Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 344569 times)

Offline STRIKER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #1440 on: May 15, 2008 at 03:52 PM »
With the readings in this thread, i am now developing the interest of building an HTPC which i intend to use as an alternative while prices of bluray is still painful to my pocket. In fact since march, I have only five blurays.

To those who just built an HTPC can you kindly recommend the BASIC hardware i need, please. I only need the CPU. I will use my AX100 as my monitor. Will a 20k budget be enough? ;)

it may be enough. 2 weeks ago a friend of mine built a cpu for his htpc for 25K and it had above average specs.
just research and see what may fit into your budget.

try tipidpc.com they usually have cheap tuff for sale there. you never know... yo might get lucky

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1441 on: May 15, 2008 at 08:43 PM »
it may be enough. 2 weeks ago a friend of mine built a cpu for his htpc for 25K and it had above average specs.
just research and see what may fit into your budget.

try tipidpc.com they usually have cheap tuff for sale there. you never know... yo might get lucky

hmmmm.... sounds interesting...

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #1442 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
@glacier
K-lite also features mpc ver 6.4.9.1 just like mpc home cinema. I think mine would be good enough for now to play my mkv files.

@Clondalkin
Thanks for the info you posted sir. 

@jerix
I think 20k is enough to build your own htpc. You better check tipidpc.com or visit some stores in Gilmore, QC they offer best prices on computer parts, peripherals, etc.

Offline paquito_chips

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: May 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM »
To those who just built an HTPC can you kindly recommend the BASIC hardware i need, please. I only need the CPU. I will use my AX100 as my monitor. Will a 20k budget be enough? ;)

kung cpu lang, a core2duo processor would suffice. better yet, either get an e8200 or e8400. it costs roughly 8k-8.5k pesos for the e8200. pahirapan ang stocks ng e8400. you still have more than 10k to spare.

Offline SF40

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: May 16, 2008 at 03:21 AM »

just like the previous post with a budget of 20K im planning this weekend to build a HTPC (rig only) i would like to seek for your recommendations and advice ( more on mkv viewing and torrents download )

1. may i ask what is the best processor an AMD or intel for htpc in considerations little of pc gaming and PS3 pls include the pros and cons

2. mobo? on board video card or dedicated?

3. ram 1 gb>? 2gb? 3gb? 4gb?

4. Video card?

5. sound card ?

6. casing ?

7. HDD?

kung pwede na din po breakdown of prices and store where to purchase (my budget is limited to 20K)

TIA

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1445 on: May 16, 2008 at 06:18 AM »
check this site bro

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

there's a lot of suggestions on HTPC setups ranging from low-end to hi-end.

hope this helps ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1446 on: May 16, 2008 at 07:47 AM »
check this site bro

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

there's a lot of suggestions on HTPC setups ranging from low-end to hi-end.

hope this helps ;)

Nice and rich info from this site -- but are these parts available kaya locally and in what shop bros?
I am not a computer techy and and when i purchased my first desktop i just relied on what the shop recommended. So if ever, i will have to do the same. ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: May 16, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
Nice and rich info from this site -- but are these parts available kaya locally and in what shop bros?
I am not a computer techy and and when i purchased my first desktop i just relied on what the shop recommended. So if ever, i will have to do the same. ;)

i guess most of the parts are available locally. check this PC Shops Price Guide by tambutsoo and also this low-end HTPC setup recommendation at only 12.5k. http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=78699.0

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: May 16, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
Yeah that AVS thread is really like an encyclopedia when it comes to HTPC set-up.  So I'll try to give some practical guidelines to complement all the information you can get from that site.  These are just my opinions.

CPU:  AMD or Intel.  Doesn't matter.  Just buy the fastest, meanest multi-core Intel or EQUIVALENT AMD that you can afford.  Intel's E6xxx and Q6600 seem to be very popular examples.  Any of these multi-core CPU's will make you happy but the more powerful the CPU is, the happier you will be for that blood thirsty MKV contents, especially 1080p ones.   Just like to stress once again, CPU is the most critical component at the moment for MKV playback.  You need to do some reading on the current line of CPUs and find your sweet spot in terms of budget.  No need to delve on full technical details.  For starters just look at the clock speed, the number of cores and the front side bus speed - and then make 100% sure that your chosen MOBO supports the CPU.    New models of MOBOs are OK in terms of compatibility but if you are buying an old model MOBO, then be very careful

MEM:  It appears the mainstream type right now would be the 667 or 800Mhz DDR2 (dual channel types).  You don't need to buy those expensive and cool looking Corsairs with 1066MHz clock, but I would recommend reliable makes such as Crucial, Kingston, Buffalo, I/O Data, etc.  Nowadays there are 2 types of "bulk" memories;  the "totally generic" bulk and those with rather "unpopular makes.  You can save money by trying them as well.  Compatibility with popular MOBOs is not 100% guaranteed but working chances are very high.   If your PC is retail (Dell, etc.), then stay away from generic mem.   For Vista, you need at least 2GB.  For XP, you need at least 1GB.  However, I personally think the sweet spot for MKV is at least 2GB.    BTW, dual channel memory banks should be installed in PAIRS, otherwise, it would run at half the rated clock speed.  So if you want 1GB of mem, then you have to install 2x512MB using the appropriately paired (usually color coded) mem bank slots in your MOBO.

HDD:  A 720p MKV is at least 4.5GB big.  1080p can range from 6B to 40GB.  Get as much GB as you can afford.    Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Hitachi...doesn't matter which make.  7200 rpm, 16GB cache has become the mainstream.  You don't need those expensive models with higher cache for your personal application

Sound Card:  If you are not that picky, the on-board 7.1 channel audio of most modern MOBOs is more than sufficient.  Confirm that optical out  (SPDIF) is available on the MOBO (it usually is for new MOBOs) if you want to go multi-channel connected to an AVR.  Otherwise, you need a GOOD 2.1 channel set of PC speakers at the very least.   Something with powerful subwoofer like that of Logicool Z4 would be nice.   But if you already have a multi-channel AVR and speakers set HT, then just connect your PC to the extra optical input of the AVR.

Video Card:  You mentioned "little gaming" but how little is little?  Once the word gaming comes out, then you can forget about the on-board video unless your image of gaming is Free Cell.   The general consensus is that Nvidia is better for gaming overall but AMD/ATI is better for HTPC, BUT, if you are interested enough to analyze the detailed performance of each particular model, you'd find out that it really depends on the particular GPU.    Doesn't matter which maker you choose because most of them follow the reference design provided by Nvidia or ATI, then just put their logo on the fan.

As I personally confirmed recently, you definitely don't need a high end card like HD3870 or 8800GT for an HTPC.   Depending on your gaming needs, I think you'd find your balance on any of the following GPUs:  HD2600XT, HD3650, HD3850, 8600GT, 8600GTS.    Cheaper cards MAY work just fine but the determining factor here is the kind of games you want to play, not the MKVs you want to watch.  More expensive cards are definitely overkill.

You may also want to read on the reviews of the new MOBOs based on ATI's 780 chipset with integrated graphics.

Casing:  Totally subjective.  Some like it vertical, some like it horizontal with "AV equipment look".  Some like it in whatever kind of color, some prefer vanilla beige or pitch black.   Some like it with transparent window with a nice view of the innards of the PC, some prefer the traditional "closed" container.   Some like it cute and slim, some like it huge and imposing with lots of spaces for future expansion and additional cooling.

Power Supply Unit:  If your interest in gaming is not that much, PSU wattage and amperage are not critical.   However, the given ratings of the PSU should be HONEST and not simply overhyped specs, that's why popular and reliable makes are recommended.

I only started to browse through tipidpc this year. Yeah you can find some nice parts there at good prices.  You don't need to buy brand new items, but make sure they are in perfect working condition.   Stay away from "REPAIRED" parts.  

The member Tambutsoo started a thread under Sources for an entry level HTPC less than 20K (including part models).   Please have a look at that one.

BTW, how come nobody seems to factor in the cost of the OS license in the budget???  Is it "free" in the Philippines???   An OEM OS would cost me at least $100 in Tokyo  ;D ;D ;D

Finally, if you suddenly get afflicted with SARS of the HTPC strain, then PM me your hard to find exotic PC part and I can source it out in Tokyo.  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 11:20 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1449 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:01 AM »

BTW, how come nobody seems to factor in the cost of the OS license in the budget???  Is it "free" in the Philippines???   An OEM OS would cost me at least $100 in Tokyo  ;D ;D ;D

Bro --nice insights-- but on the above....ssshhhhhhh!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
nice additional pointers sir clondalkin.

no one includes the OS in the computation as most pinoys use the tiangge copies ;D

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
cheap HTPC setup:

proc: amd x2 4800+ = 3500
mobo: emaxx 780g = 3400 (built in hdmi out and can decode mkv)
mem: 2x1gb ddr2 800 = 2100
hdd: 500gb   = 4500
odd: 20x dvdrw = 1500
casing: 2500 (901 microfly/DIVA)
psu: 3000 hec (you need a stable psu for a HTPC)

total: 20.5k

i can help you build this setup - pm me..

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
There is a tipidpc member based in tokyo selling exotic parts, prices are exotic too hehe ;D I agree that having a good processor eases playback, hardware acceleration from video cards still has some issues.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
cheap HTPC setup:

mem: 2x1gb ddr2 800 = 2100
hdd: 500gb   = 4500
casing: 2500 (901 microfly/DIVA)
psu: 3000 hec (you need a stable psu for a HTPC)

total: 20.5k

i can help you build this setup - pm me..

hi sir,

does the emaxx have a built-in spdif coax or optical out?
how many watts is the hec psu? is that 3000 the cost of the psu or the model?
horizontal mount ba ang casing?

thanks ;)

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:37 AM »
merong SPDIF yung emaxx..
i suggest sana yung gigabyte kasi merong optical out kaso wala pang stock..

hec 550ab yung psu costs around 3k+

yung casing is like the xpc shuttle style.. 10"x12"x14" HxWxL (approximate lang ito)

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: May 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
merong SPDIF yung emaxx..
i suggest sana yung gigabyte kasi merong optical out kaso wala pang stock..

hec 550ab yung psu costs around 3k+

yung casing is like the xpc shuttle style.. 10"x12"x14" HxWxL (approximate lang ito)

k sir. thanks

Offline paquito_chips

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
well done, ser clondalkin. if you're not really in to gaming, a 20k budget is ok for a decent htpc. for me, i'd spend the extra cash for the speakers and a plasma.  :)

OT: i'm a noob here in pdvd so pardon my ignorance. but what is SARS?  ;D

anyway, here's my htgpc (home theater and gaming). i try to minimize noise as possible by using low-speed, mid-cfm fans on the radiator. sometimes i connect it to the tv kasi sya yung nasa gitna ng living room (not in pic). ipon mode muna sa plasma.

i need to renovate the living room. furniture is all wood, no upholstery. tsk...  >:(

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM »
a more cheaper alternative would be: (no particular with the looks, psu, hdd)

mem: 1gb ddr2 667 = 1000
hdd: 80gb   = 1500
casing/psu: 1500 (generics)

total: 12.4k

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM »
I would splurge on the case, so that it will match my other av gears :)

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1459 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:05 PM »

hdd: 80gb   = 1500

Woohoo!!! nice....time to build an htpc!!!
Thanks sir!
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM »
no one includes the OS in the computation as most pinoys use the tiangge copies ;D

Ok.  So let's be honest and put 100 pesos as budget for OS Tiangge Version.  Total budget is 20,100 pesos then   ;D ;D ;D

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #1461 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:14 PM »

hdd: 80gb   = 1500

I would suggest to give an extra 4k and you'll have an extra 1gig of ram and 250gig of hd. Then you are good to go!

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1462 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM »
If you plan to store hi-def movies and lossless music files 80gb is definitely not enough.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1463 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM »
If you plan to store hi-def movies and lossless music files 80gb is definitely not enough.

a cheaper alternative is to burn it on a dvdr  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: May 16, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
I would want to splurge on a Microsoft or Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set if I have extra budget.

80GB...Hmmm... take out the space reserved for installation of the OS and all relevant applications +4GB free memory for stable operation of the PC, I think you'd be left with about 50GB for data.   That would suffice for 10 720p titles at a time.  After watching, then just burn them right away on a DVD-R for archiving.    Sayang kung i-delete because ang tagal mag-download ng 4.5GB.

Kung 1080p, 4 or 5 titles depende sa size.   Bitin Kuya.   ;D

Ooops.. I forgot something, the OS, especially Vista has a funky way of "borrowing" free memory while downloading.   For instance, while you may be downloading a total of 10GB of contents, don't be surprised to see that your remaining free space in the hard drive has been reduced by "significantly more" than 10GB.  I haven't really figured out how much the OS borrows temporarily (as buffer???) but it is significant.   Binabalik naman ng OS later - although not immediately after the download but sometime in an uncertain future time.  Bigla nalang tataas ulit yung free mem.   Thus, kung 50GB lang available memory, you might not be able to download 10 720p titles afterall.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: May 16, 2008 at 01:07 PM »
If you choose to burn the hd files to dvd make sure you use quality dvds, i had some bad experience burning some movies in dvd (even in the slowest setting) where the copy skips when played.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: May 16, 2008 at 01:36 PM »
agree with john.. downside yan pag dvdr at tumagal at nadumihan, paktay na.. hehe

kaya maganda pa rin HDD, invest in a 1terabyte :) mura naman na today ang mga high capacity harddisks..

sakin nga kulang na yung 1.5terabyte sa mga mkv files ko eh.. planning to buy external 1tb..

Offline Check

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #1467 on: May 16, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
Sirs, my set-up.

Intel E2160 1.8 Dual Core
Emaxx NF7050HD
2GB DDR2 Memory PQI
250 GB HDDSeagate SATA
Palit Daytona 7300GT 256MB ddr Sonic

Pwede na ba for HTPC set-up? Ano kulang maliban sa monitor?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: May 16, 2008 at 03:49 PM »
Sirs, my set-up.
Intel E2160 1.8 Dual Core
Emaxx NF7050HD
2GB DDR2 Memory PQI
250 GB HDDSeagate SATA
Palit Daytona 7300GT 256MB ddr Sonic
Pwede na ba for HTPC set-up? Ano kulang maliban sa monitor?

Enough for playback of 720p contents.  Might choke on 1080p contents but not a bother because most everybody is choking on 1080p.   If you are planning on buying add-on BD/HD DVD drive in the future, you must upgrade your 7300GT to at least 7600GT.

In case di ka pa bumibili, I think it's wise to increase your budget a little bit and go for E4xxx series instead; the core 2 duos with larger cache.   Tapos change the video card to HD3450.

Anong kulang?   Keyboard, mouse, DVD player, DVD writer, speaker   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 at 03:50 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: May 16, 2008 at 04:27 PM »

hdd: 80gb   = 1500

sir,

may capability ba ang emaxx na mag crossfire like the gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. crossfire daw is using a separate graphic card that works together with the built-in gpu. recommend ng gigabyte ay hd3450.