Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342373 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #450 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 04:50 PM »

there's this one article ive read from tomshardware.com about convergence. this was a part of his review for the 100$ creative ddts decoder (decodes all formats from dd to pl2x).

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040120/index.html

Thanks Bumblebee for pointg this out.  This is a neat piece of hardware which otherwise , I must say, is another argument for me why the convergence is not getting anywhere. 

Why on earth this PC -related makers insist on using baby jacks for connecting  their sound and video devices to powered speakers and to sources baffles me no end.  They either have no idea about the connection standards used in audio and video or they are plainly stiupid.  ;D

Next, why do they have to come out with another box just for this purpose,  Isn't a PCI epxress or PCI sound card  sufficient to have all the decoding for DD/DTS and their variants? Where will I put this new boc that won't even match my component system in looks?  With connectors that won't make use of my existing RCA cables?  What a total waste!!!

The way the ad-article is written seems to ne that this DDTS100 is being positioned to compete with Hi-Fi products with claims about its superior price-performance that aims to overturn long-held perceptons among audiophiles.  NOt the right way to win adherents to this convergence effort.  The product, at least the way it wwas bannered in that artidle, seems to succeed better at alienating audiophiles.

Tsk tsk.  :(  But it is a good product on its own.  Certainly adequate to give you HT features for a misleading price.  For just $150, you get all the format decoding you need to enjoy DVD-videos.  But you have to pair it with the Creative 7.1 powered speakers costing $600.  Total of $750.  What is the vendor thinking about?  For that amont, you can get a decent Onkyo or Yamaha HT receiver as well as excellent hi-fi quality Wharfedale and Mordaunt-short 5.1 speakers.   ;D

Offline GM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • www.pinoyxbox.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 04:04 AM »
MCE is still useful even without the EPG. you can still manually record TV shows(w/c any TV software does anyway). other features like online spotlight where you can download movies(that is if you have broadband),synching with your portable device and streaming medias anywhere in your house by using MCX are other stuff to consider in getting MCE.sa ngayon, walang plans ibenta ng retail ang MCE2005 e but you can buy one in newegg.com(and baka available na rin sa GH yun  ;D).

i used to be a TiVo user but hacking tivo is not that fun(im not that good in linux) and may subscription fee pa.i also considered using BeyondTV kaso ms-fanatic ako kaya nauwi sa MCE.  :)

by the way, i'm planning to upgrade my audio card for DVD-A and SACD playback but seems like M-Audio can only do analog or digital but not both(i read it in avsforum but forgot the link).i think Audigy 2 can do both.anyone have experience using Audigy cards?

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 04:45 AM »
yo htpc maestro jpadua & RAIDers, just word of a caution for using RAID0, if your data is really important to you, back up regularly. RAID0 is not actually RAID, more of an "AID"  because it doesn't provide Redundancy.  If one disk fails(you'll never know when), you start from scratch and restore from backup.  whereas with RAID1, you still have the mirror.

u got great rigs man & congrats on your article

shalom :)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: i'm on T3 Magazine :) well at least my little article is
« Reply #453 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 06:12 AM »
Hey Guys,

Finally HTPCs are catching on, T3 contacted me a few months ago to write a very basic how-to-guide to build an HTPC... anyway its out now in T3's december issue.  Its a very basic guide... as in! but at least im on T3 baby!!! my article even has a front cover mini-headline .... cool

Grab a copy if you see one! Thanks!

Jay

jpadua- congrats on your article regarding HTPCs.  I bought a copy myself although if I read this thread the article was just a tip of the iceberg.  Actually, before I even read this thread again, I already bought the mag and it was sealed but the mini headline in front made me buy the issue. 

BTW, I sent you a pm.

Kudos to you bro!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2004 at 06:18 AM by nirvblakr »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #454 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 08:01 AM »

Thanks Bumblebee for pointg this out.  This is a neat piece of hardware which otherwise , I must say, is another argument for me why the convergence is not getting anywhere. 

Why on earth this PC -related makers insist on using baby jacks for connecting  their sound and video devices to powered speakers and to sources baffles me no end.  They either have no idea about the connection standards used in audio and video or they are plainly stiupid.  ;D

Next, why do they have to come out with another box just for this purpose,  Isn't a PCI epxress or PCI sound card  sufficient to have all the decoding for DD/DTS and their variants? Where will I put this new boc that won't even match my component system in looks?  With connectors that won't make use of my existing RCA cables?  What a total waste!!!

The way the ad-article is written seems to ne that this DDTS100 is being positioned to compete with Hi-Fi products with claims about its superior price-performance that aims to overturn long-held perceptons among audiophiles.  NOt the right way to win adherents to this convergence effort.  The product, at least the way it wwas bannered in that artidle, seems to succeed better at alienating audiophiles.

Tsk tsk.  :(  But it is a good product on its own.  Certainly adequate to give you HT features for a misleading price.  For just $150, you get all the format decoding you need to enjoy DVD-videos.  But you have to pair it with the Creative 7.1 powered speakers costing $600.  Total of $750.  What is the vendor thinking about?  For that amont, you can get a decent Onkyo or Yamaha HT receiver as well as excellent hi-fi quality Wharfedale and Mordaunt-short 5.1 speakers.   ;D

w/ regards to the mini-jacks, i think a standard for this is yet to be agreed upon. right now, kanya, kanya mga manufacturers dito.

hay convergence :) i always think that sound is more on the "physics" side of science. there isnt much physics in nanotech. maybe we should leave it at that :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 09:20 AM »
MCE is still useful even without the EPG. you can still manually record TV shows(w/c any TV software does anyway). other features like online spotlight where you can download movies(that is if you have broadband),synching with your portable device and streaming medias anywhere in your house by using MCX are other stuff to consider in getting MCE.sa ngayon, walang plans ibenta ng retail ang MCE2005 e but you can buy one in newegg.com(and baka available na rin sa GH yun  ;D).

i used to be a TiVo user but hacking tivo is not that fun(im not that good in linux) and may subscription fee pa.i also considered using BeyondTV kaso ms-fanatic ako kaya nauwi sa MCE.  :)

by the way, i'm planning to upgrade my audio card for DVD-A and SACD playback but seems like M-Audio can only do analog or digital but not both(i read it in avsforum but forgot the link).i think Audigy 2 can do both.anyone have experience using Audigy cards?

Yeah, MCE can do all of those which is cool... I just feel sad that we dont have EPG data here to take advantage of a TIVO like system here. Another drawback I have about MCE is that its not that flexible when it comes to decoders and post processing.  You are basically stuck with what MS recommends.

MCE is available in a lot of on-line retailers, I almost bought one just to feed my curiosity on how it actually performs... I changed my mind because having no EPG will just frustrate me hheheh.  MS released MCE under OEM so you can purchase it along with other items.  You can find it on directron.com, pcalchemy.com  and lots more...

There arent much Soundcards that can playback SACD, I think out of all my google searches I only found one... I can't remember what brand it was though and only the Audigy and M-Audio supports DVD-A.  M-audio actually uses creative's DVD-A drivers to take advantage of  96khz capability of the M-Audio Revolution.

What do you mean by "M-Audio can only do analog or digital not both" ? do you mean output spdif and analaog simultaneously?  if thats the case even the Audigy can't out put digital and analog at the same time, you still have to choose what output you'd like digital or analog.  I have owned both M-Audio Revo and Audigy 2 ZS, for analog audio the M-Audio sounds so much better.  Spdif output, can barely tell the difference (since the audio is decoded by my AV Receiver).

If you want a more audiophile sounding system, I suggest using analog instead of spdif to take advantage of the soundcard's DAC.  I have 2 connections on my rig, I have one coax to the digital input and analog from the 6.1 output straight into the 6.1 direct input on my amp.  So I can just choose what system to use.

Also if you want to use several sound devices in one system, search google for STADS.exe  this is an EXCELLENT tray program that lets you switch audio devices on the fly! 

I have a Soundstorm Board which does DDlive, but I also have an Audigy ZS with I prefer for games, and I also have a Audiotrak Maya44 4in 4out USB interface for recording.  I use STADS.exe to switch audio devices.  If I want to play games, I switch to the Audigy, If I want to use DDlive, I switch to the Soundstorm Audio, if I want to do some music recording software I use my MAYA44.

Offline GM

• Collector
  • www.pinoyxbox.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 10:22 AM »
thanks! i'll try m-audio and just do an analog connection and siguro, by that time I could convince the wife to upgrade my aging kenwood htib  ;D

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Music You Can Feel, See and Almost Touch.
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
RAID 0 is indeed a risky proposition. You lose one disk and you lost the data on both.

RAID 0 is a stripping configuration. Two drives acting as one!

Love them though. They are blazingly fast!!!!! I use two 300 SATA in RAID 0 configuration but I follow your advice YrNeh, I do external drive back-up. Two 300GB drives appear as 600GB.

RAID 1 is Mirror configuration. Anything on one drive is replicated in the other drive. Good redundancy. If you use two 300GB drives, it would appear not as 600GB but 300GB. For most application RAID 1 is sufficient.

For the best of both, use a RAID 10. Four drives- stripping and mirroring.

My previous machine was actually "donated" to my best friend who is a Cardiologist here in Chicago. He lost his Reading Station for his Echocardiograms.  Good his data was backed up on a network NAS!

We upped the ante in my old RAID 0 configuration and added two more 300 GB SATA's for a RAID 10. Four 300 GB SATA's with 16MB of buffer runs amazingly fast!! Images come up in his screen with details never before seen. Hopefully the better images and how motion of the valves in the heart is better rendered will aid my Cardiologist buddy to better diagnose his patients.

Now-to building another one.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 03:07 PM »
RAID 0 is indeed a risky proposition. You lose one disk and you lost the data on both.

RAID 0 is a stripping configuration. Two drives acting as one!

Love them though. They are blazingly fast!!!!! I use two 300 SATA in RAID 0 configuration but I follow your advice YrNeh, I do external drive back-up. Two 300GB drives appear as 600GB.

RAID 1 is Mirror configuration. Anything on one drive is replicated in the other drive. Good redundancy. If you use two 300GB drives, it would appear not as 600GB but 300GB. For most application RAID 1 is sufficient.

For the best of both, use a RAID 10. Four drives- stripping and mirroring.

My previous machine was actually "donated" to my best friend who is a Cardiologist here in Chicago. He lost his Reading Station for his Echocardiograms.  Good his data was backed up on a network NAS!

We upped the ante in my old RAID 0 configuration and added two more 300 GB SATA's for a RAID 10. Four 300 GB SATA's with 16MB of buffer runs amazingly fast!! Images come up in his screen with details never before seen. Hopefully the better images and how motion of the valves in the heart is better rendered will aid my Cardiologist buddy to better diagnose his patients.

Now-to building another one.

Yeah, seems like it... anyway I only have 1 drive at the moment, so my raid0 is currently acting like a single drive..  I guess I'll start worrying about backups when I add another..

Offline levi

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 12:03 AM »
jpadua,

Do you write for T3? Its about HTPC and the author is a j padua.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 04:34 AM »
Hi Levi,

yeah I wrote that for article for T3, pretty basic stuff, this thread has a lot more in depth discussions about HTPCs :) They liked it naman, got good reader response.. kind of like a starter lang to get them into it.

jay
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004 at 04:36 AM by jpadua »

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 09:12 AM »

Yo jpadua,

Congrats on the said article. By the way, what issue was that? 
Congrats again=)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 10:17 AM »
Its the December Issue

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #463 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 09:17 AM »
hey bro jpadua or anybody, just a short q, i want to upgrade my pc audio so i can use properly my 5.1 pc speaker set. what SOUNDCARD can u recommend please ?  ;) -- thnks.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
hey bro jpadua or anybody, just a short q, i want to upgrade my pc audio so i can use properly my 5.1 pc speaker set. what SOUNDCARD can u recommend please ?  ;) -- thnks.

the audigy 2 has 5.1 preouts and is most probably available in gilmore. btw, what's your speakers?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 10:19 AM »

Hi Jerix! 

It really depends on your budget.  Actually to utilize 5.1  even the Audigy 1, or SB live 5.1 is good enough.  But if you are discriminating about Audio fidelity, M-Audio Revolution is good,  pag Gaming din ang concern mo, then Audigy 2 is good.  If you have on-board 5.1 audio sa motherboard mo ok din yun. Maybe the only difference you would hear with the low-end and the higher-end soundcards, is probably hiss at higher volumes (signal to noise ratio), at low volumes it wont make much of a difference unless you stick your ear to the speaker :)

I have a SBlive 5.1 DE na extra sa bahay, I actually posted it sa Tipid PC selling it for 2k.. It has spdif output so you can connect it to a digital amp when you need to. Let me know if you need it.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #466 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 04:47 PM »
 Bumble / jpadua TY for your answers. :)

Bumble i just got the creative 5.1 speakers-- cheap but better than my previous one na tunog lata ng gatas. ;D

Sirs problem ko kasi this creative 5.1 speaker set requires 3 terminal output from the PC ( fronts/rear/center-sub) but my pc has only 2 (left and right). May i ask whether the 5.1 soundcard has 3 outputs already?

Sir jpadua, if i have the money ill pm u na lang, i hope ur soundcard would still be avlable.----  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 09:04 AM »
Bumble / jpadua TY for your answers. :)

Bumble i just got the creative 5.1 speakers-- cheap but better than my previous one na tunog lata ng gatas. ;D

Sirs problem ko kasi this creative 5.1 speaker set requires 3 terminal output from the PC ( fronts/rear/center-sub) but my pc has only 2 (left and right). May i ask whether the 5.1 soundcard has 3 outputs already?

Sir jpadua, if i have the money ill pm u na lang, i hope ur soundcard would still be avlable.----  ;)

i think the audigy 2 has the outputs you need. even for a 7.1 setup :) you can check out the details at their website.

hope i helped :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
Actually the most common option you have here locally is only SoundBlaster and Audigy cards both made by creative.   Bihira to find other soundcards without really looking hard for them.  Your choices would be.

SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Less than 4K
Audigy1 5.1 - about 4k +
Audigy2 7.1 - about 7K+

Most motherboards now already come with 5.1 built into the motherboard, so you wont need to by one if you motherboard has multi-channel audio.

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 12:49 PM »
jpadua, kung built in 6 channel sound sa mobo, d ba kailangan ko pa ng SPDIF module para me interface sa HT Receiver ko.  Am trying to find one for the past week and can't seen to get one?  Me alam ka ba?

Thanks.
ALA EH!!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 01:22 PM »
if your on board audio has 3 stereo outs for FL/FR/RL/RR/C/SW, you can use y rca cables to connect to the 5.1 ins of your receiver. or use the digital output (coaxial) to the coaxial in of your receiver.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 03:55 PM »
Tama si pareng bumblebee :)

Most motherboards with integrated Multichannel audio only have the analog outputs (left-right, Surround L-R, Center / Sub) but a lot of newer motherboards have either a (digital coax) spdif out bracket or a Digital Coax on the rear panel.  Some have them on a jumper and you need to make your own Digital Coax to use it.

I'm not too familiar with the latest motherboards out today... but in choosing a motherboard make sure to check the following.

Multi-Channel Audio
Spdif out bracket or Digital output
USB 2.0
SATA (para future proof ka na)

If you will be upgrading to an AthlonXP and budget conscious then the AthlonXP 2500 is still the best bang for the buck. With an Nforce2 Mobo, running this at 200FSB is not very difficult with a good Heatsink Fan and you get an AthlonXP 3200 performance level with an AthlonXP 2500 price tag.

The best talaga are Nforce2 chipset based motherboards.  Look at the chip if its MCP or MCP-T (MCP-T has dolby digital encoding which will convert all analag output to digital).  MCP-T is great because even games that are multi channel, and also WMV-HD video that are multi-channel can be converted into AC-3 on the fly and straight into your reciever/amplifier for true Dolby Digital Surround.

Good Nforce2 MCP-T Motherboard suggestions:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Revision 2.0   - Ultra400, Firewire
Abit NF7-S Revision 2.0 - Ultra400, Firewire
MSI K7N2-Delta ILSR - Ultra400, Firewire
EPOX 8RDA+ (needs optional bracket for spdif output)

All these boards are 400FSB, USB2.0, MCP-T and have Digital Spdif Outputs

I'm not too familiar with Intel and A64s yet.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2004 at 04:06 PM by jpadua »

Offline CocoBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 04:03 PM »
Ala syang kasamang SPDIF out bracket talaga nung mabili ko sya 2001 eh. But I have an Audigy SE 5.1 na kaya lang gusto ko lang masubukan yung on board audio if any good.  Pwede ko pa mabenta yung card + 5.1 speakers ko then just connect to my receiver.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs.

http://www.aopen.ru/tech/techinside/spdif.htm
ALA EH!!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 04:06 PM »
Tama si pareng bumblebee :)

Most motherboards with integrated Multichannel audio only have the analog outputs (left-right, Surround L-R, Center / Sub) but a lot of newer motherboards have either a (digital coax) spdif out bracket or a Digital Coax on the rear panel.  Some have them on a jumper and you need to make your own Digital Coax to use it.

I'm not too familiar with the latest motherboards out today... but in choosing a motherboard make sure to check the following.

Multi-Channel Audio
Spdif out bracket or Digital output
USB 2.0
SATA (para future proof ka na)

If you will be upgrading to an AthlonXP

The best talaga are Nforce2 chipset based motherboards.  Look at the chip if its MCP or MCP-T (MCP-T has dolby digital encoding which will convert all analag output to digital).  MCP-T is great because even games that are multi channel, and also WMV-HD video that are multi-channel can be converted into AC-3 on the fly and straight into your reciever/amplifier

I'm not too familiar with Intel and A64s yet.

thanks sir jpadua. i use athlonxp too but im using a via chipset (kt400). the nforce2 is really my target kaso it's quite pricey. good thing my friendly pc store doesn't have one :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 04:10 PM »
Ala syang kasamang SPDIF out bracket talaga nung mabili ko sya 2001 eh. But I have an Audigy SE 5.1 na kaya lang gusto ko lang masubukan yung on board audio if any good.  Pwede ko pa mabenta yung card + 5.1 speakers ko then just connect to my receiver.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs.

http://www.aopen.ru/tech/techinside/spdif.htm

Most motherboard audio are ok.. but not great.   Why not just use your Audigy SE 5.1 and use the spdif output from the audigy to your Amp/Reciever?

Offline CocoBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 12:43 PM »
I already have a decent 6.1 set-up in the living room and thinking of selling my audigy SE + Inspire na 5.1 kasi, mas mabilis ko cguro mabebenta kung package eh.

TNX
ALA EH!!

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 03:39 AM »
mga peeps saan ba available ang silverstone i mean iyong model na LC03 or LC03V  sa pinas. 

isa lang ang nakitaan ko noon sa GH eh 2nd floor di ko lang alam ang model na naka display nila.  Iyong store na puro acrylic ang case na binebenta.  I think it around 7K

wala kasi dito sa Qatar di pa uso ang HTPC dine. 

LC03

LC03V

TIA
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2004 at 03:43 AM by Qman »

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 04:26 PM »
nasagot na ng silverstone manufacturer ang tanong ko .

wala silang distributor sa pinas and naghahanap daw sila.  Baka me gustong maging distributor diyan , kontakin nyo na si Ms. Nicole Hung ng Taiwan.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 04:38 PM »
QMAN,

Wala pa ngang official distributor and silverstone pero meron nagbebenta ng silverstone dito, sa GH Xtreme-Modz, they have different silverstone products like the LCO3 and LCO2 also some silverstone Accessories like the bay card reader and also their Silent PSU.

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 10:14 PM »
@jpadua,
sir magkano bili nito doon sa htpc case niyo and saan store?