Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342352 times)

Offline mauers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #570 on: Jan 31, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
Question for sir jpadua, what is the native resolution of your philips pixelplus when connected via VGA and using NTSC videos? I have a 29" 4:3 pixelplus tv and I am building an HTPC for it.
Thanks

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: Jan 31, 2005 at 07:03 PM »
Jpadua,
how much ram would be needed? Would Windows XP be sufficient already? Also, can you pm the price of the Accent HT-400.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 08:53 AM »
Question for sir jpadua, what is the native resolution of your philips pixelplus when connected via VGA and using NTSC videos? I have a 29" 4:3 pixelplus tv and I am building an HTPC for it.
Thanks

with my experience with the pixel plus the best resolution was 720x540.   I was also able to use 800x600@50hz full screen.  These interlaced resolutions also work with the pixel plus.  1024x768i, 1280x1024i and 1920x1080i.   1024x768 has black borders top bottom and sides so its not good.  800x600 is good for games but 1280x1024i is the best full screen. Good for games if your PC is fast enough.  1920x1080i is ok for movies but you can barely read any text.  1280x960i is also allowed but there will be a slight distorion of the image, streched horizontally.

Make several profiles.
720x540p for DVD Progressive scan
800x600p @50hz for Web Browsing and Gaming
1280x1024i for gaming
1920x1080i for DVD Interlaced (Picture is slightly better than 540p)

Jpadua,
how much ram would be needed? Would Windows XP be sufficient already? Also, can you pm the price of the Accent HT-400.

I would suggest a minimum of 512MB DDR  but its always good to have headroom.  So 1GB or ram would be the best (di ka mabibitin when you need it). You only need the CPU power and Ram when doing software decoding and post processing (which is the choice of most) if you just want to use your PC for a regular DVD player then Hardware acceleration DXVA is good enough and doesnt need that much CPU and memory overhead.

Sent you a PM

Jay
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2005 at 08:56 AM by jpadua »

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 04:50 PM »
jay any development sa silvestone transaction mo?

Offline mauers

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 02:55 PM »
with my experience with the pixel plus the best resolution was 720x540.   I was also able to use 800x600@50hz full screen.  These interlaced resolutions also work with the pixel plus.  1024x768i, 1280x1024i and 1920x1080i.   1024x768 has black borders top bottom and sides so its not good.  800x600 is good for games but 1280x1024i is the best full screen. Good for games if your PC is fast enough.  1920x1080i is ok for movies but you can barely read any text.  1280x960i is also allowed but there will be a slight distorion of the image, streched horizontally.

Make several profiles.
720x540p for DVD Progressive scan
800x600p @50hz for Web Browsing and Gaming
1280x1024i for gaming
1920x1080i for DVD Interlaced (Picture is slightly better than 540p)

Jay

Thanks for the reply Sir Jay! I'll try these resolutions this weekend :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 01:21 AM »
jay any development sa silvestone transaction mo?

PAreng Qman,

Looks like matatagalan pa... Right not wala pa akong way to bring it in... have to talk pa to my friend based in China to help in the shipping and stuff.  They allowed me to order a few units for trial lang.. so it looks like one time deal lang to with Silverstone, they will allow me to distribute if I order I think about 10 or more cases but that involes too much overhead for me.  Konti lang bibili kasi.

Jay

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 10:43 AM »
Hi Dokie, I'm not sure if there is an s-video to component adaptor or if there is (acc. john doe's post) you would still be getting an s-video signal.  Just through a different kind of cable.  The video output coming from the s-video port is already a downsized pc resolutions permanently configured at 480i.   I doubt you will see much of a difference using an s-video to component cable ot a straight s-video connection to your TV.

You dont have to spend for a component cable.. just plug the s-video cable straight into your TV's s-video inputs.  Most modern TVs have an S-video  video input.

jpadua,

what kind of connection do you use to connect your PC to your TV? component? what videocard accomodates component output? thanks!
Quo vadis?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
jpadua,

what kind of connection do you use to connect your PC to your TV? component? what videocard accomodates component output? thanks!

Right now I'm using DVI.  Most modern video cards have DVI outputs.  I'm currently using a 27" Wide LCD.

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Music You Can Feel, See and Almost Touch.
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Feb 14, 2005 at 03:38 PM »
wrATH asks:

"what videocard accomodates component output? "

The ASUS X-300 has a component video out.

It's a PCI Express card however,

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #579 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 09:12 PM »
I'm a newbie in HTPC set up and now thinking of getting one in order to take advantage of my soon to be purchased Samsung DLP that has both DVI & HDMI input. I'm so confused with many things & seek your kind advices. Recently got even confuse when a salesman told me in ATI Radeon 9000 series, there are at least 5 different models??

Found the following specs in Windows Media High Definition Video site:

Optimum Configuration
(to play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
DVD drive
1920 x 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround sound speaker system

I'm totally loss of what the above are all about. All I know I need a good video card & sound card. All those RAM or REM beats me  :-[ May I know any good & realiable computer shops that carry or can set up the above specs & what brand/models do u recommend?

I presume the above recommended specs should have DVI & HDMI output so that I can connect to my HDTV display. Thanks guys! :)
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2005 at 09:15 PM by pchin »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: Mar 12, 2005 at 04:11 AM »
I'm a newbie in HTPC set up and now thinking of getting one in order to take advantage of my soon to be purchased Samsung DLP that has both DVI & HDMI input. I'm so confused with many things & seek your kind advices. Recently got even confuse when a salesman told me in ATI Radeon 9000 series, there are at least 5 different models??

Found the following specs in Windows Media High Definition Video site:

Optimum Configuration
(to play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
DVD drive
1920 x 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround sound speaker system

I'm totally loss of what the above are all about. All I know I need a good video card & sound card. All those RAM or REM beats me  :-[ May I know any good & realiable computer shops that carry or can set up the above specs & what brand/models do u recommend?

I presume the above recommended specs should have DVI & HDMI output so that I can connect to my HDTV display. Thanks guys! :)

Hi pchin,

Yeah building an HTPC is really a custom kinda thing, there is no exact specification on what kind of hardware you need.  The windows media high definition video requirements are good if you intend to really watch and play HD recorded streams or files (which is not much, not unless you have a place to get all of those).  The abundant source of video material we have here in the PH is DVDs.  Those specs are actually very very good.  I'm only running an AthlonXP 2500 (overclocked to 3200) and it can play 720p clips just fine.. 1080i will skip a bit here and there.

Most computer shops would be able to get the parts you need.

This is what I would buy though If I were to build myself a new system.

Windows XP professional (Operating System)
Athlon64 3200
Nforce4 Motherboard
1GB Ram
Ati 9800XT 128
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (if using a pvr-250) , Audigy2 (if using a leadtek Winfast XP)
Hauppague PVR-250 capture card (unfortunately this is not available here, but a Leadtek Winfast XP will do)
Good stable power supply (Enermax or HEC, Antec if I had money to burn)

However this would be a really expensive machine.

Minimum would be (in my opinion)

Windows XP Home
AthlonXP 2500
Nforce 2 Motherboard with soundstorm
512mb ram
ATI 9600Pro or XT
Leadtek winfast XP
HEC Silent OP

This is a more affordable option.

Modern video cards have DVI output so you would be able to connect to your samsung DLP
Your soundcard should have spdif output if you want to connect it to a home theater amplifier

Even with a minimum setup you will be able to have great video quality.  The more powerfull specs would be required if you plan to do a lot of DVD convertion, Video Capturing and Editing, and Recording.  Also upscaling DVDs will have more headroom if you have a more powerful pc.

Other hardware brands I would recommend:
Samsung DVD-Rom (quiet)
Lite-on DVD-Writer (Flashable to Dual-Layer)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: Mar 12, 2005 at 04:17 AM »
Correction on the Syntax LCD,

I posted before that you can only use either VGA or DVI one at a time.  Mali pala ako :D  I have it connected to 2 PC's isa VGA and another sa DVI and I can switch pc's via remote of the TV.

Offline GM

• Collector
  • www.pinoyxbox.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: Mar 12, 2005 at 06:56 AM »
jay,

yung syntax lcd mo ba yung olevia? muntik na kong makakuha nyan nung magsale dito for $799 :)

btw, Windows Media Center 2005 will be released to 20 additional countries HK,Taiwan & Singapore included. susunod na Pinas dyan(sana...  :))

i recently added a Hauppage PVR250 MCE in my HTPC. now, I have 2 SDTV and 1 HDTV recorder, most of the time, recording at the same time. hehehe. addict na sa TV.

Correction on the Syntax LCD,

I posted before that you can only use either VGA or DVI one at a time.  Mali pala ako :D  I have it connected to 2 PC's isa VGA and another sa DVI and I can switch pc's via remote of the TV.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2005 at 07:00 AM by GM »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: Mar 13, 2005 at 01:54 AM »
jay,

yung syntax lcd mo ba yung olevia? muntik na kong makakuha nyan nung magsale dito for $799 :)

btw, Windows Media Center 2005 will be released to 20 additional countries HK,Taiwan & Singapore included. susunod na Pinas dyan(sana...  :))

i recently added a Hauppage PVR250 MCE in my HTPC. now, I have 2 SDTV and 1 HDTV recorder, most of the time, recording at the same time. hehehe. addict na sa TV.

I think they are different models, the Olevia is made by syntax the one i have doesnt look the same as the olevia, but its a great LCD monitor! I love it 27" of widescreen goodness, and it doubles as a PC monitor too, widescreen gaming is awesome!

About MCE sa pinas I dunno how they are gonna do that, MCE relies on Electronic Program guides, So if MCE does come out here, I sure hope MS will be able to have an EPG for philippine cable operators ready by then.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Mar 13, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
Thanks jpadua for the great advice tho I'm a little bit loss here. Man, those specs are too deep for me. Will need some time to digest it. Probably after consulting a computer dealer & seeing those things with my own eyes, the whole pix will be clearer.  ;D

Yes, my main intention is to play DVD esp WMVHD Terminator 2 & other HD movies plus video/DVD editing & recording. Thanks again jpadua :)

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: Mar 18, 2005 at 03:10 PM »
Out Intel, In AMD..

New configuration:

1.) AMD FX-55 CPU
2.) Asus AN8-SLI motherboard
3.) Two NVidia 6800 Ultra in SLI Mode
4.) 2GB DDR-400 RAM
5.) M-Audio Audiophile 24/192 Soundcard.

Other than that everything stays  the same.

Need GAMING Advice:

A PC store saleman suggested that I should try PC Gaming with a rig like mine.

I have been doing a lot of video editing and Hi Def Archiving but have not looked at what seems to an exciting world of PC Gaming. Maybe I just did not have the time.

I am a newbie when it comes to Gaming.

I asked a couple of friends and I'll ask you guys:

What do you recommend? What gear?

I have always like Flying, so maybe I should start with a Flight Simulator. Any suggestions?

Few changes I made to my HTPC :

1.) Pentium 4 3.4GHz 550 Procesor 800 MHz FSB, 1MB Cache-Overclocked to 3.9 Ghz
2.) Asus P5AD2 Motherboard, PCI Express, 1394B Firewire 800
3.) Radeon X800 XT Platinum PCI Express-16 Video Card-OVERCLOCKED
4.) Two 250 GB Each SATA Drives, RAID 0 Array
5.) Two 34 GB Each RAPTOR Drives (10,000 RPM, SATA) for OS and Program Files RAID 0 Array
6.) 1 GB DDR2 PC2-4300 RAM Overclocked to 600 Mhz
7.) DVico Fusion 3 Gold HDTV card ATSC/QAM,
8.) M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Sound Card,
9.) Sony DVD DRU-700 Dual Layer DVD+-R/RW drive.
10.) Monarchy Audio 24/96 Digital Interface Processor (DIP) for jitter reduction.
11.) CoolerMaster Stacker Case with Crossflow fan

12.) Two 550W Antec True Power Power Supplies
13.) Two Antec Hard Drive coolers
14.) Two Removable 250 GB EIDE Drives-

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #586 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 08:58 AM »
hi...i started assemblying my htpc.  i have the following hardwares:
athlon 64 on K8N Neo MOBO
Radeon 9600 xt
Win Fast tv 2000xp
SB Live! Value with digital I/O daughter board
512MB RAM (dadagdagan ko pa ng 1GB RAM)

wala pa akong dvd drive as well as a big enough HDD but i will be getting soon na rin.
These are my questions:
1.  I tried to download some front end freewares pero i cant seem to figure how to configure it.  meron bang tutorials ito or are these softwares dependent upon a particular hardwares or softwares. i tried to use showshifter pero i cant get to navigate through it.   i suspect that i need first to have a dvd drive-tama kaya yun?
2.  i will be hooking this htpc to my samsung 43 inches that has a dvi input.  do i need any further tweaking?

ty po...your comment/recommendations will be highly appreciated.

mods,
i posted this at the wrong place earlier. i tried to delete my post pero di ko alam kung successful.
ty po
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2005 at 09:00 AM by agmjr »

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #587 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 04:18 PM »
Out Intel, In AMD..

New configuration:

1.) AMD FX-55 CPU
2.) Asus AN8-SLI motherboard
3.) Two NVidia 6800 Ultra in SLI Mode
4.) 2GB DDR-400 RAM
5.) M-Audio Audiophile 24/192 Soundcard.

Other than that everything stays  the same.

Wow, I envy you...your setup seem to last only for a couple of months before upgrading all over again!  ;D

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 11:11 PM »
It is kinda convenient because people come over and say, "can you build me one like that?".

My easy answer always is "here you can take this one"

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Mar 21, 2005 at 08:23 PM »
A question. If I use the DVI output from my HTPC & connect it direct to a TV say the Samsung DLP with DVI input (which has this HDCP protection), is this compatible? Acoording to reviews both DVI terminals must support the HDCP otherwise the high definition contents will be scale downed?? How can I be sure the DVI from my HTPC is with HDPC? :(

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 12:55 AM »
A question. If I use the DVI output from my HTPC & connect it direct to a TV say the Samsung DLP with DVI input (which has this HDCP protection), is this compatible? Acoording to reviews both DVI terminals must support the HDCP otherwise the high definition contents will be scale downed?? How can I be sure the DVI from my HTPC is with HDPC? :(

Hmmmm,

Actually I'm not sure... DVI is still pretty tricky, sometimes it depends on the Set, on some HDTVs DVI works without a hitch on some, ayaw talaga mag sync ng tama... The best way is to look for someone who has the same TV to test it, look for other users who have tried it.  Anyway the newer HDTVs are mostly PC ready, unlike the older ones which didnt have PC connections in mind (HDTV Set Top Boxes only).  The model prior to the latest one works in DVI, There are several PDVD members who use the Samsung DLP with DVI  you can ask them. In anycase that is an awesome TV.   

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Finally HTPCs are being noticed!
« Reply #591 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 01:02 AM »
Hey guys,

Finally the HTPC is getting a little media milage.   Just had a shoot with Digital Tour! They are doing a Segment on the HTPC, They interviewed me and I demo'd one our HTPC's in an awesome Theater Room (Automated Lighting, Glassbeaded / Motorized screen, naka Neutron) na dinesign ng kaparter ko sa HTPC biz namin.  It was pretty long, so medyo marami intro info about what it can do. So for those na di pa nakakakita ng HTPC in action check out the show! :)

Its going to be aired on Studio 23 on August 6 sa Digital Tour!

Cheers!

Jay

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 12:48 PM »

A TV, like the Samsung DLP,  treats DVI video from a PC differently from the DVI output of say--a DVD player.

When it sees a PC signal, it does not expect a HDCP handshake. Some TV you have to set the DVI input to PC-DVI  input or Video-DVI input.

I don't know of any PC that transmits HDCP.

Your set-up should work.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005 at 12:51 PM by andaleon »

Offline GM

• Collector
  • www.pinoyxbox.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 10:32 AM »
im not sure kung na da downscale yung output,i have a media center PC connected into a Tosh HD RPTV and I'm using Powerstrip to output 1280x720p(though its a pain to use Powerstip, its worth it when you got the right combo).

i think you'll need that when you connect your HTPC into your DLP and also your video card will also play a big factor if you'll be playing a lot of HD contents

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #594 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 12:27 PM »
A TV, like the Samsung DLP,? treats DVI video from a PC differently from the DVI output of say--a DVD player.

When it sees a PC signal, it does not expect a HDCP handshake. Some TV you have to set the DVI input to PC-DVI? input or Video-DVI input. I don't know of any PC that transmits HDCP. Your set-up should work.
Hmmmm, Actually I'm not sure... DVI is still pretty tricky, sometimes it depends on the Set, on some HDTVs DVI works without a hitch on some, ayaw talaga mag sync ng tama... The best way is to look for someone who has the same TV to test it, look for other users who have tried it. Anyway the newer HDTVs are mostly PC ready, unlike the older ones which didnt have PC connections in mind (HDTV Set Top Boxes only). The model prior to the latest one works in DVI, There are several PDVD members who use the Samsung DLP with DVI you can ask them. In anycase that is an awesome TV.

Thanks guys. Yes I do hope the DLP DVI will ignore the HDCP from my PC signal....I hav epurchased all my HTPC parts na....in teh process of assembly...unfortunately I can't find a proper Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card that has a digital optical output (24 bit 192 khz) so that I can connect it to my HI-FI. The only card available in Willman is the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Eidtion which is selling at a whopping 12K!!! I searched every where inclusing most PC Express branches, Pasang Tamo, megamall, etc... :( Pls advise....tks!

Offline RDyENT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 12:32 PM »
Sir Jay,

Pinoydvd member ba yun owner ng HTPC and HT room that was featured sa DTour last night?
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2005 at 12:34 PM by RDyENT »

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 01:19 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes I do hope the DLP DVI will ignore the HDCP from my PC signal....I hav epurchased all my HTPC parts na....in teh process of assembly...unfortunately I can't find a proper Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card that has a digital optical output (24 bit 192 khz) so that I can connect it to my HI-FI.

You may have to set your DLP TV to expect DVI-PC and not DVI-Video.

Your PC will not transmit HDCP but your TV is expecting that it will receive HDCP anyway since it sees a computer source and not a DVD player.

Looking for Toslink (optical) output and not willing to spend on a good soundcard? Find a good motherboard that has Toslink (optical) output  already!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 02:23 PM »
Sir Jay,

Pinoydvd member ba yun owner ng HTPC and HT room that was featured sa DTour last night?

Hi Rydent,

Yung owners hindi ata eh, cliente lang namin nag paalam kami if we could use thier HT room for the Dtour Feature.  (BTW ako yung kalbo iniinterview dun heheh)....

Jay

Offline RDyENT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 07:43 PM »
Hi Rydent,

Yung owners hindi ata eh, cliente lang namin nag paalam kami if we could use thier HT room for the Dtour Feature. (BTW ako yung kalbo iniinterview dun heheh)....

Jay

:) I knew it was you na po. Galing talaga ng HTPC guru! :)

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 12:48 AM »
Need some help here.  What else do I need to have the ultimate HTPC??

Here's my current setup
Foxxconn Motherboard (661FX4MR-ES)
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3E Ghz (imb L2-Cache, 800 Mhz FS8, PGA-478 Pkg)
512 RAM
Aoc monitor 5nE (15")

What the best sound card,Video card.or what the best hardwares to have the best HTPC??? ;D