Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342021 times)

Offline andaleon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Music You Can Feel, See and Almost Touch.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #510 on: Jan 07, 2005 at 09:03 PM »
Here are some very nice cases.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product-case.htm

I just don't about availability in the Philippines.

Personal favorites are the Coolermaster Stacker and Centurion 5 (you just have to replace the low power 350W PSU). 

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_class_include&files=chassis.html

These case have front wire mesh air intakes that really keep your PC temperature down!

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: Jan 09, 2005 at 11:43 AM »
I have a Prolink PlayTV@7000 MPEG-2 Card... I think this is compatible with MCE2K5.  I've been wanting to test this card with MCE for a long time :)
Have you tried Meedio?  Its an alternative to MCE but it has a kinda steep learning curve to configure.  I bought a copy last yr.  Although the thing that sucks is that you have to buy the TV component of Meedio which is another cost.... why didnt they just bundled that thing together!

I'm experimenting now with DivX HD.   The new DivX 5.2.1 codec has a new HD profile.  I downloaded this free software called XMPEG, its pretty good! anyway I tried to direct convert a DVD to DivX HD and the picture looks great!  DivX HD automatically converts the material to 1280x720p and does some of its own resize sharpening.   I only managed to test a few seconds of Attack of the Clones... it looks really sharp!  Anyway I left my computer on today at home.  Converting the whole DVD now to HD I want to see if there really is a major difference, but it sure looks super clean based on my test conversion of a few seconds.  Will post back my results.  My only problem now is encoding AC-3 5.1 into the DivX file... I can't seem to find the setting, so far it will process AC-3 and convert it to stereo and encode it on the DivX file, I guess that will have to do for the time being until I figure it out.

Hi sir jay,

Okay po yun exploration nyo ah. You are converting the dvd to DivX HD--> for viewing purposes only on your pc right? Does the software includes converting a 720 x 480 avi file/mpeg2 file to HD 1280x720?

Thank you very much! More questions to come:)

onie.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 08:37 AM »
Hi sir jay,

Okay po yun exploration nyo ah. You are converting the dvd to DivX HD--> for viewing purposes only on your pc right? Does the software includes converting a 720 x 480 avi file/mpeg2 file to HD 1280x720?

onie.

Hi Onie,

If you havea file converter you can convert anything to DivX HD as long as you have the DivX 5 pro 5.2.1 codec :) maraming software out there on the web thats under the GNU licence, so its free.

DVD2AVI (free)
XMPEG (free)

yeah I want to be able to back up my DVDs to my HD, I want to back it up as DivX HD para maganda.  I do this with several steps.

1. DVD Decrypter to Rip the DVD to your Hard disk
2. DVD2AVI to convert to DivX HD and extract AC-3 audio into 2 separate files.
3. AVI Mux Gui to combine the AVI video file with the AC-3 file into one AVI.

Now all you have to do to play it back is to install an AC-3 decoder (which you can download from the web for free)

Now you can watch DivX HD with Multichannel sound!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
HTPC remote control - does anybody need one?
« Reply #513 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 09:57 AM »
Hello my fellow HTPC enthusiasts!

I've got some extra HTPC Imon remotes that I need to sell off...  baka anybody is interested PM me.

Control almost anything via keyboard and set them on any button on the remote.  This is a smart remote, meaning button mappings will change depending on what application is in focus. Control Windows Media Player, Winamp, PowerDVD, WinDVD...anything that can be controlled via keyboard shortcuts.  This remote also has a built in joystick controller which allows you to control your mouse from a distance.

here are some pics to give you an idea
http://www.ahanix.com/detail/imon.html

Reviews:
Design Technica
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1616_main8088.html

I only have 4 left :) let me know guys!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2005 at 09:58 AM by jpadua »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #514 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 11:12 AM »
hi jpadua and other experts here, i want my pc to have digital out, will i need to buy something here?

Mine is intel pentium 4 2.8 / asus p4pez-x 800 / 128 mb radeon power color 9200 se/ 2 x 256 ddr 400 / 80 gb seagate -- tnx
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #515 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
hi jpadua and other experts here, i want my pc to have digital out, will i need to buy something here?

Mine is intel pentium 4 2.8 / asus p4pez-x 800 / 128 mb radeon power color 9200 se/ 2 x 256 ddr 400 / 80 gb seagate -- tnx

your onboard audio should have a digital out. most probably coaxial. pro kung wala, you can avail of sound cards that have them. i only know about the more popular ones such as the audigy's. i'm sure mr jpadua can give you better recommendations.

hope i helped.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 11:44 AM »
Hi Jerix,

I know the Asus P4PE Z has spdif output... check the I/O panel of your motherboard and look if you see what seems to look like an RCA connector. That should be your spdifi output.  Hook up a digital coax (or an rca cable) to it and connect it to the digital coax input of your amp (which should also look like an RCA connector).  On your amp, select digital input.  Make sure that the digital coax you connected to is the the one your amp is going to use.

On your PC open the windows mixer, there should be an advanced button.  Click on advanced and you should be able to see a checkbox that says digital out.  Place a check and close the mixer.

Your PC should be able to output 2channel audio digitally to your amp.  Now on your Software DVD Player, go to the audio tab and select spdif, this would send AC-3 or DTS through your motherboard's digital output to your amp, and your amp will be able to decode Dolby digital or DTS.

hope this helps.

Jay

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 11:52 AM »
Hi sir jay,

onie.

Onie,

I forgot to add, the DivX codec has its own config, when selecting the DivX HD profile, there is a setting somewhere ther for video resize, select 1280x720 for 720p.

Actually my PC is connected to an LCD HDTV... so I can watch them on a bigger screen but yeah its still being run on a PC.  I know there are DivX  HD stand alone players, but they are quite few....  like this one for example http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?p=34  This can hook up to an HDTV so you can watch DivX HD.   Nice thing about it is that the output file is so small it can fit onto a DVD-R! 

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #518 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
sir Jay thnx for your advise -- ill try to explore my pc tonight to discover those things u said...  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 06:55 PM »

I'm experimenting now with DivX HD.   The new DivX 5.2.1 codec has a new HD profile.  I downloaded this free software called XMPEG, its pretty good! anyway I tried to direct convert a DVD to DivX HD and the picture looks great!  DivX HD automatically converts the material to 1280x720p and does some of its own resize sharpening.   I only managed to test a few seconds of Attack of the Clones... it looks really sharp!  Anyway I left my computer on today at home.  Converting the whole DVD now to HD I want to see if there really is a major difference, but it sure looks super clean based on my test conversion of a few seconds.  Will post back my results.  My only problem now is encoding AC-3 5.1 into the DivX file... I can't seem to find the setting, so far it will process AC-3 and convert it to stereo and encode it on the DivX file, I guess that will have to do for the time being until I figure it out.

Bro, I havent tried this, but am really curious........how long does it take to rip DVD to DivX HD?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Jan 12, 2005 at 03:46 AM »
depends on the quality of the compression, if you choose fast mga 1hr pero mas maraming compression, pag slow.. this is the best pero super tagal.. you have to leave it encoding for almost 5hrs pag standard, mga 2hrs siguro

Offline GM

• Collector
  • www.pinoyxbox.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Jan 13, 2005 at 02:35 PM »
One group has managed to create an application that will convert the MS-DVR format used by MCE 2005 to MPEG2 for DVD burning.

TMPeg Express can convert dvr-ms files directly to mpeg,avi or wmv. i always use dCut to archive recorded SDTVs, TMpeg for recorded HDTV shows

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Jan 13, 2005 at 02:57 PM »
TMPeg Express can convert dvr-ms files directly to mpeg,avi or wmv. i always use dCut to archive recorded SDTVs, TMpeg for recorded HDTV shows

Hi GM,

Where do you record your HDTV Streams from?  Yeah TMpeg is cool...   may registration nga lang or wala ba?... I like Xmpeg cause its free :)  I love freeware... the good ones that is.

Jay

Offline doughn

• DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #523 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 02:08 PM »
+

My simple pc .

-p4 2.6
-asus p4v8x-x
-radeon ati 9200 128mb with dvi out
-512mb ddr ram
- sony dvd-cd-rw
-120gb 7200rpm
-yamaha cd-rw external

speakers
nht 7.1  satellites
velodyne spl1200 subs
denon 3802 av receiver :o

or

boston acoustics  2.1 ba635 8)

monitor

36'' sony xbr 800 via dvi input  >:D

or 

17'' aoc lcd monitor  ;D

thanks..... peace man O0

-doughn

7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #524 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 05:13 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good computer dealer shop that is experienced in configuring HTPC? And what price am I looking at if the setup include DVI output (if available na) and digital optical audio output?

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 09:44 AM »

Hello,

Hi sir jay, thank you very much for your reply on the personal message i have sent you. This is a little bit out of topic, i just want to ask if there is anyone here using progressive scanning of there dvd player? I tried connecting my kebao 6089 dvd player which has an input for progressive scanning as well to our tv. But when i tried watching, it appears scrambled using a progressive scan and color red using an interlace configuration. Related ba sya sa bala ng dvd? or cable? gumagana ba talaga yung progressive scan na yun? i believe mas malinaw sya dapat compare to s-video and video-rca.

Thanks everyone.
Onie.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 09:47 AM »
Hello,

Hi sir jay, thank you very much for your reply on the personal message i have sent you. This is a little bit out of topic, i just want to ask if there is anyone here using progressive scanning of there dvd player? I tried connecting my kebao 6089 dvd player which has an input for progressive scanning as well to our tv. But when i tried watching, it appears scrambled using a progressive scan and color red using an interlace configuration. Related ba sya sa bala ng dvd? or cable? gumagana ba talaga yung progressive scan na yun? i believe mas malinaw sya dapat compare to s-video and video-rca.

Thanks everyone.
Onie.

Hi Onie,

Malamang cable yan :) have you tried other cables?  and yes if your TV has provision for progressive scan and your player has progressive scan din.. mas clear yan... 480p kasi.. as compared to s-video which is 480i

Jay

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 10:08 AM »
Salamat po sa reply sir jay ,

I havent tried out other cable, i just began experimenting kagabe, when a friend of mine told that the input R G B, Yca etc something like that is the progressive scan. All along, akala ko, progressive scan is the VGA output compatible for the pc and the HDTV. Try ko bumili ng magandang cable. Talaga bang RCA lang ang ginagamet duon?
Does all dvd support a progressive scan? or meron bala ng dvd na okay ang progressive scan meron Hindi? o Hindi lang talaga related on what movie im watching.

Thanks again,
Onie.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 11:06 AM »
Salamat po sa reply sir jay ,

I havent tried out other cable, i just began experimenting kagabe, when a friend of mine told that the input R G B, Yca etc something like that is the progressive scan. All along, akala ko, progressive scan is the VGA output compatible for the pc and the HDTV. Try ko bumili ng magandang cable. Talaga bang RCA lang ang ginagamet duon?
Does all dvd support a progressive scan? or meron bala ng dvd na okay ang progressive scan meron Hindi? o Hindi lang talaga related on what movie im watching.

Thanks again,
Onie.

Wala sa Disc yan its in the player lang.  Baka settings din ng player mo... there should be a setup page where you can select  Progressive scan. Also make sure na yung setting ng DVD player mo naka YUV or YCbCr not RGB para tamang signal ang lalabas sa component output mo... try again before changing the cable baka video output settings lang sa player mo.

Offline Jett

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
I saw the Syntax LCD at Gateway mall today. Maganda! I was really really tempted to buy one on the spot - but of course with this being a major purchase,  I would need the opinion of those who already own this. I don't have an HTPC (yet) but my PC system is more than capable .

jay, I've never seen these 16:9 screens side by side with "normal" TVs. How does the size compare to a 25" TV? Also, how's the quality if you have it hooked up to cable tv. I would think there would be some black bars on the sides so that the image is shown as 4:3.

For the benefit of everyone (including Hubes who asked if there was a 20" model), I am posting the prices that I got:

SLC-2083 (20") - Php 44,995
SLC-2706 (27") - Php 89,995
SLC-302C (30") - Php 129,995

They had another model which has PIP. In the demo unit that they had, the screen was split in half vertically with the two halves showing different channels)

KLT-2701 (27") Php 114, 995
KLT-3001 (30") Php 154, 995

- Jett

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Jan 16, 2005 at 12:03 AM »
I saw the Syntax LCD at Gateway mall today. Maganda! I was really really tempted to buy one on the spot - but of course with this being a major purchase,  I would need the opinion of those who already own this. I don't have an HTPC (yet) but my PC system is more than capable .

jay, I've never seen these 16:9 screens side by side with "normal" TVs. How does the size compare to a 25" TV? Also, how's the quality if you have it hooked up to cable tv. I would think there would be some black bars on the sides so that the image is shown as 4:3.

For the benefit of everyone (including Hubes who asked if there was a 20" model), I am posting the prices that I got:

SLC-2083 (20") - Php 44,995
SLC-2706 (27") - Php 89,995
SLC-302C (30") - Php 129,995

They had another model which has PIP. In the demo unit that they had, the screen was split in half vertically with the two halves showing different channels)

KLT-2701 (27") Php 114, 995
KLT-3001 (30") Php 154, 995

- Jett

Hi Jett,

Actually before I purchased the TV, I tested it with a DVD and with their D-VHS player.  The quality of the output is dependent on the input. DVD was excellent, D-VHS was absolutley stunning - this is real High Definition Video.  Now the reason why I did not include cable TV as a deciding factor because cable reception varies a lot,  your actual cable connection, connector, even the cable carrier.  My cable TV is not really clear to begin with so I was not expecting much from the Syntax. Also unlike CRT Displays LCDs dont have real blacks (slightly grayish black).  This is a known fact of LCDs and of course CRTs look better.  Some CRT TVs have special settings to improve cable TV and analog sources.  The syntax has Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, and Noise Reduction. There are 4 picture presets, Nature, Bright, Soft and User.  4 levels of backlighting.       Basically the Syntax is a monitor your output is dependent on your input.  With that said, my cable TV viewing is not so great, but im assuming its my cable connection that has the problem and not the TV since, DVD and PC output is superb.  As soon as you plug it into your computer, it was automatically detected as a plug and play monitor.  The Syntax also also has stereo speakers and has an option for SRS. It has 4 Audio presets, News, Music, Movie and User.  You can enable and disable speakers and headphone output.

About 4:3 and 16:9, you can select which aspect ratio you want.  Cable TV is 4:3 so if you choose 16:9 aspect ratio, the picture will be horizonally streched.  If you choose 4:3 you will get black bars on the sides.  There is a special function called panorama which alters the picture by displaying TV as 16:9 and having more strech on the sides of the image, the center of the image does not look too streched.  Zoom mode, crops out the top and bottom of a 4:3 aspect and displays it fullscreen 16:9.

Regarding the more expensive KLT models, these have dual tuners, you can watch 2 channels simultaneously.  But realistically would you watch 2 channels at once? and also the SLC models have a lower dot pitch... (the lower the better).  I'd still go with the SLC models.  They look slick too.

Comparing size, I did compare it with my 29" 4:3 set.  and this 27" Wide is definately bigger by... A LOT.  Especially for widescreen anamorphic DVDs the width maximizes the picture.  On my 29" 4:3 the DVD image is way smaller since there are black bars on the top and bottom.

As for my Opinion, I think of it this way.. its like I bought a TV and a huge PC monitor at an unbeatable price.  PC monitor because you can do PC resolutions up to 1280x720.  You can really work with this as a monitor, you can use apps you would normaly use on a regular PC monitor.  Before I bought this, I was using a 29" Pixel plus, although it was great for watching movies, I simply could not use it productively with PC apps since my resolution is limited to 720x540p, anything higher would be interlaced and would not have readable text.

Playing games is Awesome!!! Half Life 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Battle for Middle earth! HAYOP.   Widescreen gaming is a whole new experience.  I want to try DOOM3 with this, there is a widescreen hack for it! :)

Pros:
1. Good DVD Progressive scan output.
2. Excelent HTPC output via VGA or DVI (currently using DVI)
3. HD content is very sharp
4. Doubles as a TV and a PC monitor since you can work as close as 1-2Feet away from the LCD without radiation
5. PC compatible resolutions VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA
6. Multiple inputs: Composite, S-video, 2 separate Component inputs (autosensing progressive/interlaced),VGA and DVI inputs. 
7. You can't beat the price!

Cons:
1. Cable TV looks fuzzy and a bit washed out (this could be due to my cable)
2. VGA and DVI cannot be used simultaneously. (although you can connect to PC's to it, you can only use them one at a time)
3. Remote control's response time is a bit slow.  (Kolin is replacing my remote control unit)
4. Sleep timer is only up to 30 Minutes

My verdict:

TV viewing is normal, nothing spectacular. Watching DVDs Widescreen and using as a PC monitor is excellent. Since it doubles as a PC monitor and a TV you really get value for your money.  Compared to other LCDs with the same specs the price is unbeatable.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Jan 16, 2005 at 09:40 AM »
 Hello guys, I need tech help! My current setup in P4 3.2 g on a MSI NEO board with SPDIF and 1 g of RAM, Video card is 6800 XT Nvidia. I am using Thearter Tek 2.0 w/ ffdshow. My problem is the irritating stuterring which occurs, especially when viewing video sources and cartoons. I tried ReClock, but it is imcompatible with my video card. Also how do you upscale without appearing like it was zoomed up image? My monitor is the 55" PDP Hitachi 55MA550 using DVI-D set at 1024 x 768.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005 at 08:43 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 01:14 AM »
Hello guys, I need tech help! My current setup in P4 3.2 g on a MSI NEO board with SPDIF and 1 g of RAM, Video card is 6800 XT Nvidia. I am using Thearter Tek 2.0 w/ ffdshow. My problem is the irritating lag which occurs, especially when viewing video sources and cartoons. I tried ReClock, but it is imcompatible with my video card. Also how do you upscale without appearing like it was zoomed up image? My monitor is the 55" Hitachi 55MA550 using DVI-D set at 1024 x 768.

What version of FFdshow are you using? There are other builds that are optimized for SSE and SSE2.  Also when resizing, you should be careful not to oversharpen the image.  Its all a matter of personal preference... some people use lancoz resize. On my old setup using a Pixelplus CRT Lancoz looked great, now on an LCD screen I prefer Area for resize its a bit softer but looks better.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 08:37 AM »
Hello Jay,

I'm using the 20041012 release of ffshow. After going though AVS forum and HTPC news, I see that the stuttering problem isn't an isolated problem. I couldn't find a specific fix in the forums :'( :'(.I went to Listening Room Megamall to compare my HTPC with their DVD player, especially the Pioneer DV-969AVi. We agreed that the PQ is only comparable to a 420p picture using the Theater Tek.  :-[ :-[ He was using HDMI while I used DVI. How did you set yours up to beat the 1080i quality of HDMI dvd player?  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005 at 08:44 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 08:59 AM »
Hello Jay,

I'm using the 20041012 release of ffshow. After going though AVS forum and HTPC news, I see that the stuttering problem isn't an isolated problem. I couldn't find a specific fix in the forums :'( :'(.I went to Listening Room Megamall to compare my HTPC with their DVD player, especially the Pioneer DV-969AVi. We agreed that the PQ is only comparable to a 420p picture using the Theater Tek.  :-[ :-[ He was using HDMI while I used DVI. How did you set yours up to beat the 1080i quality of HDMI dvd player?  :o :o :o

It all depends...

When you connected to the TV what resolution were you using?  It's always best to set your Hardware Video resolution to the Display's native resolution.  What kind of TV did you connect to? 

When using FFDshow, I resize the picture to 1280x720 (if the display device is 720p) so I get 1:1 pixel mapping and my Video resolution is also 1280x720.   On bigger displays, sharpen the image only enough to highlight little things like cloth, fabrics, texture I personally use a setting of 12 unsharp mask.  Use Denoise 3D to make the image smoother with less grain chroma .05 luma .05 time.5 HQ.  Lancoz resize 1280x720 using tap 2 chroma 0 luma 1.5 This gives me the best PQ on my setup.  I'm using Zoomplayer with WinDVD Codecs.

Without postprocessing, your PQ can equal a high-end DVI/HDMI player.  Both doing hardware scaling to the display.  The advantage you have over that would be the power to tweak your post processing to get more detail out of your video.   

There is an FFDshow build thats really good, I forgot which one but its not the latest one... look for a post in HTPC news about an FFDshow build that allows users to scale to 1920x1080 using Lancoz tap10 with CPU at 50%   this is the fast one... personally I dont use this one simply because mine is working well with my setuo (the latest build of FFDshow).

You can not really use a 480p source and expect equal PQ as HD streams or Video, even though your video output is 720p/1080i your source is still the DVD which is 480p.  You have to tweak your FFDshow settings to get more detail, which at the correct viewing distance would look almost or really close to High Definition.   

Are you a member of HTPCnews? I'm active in those forums, I designed that website with Brad about a yr and a half ago (Brad is the owner of HTPC news).  My user name there is also jpadua. 

See you there too!

Jay 

By the way about your stuttering problem,  it could be your version of FFDshow.. try other builds.  Your setup seems to have trouble video material, I used to have this problem but that was when I was using an AthlonXP 2500.  Fixed it though with another build of FFDshow.  Also had this problem with a P3.2, I turned off Hyperthreading, that seemed to to the trick.  I though it was ok to not use Hyperthreading since I didnt have any applications that use Hyperthreading in the first place.  Also try other software DVD players.  I never really tried Theatertek 2.0 simply because it was really expensive...  Zoomplayer just gave me more options, using different combination of video and audio codecs... ZP is only $24.  The one advantage i saw before with Theatertek is that it was fullscreen only, but you can do that with ZP too by using a switch zoomplayer.exe /LOCKFS  this will lock ZP in fullscreen mode, also TT2.0 only allows you to use Nvidia codecs. 

I never had a chance to try a 6800 ive always used ATI, check AVS Forums, I believe I saw a thread on the 6800 having problems with video, as compared to the 6600GT.  checkout this thread from 6800 users on AVS forums you might find a solution here also
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=441351

Another possible source of the problem might be scaling.  I know the 6800 has a setting to select overscan, desktop (with start button) and underscan through the drivers, I believe using anything other than overscan would result to stuttering because of scaling issues.  If I get overscan at the correct frequency settings I always leave it at that because that is as native as i can get resulting to no incorrect scaling.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005 at 09:57 AM by jpadua »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 09:02 AM »
Mouldingo,

Oh by the way why dont you post a picture of your setup here too!  What HTPC case are you using?

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 05:08 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for the impression.  And I saw it on sale at Glorietta... and I wanted it too... he he he... unfortunately, I already own a 17" LCD TV and dual it w/ a Viewsonic 17 CRT... my problem is what to do with these if I get that 27 LCD TV.  ^_^

My biggest reservation is actually the resolution. I run my rig at 1280x1024... (and I don't do DVD nor TV on my rig... that job, includinging Xbox and PS2 gaming is reserved for my 55" Philips RPTV.) and I feel at 27" I think I should at least get 1920x1080 native ^_^  or maybe it's just me.  he he he...

The price is attractive, I can say that much... easily affordable if I say so myself...

Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 05:13 PM »
Question though... There are 2 YPrPb inputs right?  Or is one the DVI/VGA port?  And do these ports automatically switch to YCbCr? (Need to know coz of this insane thing Sony did w/ the new GT4 game)   Also what did you mean about the DVI and VGA ports?  Don't you or can't you put two different sources, and just switch over w/ the remote or the on display buttons? 
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005 at 05:14 PM by bravoexo »
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 09:41 PM »
Mouldingo,

Oh by the way why dont you post a picture of your setup here too!  What HTPC case are you using?

Thanks Jay for your input. My HTPC case is the Siverstone LC01, got it from Xtreme Modz. It was connected to the (ahem) 55" Plasma of Hitachi. You're right with the price of TheaterTek, quite painful. But the nice thing about it is you can adjust the custom resize of the screen per DVD. And you can set it up directly with ffshow. Monitor resolution is set at DVI with 1024 x 768. Can't get any higher than that. I have another computer now with HTPC config. The other one has the Themaltake Tsunami Dream Silver case. This one runs a AMD 64 3.0 g, 512 mb ram, ATI 9800SE 128 mb connected to a 19" Samsung 193P LCD set at 1280x1024. Becuz of this stuttering thing, I tried using WinDVD 6 on both machines. Both still stutters but not as bad as the TheaterTek. I turned off ffshow and they still stutter. Is there a one off program that can help me? :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2005 at 09:01 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Jan 18, 2005 at 02:36 AM »
Question though... There are 2 YPrPb inputs right?  Or is one the DVI/VGA port?  And do these ports automatically switch to YCbCr? (Need to know coz of this insane thing Sony did w/ the new GT4 game)   Also what did you mean about the DVI and VGA ports?  Don't you or can't you put two different sources, and just switch over w/ the remote or the on display buttons? 

Hi Bravoexo,

Yeah its really a cool deal, 1920x1080 might be too high a desktop resolution for me, I very comfy with 1280x720 :)   yup there are 2 Component Inputs (2 YPrPb), both can accept 480p, 720p, 1080i (possible 540p).  So I believe they both auto switch.  I have yet to test it but it does say on the label for both inputs HDTV IN (hdtv is technically YCbCr).  About DVI and VGA port, these are two separate connectors, but you can only use them one at a time.  I tried connected 2 PCs to it, on on the VGA port the other on the DVI port.  When I turn on PC1 with VGA I get a signal... when I turn off PC1 and use PC2 on DVI I get a signal.  If I turn them both on, I only get signal from PC2 on DVI.  So you cant have two devices running simultaneously and switch via remote.  Convenient enough to have 2 devices hooked up and no need to switch cables but one device has to be off. I'll use it soon if I get myself a MAC mini! :D