Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 341999 times)

Offline skylynx888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #1080 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 09:33 PM »

kasama po ito sa videocard, my question is: are the red,green, blue sockets for component video outputs? if thats the case, will i just connect it directly to my rear projection component input? may configuration p bang dapat gawin? pardon my ignorance ;D ;D

hope you guys can help me out.....

my video card: Geforce 6600 256mb pci express.

Offline Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1081 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 11:42 PM »
Hello Im not an expert.But i was just using that vga to component dongle for my 6600gt before I switched to vga to BNC pc input.First download the latest forceware the last i checked was 91.31. Also download nvtweak to enable hidden settings like refresh rate overide etc.Open nvtweak and enable all options just to be safe.Go to display settings advance mode.  click on the geforce 6600 tab and click on nv display settings ,click on enable dual view if your proj. is already connected through the component in.Then click on
no 2 display and then the advanced settings tab, there should be a change resolution or nvidia tv wizard to choose from.Choose correct output like 480p,720p,etc.or if the tv wizard comes out ,it lets you experiment with diff outputs until you get the right one.
this is only for dual display mode with one monitor and one hdtv.If you want one display just make the proj your primary display.and disconnect your other monitor.this may not be the best way but thats how I connected my pc.Hope this shortened explanation helps.
Gubs

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2006 at 11:49 PM by Gubs »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1082 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 01:53 AM »

kasama po ito sa videocard, my question is: are the red,green, blue sockets for component video outputs? if thats the case, will i just connect it directly to my rear projection component input? may configuration p bang dapat gawin? pardon my ignorance ;D ;D

hope you guys can help me out.....

my video card: Geforce 6600 256mb pci express.

Make sure you know kung ano kaya ng rear projection mo, kung 480i 480p 720p or 1080i

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • "Live long and prosper"
  • Liked:
« Reply #1083 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 02:28 AM »
@ skylynx888

This actually depends on the documentation of your Video Card. I suggest checking the manufacturer's website for documentations to give you more details on what those wires are for and if they are indeed component cables. Many manufacturers sometimes do not adhere to standards and may just mix those colors to distinguish one from another or as a separator and nothing more. Hope this helps too!

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1084 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 01:56 PM »
to Gubs, ill download it, thanks.....

to jpadua, my rptv can handle 480p and 1080i, although i havent tried the 1080i yet......

to jedtanner, ill scan the manual again..... thanks

btw, does this cable offer better picture quality as compared to vga to component?  ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1085 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 09:16 PM »
Check this out... Anandtech built an HD-DVD HTPC using Nvidia Purevideo HD.

here are the specs..
CPU: Intel Pentium D 830
RAM: 1GB DDR2 533
Chipset: Intel 945G
Graphics: MSI 7600GT w/ HDCP
Display: Westinghouse LVM-42W2
HD-DVD Drive: Toshiba TS-L802
HD-DVD Player: CyberLink PowerDVD (for HD-DVD)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2798&p=3

Interesting...

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1086 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 08:10 AM »
After reading the article, it seems that the Toshiba HD-a1 is the best HTPC there is. This model is actually a 2.5 Pentium 4 running on Linux. It has 1g ddr memory and a Hd dvd drive. At 499 US dollars, Toshiba is said to be loosing around 200 dollars per unit just to bring this model to the market. This player has a top level performance in DVD playback at 720p and awesome at 1080i with HD content. 1080p is not supported though as can be explained by the difficulty of delivering this resolution using a dedicated HTPC using current technology. If you can live with a boot time of a little more than a minute, then this model might be for you.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #1087 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 11:17 PM »
Hi here's my new HTPC set-up.

my rig in the middle.

Close up with DIY front panel 4x20 LED Display via LPT port. Using frontview LCD manager software plugin for MCE.

Here's another close up pics. BTW my case is also DIY using acrylic transparent & black glass.

Using microsoft XP media center 2005. As of the moment im using just 21" T.V. as my secondary display.
Planning to hook it on DLP FPTV with 92" Wide screen manual pulldown soon.

Specs:

Proc: Athlon A64 Venice core 3000+ 1800 (OC'ed to 2200)
MB:MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum s939
VC: NVdia FX 5500 256/128 AGP
Optical Drive: Lite on DVD writer
HDD: 1x160g SATA 3x40g PATA
Sound: Built in 8 channel. (upgrade soon)
memory: 1 gig DDR400

using LG Flatron wireless keyboard & mouse (RF)
Windows XP MCE 2005
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2006 at 11:26 PM by Meridian-Audio »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1088 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 10:24 AM »
Cool rig bro!  Did you make it from scratch? Pwede ba magpacustom ng HTPC case sayo?

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #1089 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
Cool rig bro!  Did you make it from scratch? Pwede ba magpacustom ng HTPC case sayo?

Yes sir done this from scratch. Medyo konting effort lang hirap kc mag cut ng acrylic.
project ko lang to sir just for myself. Medyo wala rin kc ako oras para gumawa.  ;D Medyo matagal nga ito in the making kaya lang na pwersa ako gawin kc nabenta ko na dati kong shuttle XPC HTPC.  ;)

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1090 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 06:48 PM »
Para hindi OT: I've been eyeing the Shuttle xpc SD11G5 which has a separate power brick that makes it near noise-free but still has a board that has all the current components such as the PCI-E (for graphics) but will only run using Pentium M processors (cool/energy efficient processors for laptops). An entire unit which was run to the max only consumed 200 watts plus change. It has an onboard 7.1 sounblaster live chip and only weighs 2.2 kgs barebone.

I have not read previous posts from this thread and I would like to know if there are owners here so I can solicit some reviews. Laptops are sexier and more appropriate with work but I believe when it comes to HTPC, they're useless.

SEMI-OT:  There are free HD sources out there which comes in the form of movie trailers which I truly love. My question is who among here have no problems playing 1080p version of these files? I have checked out the hardware requirements and I'm wondering if the specs are the minimum required or just geared for optimium performance. I mean dual core processors with speed of 3 Ghz is not that mainstream yet. Which is better Quicktime HD or Divx HD?

BTW anyone who wishes to upgrade to quicktime 7 pro for free just PM me ;) so u can save QT trailers to your hard drive.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006 at 07:43 PM by atomicat10 »

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1091 on: Aug 08, 2006 at 02:10 PM »
MSI in the Lead
HDMI ATC Granted MSI the World's First VGA HDMI Certification

MSI has successfully passed the inspection test by HDMI ATC in July 2006 and became the world's first certification for HDMI VGA card. To keep our pace of cutting-edge technology, MSI has been implementing extreme research and development abilities to establish the HDMI compatibility in MSI VGA cards that extend a wider scenario of PC usages.

HDMI, the latest audio/video interface standard with only one cable required , is able to transmit high resolution digital video and 7.1 surround-sound audio quality. For bringing users consistent experience, HDMI Workshop has regulated a guideline for this latest standard to ensure all HDMI-compliant equipment is compatible each other.

Among numerous VGA card manufactures, MSI received the first certification with the out performance RD ability that has been continuously contributing to the latest, superior, and stable products to users on the fast-moving technology filed.

MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus

MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus is the first VGA card equipped with the HDMI technology today. Along with this simple connectivity, the audio/video signals on PC will be correspondingly transmitted to LCD or Plasma TV for users. In addition, MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus has the solid and powerful 3D engine technology that is smoothly complaint to the most 3D games available on the market nowadays.

By the exclusive D.O.T. II over clocking technology, MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus will dynamically adjust the accordance of power-consumption and performance. Users will also enjoy the astonishing visual reality and HD-audio contributed from MSI's 3D performance and HDMI technology through a home theater PC.

From: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=487

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #1092 on: Aug 08, 2006 at 08:05 PM »
MSI in the Lead
HDMI ATC Granted MSI the World's First VGA HDMI Certification

MSI has successfully passed the inspection test by HDMI ATC in July 2006 and became the world's first certification for HDMI VGA card. To keep our pace of cutting-edge technology, MSI has been implementing extreme research and development abilities to establish the HDMI compatibility in MSI VGA cards that extend a wider scenario of PC usages.

HDMI, the latest audio/video interface standard with only one cable required , is able to transmit high resolution digital video and 7.1 surround-sound audio quality. For bringing users consistent experience, HDMI Workshop has regulated a guideline for this latest standard to ensure all HDMI-compliant equipment is compatible each other.

Among numerous VGA card manufactures, MSI received the first certification with the out performance RD ability that has been continuously contributing to the latest, superior, and stable products to users on the fast-moving technology filed.

MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus is the first VGA card equipped with the HDMI technology today. Along with this simple connectivity, the audio/video signals on PC will be correspondingly transmitted to LCD or Plasma TV for users. In addition, MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus has the solid and powerful 3D engine technology that is smoothly complaint to the most 3D games available on the market nowadays.

By the exclusive D.O.T. II over clocking technology, MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus will dynamically adjust the accordance of power-consumption and performance. Users will also enjoy the astonishing visual reality and HD-audio contributed from MSI's 3D performance and HDMI technology through a home theater PC.

From: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=487

I was wondering if how much is the selling price for this VC ???

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #1093 on: Aug 08, 2006 at 10:30 PM »
Anybody know what apps can playback .ts (transport stream) file?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1094 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 04:25 AM »
Anybody know what apps can playback .ts (transport stream) file?

Download Zoomplayer (free) from inmatrix.com
Install nvidia decoders (they can decode .TS files)
You can also try HDTVpump (google it) you can play .TS files with that too.

Nvidia does play .TS files pretty well, I just installed Zoomplayer and the nvidia codecs and it played the .TS files

Hope this helps.

Jay

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #1095 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 05:19 PM »
Download Zoomplayer (free) from inmatrix.com
Install nvidia decoders (they can decode .TS files)
You can also try HDTVpump (google it) you can play .TS files with that too.

Nvidia does play .TS files pretty well, I just installed Zoomplayer and the nvidia codecs and it played the .TS files

Hope this helps.

Jay
Thanks! My video card is non-Nvidia but just a GeCube Radeon 9550 128MB. I hope it works. 

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1096 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 02:00 AM »
Thanks! My video card is non-Nvidia but just a GeCube Radeon 9550 128MB. I hope it works. 

The nvidia decoder is just a decoder and should work with your radeon, only special pure video enhancements are present if you are using an nvidia card.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1097 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 12:31 PM »

I don't see the balance shifting anytime soon because HTPC's are such a small segment of the PC market. nvidia and ATI are much more focused on gaming performance than something like judder reduction. While at the other end VP's have gained steam and are including more features and improved performance specifically for HT.

The situation will get better, soon...

Chicago (IL) - Games may not be the only applications anymore that create an incentive for buying a faster graphics card. HD DVD and Blu-ray videos require enormous processing power to decode codecs and overwhelm virtually all CPUs available today. So, how much does it take to make HD look good on a PC screen? TG Daily got a first impression at an exclusive meeting with Nvidia.

http://www.denguru.com/2006/07/28/nvidia_hdcp_graphics_card_presentation/index.html

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1098 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
I believe the trend (or revolution, if you will) of moving towards HTPC's has already started. Video/graphics card engineers and manufacturers have already realized the potential of PC-based entertainment systems for quite some time as evidenced by inclusion of HD video-specific features along with a myriad of video output choices (DVI/HDMI, component, etc.).

Personally, I've been using an HTPC mainly as a media server and HD video playback system married to a 720p projector, a rear projection HDTV, an AV receiver and some decent speakers. I also have quite a small collection of HD videos/movies (from 720 to 1080p) in formats ranging from .TS, HD XviD, HD DivX, HD WMV, HD Matroska, etc. and I've never had any problems playing them back on my pretty average HTPC setup.

My HTPC rig:

- P4 3.0 GHz Intel Processor
- 6600 256MB nVidia graphics card
- 8.1 channel on-board sound processor
- 2 x 200GB SATA hard drives
- 16x multi-form CD/DVD rewriter
- 550w HEC WinPower power supply
- 1kva APC UPS
- RF wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad (my favorite accessory)
- 19" LCD monitor acting as secondary display
- true 1.5mbps SkyDSL connection
- Xyxel X-550 MIMO-G Wi-Fi router

At present, I think HTPC usage varies slightly among us enthusiasts. Some lean more on integrating cable TV programming and scheduled recording and upscaling DVD videos with their rigs. Some may have a more obscure setup like mine, where my HTPC also acts as a "24/7 always on" media/download server and test server (for my work). This is also why the long boot time is never an issue with me. And being able to readily surf or do some work on your big screen while laying on the sofa is just very convenient.

What I don't see happening soon (at least not for the next couple of years or so) is having a lot of HD DVD or Blu-ray movies readily available. Although there are already quite a few HD titles out there, the HTPC is the next best thing with all the HD movies (in already existing/established formats) floating all around. Where and how do I get my HD movies? ;) They're everywhere. You just need to know how to find them. For instance, if you've got friends abroad and are blessed with HDTV programming and are able to record them, then you're blessed as well. Another source is the most obvious one... P2P. That is, if you want to experience HD "now" (not to encourage piracy).

For now, I'm just waiting for HD DVD / Blu-ray optical drives to go into the mainstream PC market (a.k.a. become more practically affordable) and proliferation of "more" legit HD titles to choose from and simply upgrade my HTPC's optical drive. The HD DVD and Blu-ray format war is yet another annoying story, but I won't be surprised if a freaky genius out there finds a way to make a universal (dual format) HD optical drive. The under $500 Linux-based Toshiba HD A1 discussed here earlier is also a great alternative for those who want to simplify their life and skip the HTPC shopping/assembly/setup.

Eventually, everything will be PC-based and modular... we just add which components we need or as better components come out. Bottomline... eternal upgrades and discontentment  >:( :D ;D

Just a lot of my 2 cents. Haven't been logging on to PDVD for a while, so bumabawi lang ako ;)

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1099 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 08:33 PM »
Is it true that presently, there are no Video cards out there that can support playback of hd dvd nor blu-ray because of the lack of HDCP chips?

Is it wise then not to purchase any expensive vcards out there because there will be ones with the hdcp chips on the last quarter?

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1101 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 08:01 AM »
Is it true that presently, there are no Video cards out there that can support playback of hd dvd nor blu-ray because of the lack of HDCP chips?

Is it wise then not to purchase any expensive vcards out there because there will be ones with the hdcp chips on the last quarter?

This is not so.

PC video cards can play 720p and 1080p which is the video resolution of high definition video.

The question is, how would an HTPC handle copy protection of HD DVD (DRM)?
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1102 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
This is not so.

PC video cards can play 720p and 1080p which is the video resolution of high definition video.

The question is, how would an HTPC handle copy protection of HD DVD (DRM)?

Actually in the Case of HDCP enabled cards, this is a requirement of windows vista so that the video card can send to HD signal to your TV.  If your video card does not have HDCP, vista will downsize the video to 480p.  With XP however, you can play HD on a HDTV.

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1103 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 10:35 PM »
If your video card does not have HDCP, vista will downsize the video to 480p.

Thus diminishing resolution to a quarter of its full potential...what a waste.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1104 on: Aug 13, 2006 at 07:00 PM »
What app upsamples or upscales DVDs or any video source to 720p or 1080i?

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1105 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 11:35 AM »

You can use your video card tool to make custom resolution to 1080i or 720p. Or a program likw PowerStrip.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1106 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 12:22 PM »

As long as your video card is outputting a higher resolution like 1280x720 or 1920x1080 you are already upsampling.

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1107 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 09:39 AM »
Hi fellow HTPC enthusiasts, just a few questions:

1. Any suggestions on which TV tuner/PVR card to get? Is Hauppage still a good brand nowadays?

2. Are there still any issues regarding external tuners/PVR's? A few years ago, there were some USB bottleneck issues.

3. I'm currently subscribed to Skycable Gold, but plan on upgrading to a Skycable Platinum account due to better quality. My only gripe is... since the Platinum subscription is digital, I would need to get an addressable box for each TV (or tuner). This means no more cable splitters, PIP/POP, etc. unless I spend more for extra boxes. How then will this impact existing owners of tuners/PVR's?

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006 at 09:42 AM by Kato »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 04:24 AM »
Hi fellow HTPC enthusiasts, just a few questions:

1. Any suggestions on which TV tuner/PVR card to get? Is Hauppage still a good brand nowadays?

2. Are there still any issues regarding external tuners/PVR's? A few years ago, there were some USB bottleneck issues.

3. I'm currently subscribed to Skycable Gold, but plan on upgrading to a Skycable Platinum account due to better quality. My only gripe is... since the Platinum subscription is digital, I would need to get an addressable box for each TV (or tuner). This means no more cable splitters, PIP/POP, etc. unless I spend more for extra boxes. How then will this impact existing owners of tuners/PVR's?

If you plan to use digital  you need a DVB Tuner card.  Hauppage is still a good brand.  For analog The ATI theater550 or the Nvidia Dual tuner, Hauppage is still good too with analog PVR 150.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1109 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 08:21 AM »
J,

Quick question, is there a reasonable USB type PVR / Cable Tuner that anyone has much success with ?

I've seen LEADTEK branded ones but not sure if they're okay...

-jackryan