Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342352 times)

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #990 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
sirs tanong lang po.  i have a creative SB audigy soundcard that is supposed to be 6.1.  I tried to connect it to my avr (yamaha rxv750) by way of coax pero stero lang output nya ( i mean front lang ang tumutunog).  ganun din ang result pag optical gamit ko. same result for the pci card and front drive connections. i am using the speaker test software of creative and it is indicating that signals are being sent to the speakers. ok naman avr ko if i used its test tone function ( gumagana lahat ng speakers). ano kaya problema? compatibility? ty po

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #991 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 11:15 PM »
sirs tanong lang po.  i have a creative SB audigy soundcard that is supposed to be 6.1.  I tried to connect it to my avr (yamaha rxv750) by way of coax pero stero lang output nya ( i mean front lang ang tumutunog).  ganun din ang result pag optical gamit ko. same result for the pci card and front drive connections. i am using the speaker test software of creative and it is indicating that signals are being sent to the speakers. ok naman avr ko if i used its test tone function ( gumagana lahat ng speakers). ano kaya problema? compatibility? ty po

ano gamit mo na software for playing DVD? may setup yun, make sure na naka set sya to spdif.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #992 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 08:29 AM »
When ripping DVDs to your hard drive, it would be best if you rip at full quality, so you get the exact digital version of the DVD on your HDD.  That will take up a lot of space.  If you rip with compression naman, playing a DVD on the DVD drive would produce better results.

Thanks for the tip.

Louie

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #993 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 06:21 PM »
sir jpadua,
thanks for the tip, i havent done that yet but sure enough there is a config in the dvd sw...i am using a version of power dvd that is included in the dvd rom...i will try to hook it up with my avr again...

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #994 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 02:14 AM »
Make your own sling box (watch videos on your computer from any internet connected PC)

hi Sir Jay, quick question lang po, what's this "sling box" all about?  thanks. ;)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #995 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 04:23 AM »
sir jpadua,
thanks for the tip, i havent done that yet but sure enough there is a config in the dvd sw...i am using a version of power dvd that is included in the dvd rom...i will try to hook it up with my avr again...

Usually yung soft DVD players na free with DVD rom drives, kulang yung features, baka walang spdif ... pero check mo na rin sa audio setup try to set it to spdif.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #996 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 04:27 AM »
hi Sir Jay, quick question lang po, what's this "sling box" all about?  thanks. ;)

a sling box is a machine (PC based) that you hook up to your Cable, and you can set it up to record TV shows.  Then you can view them anywhere from the internet. Of course the slingbox has to be connected to the internet vial DSL or Cable. 

sling box is getting a lot of buzz... Some people set up sling boxes in the states so that they can view US TV programming from here via the internet.  The sling box is configurable  via HTTP,  so if you have a friend in the states, setup a slingbox over there, and you can watch US TV here.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2006 at 04:29 AM by jpadua »

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #997 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 08:00 AM »
hi guys, can anyone suggest a mobo for the pentium d930? im looking for one with onboard video and spdif. it will be used 70% torrent downloading(and watching)/ 30% gaming. tia! 

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 08:02 AM »
hi guys, can anyone suggest a mobo for the pentium d930? im looking for one with onboard video and spdif. it will be used 70% torrent downloading(and watching)/ 30% gaming. tia! 

Try the MSI P4N SLI-FI, I have no problem with it, SPDIF works great and the option to have nvidia's SLI later is great for gaming.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 09:04 AM »
You guys got me thinking into going to HTPC.

Planning to start with this:

DFI ATI RS482 Infinity mATX Socket 939 Motherboard
Features:

*A finest solution for PC's rich media
    *AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU(Socket 939)
    *ATI Radeon Xpress 200 RS482 Chipset
    *Integrated ATI Radeon X300 GPU
    *FSB 2000MTps & Dual-Channels DDR400 memory
    *TV-out(HDTV supports)/ VGA/ DVI-D output device,
    the best DVD playback experience
    *Gigabit PCI LAN & 4 x SATA
    *8channels High definition Audio
    *8 x USB2.0 ports

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=4497&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

Please comment.

Thanks.

Louie

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1000 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 12:08 PM »
RU9,

That board is very good. But I suggest to get the board that support dual channel DDR2 and the latest Socket AM2. Then get a good video card: Nvidea 7 series or ATI X1300 up.

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1001 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 12:51 PM »
alexg,

thanx for replying, hows the performance of your pentium d? does it give a better pq than an upscaling dvd player when playing divx? i use an oppo and dvd playback is terrific but divx playback looks a little weird.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2006 at 12:52 PM by ET414 »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #1002 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
a sling box is a machine (PC based) that you hook up to your Cable, and you can set it up to record TV shows. Then you can view them anywhere from the internet. Of course the slingbox has to be connected to the internet vial DSL or Cable.

sling box is getting a lot of buzz... Some people set up sling boxes in the states so that they can view US TV programming from here via the internet. The sling box is configurable via HTTP, so if you have a friend in the states, setup a slingbox over there, and you can watch US TV here.

hmm...INTERESTING  ah...?  ;) how much it will cost to add that slingbox thing?  and... yung PC ba sa states ang kailangan lang may slingbox or both? again sir jay,thanks.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1003 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:06 PM »
alexg,

thanx for replying, hows the performance of your pentium d? does it give a better pq than an upscaling dvd player when playing divx? i use an oppo and dvd playback is terrific but divx playback looks a little weird.

I have compared my HTPC with upscaling DVD player, and I would prefer my HTPC over upscaling DVD player. I am using Zoom Player pro with ffdshow, avisynth and I have enabled trimension. I hardly use my DVD player now, except for playing DVD-Audio and SACD.  ;D

Using either my Infocus and my Samsung LCD, I get very good PQ.

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1004 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
RU9,

That board is very good. But I suggest to get the board that support dual channel DDR2 and the latest Socket AM2. Then get a good video card: Nvidea 7 series or ATI X1300 up.

Thanks, will look into this.

Louie

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1005 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:41 PM »
I have compared my HTPC with upscaling DVD player, and I would prefer my HTPC over upscaling DVD player. I am using Zoom Player pro with ffdshow, avisynth and I have enabled trimension. I hardly use my DVD player now, except for playing DVD-Audio and SACD.  ;D

Using either my Infocus and my Samsung LCD, I get very good PQ.

Heya, how did you get trimension working? are you using the older winDVD6 Codec with trimension? To what I know the newer winDVD codecs have locked down the trimension feature to only the winDVD player...if you are using newer codecs, let me know how you did it. Thanks!

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1006 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
Heya, how did you get trimension working? are you using the older winDVD6 Codec with trimension? To what I know the newer winDVD codecs have locked down the trimension feature to only the winDVD player...if you are using newer codecs, let me know how you did it. Thanks!
I was able to find WinDVD6 on the net. The newer codecs will not work. (Lucky for me, I do not use WinDVD so I can have the old version, 6, installed).  ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1007 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 03:00 AM »
I was able to find WinDVD6 on the net. The newer codecs will not work. (Lucky for me, I do not use WinDVD so I can have the old version, 6, installed).  ;D

Oh I figured :) I have 6 also...  But the trimension is not as good as the new one.. lots of artifacts... have you tried watching lightsaber fights with trimension in windvd6? you can see blocks of pixels on the light sabers, the new trimension has fixed the artifacts and is so much cleaner, but has locked out trimension to only the winDVD player

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 08:05 AM »
Oh I figured :) I have 6 also...  But the trimension is not as good as the new one.. lots of artifacts... have you tried watching lightsaber fights with trimension in windvd6? you can see blocks of pixels on the light sabers, the new trimension has fixed the artifacts and is so much cleaner, but has locked out trimension to only the winDVD player

I have tried windvd6 on Star Wars and other DVD's, and I did not remember seeing the blocks of pixels. Anyway, will look for it tonight.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2006 at 08:09 AM by alexg »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 06:12 PM »
I have tried windvd6 on Star Wars and other DVD's, and I did not remember seeing the blocks of pixels. Anyway, will look for it tonight.

I notice it when the lightsaber sparks againts each other.. try watching attack of the clones where all the jedis are fighting the droids.. you'll relly notice it there :)

Offline doc_koko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1010 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 01:11 AM »
Hi Mr Jay, I'm planning to set up my own HTPC after reading this forum. Looks nice but kinda hard to fix too. so maybe I'll be needing help from the 'experts' and well experienced guys.  I have JVC LT-Z26SX4 for monitor and I've been using this for more than a year as aTV only without realizing it's potentials.

I dont have a set up yet, I'm planning to. Could you give me a 'good' HTPC set up matched for my monitor. Btw, my AVR is Denon 1604. You're here in Las Pinas, that's great! I'm also Las Pineros.  Where can I buy the specs? I'm not also a computer geek but I'm willing to learn. I have shuttle xpc already, still no idea what to put inside. As of now I want the 'best for it'. Then if my budget get short, will adjust accordingly.

Thanks!!!

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1011 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 02:21 AM »
Has anyone tried HQV Benchmark DVD to test their HTPC?. I am out of the HTPC scene for a long time now and was wondering about its quality today againts the best scalers out there (Iscan vp30 with abt102 deinterlacer, Gennum VPX and Silicon Optix HQV).

If not, is there a suggestion on what software and filters to use as well as their settings so that I can make a head to head comparison?
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2006 at 08:01 AM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1012 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 05:54 AM »
doc_koko- Welcome to Pinoydvd!  I'm sure you know me already.   ;D HTPC is the way to go coz you have a lot of options as compared to just a DVD in a hometheater.  Your LCD TV needs to be maximized and having an HTPC is the way to go......

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2006 at 06:02 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline doc_koko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1013 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 01:21 PM »
Mr. Nerveblocker.... this is bonefixer!  You got me into this, kaya tuloy tuloy na 'to.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1014 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 02:47 PM »
My new case...

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 06:58 AM »

My Budget HTPC (Fujitsu FMV-C9/190L)
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006 at 07:01 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 12:47 PM »
My new case...

where did you get this? how much, if you please?  thanks

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1017 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 02:28 PM »
voj ,

Order thru tipidpc ...5900

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1018 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 06:06 AM »
Tried hooking my HTPC to my Epson EMP-S3  projector and definitely resolution and video quality kicks the butt out of my Philips DVD player with progressive scan.  I'm happy I made the right decision.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2006 at 05:46 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1019 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 07:28 AM »
voj ,

Order thru tipidpc ...5900

How do you order from tipidpc?

Would this case take a full size ATX mobo?