Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342373 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #780 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 04:48 AM »
hi jay, this is tim the friend of hans(focal), havent had much time to fool around with MCE but I sold a few setups awhile back for a crazy amount ;).  This is actually the first time I installed MCE for myself that's why I'm actually taking time to explore other aspects of the OS.  I imported the hauppauge tuners from hauppauge in NY, their dual tuners work great! I also imported cases form Silverstone before, I can help you get dealers prices if you dont have them yet,  I got my company listed under the Philippine dealer for a huge order I did a while back.  I also brought in a few MS remotes before from the states.  I just used the parts I had left over and decided to put together a low cost MCE box for myself. I still have one OEM hauppauge tuner(single tuner) but its MCE 2005 version so it comes with a FM tuner.  Regarding my problem with the EPG,  yes, I am using TVXB and Bladerunner pro  I dont know yet I will fool around with it some more.  Any other solutions I am really stuck?

Hi Tim! yeah sa yo ko binili yung Matantz SR4300 :) by the way nasira yung remote ko ng marantz saan ba nakakabili ng replacement?

Try using TVXB straight without bladerunner kaya? they have a guide to use MCE with TVXB lang... you can manually set the time offset sa TVXB ini file pero mabusisi....I'll have to experiment pa with it. :) regarding silverstone ok yan.. the price they give me is also dealer price but since small quantity lang inoorder ko mas mahal sa shipping, I used to get my cases from Aristec (formerly Kanam)... So far ive been using media portal, it has a time offset kasi, havent really tried TVXB with Media Center yet kasi wala akong "original copy" :) so I dont toy around with it much but I have an order for a licenced MCE OS which im still waiting for.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006 at 04:55 AM by jpadua »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #781 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 08:53 AM »
Most of the newer displays sport Hdmi inputs , and as Pc's only provide DVI outputs .. Some of you might want to join a group buy for

HDMI DVI Cable 28AWG w/Ferrite Cores Gold-Plated

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=48880.0

Jay Thanks ....
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006 at 08:57 AM by jambam »

Offline timMCE

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #782 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 10:45 PM »
by the way nasira yung remote ko ng marantz saan ba nakakabili ng replacement?

I'll have to ask hans or baka I can still get in touch with the importer of marantz.  I got my first case from kanam, shipped straight from korea, mahal!
I have an order for a licenced MCE OS which im still waiting for.
meron pa ako sealed OEM 2005 version, but I dont have a spare remote right now. If you want the OS bigay ko sayo mura. ;)   I can try to convince Silverstone to go below 20 pc min. order if you need a small volume order. 
they have a guide to use MCE with TVXB lang
can you point me to that guide, all I got was "TVxb with Bladeruuner pro MCE guide" I thought bladerunner was the one used to fool MCE into thinking it was downloading from from the internet? anyway I guess magpupuyat pa ako :'(

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 03:03 AM »
I'll have to ask hans or baka I can still get in touch with the importer of marantz.  I got my first case from kanam, shipped straight from korea, mahal!  meron pa ako sealed OEM 2005 version, but I dont have a spare remote right now. If you want the OS bigay ko sayo mura. ;)   I can try to convince Silverstone to go below 20 pc min. order if you need a small volume order.  can you point me to that guide, all I got was "TVxb with Bladeruuner pro MCE guide" I thought bladerunner was the one used to fool MCE into thinking it was downloading from from the internet? anyway I guess magpupuyat pa ako :'(

Thanks tim, I miss my remote :) about MCE2005 I have it on order na.
I just checked the TVxb website again, mukhang wala na yung guide, naging bladerunner na nga...before kasi when I first got TVxb wala pang bladerunner.  Did you try using UTC time?

A workaround is to convert all program times to UTC time. You can do this by adding the following line to the top "general" section of the tvxb.ini file:

special=utctime

Ako kasi, first install ko mali din yung scheds example, on my EPG sa media portal it shows today the show thats supposed to be 2 days from now... parang ganun yung problem ko before, so I think I offset -48hrs sa media portal tapos nag sync yung show schedules.  But honestly I dont remember what I did, kalikot lang ng kalitkot sa offset until nag match yung show schedules sa click the city (where tvxb gets all my scheds).  I also did a trick that worked, created a batch file to delete all the stored html before downloading new html schedules.

!--main parameters--
special=utctime
xmltvoutput=C:\TVxb\xml\tvguide.xml
mcechanneloutput=C:\TVxb\xml\ChannelInfo.XML
htmlencoding=iso-8859-1
xmlencoding=iso-8859-1
lang=en
auto=yes
days=7,+1
precommand=pre-processing.bat

yung pre-processing.bat is a batch file I made to delete the stuff in the html folder para bago lahat when I run tvxb.

pag naka install na ako ng MCE I can experiment again with TVXB and Bladerunner.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
coolest running processor?
« Reply #784 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 03:11 AM »
what's the coolest running Athlon processor?

A64 with venice cores
A64 X2
Dual Core opteron?

Goin to build a new HTPC but I'm forced to use a 1U rackmount size heatsink fan specially made for the case, I'm not expecting really good noise/cooling efficiency with this cooler so I need a processor tha will generate the least heat on load, any ideas?

I heard dual core opterons run at 24c idle with stock cooling... not sure though

Thanks

Jay

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #785 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 08:30 AM »
Jay , an opteron , we have some sun servers sa office all in 1U using amd opterons, versus dell w/ intel p4's and you know w/c ones go down as soon as the room temp goes up.

If you are lucky w/ the X2 ok din my brother has a 3800 x2  running at 1.3v but it goes 2.5 GHz versus 1.8Ghz  stock.. Sa opteron normal na lower voltage ang default niya kaya mas malamig.

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
Re: coolest running processor?
« Reply #786 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 02:20 PM »
what's the coolest running Athlon processor?

A64 with venice cores
A64 X2
Dual Core opteron?

Goin to build a new HTPC but I'm forced to use a 1U rackmount size heatsink fan specially made for the case, I'm not expecting really good noise/cooling efficiency with this cooler so I need a processor tha will generate the least heat on load, any ideas?

I heard dual core opterons run at 24c idle with stock cooling... not sure though

Thanks

Jay

Athlon 64 and Sempron 64 both idle at 33-34C using stock HSF .

For comparison, a P4 LGA775, idles at around 48C stock HSF

Offline timMCE

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:01 AM »
pre-processing.bat is a batch file I made
nice idea. Can you list the contents of the batch file so I can customize my own(in short pa-copya)  ??? I'm inserting the UTC command line, let you know what happens. Thanks Jay.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:03 AM by timMCE »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:31 AM »
nice idea. Can you list the contents of the batch file so I can customize my own(in short pa-copya)  ??? I'm inserting the UTC command line, let you know what happens. Thanks Jay.

Oh just create a batchfile and name it pre-processing.bat  set it to delete all the contents of the html folder in the TVXB directory so it will always get a fresh copy of the schedules.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:34 AM »
Oh Tim, by the way... you said you still had a sealed copy of Windows MCE? pa PM nalang ng price thanks! Meron ka pang Hauppage Dual Tuner and MCE remote lying around?

Jay
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:35 AM by jpadua »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #791 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:22 AM »
I'd like to ask if any member has used & tested his HDTV using a HTPC setup thru downloaded high definition material in at least 720p resolution? Will your HDTV gives you the full 720p?  :)

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:38 AM »
Hi Pchin, I was able to view, in full, some true 720p HD videos on a 1280px by 720px projector (Panasonic AE900) and an HD-capable RPTV. I've also tried 1080i and 1080p HD videos though clarity will only be better than 720p if your display "natively" supports it. HD video quality is really a giant leap from the regular DVD video quality we have all grown accustomed to. Those with huge displays will experience HD video in all its pure glory. :) BTW, there was some discussion about this here: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=48429.0
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:52 AM by Kato »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
Tnx Kato. Will check out the other thread too :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 12:27 PM »
Oh most definately.  It depends on your display too.

Ive downloaded 720p and 1080p clips for comparison.  On my 720p native HDTV both look the same.  I'm guessing on a 1080p native display masmaganda ang 1080p

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 04:58 PM »
When HD videos are available na, will the HDCP issue affect the direct connection from a HTPC to a HDTV? It's reported the earlier DVI/HDMI chipset version isn't compatible with current HDTVs, hence resolution will be down-graded  :-[

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 05:22 PM »
When HD videos are available na, will the HDCP issue affect the direct connection from a HTPC to a HDTV? It's reported the earlier DVI/HDMI chipset version isn't compatible with current HDTVs, hence resolution will be down-graded  :-[

I have read somewhere that Hollywood is exerting pressure on PC makers cuz most manufacturers have ignored the HDCP thing when making their peripherals.

Thats good for HTPC users.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 02:31 AM »

Yes that will be quite an issue, especially when Windows Vista Comes in.  Currently if you are running Windows XP or MCE, you can output HD using DVI/HDMI.  The new windows Vista will have DRM built into the OS. If your HD material is DRM encoded, then vista wont allow it to output at High Definition if you do not have an HDCP Video card.  So that means even on a VGA monitor, the HD signal will be crippled to 480p.  This sucks.

Currently there are no HDCP Video cards available.  The beauty though of an HTPC is that its upgradable.  Once Vista is out, Video card manufacturers will follow with HDMI with HDCP.  Then we can upgrade our video cards to that.  At this point in time, we cannot tell where its going. 

This i what I think will happen within the next 2-3years to the HTPC industry.

Windows Vista MCE with DRM
Blueray/HD DVD Rom Drives and Writers
HDCP equipped HDMI Video cards

Which we can all upgrade to in the future hopefully.  Besides, I dont think we have to worry about that now because there will be no HDTV programming in the philippines... not in at least 5yrs I think.  Also Blueray and HDDVD movies will not be available here soon.  Current HD titles nga in DVD even if you buy them in the states wont be able to play here due to DRM.  The current DRM uses the internet to check your current location, if you are not located in the US or Canada the HD material wont play.  Currently the only HD material we can play is non DRM HD, Free downloaded HD clips, trailers.   

The best thing an HTPC can do in our case is upscale DVDs to near HD quality, and of course for playback of other media (MP3/CDs/Videos/Games)

High Definition is really still in its infancy... we will just have to grow with it ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 02:34 AM by jpadua »

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #798 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 06:49 PM »
@ mr. jpadua,

sir ask ko lang ... i have a ioc 17 lcd monitor with vga and dvi input, can i install my vhs player with composite video ?? in tthere any adapter to make this connection posible?

thanks and more power

-doughn
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:57 PM »
@ mr. jpadua,

sir ask ko lang ... i have a ioc 17 lcd monitor with vga and dvi input, can i install my vhs player with composite video ?? in tthere any adapter to make this connection posible?

thanks and more power

-doughn

Yes this is possible, I cant remember exactly the brand, but there are gadets outthere with built in TV-tuners that would allow you to connect a monitor and make it a TV without the use of a PC.  It also has video inputs so you can connect a VHS player to it.  I remember seeing on in Datacore Systems in Alabang Town Center.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 02:13 PM »
New HTPC project!

I'll be building a new HTPC with this case this week!

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 02:48 PM »
@ mr. jpadua,

thanks and more power

-doughn

Sir - check this out, it can accept composite, s-video and cable :)

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=49275.0
money is best spent

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #802 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 04:04 PM »
@ sir jpadua,

magkano sir score nyo sa case? is this available locally? ty sir

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 04:17 PM »
@ sir jpadua,

magkano sir score nyo sa case? is this available locally? ty sir

No its not available locally yet, I imported one for demo muna... I might bring it in pag ok yung results...

Offline rene_canlas

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #804 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 08:28 PM »
@japdua,

The case looks really nice! What boards can it accept?  Can it only use half-height cards or may riser sya for full height cards?

Keep us posted on the developments, sir!

Rene

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #805 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 09:35 PM »
@japdua,

The case looks really nice! What boards can it accept?  Can it only use half-height cards or may riser sya for full height cards?

Keep us posted on the developments, sir!

Rene

Well the case is aestheticly pleasing talaga sexy! pero selective siya sa hardware.  In order to get proper cooling... kung mali yung mga hardware, super init daw yung case.

basically mATX na board.  Preferably Athlon64, for cool and quiet.  Tapos the socket should be right below the exhaust vent sa case cover para makalabas kaagad yung init.  The heatsink has to be a 1U rack type active heatsink.  Since maliit lang yung heatsink expect the temp to be higher than stock heatsinks.  Thats why the CPU should be right below the exhaust vent... tapos the fan should be inverted so that it will blow hot air out of the case through the top instead of air into the case to the CPU.

You can only use 1 full height card with a riser either an AGP riser, PCI riser or PCIe riser, so you can only choose 1 expansion card.  The DVD rom drive has to be a laptop sized drive.  It can only have 1HD inside.  Also the motherboard has to have the P4 12v socket sa taas.  If its situated sa lower right, the cable from the powersupply wont reach.  The PSU is only 200w.  But its a real rating.  Hiper makes very good powersupplies. 

If you find the perfect components for this case.... it will be really good.   

Offline rene_canlas

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 10:10 PM »
Wow! thanks for the quick update.  I'm might be going to the US this month so I'm thinking of bringing back an HTPC case, pero this one is a great alternative.

Does it have other PCI slots for TV tuners and sound cards?  Does it use 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch harddisks?  May space ba sa harap for an LCD or Vacuum Display, and media card readers?

Sana pala gumamit sila ng Heatpipes instead of HSF technology.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 11:10 PM »
Wow! thanks for the quick update.  I'm might be going to the US this month so I'm thinking of bringing back an HTPC case, pero this one is a great alternative.

Does it have other PCI slots for TV tuners and sound cards?  Does it use 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch harddisks?  May space ba sa harap for an LCD or Vacuum Display, and media card readers?

Sana pala gumamit sila ng Heatpipes instead of HSF technology.

unfortunately wala silang retailer sa US.  Meron lang sa UK and Australia (where I ordered mine).  If you are going to the states... browse to www.pcalchemy.com  they have a lot of nice HTPC cases.  If you really want this Slim case... I'll probably order some 5-10cases in a few months when they release their latest model

Its actually the same case but with an updated front panel with VFD.

The case can only use 1 expansion slot so either a Video Card, or a Soundcard or a TV card.  The best motherboard would be an all in one, a mobo with video and audio so you can use that extra slot for a TV tuner.

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 02:14 AM »
The case can only use 1 expansion slot so either a Video Card, or a Soundcard or a TV card.  The best motherboard would be an all in one, a mobo with video and audio so you can use that extra slot for a TV tuner.

This black case looks sleek, but the slim 1U size configuration may be a bit too limiting for some who need a really good video card and sound card combination. Some audiophiles might want to add a professional Lynx 2 sound card. Serious gamers and/or videophiles may need a stronger video card too.

On-board A/V modules are usually of low to average entry-level quality. What motherboards would you recommend that have "relatively" good on-board video (with DVI or HDMI out) and audio (with S/PDIF) for High Definition HT applications?

Also, has anyone here tried setting up a Linux-based HTPC box yet? I'm into Linux and there are tons of open-source media center apps available. The Linux OS, media center applications, codecs, etc. are all free, making the Linux HTPC box a cost-effective and formidable (if not better and more stable) alternative to a Windows-based HTPC. Hardware support on Linux has matured over the past few years so this may be an ideal platform for HTPC enthusiasts too.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006 at 02:17 AM by Kato »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 03:56 AM »
This black case looks sleek, but the slim 1U size configuration may be a bit too limiting for some who need a really good video card and sound card combination. Some audiophiles might want to add a professional Lynx 2 sound card. Serious gamers and/or videophiles may need a stronger video card too.

On-board A/V modules are usually of low to average entry-level quality. What motherboards would you recommend that have "relatively" good on-board video (with DVI or HDMI out) and audio (with S/PDIF) for High Definition HT applications?

Also, has anyone here tried setting up a Linux-based HTPC box yet? I'm into Linux and there are tons of open-source media center apps available. The Linux OS, media center applications, codecs, etc. are all free, making the Linux HTPC box a cost-effective and formidable (if not better and more stable) alternative to a Windows-based HTPC. Hardware support on Linux has matured over the past few years so this may be an ideal platform for HTPC enthusiasts too.

Cheers!

Thats true this case is indeed limiting... it really all depends on what you want to do with the htpc... for heavy use and more expandability there are a lot of great HTPC cases out there.  This one is really just for basic use... DVDs, Music, PVR Functions.  The board I am going to use with this is the RS482 which has an onboard x300 and has VGA/DVI/S-video and component outputs.  Also spdif out for audio.  Videophiles and Audiophiles are better off with the bigger cases that can accomodate Full ATX boards.  This case can serve well as an all around family type machine for the living room and home theater warrior.