Author Topic: SVSound speakers  (Read 218133 times)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: SVS speakers
« Reply #450 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM »
si brader weng?  noodles na lang kakainin?

mauubos muna ang kaban ng central bank bago mangyari ito!   ;)

;)

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM »
surround speakers finally installed.

the diy brackets

with the SSS-01

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #452 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM »
Very nice brader Weng! ;D Parang gusto ko nang bumili ng rears ha.... :P

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM »
Very nice brader Weng! ;D Parang gusto ko nang bumili ng rears ha.... :P

thanks brader stick. ako rin dagdag ako ng sbs-01 when i upgrade the receiver para front height duties. dati may surround back ako pero walang masyado sound na lumalabas. ngayon i'm happy with the surrounds only kasi may maririnig na akong sound from behind.

Offline obsi

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #454 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 07:43 AM »
Weng, I suggest you also try vertical mounting the center, tilted up slightly pointing to ear level.  I get very good voices this way (non SVS speakers though).  BTW, grab an Ultra na bago maubos, the feedback on the Sledge hasn't been very promising due to noise issues.  I'm sure the Sledge will mature eventually, but it may take some time.  Better you get a tried and tested Bash unit.  Happy New Year!
"All Your BASS Are Belong To Us..."

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #455 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 07:53 AM »
thanks brader stick. ako rin dagdag ako ng sbs-01 when i upgrade the receiver para front height duties. dati may surround back ako pero walang masyado sound na lumalabas. ngayon i'm happy with the surrounds only kasi may maririnig na akong sound from behind.

nicely done brader gnew, i also used to have a surround back but removed it after a while considering it only has minimal effects. in my case, the front wide have been the most benificial
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:17 AM »
Nice setup, Weng.  :)

But actually, I like the blackout screens the most. Ang galing.  :) :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:39 AM »
Weng, I suggest you also try vertical mounting the center, tilted up slightly pointing to ear level.  I get very good voices this way (non SVS speakers though).  BTW, grab an Ultra na bago maubos, the feedback on the Sledge hasn't been very promising due to noise issues.  I'm sure the Sledge will mature eventually, but it may take some time.  Better you get a tried and tested Bash unit.  Happy New Year!

i will try your suggestion alfie first with the use of my house help to hold the speakers at an angle. if the result is good, my next challenge is to install it using a properly designed diy bracket.

sana may matira pang bash-based tide ultra pa ra sa akin. di pa kasi tapos is santa namigay ng gifts sa amin ;D

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:42 AM »
nicely done brader gnew, i also used to have a surround back but removed it after a while considering it only has minimal effects. in my case, the front wide have been the most benificial

thanks sir onkyo606. i guess i will have to scream onkyo for my receiver upgrade to enjoy the audyssey DSX or front height speaker. whew.... ang daming gastos sa HT next year ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:43 AM »
Great job again Weng!

So how are you enjoying the SSS-01/02 bipolar speakers?

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:46 AM »
Nice setup, Weng.  :)

But actually, I like the blackout screens the most. Ang galing.  :) :)

thanks sir mark ;) i bought those blackout curtains from bangkok and had them modified to a roman shade.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 08:53 AM »
Great job again Weng!

So how are you enjoying the SSS-01/02 bipolar speakers?

thanks sir mac. i am enjoying the new surrounds now more than the back surrounds (on the rear corner) and surrounds (front side) of my previous setup. now i can hear more details from the back which gives you the feeling that the sound is enveloping the listening area. my wife even told me that she liked the new speakers because they produced more sound at the back but i explained to her why the back surround previously did a little only ;D

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Offline emman2008

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Collector
  • jbl studio l
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 09:38 AM »
weng,nindot pag ka mount imo surround .ultra nalang ko lang para boom boom na. :D
jbl studio l series 5.1
svs pb12 plus
onkyo 3008
Optoma Hd20
A210
pio bd51fd
8 auralex basst

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 09:42 AM »
thanks sir mac. i am enjoying the new surrounds now more than the back surrounds (on the rear corner) and surrounds (front side) of my previous setup. now i can hear more details from the back which gives you the feeling that the sound is enveloping the listening area. my wife even told me that she liked the new speakers because they produced more sound at the back but i explained to her why the back surround previously did a little only ;D

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Yup, those SSS surrounds are enveloping talaga! Best surrounds I heard in my HT!  ;)

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM »
weng,nindot pag ka mount imo surround .ultra nalang ko lang para boom boom na. :D

thanks emman ;) boom boom naman ngayon sa halimaws kaya lang kelangan tide para malinisan ang ang low end at ang front wall ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM by GneW »

Offline obsi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM »
Yup that's why I stick to dipoles for my basic 5.1 surrounds.  The null it creates is something else, like the whole back and side walls are evenly full of ambience and much less pinpointable than monopoles.  Dipoles will probably have a similar effect too.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 12:03 PM »
Yup that's why I stick to dipoles for my basic 5.1 surrounds.  The null it creates is something else, like the whole back and side walls are evenly full of ambience and much less pinpointable than monopoles.  Dipoles will probably have a similar effect too.

the orientation of the surrounds are, one side of the bipole is exactly pointing the sofa and the other side is facing the front wall, for the benefit of the single seater's surround effect.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM by GneW »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #467 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM »
bro alin nga ulit sa dalawa yung out of phase yung isang speaker, dipole ba or bipole? 
ninjababez online ..

Offline obsi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM »
Hi ninja, dipoles are out of phase, bipoles are in phase.

Offline musika

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Absolute sounds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #469 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 01:23 PM »

+1

Offline obsi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 02:20 PM »
Just to add, bipoles usually work well on the rear walls, while dipoles on the side walls slightly back.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #471 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 04:55 PM »
i'm back!

sir weng, i don't remember selling you a new house, new speakers + new house?   ;D ;D
great job on overlapping the blinds :)

www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #472 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 05:01 PM »
thanks for sharing sir macdon.  and you're welcome.

i was actually hoping you had gotten the S series  ;D (you know why)

SVS M-series Speakers

For the past few months, I've been thinking of possibly upgrading my speakers - not that there's anything wrong with my B&Ws, but maybe just to try a different flavor.
I went the usual fare of auditioning as well as researching possible replacements from other brands - which even included the upper level of B&W.
Before, when I do HT speaker shopping - I usually just audition the left & right speaker and just accept whatever center & surrounds that came in the series.
However, this time around I thought of concentrating more on the center speaker as I feel that it is the vital channel of any good home theater.

One of my recent & unexpected auditions, is the SVS S-series speakers wherein the front LCR were all identical and it was even reasonably priced. The best part of these speakers are its crisp, clear and uncolored presentation - perfectly neutral!
My Rotel + B&W setup is a dynamic one if not a tad warm, so I felt prepared for the change. However, when an opportunity suddenly arose in upgrading my Rotel RB-985 amp to a more modern RMB-1075 amp, I was very surprised to find out how my old 985 were warm sounding.
With the 1075, the B&Ws opened up beautifully........and I could live with that, but still the thought of those uncolored SVS speakers lingered inside my head.

I still went ahead with the change and offered my B&Ws up for sale - but when I was coming home with the SVS S-series speakers in my trunk, I felt a little bit of buyer's remorse and thought that the B&Ws were still very good most specially with the new amp.
While I thought of withdrawing my B&Ws from the marketplace, I suddenly received a call from a prospective buyer - who is even ready to pay cash on the spot.
I auditioned the B&Ws to my buyer who even brought his family along with him to hear what he was about to purchase. While this was going on, I just sat in one corner admiring how my old B&Ws were singing differently. I could only hope and pray that maybe they wouldnt like it and leave.
Alas, they loved it.........they loved it so much that they even bought my SVS pb12 sub and was even asking if I would sell them my Rotel pre/pro. Well, I had to draw the line with the speakers & sub - but when it comes to my Rotel pre/pro - hands off please.

The next few days were the hardest - I wanted to open up the new SVS S-series, but just couldnt. I repeatedly asked myself if this would really be better than my old speakers but had to shake it off since they were basically not mine anymore.  My wife really loves the B&Ws and when she glanced at the new smallish box replacements, she gave me a weird look that kinda says "are you kidding me?!"
I knew that the SVS S-series speakers had more drivers compared to my B&Ws, they were clear enough in both vocals as well as music and they have that crisp detail that you rarely hear from speakers around its price - it totally outclassed and outperformed some mainstream speaker brands in the market that are close to its price - some are even more expensive. So, what should I be worrying about?

Being positive with my choice of speaker brand, I suddenly decided to even hike up all my considerations and made a blind leap of faith in getting the SVS M-series instead. I never really invest in something that I've never auditioned before - most specially with speakers, but I thought that if the S-series is this good, then having the M-series should be a lot better.  But the big question still remains - would it be better than my B&Ws?
I re-scheduled a trip to return the S-series, took home the M-series and for good measure took home a SVS PB13 Ultra to eliminate looking up and asking "what if".

Unboxing the M-series was an ordeal - they were huge and very heavy. The box of the center speaker MCS-01 alone is almost as big as an out-of-the-box pb10 subwoofer!  Each speaker was packed inside a draw-string cloth bag and nestled inside its double-box with high intensity foam.  Removing the cloth bags reveals the excellent fit and finish of the M-series, the magnetic grille is a novel idea,  the 0 or -3db tweeter attenuation switch is a nice consideration and the foam plugs for port tuning are all great features that you dont find to often in other speaker brands.
Each speaker comes with its own single page documentation or 'birth certificate'  showing its specs and its frequency response chart which was hand signed by the company's QA / QC inspector.

We all have our own media preference when auditioning or trying out new speakers, and since I also got a new pb13 Ultra subwoofer in the mix - might as well give both the speakers and sub a workout.  Jude Law's Enemy At The Gates was my chosen media to see how well the dialogue is amidst the rumble and chaos in the background.
As I've anticipated, the dialogue was very clear and coherent. The absence of any speaker coloration was both a welcome surprise that provided an exciting auditory experience. Even whispers and voices from a distance seems to emanate right from your theater room - amazing!
Accompanied with the micro-dynamic details of the left & right speaker, it defined a more finer detail that is crisp and an uncanny realistic experience.
SVS labels the M-series as "audiophile grade" speakers, so I quickly ended the first 20 minutes of Enemy At The Gates and chose the Legends Of Jazz. With music, the M-series is at its best - every instrument is clearly identified in its own space which you can actually pinpoint their position in the wide soundstage. The M-series were very holographic in nature that seems to float around you - making you feel not as a spectator but more of the performer! I allowed myself to be immersed in its sound and it was breathtaking!
Switching to Celine Dion's A New Day concert was a mixture of emotions - the sound seems to draw you in what the artist wants to convey - may it be a ballad or a fast moving song, it hits you emotionally. I did find myself with goosebumps in some of her songs.
Even when the concert ended, I didnt switch to a new media - I stuck around and listened while the credits was rolling. For some reason, you want to hear every possible sound from the speakers in hopes of hearing something that you havent heard before.
I was so giddy at this point that I had to try the Blue Man Group's How To Be A Rockstar concert - what a mind blowing experience! The sound dynamics were at par with the tremendous light show on the stage and every percussion instrument was defined clearly. I was thrilled when I heard slight sounds of castanets and tambourines playing in my surround bipolar speakers that I've never heard before with my B&Ws. It certainly was an amazing experience!

I was moved by these speakers and that afternoon session was the best I have experienced my home theater - ever! I would've imagined of possibly finding this kind of speaker from other speaker brands........and certainly never expected it from a company that started with subwoofers. If the legendary subwoofer company continues its path in making speakers this great, I have no doubt they will completely corner the market. The M-series speakers truly hold its rank alongside their legendary subwoofers. My heartfelt congrats to SVS!

Lastly, I wanna thank our Philippine distributor MikeC for all the countless YMs, PMs, emails and phone calls to help me with the transition. I believed he treated me more as a friend than a customer. Kudos to MKC International for bringing in these gems to our side of the world!  ;)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 05:05 PM »
i'm back!

sir weng, i don't remember selling you a new house, new speakers + new house?   ;D ;D

Welcome back Mike! ;D Pasalubong ko?  :D Nag-enjoy ba si Magnus? ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 09:26 PM »
i'm back!

kamusta na mike, bukas na ba ulit ang graceland  ;D ;D :D
happy new year bro  :)

Just to add, bipoles usually work well on the rear walls, while dipoles on the side walls slightly back.
thanks OBSI, what about in this case for example, there is no wall at the back of the speakers?

ninjababez online ..

Offline obsi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 09:51 PM »
Mura lang hollow blocks at cemento. Happy Boom Boom New Year Guys!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM »
Mura lang hollow blocks at cemento. Happy Boom Boom New Year Guys!
nyak, im just renting  ;D
happy new year bro  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 12:18 AM »
i'm back!

welcome back mike. same house lang when i had my old wharfe and dtx setup. thanks on the compliments of the blinds ;)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #478 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
Happy New Year Brader Mike!   8) 8) 8)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #479 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 05:13 AM »
Was finally able to run the Audessey calibration yesterday with no ambient noise. Just wanted to share my results ;D

Audessey Results January 2, 2011

Room Dimension: 15.5 ft L x 10.9 ft W

Speaker Set-up
01 Front : Small (FL +1.5 dB); (FR +3.0 dB)
02 Center : Small (+0.5 dB)
03 Surround : Small (SL +2.5 dB); (SR +1.5 dB)
04 Subwoofer : Yes (+1.5 dB)
05 SW Mode : Norm
06 FL : 3.0m
07 FR : 3.1m
08 C : 2.6m
09 SL : 1.8m
10 SR : 1.9m
11 SW : 2.5m
12 Cr. Over: Adv
13 Cr. F : 80Hz
14 Cr. C : 100Hz
15 Cr. S : 40Hz
16 Cr. LFE : 120Hz

MULTEQ:
MultEQ: Audessey
MultEQ: Byp L/R
MultEQ: Flat
MultEQ: OFF

SVS Subwoofer settings before and during the calibration as follows:
Gain: 10.5 o"clock
Phase: 0
Crossover: 120Hz
Cossover switch: Disabled
Sub cable changed to a 1:1 connector.
Calibration locations: 6

4---5---6
----1----
3-------2

Results are better this time around. Had to increase the gainof the subwoofer from 9 o'clock to 10.5 o'clock to compensate for the increase of the decible level of the sub on the last calibration, which was at +4.0.

The PB12 is not as boomy any more and gives just the right sound needed for each particlar scene. Moreover, it does not stop just being a sub, but often times blends with the center, main and surround speakers...the total sound produced envelopes me, making me feel like part of the scene.

It seems like the sub is some kind of "support" to the speakers. Just when I feel that the sound of a particular scene has been heard, the sub gives a final say.

I love action films because of the separation of sound coming from the different channels of the speakers. I played Live Free or Die Hard...

...the scene when John goes to pick-up Matthew Farrell and everything goes chaos. The sound of the gunshots in this scene is jaw dropping. Very crisp and clear gunshots...every single shot fired, every bullets ricochet was clearly heard. Simply amazing.

Next in line...famous scene from the movie The Incredible Hulk...

...I cannot even begin to mention how this scene sounded on my HT. I was overwhelmed with the experience. The gunfires bright sound was backed-up with the bass coming from the sub givng a neutral sounding experience.

Adding some more impressions of other "scenes" that I tested last night...

Two of my favorite gunfire scenes that I always use for testing speaker and sub blending are:

Inglorious Basterds - the powerful fire fight scene on the bar; and

Open Range - the final shootout battle scene.

Both these scenes will literally put you in the middle of the action. It feels like you are part of the battle. The sound generated by the speakers and the sub is so realistic - unbelievable!

I also love car race scenes...and when that comes to mind, what would be better than the Fast & the Furious choosen scenes...

...at all four choosen action scenes from each film, the sound experience provided by the speakers and sub places you on the drivers seat. It feels like you are "inside" the car and in the race. The engine roar so realistic, you'd beg for it to be louder, so I cranked up the volume a few noches from 20 to 15 dB level, and to my suprise...the SVS speakers did not let me down.

And finally, who could not test scenes from the movie Terminator Salvation...? I have not seen this film - ever, until the day I went to audition the SVS speakers at Graceland. Brader Alfie, aka Obsi, recommended it and this was my deciding factor to definitely get the SVS speakers.

There are actually many scenes in this movie that I did not know which one to start with....

...however, whichever scene I played, the speakers provided amazing surround sound experience. Every explosion every enveloping ambient sound that puts you in the plot of the movie is heard clearly ang accurately. Like mentioned on the audition of the SVS speakers...the panning scene of the jet powered aircraft from left to center to right can be heard at constant/equal level - simply astonishing.

To end the night, I decided to tame down a bit and eneded my testing with Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall.

I have tested this material when my HT was NOT properly calibarated and it already sounded good. Now that the HT is calibrated, I had the same jaw dropping experience. I was again speechless with what I heard. I never had anything that sounded this good until now. It sounded like Dave and Tim were just playing live in front of me "in the same room." The sound of the acoustic guitars were very detailed. You can hear every squick, every strum of the guitar in detail like nothing I have heard before.

The harmony of the S series speakers with the PB12NSD is truly a perfect match IMHO. My HT has never sounded this good from the time I began this hobby. I am truly happy with this investment. If you are looking for speakers, I highly recommend SVS speakers. They are simply awesome. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:30 AM by stickfighter »