how much would that go for? I'm just using the one that came with the xtreamer kasi. I've also heard about 1.3, 1.3b, 1.4.. what should i get?

Sorry, sir.  I can't recommend a brand.

That's because HDMI cable shopping is a trial-and-error thing.  Even if you get a good, expensive HDMI cable, you can still have problems if the HMDI ports on your TV and player were not built to exact specs, thereby producing loose connections.

Cheap HDMI cables can also work fine.  On thread posts here at pinoydvd, I've read about CDR-King HDMI cables doing fine on some setups, but many users have reported problems.

I suggest a mid-priced brand.  

I've always used mid-priced HDMI cables so far, about P1,300 each, more or less.  But I've never had any HDMI connection problems.  Most of them came from Cardinal Audio in Greenhills, mga China lang.  My latest cable is an Audio Pro from Handyman (China din), which I used on the HDMI port of my Pioneer SD DVD player.  OK naman.

As for the HDMI version, just get the latest.  

The latest HDMI version is HDMI 1.4, released on May 28, 2009.  I think 1.4 versions (China-made ones included) have been widely available here since the start of 2010.  

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 01:28 PM by barrister »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219

Got my Samsung LA32C550 last Saturday  :)  Using an HDMI cable from CD-R King to play games from my PC  ;D No lag at all with Street Fighter 4 and NFS: Hot Pursuit.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM by Dan »

Offline markuzbrutuz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Sorry, sir.  I can't recommend a brand.

That's because HDMI cable shopping is a trial-and-error thing.  Even if you get a good, expensive HDMI cables, you can still have problems if the HMDI ports on your TV and player were not built to exact specs, thereby producing loose connections.

Cheap HDMI cables can also work fine.  On thread posts here at pinoydvd, I've read about CDR-King HDMI cables doing fine on some setups, but many users have reported problems.

I suggest a mid-priced brand.  

I've always used mid-priced HDMI cables so far, about P1,300 each, more or less.  But I've never had any HDMI connection problems.  Most of them came from Cardinal Audio in Greenhills, mga China lang.  My latest cable is an Audio Pro from Handyman (China din), which I used on the HDMI port of my Pioneer SD DVD player.  OK naman.

As for the HDMI version, just get the latest.  

The latest HDMI version is HDMI 1.4, released on May 28, 2009.  I think 1.4 versions (China-made ones included) have been widely available here since the start of 2010.  

thanks sir!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Right now, I'm using Planex HDMI cables (Purchased in Amazon JP), so far there are no issues with them. Will buying a more expensive "Gas Injected" HDMI like monster improve visuals?

I'm not familiar with Planex, but if sir Clondalkin thinks it's OK, then I'm sure it's fine.

Ordinary HDMI cables are fine, as long as you think they were built to correct specifications and tolerances.  If you think they're really poorly-made, such as the CDR King ones, then that's the type you should avoid.

As for Monster, I've never liked it as a company.  "Nitrogen Gas Injected Dielectric"?  Ano yun? :D

Overpricing is the marketing style of Monster cables.  But at least Monster makes good products.  They're not as bad as Bose, which overprices yet makes poor products  :P.  

Will buying a more expensive "Gas Injected" HDMI like monster improve visuals?

Hell, no.  :D

You won't see any improvement, I assure you  ;).

=======================

Here's a good HDMI bech test from audioholics:

Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout
Why "Just Buy ANY HDMI Cable" Advice is Wrong… Sort of
by Clint DeBoer — last modified July 08, 2008

I decided to write this article the first time I saw another writer say "HDMI is digital - it either works or it doesn't." Then I saw that statement get repeated over and over. The problem is that HDMI isn't like a digital coax audio cable - it can degrade partially and produce sparkles and snow. We'll illustrate some of this below.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 06:43 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
....I've been having an internal debate on whether the cost of a Monster HDMI cable may or may not be worth it.

Right now, I'm using Planex HDMI cables (Purchased in Amazon JP), so far there are no issues with them. Will buying a more expensive "Gas Injected" HDMI like monster improve visuals?

Hi Carlo,  PLANEX is OK.  PLANEX is not generic and well known in the Akihabara district as a maker of bazillion types of cables, connecting devices, networking devices, computer peripherals and gadgets, etc., and they don't lie about compliance to specific (new) standards that are applicable to a cable or device.   Next time you buy a 103V or the future 150V, then thats the time to invest on a sexier looking cable.  But it doesnt have to be a Monster.  Panasonic's own HDMI and that of Sony are just about the cutest HDMIs Ive seen to date.

Basta yung hindi lang nakasupot ng plain plastic or paper bag and then totally plain ang dating ng cable itself, that should be reliable already.  Kung gusto mong mataas na standard na HDMI, test mo Viera Link function (but you need another Viera Link compatible device other than your Plasma).

Pero kung type mo lang, go ahead and buy a Monster - but again, the Panasonics and the Sonys are the cutest.   ;)  Hindi na kailangan yung HDMI cable na worth as much as the X20...hehehe

Kung meron gustong mag-try ng Japanese brand cables, puede ko kayong padalhan on Jan 2.  Any brand you want at cost - basta you pick up sa bahay.  Im using both Sony and Panasonic and both of those brands costed me about 4,500 Yen (about 2.4K Pesos) for the 2-3m length.  Same same din ang prices ng JVC sa major stores but I think I can find the same item cheaper at the Akihabara district.   Mas mura yung BUFFALO brand (that Japanese computer accessory maker) pero maganda rin especially the flat type cable.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline theshade

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thanks for the picks.  I am leaning towards the 50 x20 based on what I have read here due to it being great for movies and also capable with games.  The price is also great for a 50 incher. However I will be using this not only for blu ray films or ps3 games but as a computer monitor as well.  I read comics, surf, watch chinese tv series and sometimes work at home.  Currently, I am using a 37 inch crt tv.  Will the x20 be appropriate given my usage?

Offline acevangelista

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Sir,

Please help, I just bought a panasonic TH-P42x20 bundled with SCPT75 HT, what is your recommended set-up/calibration??

Thanks in advance

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
If you think they're really poorly-made, such as the CDR King ones, then that's the type you should avoid.

As for Monster, I've never liked it as a company.  "Nitrogen Gas Injected Dielectric"?  Ano yun? :D

Overpricing is the marketing style of Monster cables.  But at least Monster makes good products.  They're not as bad as Bose, which overprices yet makes poor products  :P

The Avant salesman tried to upsell me a monster HDMI cable for P4,000 along with my LCD purchase. I didn't even let him finish his pitch anymore.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
OT: AFAIK Monoprice have great shielded HDMI cables w/ very affordable prices. Last HDMI cable I bought from CDRKing have ferrite cores. But another CDRKing cable I have that does not have ferrite cores produces random red streaking lines on the display. Not really sure if the ferrite cores "really" make a difference.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 04:11 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
@barrister

Great! I won't buy the Monster cable anymore.

@Clondalkin

Nice info about the Planex! It sounds like an interplanetary condom brand, hence, my initial doubt. My father in-law said the same thing.

Offline swimteam

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
I also picked up the C530 (Thanks sir Vic). I do have a question for the experts though.

I connected my old Mac Mini to the lcd via a dvi-to-vga cable. What cable could I use for the audio? The Mini has an "optical digital audio output/headphone" minijack. What's the cable to link it to the "DVI Audio In (Mini Jack)" of the C530?

Thanks!

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
I hope you don't mind if I post my opinion in the meantime while we wait for sir Carlo's reply.

My guess is that you're experiencing what U.S. forums call HDMI "sparklies" or "sparkles".

Don't believe the outdated view that HDMI video is "all or nothing".  This means that if your HDMI path and connection are OK, you get a perfect picture; if not, you get a blank screen.  

That's not true.  

When an HDMI signal starts failing, the first sign is digital dropouts, where some pixels can't be read.  Those dropouts are manifested as "sparklies" on the monitor.  When digital dropouts worsen, the digital data reaching the monitor becomes so low that total failure occurs, manifested as a blank screen on the monitor.

Sparklies are caused by defective HDMI cables, plugs, sockets, and anything in the HDMI path that can produce digital dropouts.  It can also happen when the HDMI cable is too long, maybe longer than 50 feet.

You say the sparklies disappear when you switch to a lower resolution.  Maybe your dropouts happen only with higher resolutions, because the cable has to carry a higher bandwidth.  Lower resolution = lower bandwidth = dropouts less likely.

You say there are no sparklies with RCA cables on DVD and cable TV.  That's not surprising.  RCA cables pass analog signals (HDMI cables pass digital signals).  Analog component video is a very robust signal type, much more robust than HDMI digital signals.  Analog component cables can run over 200 feet without boosters, relays, etc., with no loss of signal quality.

I suggest that you try a different HDMI cable.  I've heard of many HDMI problems solved by simply replacing the HDMI cable.  

sir barrister/carlo,
i have a similar problem but this time when the scene is all BLACK... the screen seems to blink and there is color bleeding on the first few frames before it becomes normal. im using a Sammy HTIB via HDMI. i notice that this happens everytime the scene is BLACK...

very prominent dun sa intro ng planet earth before the globe appears, dark and all black kse - the screen blinks and then some color bleed before it goes normal.

what could be the problem. TIA.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline crazyhog

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
help guys. just got my X20 last night. ano po un advise nyu picture settings during break in?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
sir barrister/carlo,
i have a similar problem but this time when the scene is all BLACK... the screen seems to blink and there is color bleeding on the first few frames before it becomes normal. im using a Sammy HTIB via HDMI. i notice that this happens everytime the scene is BLACK...

very prominent dun sa intro ng planet earth before the globe appears, dark and all black kse - the screen blinks and then some color bleed before it goes normal.

what could be the problem. TIA.

That's not a typical HDMI dropout.

To trace a problem, you first isolate the possible source of the problem.  Try playing the scene using a different player.  If it plays fine with a different player, something's wrong somewhere in your Sammy HTiB.  If the same thing happens even with a different player, you'll have to look elsewhere to trace the problem.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM by barrister »

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:

That's not a typical HDMI dropout.

To trace a problem, you first isolate the possible source of the problem.  Try playing the scene using a different player.  If it plays fine with a different player, something's wrong somewhere in your Sammy HTiB.  If the same thing happens even with a different player, you'll have to look elsewhere to trace the problem.

yeah, my initial hunch is the HTIB. but i recall not having this problem when the same HTiB is connected to a Sammy LCD. i tried using the same disc on another dvd player via RCA, the scene was okay.

will try to isolate again this weekend. only problem is, my PS3 is broke and i only have one source (sammy htib) that can connect to the X20 via HDMI.

thanks for the reply sir.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline shane05

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
mga sir magkano po samsung la37c550 or c530 instalment 12 mos or 6 mos sa SNS balak ku bumili dis week at available po b?

Offline rayeth_04

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
good day po, newbie here pero long time looker here at pinoy dvd forum. Very interested po to purchase at SnS pero ang layo ko nga lang i'm at baguio kasi. Baka may marecommend po kyo na bilihan dito n mura at maganda rin after sales. TIA and merry xmas .

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
 hi survey lang ako kung maganda ba yung Avision na 42in full hd tv. :-\ meron na bang negative feedbacks bout this model? balak ko kasi bumili this christmas. may nabasa ako sa isang thread dito na halos kapantay nya ang Samsung Series 5 40'' sa specs and PQ. Available pa rin po ba yung 42'' + 22'' bundle?
thanks po in advance sa mga magrereply...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
yeah, my initial hunch is the HTIB. but i recall not having this problem when the same HTiB is connected to a Sammy LCD.

Maybe the HTiB was not yet malfunctioning at the time.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
@shane05

You can send a PM to E-Reply

@rayeth_04

No idea outside Metro Manila, sorry!

@immobulus

Ok naman ang picture ng Avision, but I don't know the "build quality".
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 at 05:27 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: 2010 Xmas Flat Panels picks (Just a few more winks til Xmas!)
« Reply #170 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 05:57 PM »
Sir Carlo ask ko lang kung may major difference ba between an Avision with 120Hz and the units with only 60Hz?i was soooo excited to get this one until nadiscover ko na 60Hz nalang pala ang mga bagong units. wala ng motion flow feature T_____T

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 05:58 PM »
Sir Carlo ask ko lang kung may major difference ba between an Avision with 120Hz and the units with only 60Hz?i was soooo excited to get this one until nadiscover ko na 60Hz nalang pala ang mga bagong units. wala ng motion flow feature T_____T

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 06:05 PM »

There is a difference tsip! The 120hz has a more refined motion flow over the standard 60hz, but for me. I've never been a fan of these motion flow enhancements because they make the film look unnatural.

Ask our dealers if the Avision supports 24p playback, if it does, your better off with that feature.

Personal opinion lang tsip! The Toshiba XL700 also has this blazing fast 100hz capability but I always keep it off.

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 06:50 PM »
Sir another question po. The newer units of AVision with 60hz refresh rate has this so called 'True Motion Plus' feature. Does that mean na magmumukang telenobela parin yung mga 24p Movies? if yes, would there be an option to turn it off? sorry for being so dumb about these things..

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 07:45 PM »
brader Carlo777 medyo OT pero what is 24p? kasi my LG LH35 60HZ ang refresh rate and 1080p resolution.

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 08:03 PM »
brader Carlo777 medyo OT pero what is 24p? kasi my LG LH35 60HZ ang refresh rate and 1080p resolution.

AFAIK yung 24p is basically 24 frames per second. Majority of movies are shot in this format, thus giving them the 'cinematic feel' correct me if im wrong.

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 08:11 PM »
24p is basically 24 frames per second

wont that cause the 60hz and higher to pulldown the frames? di kaya masira?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM »
AFAIK yung 24p is basically 24 frames per second. Majority of movies are shot in this format, thus giving them the 'cinematic feel' correct me if im wrong.

That's basically right.  But more accurately, 24 frames per second is "24fps", the frame rate of film projectors in cinemas.

The term "24p" is used for home video.  It means "24 progressive frames per second" (the "p" stands for "progressive").

However, displaying home video at 24p still won't exactly mimic the cinema film projectors.  Movie projectors usually have a "double shutter", or sometimes a "triple shutter".  They don't just project the film at 24fps without shutters.

I've compared 24p and 60p on my TV, hoping to get the most cinematic cadence possible.  To my dismay, 24p actually looked worse than the regular 60p.

wont that cause the 60hz and higher to pulldown the frames? di kaya masira?

No, hindi masisira.  Normal na normal ang 60Hz.  Nearly every movie you see on a flat panel is displayed at 60Hz, pulled down.  Only the newer TVs are 24p capable, and even then, most owners of those newer TVs use them at the default setting of 60p.

Did you know that most Blu-ray discs are encoded at 23.976p, while very few of them are encoded at true 24p?  It's too long a story to discuss on this thread.  Maybe on another, more appropriate thread.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM by barrister »

Offline Wildfire™

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 22, 2010 at 08:19 AM »
thanks for the insights mga brader. ung 24p produced by my total media theatre 5 (PC) doesnt really looks different from the normal 60fps by powerdvd, well maybe i dont have a keen eye for this and as long as it wont bug down my tv im ok

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 22, 2010 at 09:07 AM »
so what's this thing called 'True Motion plus' and how does it differ from the technology called 'Motion Flow'? can a LCD tv with only 60hz refresh rate be integrated with this 'True Motion Plus' feature? i already consulted my friend Google but cant seem to find a good comparison between the two.