Author Topic: SVSound speakers  (Read 218125 times)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: SVS speakers
« Reply #1050 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 09:43 PM »
oo, si tirso and martin pala ang glue natin  ;D

kaya kung tinanong bakit hindi natuloy, kasalanan ni tirso and martin  ;)

Patay tayo dyan... ;D

naku nadisgrasya na hehehehehe

di rin ako pwede sa 22 may team planning kami sa office :(

Brad Pip...sa 15th ok ka ba? Masyadong in demand tong si Tirso eh. :)

Offline JesusIsLord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1051 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:25 AM »
@All SVS Speaker Aficionados

I have been lurking around the pdvd.com website for quite a while and am now scouting for speakers.  I happened upon the SVS thread and wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding this particular pairing:

Denon 2311, sbs-02, scs-02, and (pc12nsd vs sb12nsd)

After going on the SVS website and seeing the low sensitivities of the sbs-02 and scs-02, I was wondering if the Denon 2311 would be able to power these speakers to a 'sufficient' decibel level for movie viewing. My family is not trying to watch at reference level, but I wanted to make sure 'clipping' would not become an issue. Unfortunately, I can't make my way to Ohio anytime in the near future to audition the speakers in person, but from what I have researched, these speakers are neutral (no coloration, etc.) and paired with the Denon, shouldn't veer off the 'neutral' sound I'm wanting to achieve from an HT system.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and it's great to find the wealth of information provided by this forum. Mabuhay & Cheers to everyone!

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1052 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:34 AM »

I have been lurking around the pdvd.com website for quite a while and am now scouting for speakers.  I happened upon the SVS thread and wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding this particular pairing:

After going on the SVS website and seeing the low sensitivities of the sbs-02 and scs-02, I was wondering if the Denon 2311 would be able to power these speakers to a 'sufficient' decibel level for movie viewing. My family is not trying to watch at reference level, but I wanted to make sure 'clipping' would not become an issue. Unfortunately, I can't make my way to Ohio anytime in the near future to audition the speakers in person, but from what I have researched, these speakers are neutral (no coloration, etc.) and paired with the Denon, shouldn't veer off the 'neutral' sound I'm wanting to achieve from an HT system.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and it's great to find the wealth of information provided by this forum. Mabuhay & Cheers to everyone!

hi sir, coincidentally, the S speaker getogether that happened sometime ago was conducted with a 2307 receiver (older version of your 2311).  there were no problems running it louder than normal in the room (SPL you would turn down as soon as you hear it)

i computed that  one only needs a continuous 34watts for the SCS, 4meter distance from the SCS speaker for ear damaging levels (100+db).

http://www.hometheatrebasics.com/home-theatre-tools/spl-calculator
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:14 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1053 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:36 AM »

I have been lurking around the pdvd.com website for quite a while and am now scouting for speakers.  I happened upon the SVS thread and wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding this particular pairing:

hi bro my previous Denon 1509 and current 1912 can easily power my SVS SSS bipole, SCS fronts (LCR) and preout pc13ultra  :)
your receiver (Denon 2311) is more powerful than both (1509 and 1912), it should be fine  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1054 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:50 AM »
@ninjababez

Hi there bro! Thanks for the feedback, that's very encouraging to know. I'm going to research re: using the SCS-02s for my fronts. I saw that mentioned having the SVS pc13 Ultra. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the cylinder sub over the 'boxed' type? I'm still deciding whether to get the PC12nsd or the sb12nsd. Thanks again for your advice!

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1055 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:57 AM »
@mike c

Thanks for your feedback. I see that your the official distributor of SVS in the Philippines. I'm sure business is doing extremely well for you!  ;) I wish I had time to go visit SVS in Ohio so I could personally audition the speakers. But from all the feedback and such, it seems this should serve my aural preferences (neutral, natural sound). I'm even considering getting the scs-02 for use as the LCR. By the way, the sbs-02s have a lesser sensitivity than the scs-02s right?

Again, thanks for your advise!
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 07:57 AM by JesusIsLord »

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1056 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM »
@mike c

Thanks for your feedback. I see that your the official distributor of SVS in the Philippines. I'm sure business is doing extremely well for you!  ;) I wish I had time to go visit SVS in Ohio so I could personally audition the speakers. But from all the feedback and such, it seems this should serve my aural preferences (neutral, natural sound). I'm even considering getting the scs-02 for use as the LCR. By the way, the sbs-02s have a lesser sensitivity than the scs-02s right?

Again, thanks for your advise!

yes sir, SCS-02 has higher sensitivity than the SBS-02.  I was thinking f3 point nung SBS-02 where it goes lower than the SCS-02.  but they only have a 2db difference in sensitivity :)

(will correct my post)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:14 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1057 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:57 AM »
@mike

I agree. Actually that 2db sensitivity difference is a moot point.  :) Could I request your thoughts re: my my decision between the pc12nsd or sb12nsd, considering your the expert & sole distributor of this impressive subwoofer line.  ;D I'm happy that atleast I know for sure that my subwoofer choice is SVS!

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1058 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 09:02 AM »
@mike

I agree. Actually that 2db sensitivity difference is a moot point.  :) Could I request your thoughts re: my my decision between the pc12nsd or sb12nsd, considering your the expert & sole distributor of this impressive subwoofer line.  ;D I'm happy that atleast I know for sure that my subwoofer choice is SVS!

i'm no expert, but just a hobbyist who decided that the Philippines needed better options than the usual suspects.

if you can handle the size and your usage for movies is 51% and higher, i would go for the PC12NSD. 
the SB12NSD is meant for: those who listen to a lot of music, those who simply don't have the space, those who must please SWMBO and those who simply like the aesthetic look of the tiny box (with a big kick).
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1059 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM »
i'm no expert, but just a hobbyist who decided that the Philippines needed better options than the usual suspects.

if you can handle the size and your usage for movies is 51% and higher, i would go for the PC12NSD.  
the SB12NSD is meant for: those who listen to a lot of music, those who simply don't have the space, those who must please SWMBO and those who simply like the aesthetic look of the tiny box (with a big kick).

You are humble Mike....Only a subwoofer (and audio) guru would be able to gain the distribution rights of SVS in the Philippines. That is quite an accomplishment and I'm sure the Filipino AV gurus thank you for it! My usage of this HT will definitely be mostly for movies (bluray concerts & music listening sessions from time to time)....so I think the choice would be the PC12nsd, although I don't know how my wife will react to the big cylinder arriving on our doorstep, BUT I sure will be stoked about it!  ;D Whenever I put my order in with SVS, I will definitely inform them of your helpfulness of advising me with the SVS line.  I may have a couple more questions, so I hope you can bare with me. Atleast I know who to go to if ever we decide to purchase a vacation home in the Philippines.  Last time we were there, we had a chance to look at property in Corinthian Hills and Greenmeadows & were quite impressed with both areas. The prices of the lots were quite reasonable and the location, atleast for me, was very good since both subdivisions were close to the Eastwood area (AWESOME restaurants) and Ortigas (Megamall, Robinsons, and Podium). Our son (2 years old) sure enjoyed Eastwood night life with the water-lights show and all the children's activities when we were there.  Who knows....Maybe in the future, I will be building my "All-SVS" setup in the Philippines.  
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 11:25 AM by JesusIsLord »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1060 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM »
I saw that mentioned having the SVS pc13 Ultra. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the cylinder sub over the 'boxed' type? I'm still deciding whether to get the PC12nsd or the sb12nsd. Thanks again for your advice!
it was the way the cylinder sub reacted in my room  :)
right now after moving to a smaller room, it made me loved my cylinder sub more ;D
don't get me wrong boxed type is also OK ha.

dagdag ko lang sa post ni bro mikec
although mas musical ang SVS SB lineup vs SVS PC and PB .
SVS PC and PB can achieve what other brands ported or sealed can only dream of in terms of clean/tight and accurate bass  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1061 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM »
SVS PC and PB can achieve what other brands ported or sealed can only dream of in terms of clean/tight and accurate bass  ;)

tama, comparing between the two it sounded like "panget" yung ported 12NSD, but only in comparison to it's sealed SVS brother :)

You are humble Mike....Only a subwoofer (and audio) guru would be able to gain the distribution rights of SVS in the Philippines. That is quite an accomplishment and I'm sure the Filipino AV gurus thank you for it! My usage of this HT will definitely be mostly for movies (bluray concerts & music listening sessions from time to time)....so I think the choice would be the PC12nsd, although I don't know how my wife will react to the big cylinder arriving on our doorstep, BUT I sure will be stoked about it!  ;D Whenever I put my order in with SVS, I will definitely inform them of your helpfulness of advising me with the SVS line.  I may have a couple more questions, so I hope you can bare with me. Atleast I know who to go to if ever we decide to purchase a vacation home in the Philippines.  Last time we were there, we had a chance to look at property in Corinthian Hills and Greenmeadows & were quite impressed with both areas. The prices of the lots were quite reasonable and the location, atleast for me, was very good since both subdivisions were close to the Eastwood area (AWESOME restaurants) and Ortigas (Megamall, Robinsons, and Podium). Our son (2 years old) sure enjoyed Eastwood night life with the water-lights show and all the children's activities when we were there.  Who knows....Maybe in the future, I will be building my "All-SVS" setup in the Philippines.  

not true, ako lang yung naglakas loob magimport ng SVS :)
I actually offered/mediated between a local importer and SVS, pero di sila magkatuluyan.

if you have other questions, just post them here, and we will be glad to help :)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1062 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM »
it was the way the cylinder sub reacted in my room  :)
right now after moving to a smaller room, it made me loved my cylinder sub more ;D
don't get me wrong boxed type is also OK ha.

SVS PC and PB can achieve what other brands ported or sealed can only dream of in terms of clean/tight and accurate bass  ;)

@ninjababez

So very true bro, very true. I see a number of members with the saying "Its SVS or nothing"....Yep, I concur in the realm of subwoofers, this brand is WAY ahead of the pack, and considering in the US they offer customers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, only attests to their confidence that customers will surely be impressed with their product! I believe that the pc12 nsd will be my choice because my HT use will be more for movies rather than music. Again, thanks for the advice ninjababez!  ;D

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1063 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
@ninjababez

So very true bro, very true. I see a number of members with the saying "Its SVS or nothing"....Yep, I concur in the realm of subwoofers, this brand is WAY ahead of the pack, and considering in the US they offer customers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, only attests to their confidence that customers will surely be impressed with their product! I believe that the pc12 nsd will be my choice because my HT use will be more for movies rather than music. Again, thanks for the advice ninjababez!  ;D

I would agree..."Its SVS or nothing." I have never understood the real "purpose" of a subwoofer, until I experienced listening to SVS when I first auditioned it. Sir Mike will attest to this, the day I listened to the SVS subs, I told sir Mike, I will save for this - took almost a year...it was all worth the wait, the savings and the money.

On the day I picked up the subwoofer, the speakers landed on our shores. Just the same as the sub, I auditioned the speakers and I knew I had to own them, as the speakers and the sub do compliment one another. So I went back and bit the bullet. So now, I am one of the happy owners of an all SVS set-up. A truly and highly recommended speaker set-up and sub that any HT enthusiast must have. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM by stickfighter »

Online Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1064 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 04:07 PM »
Patay tayo dyan... ;D

Brad Pip...sa 15th ok ka ba? Masyadong in demand tong si Tirso eh. :)

Executive Check Up on Firday 14th, still not sure on 15th but dont let me cause any delays

there are other chances if i miss this
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1065 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 04:23 PM »
ako naman yata ang hindi puwede sa 15
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1066 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:49 PM »
Executive Check Up on Firday 14th, still not sure on 15th but dont let me cause any delays

Get well soon brader... :)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1067 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 01:36 PM »

brader ako sa saturday nasa St. Lukes din for Rank & File check up  ;D seriously baka mapa ultra sound ako, hindi SVS Ultra ha. Alam ko naman yung sound produced by SVS is Ultra pero iba itong Ultra Sound na gagawin ko  ;D

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1068 on: Oct 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM »
@stickfighter

I guess it is true, it is "SVS or nothing"!

@All

I got a quick question, anyone have any experience with the M Series 02? My only concern with these speakers would be the nominal impedance of 4ohms....I'm contemplating going with separates: Pioneer Elite SC35 with the Emotiva XPA-3 (or) Denon 3310 with the Emotiva XPA-3. Considering these speakers were spec'ed at 4ohms, then having a power amp is presumably the only route to go, correct?

And after reading about the non-coloration, neutral character of the SVS line, equipment pairing (bright, warm, neutral receivers) wont be such an issue, but rather getting power to these speakers will be the main concern.  Any M-Series 02 users or any thoughts from the experts?  :)

Online Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1069 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 03:24 PM »
@stickfighter

@All

I got a quick question, anyone have any experience with the M Series 02? My only concern with these speakers would be the nominal impedance of 4ohms....I'm contemplating going with separates: Pioneer Elite SC35 with the Emotiva XPA-3 (or) Denon 3310 with the Emotiva XPA-3. Considering these speakers were spec'ed at 4ohms, then having a power amp is presumably the only route to go, correct?

And after reading about the non-coloration, neutral character of the SVS line, equipment pairing (bright, warm, neutral receivers) wont be such an issue, but rather getting power to these speakers will be the main concern.  Any M-Series 02 users or any thoughts from the experts?  :)

only a couple of MTS user here

macdon and mike c himself, I think only mike c has MTS 02, im sure he will be providing the much needed information you need.

by the way the tag line Its SVS OR NOTHING is proprietary hahahahahahaha. ;D ;D ;D

welcome to the happy SVS users club. ;) ;)

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1070 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 03:55 PM »
@stickfighter

@All

which are you looking at sir?  MTS-02 or MBS-02?

hi sir, i'm running the MTS-02 with just a receiver (no power amp) and there's no problem with it :)  granted, i don't use entry level receivers, only mid-level receivers and up.

there will be no problems even with just the 3310, but SVS recommends the use of a power amp to ensure that the M series sings their best :)

also, make sure that there's proper ventilation to your receiver/amp and you will be fine :)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline JesusIsLord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1071 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 05:17 AM »
@onkyo606

LOL! I guess I will have to pay you royalty fees if "It's SVS or Nothing" is your proprietary statement. You should sell the rights to that statement to SVS because it sums up there performance perfectly.

@mikeC

If you don't mind me asking, what receiver have you been using to power your MTS-02s? My main concern is to make sure the center speaker will deliver on the dialogue and if it's under-powered, it may result in muffled voices or worst, having to re-view the scene to understand the dialogue. How would you characterize the sound of the MC-02? I really wish I could have made it to Ohio to demo, but just don't have the time....But to be honest with you, the "Wife Approval Factor" of the speakers is just through the roof. The rosenut finish sure makes these speakers a center piece for conversation! You know I had to take into account my wife's opinion.  ;D

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1072 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM »
@mikeC

If you don't mind me asking, what receiver have you been using to power your MTS-02s? My main concern is to make sure the center speaker will deliver on the dialogue and if it's under-powered, it may result in muffled voices or worst, having to re-view the scene to understand the dialogue. How would you characterize the sound of the MC-02? I really wish I could have made it to Ohio to demo, but just don't have the time....But to be honest with you, the "Wife Approval Factor" of the speakers is just through the roof. The rosenut finish sure makes these speakers a center piece for conversation! You know I had to take into account my wife's opinion.  ;D

Previously the Onkyo 805.  But i've switched to the Denon 2309 (hiyang ako sa denon, and this will show that even with lower power, it should still sound great)

except for the low ohms, there won't be problems wattage wise so it's unlikely you will be under powered.

i'm not very good at describing speaker's sound (that's why i was organizing a GTG) but what's great about the M series is this ... you can tailor the sound.

too much bass? go sealed.
too bright? use the tweeter attenuation switch

:)

www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1073 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 03:18 PM »
so guys, are we all set for saturday oct. 22?
 ;D
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #1074 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 04:35 PM »
"It's SVS or Nothing"  A household name by Brader Tirso  ;D

The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Online Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1075 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 06:08 PM »

Owned and proprietary phrase kenneth hahahahaha

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1076 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 08:09 PM »
so guys, are we all set for saturday oct. 22?
 ;D
game ako sa saturday  !! :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1077 on: Oct 20, 2011 at 06:04 AM »
yeah, mukhang last chance na this saturday :)
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1078 on: Oct 20, 2011 at 08:58 AM »
yeah kasi next week, thursday and sunday na ang off ko  :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1079 on: Oct 20, 2011 at 09:14 AM »
yeah kasi next week, thursday and sunday na ang off ko  :(

brader dalhin ko ba yung epektus sa saturday? baka hangang lunch time din lang ako eh  ;)